Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think cats as pets should be indoor but there is a need for outdoor cats in an agricultural setting.

Cats are a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Caesar Saladin posted:

Let them go out into an enclosed outdoor area, don't let them wander the neighbourhood randomly. Chances are they won't get to kill anything good, only a few mice, and won't get squished. Don't declaw any cats ever.

I agree with this but there is an argument to be made for farm cats. Rodents are a pestilence on grains.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Resting Lich Face posted:

My kitty was missing 14 days and miraculously found her way home. She's not been out since.

As an adult I don't let my cats outdoors unsupervised but I grew up in a family that did. We had a neutered male that was chill as gently caress. He was a gnarly hunter (sorry, birbs) and would scrap hard with other neighborhood cats. But be also was so chill that he adopted young male cats and they'd both come through the cat flap in our house. Like our cat was like "hey just bringin' my buddy by for a snack, hope that's cool."

But be would disappear for like a week at a time and we were fairly certain be had multiple families. If he was gone longer my parents would check the local pound and he'd invariably be there. Not even in a cage, they'd just let him roam around and chill on their desks with them because he never fought animal control and was just plain chill af with everybody.

Looking back I wish my parents had just kept his rear end as an indoor cat but holy hell was that a cool cat. These days my parents have wised up and keep their cats indoors same as I keep mine indoors.

But anyway that's the story of Manny the extremely cool outdoor cat.

Even every time he ended up in the pound was from a cat trap and he was chill af with the animal control people. Almost like he was "ahhhh gently caress they got me but hey man there was wet food in here wassup"

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 3, 2020

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

That definitely happens to outdoor cats dude. Animals aren't very smart.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I miss my childhood cat Woden, he was cool as hell and would bring my mom dead birds and rodents while she was gardening as a "here dummy, maybe someday you'll be on my level" flex.

As bad as cats gently caress up bird populations this is still hilarious to me that cats do this because we are obviously very lovely at getting our own birbs to eat as far as they can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Laslow posted:

I got what’s called a “Florida room”. Like a screened in porch, but still a room with four walls with windows all around. So my cats can feel the breeze and the sun, chase and kill lizards that might get in and all that without any danger.

I had an indoor/outdoor cat that lived to nearly 20, but I also had 2 others disappear. Gilded cage it is for my cats. One is fraidy cat and the other is Siamese, so he’d either get stolen or get himself killed for being a psycho and doing something dumb, which is just normal behavior for a Siamese.

Can confirm siamese are insane. My boy is half siamese and he's got quirks out the wazoo even for a cat. Also he never shuts the gently caress up ever.