Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'd kind of like to see a variation on that where the individual steals the song, pretends to write it, registers it, but keeps it on the down-low until the real song comes out, waits for it to be a hit, and then sues the band for copyright infringement.

But the band company has money, lawyers, and private investigators,and manage to prove in court that that the individual is a time traveler from the future who stole the songs, win the case, and are awarded the time machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FrumpleOrz posted:

There's no world where a Beatles album released today would be as popular as it was back in the 60s. I could see an album like Abbey Road having a dedicated fanbase but it would probably be closer to the small but loud Guided By Voices obsessives instead of any sort of pop culture explosion.

Lennon–McCartney were such a strong songwriting duo that I think you could make hits out of their catalog in any era, just not necessarily sounding like Beatles songs. Especially the early stuff, because tweens and teens will forever eat up pretty boys singing "love me do".

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

MariusLecter posted:

Important question; would Everet True wear a mask? If so, would his wrath be unleashed on those who do not wear one and also people who wear a mask but have their noses uncovered?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Agents of Shield had one person steal various songs from the 80s last week. A few years before they'd be released, so you avoid the "playing the music outside the moment that helped it be a hit" thing but there's still the marketing/band factor just getting glossed over. One nice touch is that the lyrics aren't exact, he's going off memory.

I always remember the line "so they'll still talk about us when we die" from Jesus Christ Superstar as "so we'll all become famous when we die" which is such a ridiculous departure beyond the mere tone that I'm not sure how I came up with it. Which is an oddly appropriate segue for today's comic.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This particular translation takes a lot of liberties with the original meaning, but the only one that's particularly easy to explain is the punchline. The word Taku is using is circumcision, which doesn't sound as weird in natural speech in Korean because it's easily broken down into its Chinese origin- 包莖手術, or surgery involving the container of your roots. So Taku's churlish tone is entirely my embellishment, solely because in my opinion there's no way to casually discuss circumcision in English that doesn't sound completely ridiculous.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My niece had a creative writing class assignment about this, and instead of music, she went for Harry Potter; she didn't have all the books memorized, but her idea was if she got the first one done, hopefully the agents would sign for more. And her big plot twist was that love potions had been banned post Voldemort, and Dumbledore was a far more open person about being a puppetmaster.

I told her she aimed too high: Harry Potter risked market saturation, but Twilight could be written with your eyes closed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Herb and Jamal

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lodin posted:

It strikes me as unrealistic that a children's school cafeteria would leave salt shakers on the tables. I guess Susie keeps one in her lunch box?

nah, it's a thing. They're usually all-plastic affairs though.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe our resident True collector has a bigger version but

At the risk of working someone else's territory, here''s The Outbursts of Everett Flu.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

howe_sam posted:

Lennon–McCartney were such a strong songwriting duo that I think you could make hits out of their catalog in any era, just not necessarily sounding like Beatles songs. Especially the early stuff, because tweens and teens will forever eat up pretty boys singing "love me do".

Oh yeah, I think select songs would work well in any era with the proper arrangement that matched the time but I don't see the songs becoming the incredibly huge influences we connect with the songs. It might end up more like those songs on that compilation The Songs The Beatles Gave Away where they were hits at the time but most didn't exactly become household names.

I love The Beatles and the Lennon-McCartney team but George Martin's production makes those albums and songs. He's the reason I get too drunk and listen to "When I'm 64" a dozen times in a row or want to listen to just side 2 of the White Album.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As the last poster to post a lot of Everett True: he would pummel me if I tried to get territorial over something like this. Y'all are great and I love seeing Everett in action. Does the heart good to see him in a mask.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Everett True is for the people

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

http://hell yes

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Herb and Jamal

Huh. It's real, and continuing today. Any chance you or someone else could post these, at least until the story arc's over? I can tell it's not easy, given that you posted the black and white version rather than the color one on Comics Kingdom which can't be easily swiped.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

The complete lack of variation in reaction shots in Take It From the Tinkersons makes the drawing look lazy. But it does lend itself well to a certain kind of nonplussed response. Kind of similar to Mr. Boop in that way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The times we live in where mild-mannered Herb & Jamal goes all in on BLM and at-least-ostensibly-urban Curtis either ignores the matter completely or vaguely goes "oh no, protests" in its general direction

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, Mr. True. If only you didn't have the jingoistic spiel during WW1, then you could have been nearly perfect.

