Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

An archive of previous adventures is available here. We're currently near the beginning of episode 78, "The Grim Joker."

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

amigolupus posted:

Jokes? Punchlines? Who even needs those, right? :geno:

To be fair, the Crankshaft is a poop joke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nono, the Keypad Kid is a mascot for something to do with "the digital divide" I forget the specifics at the moment.
The Keypad Kid© is the mascot of the Keypad Kid Project, which hopes to educate the public on new waves of technology to bridge the digital divide at homes, businesses, churches, and special groups.

Apparently, my avatar is the Early Warning Bird, which has no stated purpose. There is also a dog named Pound for some reason.

That said, Charles Boyce is a extremely nice man who is trying to help people and in my opinion is a National Treasure and I feel bad about making fun of his work but I just can't help it.

lmao

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

For about 11 months I've been translating and posting Surgeon's Tales. It's a comic based on Finnish author Zachris Topelius' historical novel that was published originally between 1853 and 1867 (original Swedish language title: Fältskärns berättelser) and not particularly well known outside Finland. The comic itself was published in the 1950s and follows the original text very closely.

Recap:

The story began in 1631 and so far we have followed mostly Kustaa Bertelsköld, a Finnish soldier who turned out to be a bastard son of Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus/Gustav II Adolf. He and his descendants were cursed by his grandfather and blessed by his mother and there is also a magical ring that is said to bring a great fortune for anyone who holds it. It's somewhat ambiguous if magic is real or if it's just God's will, but Bertelsköld becomes a count and a general before he gives a false oath and drowns. The ring is lost, but I'm presuming it appears again soon enough.

The year is now 1671 (I think) and while I haven't read ahead, we will probably start following Kustaa's son Bernhard Bertelsköld who is shown to be a tender-hearted unlike his ambitious father. While the Swedish conquest in Poland didn't work out, they managed to took large regions from Denmark and control most of the Baltic Sea.

Swedish empire in the 1660s (yellow):

And here we go, with even more :words:

I'm sure we will learn more about the Battle of Poltava (1709) before next Christmas, but let's not get ahead of our story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_X_Gustav_of_Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XI_of_Sweden

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Dustin Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 3, 2020

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

The Keypad Kid© is the mascot of the Keypad Kid Project, which hopes to educate the public on new waves of technology to bridge the digital divide at homes, businesses, churches, and special groups.

I remember looking up the Keypad Kid® Facebook Project™ at some point last year and finding that it had not updated in like 6-9 months.

Also the last update was like a cropped version of the Keypad Kid® thumbnail from the most recent (at the time) Sunday Strip.

Charles Boyce is a man who understands that it's important to be very computer savvy in the modern world but is completely lost himself.

quote:

Pooch Cafe

Oh wow, a comic about my downstairs neighbor's dog that has been barking since 1 PM today and hasn't stopped!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay that new!nancy is the worst yet, it's so boomer-esque in its complaining

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

For about 11 months I've been translating and posting Surgeon's Tales. It's a comic based on Finnish author Zachris Topelius' historical novel that was published originally between 1853 and 1867 (original Swedish language title: Fältskärns berättelser) and not particularly well known outside Finland. The comic itself was published in the 1950s and follows the original text very closely.

Recap:

The story began in 1631 and so far we have followed mostly Kustaa Bertelsköld, a Finnish soldier who turned out to be a bastard son of Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus/Gustav II Adolf. He and his descendants were cursed by his grandfather and blessed by his mother and there is also a magical ring that is said to bring a great fortune for anyone who holds it. It's somewhat ambiguous if magic is real or if it's just God's will, but Bertelsköld becomes a count and a general before he gives an false oath and drowns. The ring is lost, but I'm presuming it appears again soon enough.

The year is now 1671 (I think) and while I haven't read ahead, we will probably start following Kustaa's son Bernhard Bertelsköld who is shown to be a tender-hearted unlike his ambitious father. While the Swedish conquest in Poland didn't work out, they managed to took large regions from Denmark and control most of the Baltic Sea.

Swedish empire in the 1660s (yellow):

And here we go, with even more :words:

I'm sure we will learn more about the Battle of Poltava (1709) before next Christmas, but let's not get ahead of our story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_X_Gustav_of_Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XI_of_Sweden

I'm glad you take the time to do the translation and introduce this to us, it's really interesting.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Surgeon's Tales is 50% of the reason I follow this thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob

Yes late 70s to somewhere in the 80s Lynn, trans men exist.
:hai:

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll timg it in future posts.
As for papa and mamma, this is Moomin's dark origin story, before he met them.

The family is such a central part of everything that it feels weird not to have them around yet though.
I wouldn't timg it, imo. It's really annoying to have to click multiple images in a row to see them(to the point where a lot of people won't bother), and the forums automatically resize images to fit the tables anyway. :justpost: normally.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

hahahahaha, he's made me such an rear end in a top hat this rules.

