Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2019?
This poll is closed.
:judas: Chris Jericho (AEW Champion) 34 41.98%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 21 25.93%
PCO (ROH World Champion) 11 13.58%
:itjb: Rhea Ripley (NXT Women's Champion) 5 6.17%
Adam Cole (NXT Champion) 3 3.70%
:grin: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) 1 1.23%
:zerg: Rush (FORMER ROH World Champion) 1 1.23%
:spooky:Sami Callihan (Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:toughguy: Shayna Baszler (FORMER NXT Women's Champion) 0 0%
:regd20: None of the Above 5 6.17%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One vote. One vote was what it came down to last month. While AEW again utterly dominated the poll with 70+% of the total votes, it was a single, solitary vote that separated the winner from second place in November. AEW Champion Chris Jericho returned to the winner's circle for the third time this year and the second time in a row, but he was only one vote higher than AEW Women's Champion Riho who would have shared the honor with him. If just one more person had voted. Perhaps YOU. Because every vote counted then and counts now, but for November the totals are in and the only result that mattered is who got the most votes. And that was Chris Jericho. By one vote. One vote.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant: this month the dropped list includes Bayley, Becky Lynch, Bray Wyatt, Brock Lesnar, HARASHIMA, Kaito Kiyomiya, Kazuchika Okada, Kento Miyahara, Riho & Yuka Sakazaki. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:judas: Chris Jericho (AEW Champion) - Similarly to Kazuchika Okada during G1 season, I was of two minds whether to include Chris Jericho this month. Technically he didn't defend his title this month, but he has made the title the centerpiece of AEW all month AND even managed to get it talked about in relation to New Japan and the upcoming Wrestle Kingdom show where he'll face Hiroshi Tanahashi. In addition to this, Jericho put over Jungle Boy and continued an ongoing angle with Jon Moxley over a potential title shot. Maybe you don't think any of that warrants a vote given the lack of a title defense, but to me this is different to Riho whose title has also been the subject of much discussion but she herself has been entirely absent. The great thing is, the choice whether to vote or not is yours!

Adam Cole (NXT Champion) - After an incredible busy couple of months, Adam Cole was able to finish up 2019 retaining his title when he defeated - with a slight distraction from Johnny Gargano - Finn Balor in a really good match (a recurring theme with Adam Cole). Having added a former NXT/Universal Champion to his list of scalps, Cole's 2020 looks bright.

:spooky:Sami Callihan (Impact World Champion) - Sami continued his reign at the top of Impact (now the only male pro-wrestling show on AXS, after they stopped airing New Japan) with successful title defenses against Rich Swann and Rhino.

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) - Mayu ended the decade as champion by defeating her long time rival, Kagetsu for the final time. The retiring Kagetsu entrusted Mayu to lead Stardom into the future starting with Stardom's first ever match in the Tokyo Dome on January 4th. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:grin: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) - After opening the month with a title defense at AML's The Day After event, Nick Aldis went on to successfully defend his NWA Title against James Storm in a best 2-out-of-3 Falls match, a successful ending of this current iteration of the promotion's first PPV: Into The Fire.

:zerg: Rush (FORMER ROH World Champion) - Rush hadn't defended his belt for well over a month when he went up against PCO at Final Battle in a No Rules Friday the 13th Massacre... and lost.

PCO (ROH World Champion) - At 52, PCO remains a monster and a popular one at that, though perhaps not quite as popular as he was a year or so ago before signing a full time exclusive contract with ROH. He seems happy enough though, after a lifetime of never quite getting the push he wanted or being told he didn't have what it took to be a star, PCO now has the title and the adulation as his unlikely career renaissance continues.

:toughguy: Shayna Baszler (FORMER NXT Women's Champion) - After 416 days as champion, Shayna's title win came to an end. Though Asuka was champion for a longer uninterupted run, Shayna's two title reigns combined made her the woman with the longest period of time as Women's Champion in NXT. While it went perhaps a little too long and the chance to strike while the iron was hot was missed with the likes of Kairi (who got two month reign) and Io or Bianca (who both got nothing), few could doubt that when Shayna - a natural born heel - DID finally lose the title, it was a big loving deal.

:itjb: Rhea Ripley (NXT Women's Champion) - Rhea did exactly what she'd always claimed, and defeated Shayna to become the new champion. Proving that there's always somebody bigger and tougher, she and Shayna went head-to-head and Rhea came out the stronger and superior athelete. Joined in the ring by members of the roster and fans, she was hoisted onto their shoulders to end a memorable match and, with any luck, mark a definitive end to the Baszler era on top and a new direction for the NXT Women's Division.

:regd20: None of the Above - If you want to vote None of the Above, just see the results, or you're just relieved 2019 is finally about to be behind us, then this is the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mayu got the first vote. please close

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only 3 days to vote this time, I like to get the Yearly Poll up fairly soon in January before people start focusing on what last year's wrestlers are doing in the New Year instead.

I left Jericho on the poll because he's been so omnipresent using the title all over AEW and now doing stuff with New Japan/Tanahashi even if it won't go anywhere (but what if it does!) but that doesn't mean you have to vote for him if you disagree!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Voted Jericho on the basis of his match with Jungle Boy. If he were an option I would have voted Warhorse on the basis of his matches with everybody

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Gotta be Jericho, just an absolutely incredible year for him in putting people over while still carrying himself as a top guy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is not champion of the year. please re-start the poll, because of the mass confusion.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
:judas:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
thinking of voting for PCO.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

vote for pco you cowards

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Voted for Mayu Iwatani. Was really between her & PCO but I'd rather rewatch Iwatani vs Kagetsu over PCO vs Rush.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Voted for PCO BECAUSE HE IS NOT HUMAN!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If ROH were hotter then PCO would have stolen this month's vote

as it is, I voted for him, but he will lose because ROH isn't hot

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I voted for Mayu

I’ve never seen her in a match but she seems cool as gently caress.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My hot take is that the PCO meme is played out and ROH gave him the belt a year too late

Went with Jericho again in a lean month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well looks like at the moment it is a three way dance between Jericho, Mayu and PCO. Remember last month and that one vote, one single solitary vote, can make all the difference!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
vote for Mayu you cowards

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mayu is very cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping this to the 1st page, there's still time to vote and it is still VERY close.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:judas:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's a day left to vote, so you should vote!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
C'mon Mayu!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please vote, your vote matters, vote!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i already did. Thank you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

i already did. Thank you

Be more like Cavauro everybody and vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm gonna keep bumping because there are only a few hours left and that's it, and you will forever live in deepseated, inconsolable regret if you don't vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Couple hours left to get in your last votes for this month

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guy who didn't defend his title is going to win.

Y'all are bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The bad people are the ones who didn't vote! But they still have time to be good!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

vote Mayu, you dorks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do it soon, because time is running out!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The year ends with a brand new promotion dominating the hearts and minds of Rowdy Ringsports, as Chris Jericho wins the monthly poll for the 3rd of 4 times this year, all as AEW Champion, a title that only came into existence in August of this year. Jericho was a somewhat controversial pick this time around as he hadn't defended his belt in December, but the same rules that have allowed the likes of Kazuchika Okada to remain on the poll during the G1 existed here: the entire month of December in AEW seemed to be fixated around Jericho and his belt, as he put over young talent, worked an angle with his latest challenger AND even got the AEW title being talked about as a possible (if not probable) angle in New Japan in spite of a frosty relationship between the two companies. Jericho was the man of the hour and the champion of the month, and capped off a remarkable 2019 for himself and for the new company.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll put the Champ of the Year thread up later tonight.