Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Let's start the new year off properly.

With some Moomin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhUkHHzmbQ
(Feel free to substitute in whichever language version of the intro you prefer.)
Double dose, because I didn't have time to scan them yesterday.

And Moomin dealing with his house being occupied by his poor relations seems like a good fit for the current season.

e: is the size alright with everyone? 1000px width should be enough to fit on pretty much anything nowadays. And I really don't want to make them so small the details go away.
Because there are so many tiny lovely details everywhere.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

The size is fine, but maybe use timg to post? That's how I do Star Wars which will return tonight!

Also, what happened to Moominpapa and Moominmamma? :ohdear:

Yeah, I guess I'll timg it in future posts.
As for papa and mamma, this is Moomin's dark origin story, before he met them.

The family is such a central part of everything that it feels weird not to have them around yet though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, looks like a quick +50 brightness, +50 contrast puts it roughly at that spot.
Pushing it a bit further also cleans out the ghosting from the other side of the sheet, too.

Better, or too stark? Judging it on a terrible laptop that prioritized 144hz over decent black levels and contrast is a bit hard.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Green Intern posted:

In Security is astonishingly bad on the eyes.

In Security was the 'Horny Alexa thirsting for the author insert' strip that was posted for a bit last year, right?

Moomin and the Brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

Atleast it'll be a while until I run out.
Though I have to say, as I leafed through the stories again while scanning them.
The stories seem a bit meandering until vol2, where they start getting a bit more focused, and shorter.
I imagine it has a decent bit to do with getting used to the format, and having a more established setting to do some of the heavy lifting.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

The first few stories feel rather strange in a way, they're kind of unfocused and meandering, as if it's all just a long, surreal dream sequence.
If you hop between vol 1 and 3 there's a pretty major change in how focused and concise the stories are.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin the scab

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Barnaby (May 2nd-May 7th, 1942)

I remember the last time it was posted, it's nice to see it again.

But I'm just never able to get over just how perfectly clean the entire thing is drawn.
Just the constant, near perfect linework that makes it seem like a cut-and-paste vector based comic from this century.
Despite being a generation prior, and the product of a -lot- of work and skill, I assume.

It's vaguely eerie in a way I just can't really express.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Brigands

Same Moomin, same.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin the baloomin (balloonmin?)

Ps: drat that's a fine elephant avatar, Archyduchess.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin: the senzation of the age

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the big bag of identical, mixed seeds.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mummitrollet

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and his poor relations

I've always had a soft spot for Hattifnatter, they strike me as a kind of mostly-benign animal that people are terrified of.
Though I guess much like the Groke/Hufsa, people were terrified of them due to how they were presented in the series.

I had a friend who was still utterly terrified of the Groke even when she was in highschool.
(Though it probably didn't didn't help that I once taped a giant Groke paper cutout to her window, left it open one winter evening, and got her to pull apart the curtains to check why it was so cold in the room. :v:)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

And thus it ends, I didn't feel like posting that last strip on it's own tomorrow.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's midlife crisis

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and THIS MUG

It's adorable how tiny Moomin is drawn in some of these panels.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and family life

I'm pretty curious what Sniff is stringing on that thread, they look far too large to be a normal berry necklace.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

I do love how Tove Jansson said gently caress it and completely retconned the whole Moomin universe for the newspaper strips.
Actually, did she have any involvement with this thing?
Like Snork Maiden was already living with the Moomins when they first meet Sniff. And Snufkin was already an old friend of Moomin Dad when the books started. This comic make no sense and it owns.

Involvement? Her name is on each strip.
As I understand it's just her and her brother Lars who made these, with Lars taking over at some point later on.

But yeah, I can understand why she did a retcon/reboot for this though, as this comic series was for a british newspaper, where people might not have been familiar with Moomin at all, previously.
After the first couple of stories the strip settles into the same status quo of the books though.

(Apparently she did a strip of Comet in Moominland for a swedish newspaper some years prior, but the Moomins were rejected for being too bourgeouise.)

Look at that tiny moomin. :3:
I don't suppose anyone has this? Seems like it went out of print a great while ago.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 28, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

Looks like my local library has a copy of the English version (as well as Swedish and Finnish)

It seems mine does not.
Is there any chance you could borrow it and scan/photograph them? It would be very interesting to see those strips in action, especially since they were made like a decade before the strips I've been posting.

Lodin posted:

Falk is still on every Phantom strip so that doesn't mean much, but yeah. Fun facts.

That is true. Though she did work on these directly, as Falk used to do on Phantom in the old days.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

Can do. Remind me in few weeks if I forgot (my sleeping schedule is silly, so they often close before I get off the work).

Nice, that's great.
I've still got 11 more stories to post once Family Life is done, but it would be fun to sneak in 'Story #0' in between some of them as an intermission of sorts.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Why did the art for this bad comic get worse?

As you can see by the CLEAR LACK of character growth and development (ie the lack of Rita's ICONIC water bottle) this is obviously an older comic.

As to why we're being punished with additional, older strips of Working Daze, I have no idea.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah gently caress, I'm an idiot. Parsed your question the wrong way.
But yeah, I imagine it's mostly that the artist on the new one isn't particularly skilled and/or doesn't give a poo poo.

These comic pairings with 1 dedicated artist and 1 dedicated writer are so strange, considering how many really good comics manage to somehow have 1 person do both.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

"Not murder this time, just a bit of counterfeiting and smuggling."

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

I'll be posting End of the World at some point (there's still ~25 V&W strips left and I'll handle those first)

Ah, great job.

If we stagger it a bit, I'll be done posting Moomin + Family Life and Moomin on the Riviera in 32 days. (10 until I'm done posting Family Life.)
If you started posting it then we could have just 1 moomin story running at a time, having it run as an intermission of sorts.

As for posting random stories out of order, my opinion is to just do them chronologically. I remember there being a bit of a mess of 'wait which stories have been posted?' anytime someone wanted to post Moomin in the past. Since a couple stories just got posted out of order.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and Family Life