Yes, it is I, actual Mark Trail bad guy, Dr. Vargo, here to post the good good comics we all know and love and also there's Curtis at the end for some reason.

Breaking Cat News by Georgia Dunn is about three cats that report the news of their household. They are good boys who say "ma'am?" whenever they have to ask a question. It is sometimes overly saccharine and has way too many characters but it's a thread favorite because it's generally very cute and can really pack in a high gag-per-panel ratio when it wants to.

Phoebe and her Unicorn by Dana Simpson is about a little girl who is friends with a unicorn. Sometimes there are dragons and goblins and stuff, but mostly it is about daily mundane kid stuff when your best friend happens to be magic as hell. Occasionally uses "unicorn" as a punchline too often.

Thread favorite Wallace the Brave by wine-and-cheese-store-owner-and-nice-guy Will Henry is cream of the crop. It's about some kids hanging out in Rhode Island. The art is fun and whimsical and sometimes is just Will wanting to draw a cool monster or something. Bonus points for Wallace's parents being the best parents in comics.

By the way, all three of these comics, plus nu-Nancy, are the result of one editor at Andrews McMeel - Shena Wolf. Follow her on Twitter and say thanks: https://twitter.com/nancysweatyedi1

And then there's Curtis by Ray Billingsley, a strip with occasionally good character design and artwork but also sporting some of the clunkiest writing of all time. I will regularly remind you that Billingsley is 62 years old and is still angry about kids with their pants hanging down and the rappers these days. But it's okay because he has his sixth grader stand-in say it instead.

Curtis used to run an original sci-fi story during Kwanzaa and then Billingsley stopped doing it for like five years. But this year, he started up again for some reason. Here's the entirety of the story so far, including the most recent strips I haven't posted yet:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIFLtNYI3Ls

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Obvious:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/13/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/19/46

Mopsy 7/29/42

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

'Be more positive and see the good instead of the bad' sure is some hypocritical bullshit from this boomer-rear end comic. Also I don't remember Dustin ever getting into get-rich-quick schemes so I'm not sure why that gets brought up.

Vargo posted:

hahahahaha, he's made me such an rear end in a top hat this rules.

Yes, it is I, actual Mark Trail bad guy, Dr. Vargo, here to post the good good comics we all know and love and also there's Curtis at the end for some reason.

I figure the only way James' attempt to own you with this story can end well is if you post a clip of all the times Dr. Vargo looks completely traced and James implodes from totally-not-being-mad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is a strip based on a 1970s independent science fiction movie series. It's a bit obscure now, but worth watching. These were printed as the series was coming out, so certain revelations in later movies weren't known by the strip's creators. It has a bit of a pulpy feel and follows the main characters of the movies. We're starting back up with Darth Vader Strikes, starring the main villain of the series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News by Georgia Dunn is about three cats that report the news of their household. They are good boys who say "ma'am?" whenever they have to ask a question. It is sometimes overly saccharine and has way too many characters but it's a thread favorite because it's generally very cute and can really pack in a high gag-per-panel ratio when it wants to.

BCN is one of my favorites and I can't recommend Georgia's Instagram as a supplement enough. Almost all of the people and animals in the strip are based on her family and pets or those from her life in general. The newest addition to the strip, Goldie, is a cat they fostered last year who they eventually adopted, which was a story that made its way into BCN in these past few months (Lupin's distrust of her in the strip is based on his taking an awfully long time to warm up to her in real life). As someone who follows a whole lot of cat instagram accounts it's a very good follow and super sweet to see the real cats behind the comic.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

'Be more positive and see the good instead of the bad' sure is some hypocritical bullshit from this boomer-rear end comic. Also I don't remember Dustin ever getting into get-rich-quick schemes so I'm not sure why that gets brought up.

In Dustin, just earning a livable wage upon hire is a "get rich quick" scheme and incredibly presumptuous.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Happy 2020, I enjoy this thread thank you to everyone posting comics/edits - reading it is my regular daily 10:30am coffee break at work and is much appreciated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set sees both sides of the issue.

Working Daze stumbles right out of the gate.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix lives the high life.

Cul De Sac makes its own fun.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hooray new thread! Perhaps I can keep up this time as I've slacked off far too long and missed a bunch of stuff. Hell, maybe I can be extra good and participate instead of just reading!

Also I've just noticed that the Thimble Theater posted is from 1936, does that mean I missed out on our chance to get meta with the introduction of Goons into Popeye's world? (Google says this happened in 1933).

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Walker posted:

Apparently, my avatar is the Early Warning Bird, which has no stated purpose. There is also a dog named Pound for some reason.

That said, Charles Boyce is a extremely nice man who is trying to help people and in my opinion is a National Treasure and I feel bad about making fun of his work but I just can't help it.

Bles. Yeah, Boyce is alright, he means well. He's just so charmingly befuddling most of the time. But he's never been lovely that I'm aware of. He just doesn't understand technology, at all.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Charles Boyce is a national treasure, and I'm glad he's still doing his delightful, if somewhat baffling, comic and I hope he keeps doing it for years to come.

