Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (October 23, 1988)

Life imitates art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

You know, it’s really easy to win an argument against a strawman, Zelda.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/4/00

Brenda Starr 3/16/41

Smokey Stover 10/6/35

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 5, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

The logo belongs to the national liquor store monopoly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

He is lucky to be married to Betty Boop and loves her quite a lot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
This guy loves his wife!

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side
Inevitably, their affair ended: Howard worried excessively about what the pack would think, and Agnes simply ate the flowers.

Holbrook's entire life defeated by a single image

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Holbrook's entire life defeated by a single image

It really is, "what if I devoted my entire career to doing worse versions of a perfect joke."

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Further waning of church's relevance, this time by maternity counselling, a service that counties are mandated to provide, free of charge, by law. It is roughly analogous to Planned Parenthood.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Man, retreading these Far Sides it’s pretty nuts how good they still are and how many people have failed to imitate Larson

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 10/6/35

I've been admiring the chief's false teeth recently, they rock.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This was the original first speaking line of Mildred. She started out strong, as you can see.
I love the shocked reactions to her saying "wee".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dismas posted:

Man, retreading these Far Sides it’s pretty nuts how good they still are and how many people have failed to imitate Larson

So very few of them manage that "doodled something and then gave it a caption" energy that really makes The Far Side special to me.

The fact that a lot of ripoffs even go as far as ripping off Larson's art style really doesn't help though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 24, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 31-Sept 1, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 17-18, 2016)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Dick

Duck

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

This guy is the worst.

Guest artist week for Dustin?

Guest writer, all of Dustin's bile comes from its writer, Steve Kelly. The artist is Jeff Parker, and by all accounts, he is not a piece of poo poo

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shugojin posted:

So very few of them manage that "doodled something and then gave it a caption" energy that really makes The Far Side special to me.

The fact that a lot of ripoffs even go as far as ripping off Larson's art style really doesn't help though.

The only one I feel is just as good is Ballard Street, but that’s a whole other level of crazy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

BigglesSWE posted:

The only one I feel is just as good is Ballard Street, but that’s a whole other level of crazy.

Yeah, Ballard Street just went off and did its own separate but similarly weird thing, which is great.

So, it's time for a big ol' catchup post!

Adam @ Home

BCN

Phoebe

Quarantine is getting to Will Henry

Curtis

Unsurprisingly, the Comics Kingdom commenters are really disappointed that this week's strips didn't end in child abuse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Great Swamp is a real place in RI

I used to canoe and camp there.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Shugojin posted:

Which Far Side knock-off was it that had aggressively bad art and every character had a boggle-eyed :stonk: look on their face? It ran for years and it always looked like the guy drew it with his feet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
close to home

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

root posted:

Which Far Side knock-off was it that had aggressively bad art and every character had a boggle-eyed :stonk: look on their face? It ran for years and it always looked like the guy drew it with his feet.

p much all of them

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

close to home

Thaaaaaaaaaat's the one. Ugh...

SOME GIZMO :stonk:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zelda feels way worse because there's DtWOF to compare it to. They both do similar things, but Zelda can get pretty obnoxious at times.

Zelda moralizes to strawmen so her opinions are automatically right, Mo has her opinions but she's not treated as being in the right all the time. Zelda and her friends arguing over issues feels empty because it's always a setup to the joke of everyone being hypocrites, Mo and her friends have firm beliefs and their arguments just serves to explore and give nuance to all of it. A lot of the things Zelda brings up like gender parties or food you want to eat makes it incredibly dated, DtWOF's brings up issues that feel more timeless such as disillusionment against a government that doesn't care about you, relationship issues or feeling depressed and tired in this hell world.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Man in Black

Gonna need a little help on this one.

F Minus

Mark Trail

And that's when she realized...Mark Trail...was the imposter!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Sutra Oyle is a character from the 80s.

Hey, let's get ready to tell this story! (JethroMcB)

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Tiggum posted:

This guy is the worst.
You ain't wrong. This woman has already shown the patience of a saint with this guy as far as I'm concerned.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

root posted:

Thaaaaaaaaaat's the one. Ugh...

SOME GIZMO :stonk:

this rules actually

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Johnny Walker posted:

Gonna need a little help on this one.

He sells apples and is a snake (forked tongue). I guess that barely passes as a joke, but it's something.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know what bugs me most about the Anne Eiffel poo poo? It's not that we're supposed to cheer on Tiff's downfall, because despite the reactions of some of the GC commentariat, I don't believe we are. I really do think that Team Evans wants us to see Anne as the evil one and disapprove of Tiff's treatment at her hands (even if they do, in general, seem to enjoy punishing her for her past). But Luann is a gag-a-day strip and the Evanses do NOT break out of that format. Even when doing storylines with more serious themes,the characters have to be getting sick burns on each other. Thus we have this whole week where Anne is openly abusing Tiffany, emotionally, financially, verbally, and we at home are supposed to be getting a big chuckle out of it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fingerpori

This is impossible to translate, so I'll just explain the pun:

Panel 1
"How has your restaurant faired during the (COVID) limitations?" (All restaurants were take-away only until June 1st)
"It's been okay..."

Panel 2
"We have been selling out of window."

luukusta = out of window
luu-kusta = bone piss

But hey, there's more! In the first panel there is an 'easter egg' pun:

ravintolanne = your restaurant
ravinto-lanne = nutritional hip

In Finnish, deadlift literally means 'pulling out of ground'.

In Finnish the instruction can be read as "whip while you are at fridge temperature".

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

He sells apples and is a snake (forked tongue). I guess that barely passes as a joke, but it's something.
Huh. If that's it I guess I didn't need an explanation after all. v:shobon:v

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's a joke to be made here about those military contractor bozos who tried to do a coup in Venezuela and failed miserably.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

ravintolanne = your restaurant
ravinto-lanne = nutritional hip

holy poo poo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

riderchop posted:

holy poo poo

Finnish is a made up language solely to confuse outsiders and I firmly believe they speak something else when no one's looking

Also ACAB is KPOP in finnish lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kennel posted:

Man in Black

Kennel posted:

Ohhh, it's a tongue. I took that for his other shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #69 (1989)

This is still a tricky issue today-- I was out to friends and at work well before I was out to my family, and our landlord didn't know until he showed up during the protests this weekend and saw me and my wife holding hands. Obviously the situation is quite different in 2020 than it was in 1989 (and for trans folks the issue of "passing" is a whole different wrinkle) but this is one of those strips where the topical stakes still feel relevant and urgent. As late as 2005-2009, when I was in college, I knew plenty of queer people, but far fewer out queer people, and surveys back up that while the amount of people who report some degree of same-sex attraction or sexual experience has remained pretty high all around, many more people today identify as queer than in the 80s.

Aside from that, the Emma subplot continues, and Lois' pose and expression in the second to last panel are adorable, as Bechdel continues to deepen her character by putting her in the unfamiliar position of being the one pursued by a more aggressive lover. Her bolo tie also rules-- insofar as Bechdel is always pretty good at believable and consistent fashion for each of her characters, Lois' butch looks in particular largely remain timeless fits.