Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vargo posted:

We've been talking so much about Saint Lisa, but isn't there a moment in the future where Les gets a phone call from his dead wife telling him not to get on a plane, which then crashes, or something like that? I swear I'm not making this up. I think.

Yeah it happened and it's also never brought up again I think in favor of a much more boring plot of "les consistently failing to reach the final stage of grief"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The history of childcare is just insane. Harry Harlow for example had to torture monkeys in order to establish that infants do in fact like to be comforted.

There was even a Super Fun Pak Comix about it :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Batiuk surprisingly admitting Lisa's Story is actually about Les and not Lisa

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Funky wouldn't really be that bad if it weren't for TomBat's love of ending something on a tepid 1-liner and smug face

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo I actually laughed at a joke Brooke McEldowney wrote

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Front facing Jon is a little disturbing here.

It's very Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

:psyduck: The Ghost Who Was Dropped On The Head As A Kid.

The Phantom of Men meets the Phantom of Lions

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Scene from a corporate fairy tale

Gary Larson's pre-imagining of "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 25, 2022

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Ghost Who Has To Introduce Himself To People When He Moves In just doesn't have the same ring to it :sigh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The Cockhorns:rimshot:

LockHORNs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

maltesh posted:

2006 would have been X-Men: The Last Stand. Not the franchise's finest hour.

And yet, not it's darkest as it would turn out :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

goddamn Calvin and Hobbes is so good at drawing funny faces. I know as a kid I tried to re-enact a bunch of those.

I still really enjoy how... STRETCHY... the bad food always is in calvin & hobbes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

dismas posted:

Man, retreading these Far Sides it’s pretty nuts how good they still are and how many people have failed to imitate Larson

So very few of them manage that "doodled something and then gave it a caption" energy that really makes The Far Side special to me.

The fact that a lot of ripoffs even go as far as ripping off Larson's art style really doesn't help though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

holy poo poo

Finnish is a made up language solely to confuse outsiders and I firmly believe they speak something else when no one's looking

Also ACAB is KPOP in finnish lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm no expert on raising kids, but dumping your baby, who is only a few months old, under the care of your teenage son, who doesn't even have anyone to help him or experience with babies, is some seriously messed up parenting.

Is Michael a teenager in this one? I thought he was like 8 or something

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

What the hell
Elizabeth is older than 8 in this one

I barely pay attention to foob so I am extremely fuzzy on the timescale :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress, Jeremy

also why is he "dirty" at their anniversary date, what is with the crosshatch poo poo?

the joke is that he's not irresistible and is in fact a slob, evidenced by his dirtiness and devouring that pizza

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

"But...Heloise is so much better at kicking rear end!"

"What the gently caress does that have do do with it anyway? If I bite it they can just go let him know!"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't get the deer joke with the antlers unless it's that she's transgender?

As for Zelda, yes, you dummy, most lesbian ads feature super femme women, you'll about as common see a more butch lesbian as you will two burly gay guys kissing in an ad that isn't in a gay magazine. Yes, it's annoying. That said, shut the gently caress up.

a doe is a female deer and they do not grow antlers so yes Rae the doe is trans

I didn't put this together until the comic today I am very smart

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Look who's back on Twitter.

:cripes:

but if they fire him, how will we get such exciting things as *checks notes* a really long time of the big dog andy running in the woods

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

holbrook can't be consistent with how people in Murder Hellworld use their sense of smell, can he

one story, spraying on some rabbit pheromones and nothing else is a perfect loving disguise

another story, somebody standing next to a gopher can't tell that he's a gopher because he's wearing a mask.

that loving strip disgusts me in so many ways I don't think I even know what all of them are

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

So it isn't reasonable that a slender woman wouldn't be showing?

She should be. Whether this is because they've decided she's faking it or just because they didn't understand this when they were drawing her I don't care to wager.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

ah, the eternal dilemma: fatshaming is garbage and you shouldn't do it.....

....but drat if it isn't funny when it happens to Ed, garbage person

also I love that stupid "hello fatty" gif

otoh Ed Kudlick is exactly the kind of person to go to a doctor who would do this so lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Update: James Allen has deleted that tweet.

can't handle how the dog and bear are occupying the same general part of the panel with the same general everything

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Anne isn't married to Tiffany's father but they're still living together and he's letting her make all the financial decisions? Bwuh?

he's into findom don't kinkshame him

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

is this the phantom coming to hallucinogenic terms that his daughter is better at Phantom things than his son

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 29, 1939)

I really love Val's facial expression here:

val is not much enjoying grindr i see

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SubNat posted:

It really smacks a lot of 'oh, but you're one of the good ones.', where racists/bigots are hateful against groups of people, but not -you-, because they know you. (Or in this case, eat those groups of people.)

She'll probably end up together with him and they'll be madly in love, and the only difference between him and the countless of sapient beings she's murdered for sustenance is that she met him and talked to him a bit first.
Literally unable to emptathise with or humanise anyone they don't personally know, or have had a positive experience with.

One can only assume a lot of them aren't even capable of that or there wouldn't be a law against eating the people you know

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I vaguely remember that the reason ultimately given for the weight gain was that Tiffany was depressed because she was feeling increasingly isolated from her father and far away from home. I don't remember if we were actually told this at the time, but that's been the implication ever since then at least with all of Tiffany's personal problems directly relating to a strained family relationship.

That's what I think too but I can't tell if it's just applying basic empathy to figure out that she has some sort of a stress related eating disorder

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Mason must be utterly desperate if he is really putting up with Les Moore being involved in this movie.

Mason has some very undeserved respect of Les Moore

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

lmao

good job, colorist

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

On one end Ann Eiffel has always been presented as unsubtly monstrous and unsympathetic but on the other end what other resolutions are there? Miscarriage? Short sighted fake pregnancy? She gets outed as a cheater? None of these would be satisfying.

The writers not spending years being really mean to someone based on the concept of bullying the one character who is based on the daughter

the whole thing is weird as hell

also when is the last time luann was even in luann

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

How would the marshmallows being play-dough affect the cup's structural integrity? Am I missing something?

I think the baby put the mug back together with play doh which leaked a bit before it fell apart.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Comic Strips 2020: Eat poo poo James Allen

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The only time my mom ever hit me was when I was like 3 and about to cut my hand with scissors like a big moron and it was her instinct to stop me. It worked but she felt extremely bad about it for ever after.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

How do you go even get the idea that it's the same ultrasound from "the baby in it is waving", they all look the same.

Also don't medical images have timestamps and poo poo

bad writer

also this whole thing sucks and even though ann eiffel is supposed to be awful this is a really lovely plan, cause unless her plan is to fake a miscarriage and get sympathy (???) she's gonna need to come up with a baby eventually

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Weird Al is the only one of these three that seems like they'd be any fun to play with

Tolkein would get way too into it and talk only in Elvish and Elon would insufferably rules lawyer with a wrong interpretation

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

love too break up my kid and his girlfriend because i'm a coward who won't make sure they know about safe sex

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Oh, Billingsley. (Also, who is Lola?)

drawing cathy on-model turns her into the only character in the strip without a nose and it's horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

dunno if you know this skelley but people who aren't single go on dates all the time

i'm not even counting adulterers, literally this is what people who are in long relationships do