Changing topics, I like this thread title but I wish we'd gotten more time with "WHEN A MAN'S CONSCIENCE IS GONE HIS SOUL IS DEAD." That was a fine title.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kennel posted:

Also forgot that I made this:

Crom bless us each and every one.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As far as I can tell, Charles Boyce is an absolute sweetie pie and even though it is fun to make fun of his technology comic in this thread, I like him a lot and hope he is always having a good time all the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

catlord posted:

Changing topics, I like this thread title but I wish we'd gotten more time with "WHEN A MAN'S CONSCIENCE IS GONE HIS SOUL IS DEAD." That was a fine title.
It's now enshrined in the OP forever.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

As far as I can tell, Charles Boyce is an absolute sweetie pie and even though it is fun to make fun of his technology comic in this thread, I like him a lot and hope he is always having a good time all the time.

I don’t believe Bets has shown any interest in this level of social media posting/streaming before. This is such a hamfisted assassination of her character.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/1/00

Yes, the Y2K Bug did not actually end civilization!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I wouldn't timg it, imo. It's really annoying to have to click multiple images in a row to see them(to the point where a lot of people won't bother), and the forums automatically resize images to fit the tables anyway. :justpost: normally.

Should I do that? Normally I'd agree with you but the images I post are extremely vertical and much more difficult to ignore if I don't tag them.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This one was a pun. Hitting something uses the same verb as quitting.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 3, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tuxedo Ted posted:

In Dustin, just earning a livable wage upon hire is a "get rich quick" scheme and incredibly presumptuous.
Dustin wants a livable wage on 40 hours a week, how entitled!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

I don’t believe Bets has shown any interest in this level of social media posting/streaming before. This is such a hamfisted assassination of her character.

I'm pretty sure Bets telling Gunther to keep charging Tiffany 50% for selling her stuff was also Team Evans' attempt at character assassination. Not that it matters since the incels at the comment section have already decided to hate Bets from day one.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

What exactly is "the internet of things" again? Because that sounds like the stupidest way to call whatever your thesis subject is supposed to be. Also, wouldn't Dethany telling the appliances to behave mess up her boyfriend's thesis defense? I mean, how can the committee even be sure that the appliances are working as intended if Dethany told them to behave a certain way.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

amigolupus posted:

What exactly is "the internet of things" again? Because that sounds like the stupidest way to call whatever your thesis subject is supposed to be. Also, wouldn't Dethany telling the appliances to behave mess up her boyfriend's thesis defense? I mean, how can the committee even be sure that the appliances are working as intended if Dethany told them to behave a certain way.

"Internet of Things" is the term used to describe "smart" appliances and outlet plugs and the like; household objects that can be controlled via the internet.

(The security of IoT devices is pretty poor and a very complex issue, so get ready for Galaxy Brain Holbrook to deliver a hell of a treatise on the topic)

you can do whatever you want any day you stupid child

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

It's the current trend of making your lightbulbs and refrigerator and your door locks and poo poo internet connected. It almost universally has terrible security, so there's a high chance it'll end up as part of a botnet or something. Among other reasons it's almost always a terrible idea. This isn't a term Holbrook made up.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Selachian posted:

Yes, the Y2K Bug did not actually end civilization!

While it wasn't going to be as apocalyptic as the media made it out to be, theY2K thing WAS an actual, and big, problem for a poo poo load of systems that were running critical infrastructure.
People spent a poo poo load of time and effort FIXING the bug BEFORE it was a problem.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Green Intern posted:

I don't believe Bets has shown any interest in this level of social media posting/streaming before. This is such a hamfisted assassination of her character.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. I guess they have to make her worse so it's not quite so obvious that she's way too good for Gunther.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

With one time bonus Wizard of Id, because :confused:

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

With bonus baffling comment:

Footrot Flats

e:

Some Guy TT posted:

Should I do that? Normally I'd agree with you but the images I post are extremely vertical and much more difficult to ignore if I don't tag them.
I'm not the Thread King even though I'm OP this time, so don't feel like you have to listen to me. :v: But it is slightly annoying, although I can't speak for the people who don't read your comics. In conclusion, :shrug:.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 3, 2020

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 20, 1937)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

1. You don’t defend a master’s thesis.
2. That’s 100% not how a doctoral dissertation defense works.
3. gently caress you holbrook

Like what the gently caress type of master's thesis is this supposed to be where you invite your "defense committee" over to see you securing a bunch of IoT devices at your own home? Your loving thesis/dissertation is supposed to be an independent academic work another academic can pick up and understand your thesis and its arguments based on the merits of that work, not having to pop round to yours to see you secure your IoT fridge and blender.

4b. gently caress YOU HOLBROOK

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I appreciate when large comics I don't read are timg'd, and I never find it a particular hassle to enlarge the ones I do want to read. So you can take my opinion for whatever you think it's worth. :shrug: