Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So I'm too :effort: to start posting a third NSM timeline, but if you're into it there's this magical thing happening in the NSM thread:

Johnny Walker posted:

I was considering ditching these reruns and going into the Punisher story from 2004 and going from there, or even just as far back as CK goes, which would be this from 1998.

Johnny Walker posted:

The thread has spoken.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dustin needs to find a new temp agency because this one clearly has been doing jack poo poo for him for two years.

I have a dim hope that she's going to give him a 'we're not getting back together' talk but suspect we're getting a 'I should have trusted you' talk instead. Nevermind that "if I was using drugs again, would I be able to stack bottles nicely?" is some nonsense logic.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

To recap: CEO of Crywood Teuvo Isopaljo got, by chance, a contract to make juniper balls for 1.5 million. For this purpose he arranged the creation of a new company, Juniper. He then let Juniper fall and pocketed the money himself. On the ruins of Juniper Anja Koskinen created the worker-owned company Nappila; however, the workers have slowly been selling their share, Pekka Syrjänen among the first so he could buy a house. Anja has also slowly expanded Nappila, eventually buying the rights to Arvi Grönberg's ecobio-toilets. Meanwhile Crywood had gotten into financial trouble and to survive Isopaljo had to become a subcontractor for Nappila and essentially a subordinate to Anja. Feeling that Nappila was becoming too big for her to handle, she let outside investors in who have now become the de facto owners and, with Anja agreeing, installed Ulf Ekman as the new CEO of Nappila.
Mammila has an issue where every time I notice it's doing something interesting, it relies on 500 other pieces of backstory that(as far as I can tell) happened 50 strips ago. So thanks for the summary.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Hey, weird question: if I change my username to something I didn't come up with in middle school, can the OP be changed to have my new username? Not that I'm especially proud of the unspeakably lovely font I made as a teen, but, you know.
Just mention it here if/when you change it and I'll update it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

See, I gotta disagree about Rex Morgan at this point in time - it's actually doing a pretty good job of depicting what life is like right now, I think. People are bored, antsy, separated from their loved ones. It was put in a very weird spot as an ostensibly medical drama at a point in history where all of our lives are, to some extent, a medical drama, and I think they're doing as well as they can. Read day-by-day, you might think get on with it, but as a soap opera narrative that will eventually be a cultural artifact, it's good.

I would also like to use my remaining time to say that Crabgrass is consistently very good, like in a way that makes what it's doing look easy (which it isn't).
What bugs me is that they're avoiding the medical drama in the actual hospital, which would both make for a more dramatic story and also educate readers that 'hey, just because you got bored of the performative Our Healthcare Heroes stuff 6 months ago doesn't mean that nurses and doctors stopped having to deal with a ton of poo poo thanks to this'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Benefits of only posting old comics: no big catchup posts when I don't post for a week thanks to irl poo poo.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Sometimes I've wavered on whether I want to keep posting old rex morgan, but at least things happen in it.

And on 'some things never change' comics:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

e:

LazyQ posted:

It was mentioned on Discord that a character page would be nice. Here's the ones from the album, hope it helps.

"Mikko Koskinen: Baby" is killing me.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 4, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

gleebster posted:

And no wonder I can't keep anyone straight in Mammila (imagine I spelled it correctly). There's more characters than War and Peace.
Edit: I got it except for the diacritics, huh.
I think my problem with Mammila is half that, half that the comics keep changing between plotlines and when it switches you have no idea what the context is for anything going on. And within each comic it tends to bounce around so much that it's hard to follow what's going on unless you've been paying strict attention since the beginning.

The art is great, the plots are great when I can understand them, but I feel like it needed an editor to keep what's going on coherent within each individual strip. As it stands it's kind of like reading Bad Machinery except you're only reading every third strip and just trying to puzzle out what happened in between.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Recap: This week Buck was tired, so he laid down to take a nap. He did so, and awoke later somewhat thirsty.
I'm so starved for actual medical drama in Rex Morgan that I will accept a 'Buck has type 1 diabetes' arc. (increased thirst+unexpected weight loss+being hungry all the time is a triad of symptoms that screams type 1.)

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

There's nothing wrong with disliking hugs, and it's good to respect people's bodily boundaries. :colbert:

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Suddenly, a gunshot rings out and Brandy falls, dead before she hits the ground.
The moral of the story is: You don't actually know what's best for yourself, so listen to other people when they pressure you to go back to a relationship that wasn't working. :confuoot:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

The Boardwalk? Now? Do they dare?
He's going to re-propose and she's going to accept. The end, no moral.

goatface posted:

Tinkersons has actually grown in ambition rather than declined, it's quite rare. It's also prepared to go weird with the serial killer coworker and has background features like the mother's obvious drinking problem. It's just odd enough to maintain interest.
It also has subtle stuff like the teacher not being one of the two Standard Comics Teacher Stereotypes, which I think someone else mentioned a couple days ago.

quote:

discussion of how C&H's portrayal of Calvin dressed as a native american stereotype aged poorly
This is extra funny/facepalmy in the context of Phoebe having just done a 'sometimes beloved things from our childhood age poorly in certain aspects' thing a week ago.

It is, in fact, good and healthy to both notice the bad things in old, cherished media and to accept that they were bad. It's a sign of how you & society have grown since the media was released, and a measure of how you're capable of engaging critically with media instead of just passively consuming.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 9, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

"I'm already halfway out the window and all you have is a knife, lady."

Locher Tracy, featuring a chilling disregard for human rights

Footrot Flats

Also another reminder that this work of art is going on in the NSM thread:

Johnny Walker posted:

Well, that headline would sell papers.

Edit: The more I look at this strip the more a work of art it becomes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

It's literally worse for your car to get higher octane than regular if that's what it's designed for.

(My car takes premium :negative:)
Yup. Car fuel 'grades' as presented by gas stations are bullshit. Everyone should ignore all the marketing speak making higher octanes out to be superior/premium/whatever the station calls it and just look at the numbers. Your car's manual should tell you what octane it needs; if it doesn't specify then it almost certainly just takes regular.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
May wanna spoiler that one for racial caricature.

quote:

I missed the powerful Katrinka. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Now I swipe with one pointer finger.
Same here. This entire conversation has been extremely confusing to me because it sounds like Tiggum uses his phone the same way and goons are all 'what, nobody uses a phone like that, what the gently caress'.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics/b]

Locher Tracy

[b]Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I'm going to add the permalink here. You should try looking at the comic on Imgur directly. You won't be disappointed.

imgur.com/a/kEGrCco

quote:

Sign in required
This page may contain erotic or adult imagery. You'll need to sign in if you still want to view it.

By continuing, you acknowledge that you are 18+ years of age.
It's adorable imgur thinks people will make accounts just to view an image.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

You don't actually need to. They'll take your word for it that you're eighteen. I just find it funny that their censor algorithm will flag an image for having a fully clothed woman in a school uniform but didn't find anything objectionable about pages and pages of Axa being half/fully nude.

Catlord's dump of the bad plotline wasn't as bad as I was expecting by the way. It's not like they're talking about the whole breeder plotline every single strip, although it's so drat long I can hardly blame Catlord for skipping it.

Incidentally that page has twenty-four hits now compared to ten when I read it yesterday. Which suggests to me that this thread does indeed have quite a few lurkers! Feel free to comment lurkers! Some of us bite, but others will stick up for you, as you may have recently seen.
It literally won't let me continue unless I sign into an imgur account. There is no "I'm 18, promise" option, unless it's extremely well hidden. Clicking 'sign in' brings you to the sign in page, as one would expect. :shrug:

Honestly imgur has been working like poo poo(uploads fail half the time for no goddamn reason) ever since they started trying to push ads on people. I might just start using discord as my image host since all the other alternatives make you upload one at a time and go back to the upload page for each individual image, and I don't have time for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The car was $300. It doesn't take a genius to expect that it'll basically be scrap metal unless you're some sort of turbo-enthusiast who's willing to spend a shitload of time and money restoring it to a functioning car.

Yes, that's what I'm choosing to focus on here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Foortot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Shiroc posted:

Is this in the actual Little Women book or is Olive explicitly driving it towards a trans masc story?
Apparently that is, fact, how Jo was in the original:

https://littlewomen.fandom.com/wiki/Jo_March posted:

Jo was a reckless, daring child. She often wished she 'was a boy', and as consolation enjoyed whistling, using slang and ruffling up her clothes (which were a great trial to her, especially when she grew old enough to wear long skirts) - all symbols of masculinity in the period. Jo loved to read, and would spend hours doing so, reading books such as The Heir of Radcliffe, over which she ate apples and cried.

https://www.them.us/story/little-women-greta-gerwig-jo-march-queer posted:

At the outset of Greta Gerwig’s new film adaptation of Little Women, a young Jo March (Saorsie Ronan) declares to her three sisters that she cannot “get over [her] disappointment in being a woman.” The line is nearly a direct lift from the original 1868 Louisa May Alcott novel, in which Jo’s characterization as a rambunctious tomboy has left readers wondering if she is actually queer (with some arguing that she's actually transgender) for over 150 years.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Drakyn posted:

I just completely overshot it then; I was sure this was a joke about some specific guy out there. There was a Perry Bible Fellowship long before PBFing, and I have fallen for it.
Cow Tools is a cultural touchstone for a reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

curtadams posted:

There's a lot of webcomics I love but they just don't get an audience like the newspapers could. Biggest hit I can think of is Andrew Hussie's Homestuck but that was really sui generis and pretty niche. It seems off that they don't get going - comics were originally a big draw to get people to read newspapers, and now people can follow them for free. But they don't.

Edit: xkcd has gotten some traction in popular culture.
I think at least part of that is because people have a ton of content available and aren't limited to whatever's being spoon-fed to them by the newspapers(and tv/radio stations) where they live. Harder for any one thing to get massive traction when there aren't outside forces making people only look at a handful of things in the first place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Other people with old comics: "Look at these old ads"
Me: "my paper scans are talking about Jonestown today :smith:"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Daduzi posted:

Has Dunham ever seen an animal?
The reindeer resemble reindeer more than that octopus from however long ago resembled an octopus, at least.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

catlord posted:

Edit: also, Imgur is being real loving lovely with their ads.
Ublock origin blocks them fine, and as far as I can tell the ad during uploading is just taking the place of some of the initial processing time anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I hate each and every piece of media that acts like two people of different genders can't care about each other without it being romantic caring.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Paging that one goon with the 'hello, fatty' av.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

And for a small peek into the times, you may notice a theme here:

(poster's note: Wright Angles is purestrain conservative boomer garbage and this is hopefully the only time I will post it)

Feminism/women's lib/etc pops up a lot in the '78 paper, which isn't super surprising.

And another bonus, because it reminded me of these tweets:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics BUSTER IS COMING

Footrot Flats

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

lol Kelley thinks there's still non-governmental jobs with pensions
Acknowledging anything about how modern employment or the modern job market works would cause the entire concept of Dustin to crumble.

Johnny Walker posted:

Is anyone planning on starting a new thread for next year?
I can do it again unless someone beats me to it.