Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Charles Boyce is a national treasure, and I'm glad he's still doing his delightful, if somewhat baffling, comic and I hope he keeps doing it for years to come.

Changing topics, I like this thread title but I wish we'd gotten more time with "WHEN A MAN'S CONSCIENCE IS GONE HIS SOUL IS DEAD." That was a fine title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I don't believe Bets has shown any interest in this level of social media posting/streaming before. This is such a hamfisted assassination of her character.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. I guess they have to make her worse so it's not quite so obvious that she's way too good for Gunther.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Here we loving go

Oh please, God, no.

gleebster posted:

No, but he's going to make a stupid mess of it. I know I won't read it, because I know Holbrook doesn't respect me as a reader. Why will you read it?

I was told that suffering built character.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This is easily one of my favourite Charles Addams cartoons.

EasyEW posted:

Last year around this time we tried a few fresh things from the newspaper morgue on for size, so how about we take a look at Rube Goldberg for a few days?

Sounds good to me!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hal Foster Prince Valiant got posted for a while in a previous thread, but unfortunately the poster ran out of sources partway through and had to drop it. I'm glad to see it back! Can't wait to see Etrigan show up again, that was a treat to see.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Modern Dick Tracy has just completely lost the thread and I don't understand why they think they need to keep going back to the stupid theatre. I really am disappointed, because pretty much up until the surprise anti-Semitism arc I thought they were doing pretty good, and since then it's just meandering into nothing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It was an arc about anti-semitism, not an anti-Semitic arc. A ripped from the headlines style story based on that huge vandalism spree at the Jewish cemetery in Pennsylvania a couple years back, if I remember correctly.

That came out of nowhere in what we thought was an arc about... thefts at a comic convention, I think?

Anyway, also glad to see Bloom County back, I've always loved it. I read it as a kid and so much of it went right over my head, it's great reading it now that I'm older.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'd be curious to see Cathy, especially classic ones. I never disliked it as a kid, but I remember not having an issue when my local newspaper replaced it with Pearls Before Swine either. I wonder if it took a while to find its niche, or if it mostly started there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze needs to learn that "always has a plastic water bottle" is not a loving character trait.

"Makes me no never mind"?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

Not gonna lie, I'd be willing to give points to Brewster Rockit if this is a call back to a 2017 strip.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

He's like Blackjack, but without the charm.

Edit: I checked just to make sure I wasn't mixing his name up with someone else, and I found the Dick Tracy wiki. It has this little gem in it:

Dick Tracy Wiki posted:

Blackjack was an early original creation of writer Mike Curtis, appearing in Curtis' Dick Tracy fan fiction.

Which unfortunately doesn't have a source (in fact, it appears there are no sources at all on this wiki), but drat does that explain a whole lot.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 13, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Gripey Griperbean

I'm torn. On one hand, I loving hate flying and I empathize with anyone having a miserable flight. On the other hand, gently caress you Les, you miserable old gently caress. I hope your luggage "accidentally" ended up on a flight to Australia.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

This doesn't look awful? Admittedly as a product of the '90s and 2000s my tolerance for random humour is rather high, but I could almost see why a newspaper would pick this up. It's certainly got more life to it than the poo poo they (Zarkour and the new artist, that is) churn out now, art-wise at least. I can't wait to see how quickly it gets really bad.

Tiggum posted:

The first two were pretty good puzzles for children. The second two are a bit Inspector Danger. Don't you know that women always take their hats off with two hands?

That last one is wild. I wonder how many women got away with murdering their husbands because the police just assumed the weapon meant it couldn't possibly be the wife.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do remember most of the cast but one of the best later strips was when one of the couple's kids went to camp, and his gay uncle worked there, and some kids began calling something gay, naturally meaning stupid and lame. The kid asked his uncle about this, and the uncle retorted that gay meant awesome, for example, his shirt, which was tight and form fitting and showed off his muscles; by comparison one of the other camp counselors likely wore the same shirt, stained and loose, because it was the only clean thing in his closet. Kid goes home and asks his moms to get him more tight fitting muscle shirts because "they're super gay."

That was the first one I read, in one of the earlier threads, and frankly every time I think about it it makes me giggle.

Also, Archyduchess, I'm gonna miss "what's she postin' in there?" but I love your new avatar.

ukonvasara posted:

These both really throw into stark relief how godawful the current Working Daze art is! Miller in particular has a sort of breezy 90s clipart style that's fairly pleasant to look at. (Also presumably helps that the classic strips we've seen so far are just fairly generic office humor and not nerd_thing.txt on repeat...)

Yeah, they're not good, but they're not completely irredeemable like the modern crap. We've only seen three, but each one of those three is better than anything we've ever seen from the current ones in all the time it's been posted.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Let the kid stay there. We know she's okay because she's a time traveler!