Well, that and the racist representations every so often. But that pretty much goes as read, seeing as it was a comic from the turn of the century.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Everyone's favorite Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know what all this Everett True chat has put me in the mood for? Old Everett True posts.

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (December, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Slammy may be gone but his posts are still with us.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 14, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A coming out party? Have I missed something important or does it mean something completely different?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poil posted:

A coming out party? Have I missed something important or does it mean something completely different?

"Coming out" refers to the process of being introduced to society. It was originally used in the context of introducing young women into society when they reached marriageable age, and was later adopted to refer to young people joining the gay community.

In the case of this strip I really don't want to speculate on what the hell the writer was thinking.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Poil posted:

It's for when a young person is about to start their career as a model. I've heard of it more for teenagers than little kids though, not that I've heard of it happening very much at all. A friend of a friend had one back in high school is about the sum total of my familiarity of the practice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

"Coming out" refers to the process of being introduced to society. It was originally used in the context of introducing young women into society when they reached marriageable age, and was later adopted to refer to young people joining the gay community.

In the case of this strip I really don't want to speculate on what the hell the writer was thinking.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's for when a young person is about to start their career as a model. I've heard of it more for teenagers than little kids though, not that I've heard of it happening very much at all. A friend of a friend had one back in high school is about the sum total of my familiarity of the practice.
Thank you. A bit disappointing but probably what they mean. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, "'coming out' and 'being gay' is a fad for spoiled children" is also completely in line with the strip's brand.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

But if she was gay why would she need a boy date? So she could spurn him and dance with a girl instead?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

honestly I'm so used to this strip being dogwhistle rightwing that I didn't even think about whether it made internal sense, which it rarely does anyway, I just filed it under "Detorie's usual bullshit" and moved on

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In 1700 Saint Petersburg, nowadays Europe's fourth largest city, didn't exist. That area, Ingria, had been under Swedish control for over 80 years and was populated largely by various Finnic peoples, many of them new settlers.

Yes, the kings of Sweden, Denmark and Poland (as well as the duke of Holstein, who appeared earlier) were all grandchildren of Frederick III of Denmark (and none of them were siblings). Naturally this meant that there was an eternal peace.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I keep waiting for Man in Black to run out of gags but he doesn't and they're fun every time.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Huh. It's real, and continuing today. Any chance you or someone else could post these, at least until the story arc's over? I can tell it's not easy, given that you posted the black and white version rather than the color one on Comics Kingdom which can't be easily swiped.

I don't want to cut Ghostlight's grass, but until they take it :

The comments on GoComics are just as you'd imagine them to be.

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 14, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

:nws:

:nws:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Man that Mr Boop is sure lucky he got to be in a coma so he could have that incredible dream.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Look, That Rabbit's Got a Vicious Streak a Mile Wide!

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/13/00

Brenda Starr 12/14/41

That's right, Brenda has been viciously beaten by a crook, but what really gets her dander up is being called ugly.

Smokey Stover 7/19/36

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well that certainly took a turn.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

King Aroo 1/18/54

They'll Do It Every Time 1/20/47

Mopsy 1/30/43

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

At the risk of working someone else's territory, here''s The Outbursts of Everett Flu.

Word for word what the anti-maskers say a hundred years later.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Smokey Stover chugging down that Banana Boat like it’s fine wine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone have any dates on those Everett True comics?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For the ones I posted anyway the guy who uploaded them appeared to have access to all of them. I imagine if you went through his posts one by one and counted manually when he switched to a new month you could figure out the exact day of publication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lodin posted:

It strikes me as unrealistic that a children's school cafeteria would leave salt shakers on the tables. I guess Susie keeps one in her lunch box?

Back in my day (60s-80s), we had them. The cafeteria folks actually made the food from scratch, too. :corsair: