Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Cleaned up, disembodied fist removed

big mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Critically, this is also not how landmines work. They explode when stepped on; they don't wait patiently while someone tries to defuse them.

This, at least, is covered in the text, you just have to turn your head sideways to get it. The landmine not going off immediately was a fluke.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

Wallace

This is literally a Rose is Rose joke but not lovely.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Popeye's Cartoon Club

I really hope CK sticks with this guy he was born to do Popeye.

I think he needs a co-writer. Randy's got great jokes and an encyclopedic knowledge of POPEYE LORE, but the voices are just off. They talk like S*P characters, not Thimble Theater characters.

Thinking about it more, he's writing them with a lot more ironic awareness than TT characters generally show. Most of the Popeye cast should be mumbling their way through a confused daze.

e: case in point,

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater

There's a sincerity in how the TT characters just keep rolling with whatever insanity comes their way, where Randy's writing them as knowing and detached. It works great for a couple gag strips, but wouldn't stand on its own, I think.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 3, 2020

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

They made a movie (Rom Com) about a world where the Beatle's never existed called Yesterday. Except this one guy remembers.

That's the movie that they just watched and are discussing in the comic. Full circle!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, not exactly that movie...

Within the margin of error, plus or minus some timefuckery

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I am so glad that Mr. Boop's love for his wife Betty Boop kept his muscles from deteriorating while he was in his coma.

The secret is that he didn't have any muscles before the coma either, so there was nothing to atrophy.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Holbrook came up with this joke in 1995 and is so proud of it he's still using it and will still be using it if we're still alive in 2045.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

ahahaha jesus christ

(it's a joke about the current state of the world)

I think it's adorable that Arlo is still looking forward in terms of months, rather than weeks or days like the rest of us in hellworld.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

curtadams posted:

Beware Alec! Gina is still fully covered by copyright!

Yeah that's why they're not married anymore obviously

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

I like the drawing of Zelda (the person) in this strip. Something about her expression is really compelling.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

That is a shaving cream can.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Are there any where Everett True tries to smash someone and just gets floored by a pro boxer or a jiu jitsu suffragette or something?

Only Mrs. True can lay Everett out; it's an axiomatic assumption of the comic.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm pretty sure I say this about three times a year in these threads, but boy, do I love Popeye.

:same:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

One time I was riding in a car while my friend was driving us down a winding country road. We crested a hill and saw a peacock in the middle of the lane. We were going to fast to avoid it on such short notice. The peacock was facing straight at us and fully deployed his tail feathers, just before we hit him.

I still laugh when I think about how that was completely the wrong evolutionary response to the situation.

In that situation, what else is it supposed to do except scream "gently caress ME" in peacock language?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think he didn't actually sell the land, he just gave Daddy Trail permission to use it, under the impression that Happy would expand farm acreage onto Jolly's land, and give Jolly a share of the profits grown on that land. Instead, he just dumped all his garbage there, destroying the land quality and not producing any actual crops to share the profit of. Basically pulled a Toys R Us on Jolly's land.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

I love Moominyena.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sept 24-25, 1988)

Wallace's mom would have gone to Mars with him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU