Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HMS Beagle posted:

I'm real disappointed the Mortal Kombat series already has a Kurtis because Curtis Blaydes is a fantastic name.

Honestly Curtis "Razor" Blaydes vs. Junior dos Santos sounds more like a matchup at a lucha show in Arena Puebla than a UFC fight. Which is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

That was cool Herbert Burns.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
GDT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912437

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how is michael chiesa still unranked in welterweight

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Because beating Condit and Sanchez isn't really anything special these days. I'm sure he'll be ranked after beating RDA

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that Conor is now ranked at welterweight

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I almost never look at the rankings but man LHW is dire.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Was anyone else shocked about how that fight went? RDA has been really loving solid for a really long time. Chiesa has his name tattooed on his back so I'll always hope he loses.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Ariza posted:

Was anyone else shocked about how that fight went? RDA has been really loving solid for a really long time. Chiesa has his name tattooed on his back so I'll always hope he loses.

246 musta been nerve-wracking!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariza posted:

Not really. Chiesa has been fighting a great way siince moving to welterweight and he is huge compared to RDA. Chiesa also has pretty great grappling and did a good job of neutralizing RDA's attempts to get going in that area.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

As much as I dislike the old Conor, I respect the new Conor's way of carrying himself on social media:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1221266981438935045?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

As much as I dislike the old Conor, I respect the new Conor's way of carrying himself on social media:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1221266981438935045?s=20

We truly live in the strangest reality.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Oh Johnny

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7zL3NepdpC/?igshid=rh1nf05nbz6u

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

Not really. Chiesa has been fighting a great way siince moving to welterweight and he is huge compared to RDA. Chiesa also has pretty great grappling and did a good job of neutralizing RDA's attempts to get going in that area.

Cheisas a new man at welterweight and it remains startling that he was ever a lightweight, I've never warmed up to him though so I always want him to lose.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Ariza posted:

I had 40 bucks on Chiesa! Unforunately, I also had 100 bucks on a McMann/RDA parlay, so I wound up 20 in the hole. But yeah, RDA has lost a step and Chiesa is enormous and a very good grappler.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Is Kobe a basketball star?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It's a type of beef, op

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Brut posted:

We truly live in the strangest reality.

What would really be strange is if Stephen A Smith was ever correct about anything. How does a guy make millions while being wrong about everything, across all sports? You'd think he'd at least achieve the success of a broken clock.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

it's almost like it's his job to be wrong

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is he the sports equivalent of the "liberal" pundits that are regulars on fox news?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Being wrong is part of the whole point. Broad TV sports pundits aren't there to be experts, or to be correct. They are there to say things to get viewers interested in the show, so the show has a lot of viewers, and the cable networks get more subscribers, and the advertisers pay more for a bigger audience.

One implication that can be derived from that is that being correct would be a good way of getting viewers, and that may be true. Another great way of getting viewers is by being wrong, particularly being wrong in a controversial way. The more controversial something is, the more it sticks in people's minds, the more they talk about it, the more they share it, the more other people want to tear them down for it, and the more people then view he show to see what the controversy is about.

It's how all social media is gamed. Twitter isn't showing you what's the most correct sentiment, or necessary the most popular sentiment, it's showing the most controversial. Cable shows with lots of angry shouty guys aren't showing you the best and brightest minds that sports journalism has to offer, it's showing entertainment in the way of controversial (and often wrong, often just wildly wrong without a basis) sentiments.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 27, 2020

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
What is up with every other fight on the next card other than the 2 mains? It's really loving dire for a PPV in the US. Black Beast vs chubby Latifi is the only other one that I'm excited to watch. I figure Valentina and Jones are both going to get dominant decisions, but we've seen that enough already.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
drat, thanks for explaining that so well

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macksy posted:

Is he the sports equivalent of the "liberal" pundits that are regulars on fox news?