The mechanics of time travel from what we've seen are so hosed. It's not really time travel, it's dimension hopping but the timelines of the dimensions are out of synch, hence the "time travel," but as we saw with that stupid loving comet there are differences between these dimensions (as the future lady noted, that comet was destroyed thousands of years ago in her timeline, which raises all kinds of other questions frankly, like how she even knew about it in the first place if it never threatened her Earth). Even were this baby to bite it in the vents, her (blonde?) "future-self" should still be alive because she's not even from their universe, she's an alternate universe doppelgänger (but blonde?).

Holbrook really needs to decide if he wants science in his comics to be realistic or wild, whimsical magitech. He wants to have it both ways, but better writers who don't have to split their attention between three projects have tried and failed to do that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

When is science ever realistic in any of his comics?

Just often enough to stand out. There's no reason he should note signal delays in a comic where you can drink a DNA potion and turn into a macaroon, or not just have time travel work like in Terminator instead of this dimension-hopping thing he's got going on (thinking about it, it's a bit Michael Crichton's Timeline, and about as poorly thought out).

I mostly liked Retail, I'll be sad to see it go. If looking for a replacement, I wouldn't mind seeing Gil again, though it sounds like it's not running any more either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Yeah, plug that baby in the hole.

Surely they have the DNA of a small animal or something just lying around, I don't see what the issue is.

Also, look at that boat in Hagar. And the two people loving dying on-panel.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

I liked Cats. I'm not saying it's a good movie, but it won me over. I enjoyed my time at the movie theater. And as was mentioned earlier, it's a weird play. The movie was always going to be weird. Trying to make Cats a normal movie for a normal afternoon out was never going to work. They had to go balls to the wall bonkers, and I'm glad they did.

I had a friend who said she enjoyed it, but also noted that she went early in the morning, smoked four joints before going in, and sat in the front row in the local theatre with recliner seats. I don't think I'd call it a ringing endorsement, but you know.

What?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz Blech. Yeah, I think I'm done posting Frazz and I'm gonna drop it. I doubt anyone is going to object.

I thought Frazz was ok basically up until I discovered the janitor's backstory, and then it seems like it just suddenly got way loving worse. I assume I just wasn't paying that much attention until then, but man.

Julet Esqu posted:

Ahh, NOW we can finally swing it around to it* being Bets fault for posting video and pics of her and Gunt cosplaying and having fun at a public event. (She DOES have a tendency to start streaming and posting without telling him, but he hasn't told her to give him a heads up before she hits the stream button and seems to enjoy the attention, so whatevs.)

I really don't understand why the commentators hate Bets so much (I mean, I have some suspicions, but you know). She's one of the few even somewhat decent characters in the entire strip, and even with a few flaws (like, yeah, give your SO a heads up before streaming) she's a way better person than all the main characters. And they've been down on her since the very first time she showed up! Way before we even saw this flaw.

Edit:

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 22-23, 1986)

I forgot to mention this one, but I was always amused by it. A while ago I took a ceramics class and at one point, unsure what to do and with some time and clay, I just punched an ashtray into being. Talking with my neighbouring fellows, we discussed this very concept. I mostly use it to burn incense on occasion.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 23, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

lol

I know it's been said, but holy poo poo. Just... holy poo poo, it keeps getting worse/better. It's kinds weird, because as wonky as it is in many places, Edge of Adventure is definitely better than that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

amigolupus posted:

So instead of dong his job as a babysitter properly, he's making a list for the parents to make sure all the blame falls on the kids. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

What? He got the kids into their beds without making it into a big thing. He's just reminding them that ultimately news of their behaviour will get back to their parents and that as the babysitter, it's his job to relay that kind of information, and that maybe they should rethink what they're doing. It's not Roslyn's approach, sure, but it's not bizarre.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has terrible code and sentence structure.

I am constantly amazed at how little lead-time this comic has, but I guess that'd require effort and an editor willing to read this garbage. At least old Working Daze had art that wasn't just awful on every level and something resembling jokes.

Please post more Ballard Street.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Major Crime Squad

A) gently caress off, Flintheart, nobody likes you.

B) Is it just me or does Vitamin Flintheart look like a slightly younger (or less hosed up) Fly-Face in panel 1 of this MCS?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

9 Spankbank Lane

Remember when I suggested that Brooke has an entire basement filled with sketchbook after sketchbook of smut featuring his characters? I think he's dipping into them now.

I think that's one thing that gets me about Brooke McEldowney, that fact that he's seemingly super lazy. He doesn't do backgrounds beyond the bare minimum, whatever he thinks of is written down without thinking how to make it work for a newspaper comic or editing it, and while he's better at depicting motion than the Frazz guy it's still not great and he's been doing it for years now. Him just grabbing pictures from his sketchbook shouldn't surprise me given that time he just ran his own stupid commentary on individual panels (about loving) for two weeks, but it feels like a new low (well, every single new storyline is, but you know).

Edit: At least we have James Allen's Mark Trail meltdown to keep us warm in these troubled times. Seriously though, Vargo must have been one of the best hikers to go that long without anyone noticing he was missing a leg.

Haifisch posted:

Staton/Curtis' Tracy fanfic continues to be more action-packed than their actual Tracy run.

Yeah, I can absolutely see why they got hired in the first place.

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 13, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Drimble Wedge posted:

I used to post Scary Gary back in the day:

Ooh, I always liked Scary Gary. Glad to see it again!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Ah, I see we've looped back around to this fetish.

Edit: gently caress, this probably means we'll be getting a Nazi Grandma arc soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ignoring 9 Chickweed Lane because Jesus, John Cleland would tell you to tone down the horniness Brooke, and focusing on the Sunday Funky: uh... Netflix at least has a little bar that tells you if you watched something? It even fills out based on how much you watched, so if you stopped halfway through you can pick it back up! You don't need to remember where you left off! Someone mentioned their bafflement at how he doesn't seem to do any research at all before dropping references to stuff which makes his comic so bizarre to read, and I've gotta agree.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

looking forward to him eventually popping his clogs and Taschen publishing a gigantic hardbound collectors' edition of his unpublished notebooks and sketches

we will look back on the James Joyce fart letters as prudish, dainty souvenirs of a more wholesome era

Unfortunately, if this happens someone will have to bite the bullet and buy it for a trip report here.

I have to admit, I am a little curious if he plans stories out beforehand or if it's all done off the cuff, but at the same time I'm pretty sure reading his notes wouldn't be dissimilar to reading The King in Yellow.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

What?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

No poo poo? When stuff you thought was extinct suddenly appears, that's not a sign that they spontaneously arose from the muck, that's a sign that they never went extinct in the first place. There is a continuity between ancient coelacanths and the modern ones, this is pretty basic stuff.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

That's actually kind of a surprise, I just assumed everyone was mostly ignoring it while I inflicted it on the thread for my own weird notions of chronological posting. If I'd known ahead of time how rough this first collection was I may have skipped posting the comic.

I'm not sold on it yet, but you did note that these were the original pitch so I'm waiting to see how it develops. Or at least to see some stoned hedgehogs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Drimble Wedge posted:

Dude, you could have coloured ONE of them.

That is actually something I've noticed, I don't remember it doing this before, but the recent ones you've been posting have at least one panel not coloured. When did that start?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

I like Jaana. She kicks rear end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

What? No, Mars lobbed those at you all on their own. There was a whole story arc about it!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 18, 1937)

I know I can go and find it whenever I want thanks to, you know, the internet, but I'm really excited to see this upcoming moment in comic history again. I've been waiting for this since you started posting Prince Valiant again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 25, 1937)

Val's kill count: 9

Just what I was waiting for.

Green Intern posted:

Gone Gone the Form of Man, Rise the Demon Etrigan!

:respek:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

And the D&D group only had d6s, what the heck. Edit: And a deck of cards too.

All rogues, all the time, plus their DM likes to draw from the Deck of Many Things. Now that'd be a campaign.

Edit: gently caress, someone had the same thought I did.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Cursive is a poo poo writing system that serves no purpose now that people don't have to handwrite things all the time(so writing speed isn't really a factor). It's straight-up worse than print if other people being able to read what you write is the goal.

My mother has the worst cursive ever, it is ridiculously difficult to read and more than once I've had to call her to ask just what this note she left actually says. I meanwhile only bothered to learn how to sign my name and I've never had an issue (though my signature has slowly devolved into squiggles that just kinda look like cursive). I don't remember me being left-handed causing me any more issues than normal, but my memories of school are a little fuzzy anyway. God, I remember looking at the side of my hand after class and it just being shiny with graphite.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, it's not often that I think someone should lay off of Gunther, but drat Bernice.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I do love this one. The Bloom County collections we had when I was growing up started after Opus was introduced, so one of these threads was the first time I saw the earliest of them I think.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gunther is trash, I hope Tiff snaps and shanks him.

I think I've settled on Bernice being worse, but I hate Gunther more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know we say it all the time, but man Wallace is so good. The animal's noises, the mom doing the excited fake shock, Wallace's mittens flying off...Will Henry really knows how to use small details and gags.

It's like the anti-Fort Knox, where all the little gags are stupid, trite, and pointless.

It's also like the anti-Fort Knox in that it's good in general.