Thing is, even the liberal pundits on MSNBC & CNN are woefully wrong. It's not just the ones they send over to FOX.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
drat are they really?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ariza posted:

What is up with every other fight on the next card other than the 2 mains? It's really loving dire for a PPV in the US. Black Beast vs chubby Latifi is the only other one that I'm excited to watch. I figure Valentina and Jones are both going to get dominant decisions, but we've seen that enough already.

Yeah both the main card fights out of those are kind of mid card of a fight night at best.

Having said that Tafa has really bad fight IQ even for a heavyweight so he'll probably get knocked out or do a cool knock out and Ige is something of a potential contender after his mis-step when he made his debut.

Should be an ok scrap even if there's no real name value.

Valentina is pretty much garunteed a tepid decision win though.

I guess for Jones and Reyes it's kinda tuning in just in case the impossible happens and Reyes starches Jones.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
reyes is kinda hard to gauge. he beat up a lot of schlubbs easily but seemed to struggle with oezdemir, who himself seems to have gotten a lot better. but maybe this is the fight where jones looks really old. it's gonna happen at some point when he's been champ since his early 20's and put his body through a lot of poo poo. just hard to imagine until it happens.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/...ances-worth-mma

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

This is the most "well, loving duh" story since Conor punched someone at a bar.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Woodley gives some pretty honest and well spoken insight into his goings on, regardless of what you think of the topic itself.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Woodley gives some pretty honest and well spoken insight into his goings on, regardless of what you think of the topic itself.

I'm sure he's being honest about "I spent a lot of money" but trying to blame it on his neighborhood/upbringing or whatever when he has a degree in econ from a state school seems a bit suspect.

https://twitter.com/TWooodley/status/1222105978662862855

lmao, can't forget about Al.

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 28, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brut posted:

I'm sure he's being honest about "I spent a lot of money" but trying to blame it on his neighborhood/upbringing or whatever when he has a degree in econ from a state school seems a bit suspect.

https://twitter.com/TWooodley/status/1222105978662862855

lmao, can't forget about Al.

Thinking someone with a degree from Mizzou in econ obtained while on a wrestling scholarship should be good with money is kind of like saying someone should be good at fishery and wildlife management because they showed you their diploma for Pokedex completion from Professor Oak on their Gameboy Color

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.instagram.com/p/B71HGkOAtwi/

Curtis confirmed as PSP lurker

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

piratepilates posted:

Being wrong is part of the whole point. Broad TV sports pundits aren't there to be experts, or to be correct. They are there to say things to get viewers interested in the show, so the show has a lot of viewers, and the cable networks get more subscribers, and the advertisers pay more for a bigger audience.

One implication that can be derived from that is that being correct would be a good way of getting viewers, and that may be true. Another great way of getting viewers is by being wrong, particularly being wrong in a controversial way. The more controversial something is, the more it sticks in people's minds, the more they talk about it, the more they share it, the more other people want to tear them down for it, and the more people then view he show to see what the controversy is about.

It's how all social media is gamed. Twitter isn't showing you what's the most correct sentiment, or necessary the most popular sentiment, it's showing the most controversial. Cable shows with lots of angry shouty guys aren't showing you the best and brightest minds that sports journalism has to offer, it's showing entertainment in the way of controversial (and often wrong, often just wildly wrong without a basis) sentiments.

This is something that should be totally obvious but really does manage to slip into “normal” too often than it should. Always nice to have a reminder to stop putting any weight into the worth of stuff like that and social media in general.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I expected this to be him raging about someone calling him Curtis Aids

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Haha wow, the UFC twitter got hacked

https://mobile.twitter.com/ufc/status/1222264171951202306

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Down already, whatd it say?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Down already, whatd it say?

https://imgur.com/kISsJqA

And they did the same to their Facebook and Instagram

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51275786

I wonder how long until the bracelets start going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm excited to see Katlyn Chookagian fight in the comain event. She has 8 decisions in a row since 2016.