Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery follows a group of teenage sleuths as they investigate various (usually paranormal) mysteries in the town of Tackleford.

quote:

Happy new year! Bad Machinery resumes - if you've forgotten where we're at, go back to the start of Mildred and Shauna's fishing expedition at the Chamber of Commerce. If you missed any of this year's Christmas special, it's archived on the New Bobbins section of the site.
The quotes underneath are taken from the Bad Machinery website, which often provide additional insights and links back to earlier stories to provide context. In this case it was rather serendipitous.

Edit: And 'Beavers' is the youngest level of Scouting in the UK, in case anyone was wondering.

Also, Perturbed Mildred is great av fodder, IMO.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Mildred's behind-the-scenes detective double-crossing has come to light, and Lottie is poised to work this angle.

Some more good av material here. I don't know why they cut the last speech bubble from the original strip, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today, Romesh brandishes a "tyre iron" or "tire iron", the club of choice in dramatically impromptu action situations. I like this guy.

Kind of funny that only a few months ago Romesh was robbing Amy's, and now he's chasing off the robbers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Palette swap posted:

Caught up this year.

You are a disgrace to your avatar. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Amy moves among the rogues, and encounters a figure from her distant past. He's changed, yet somehow remains...suspiciously familiar.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today: a brief history of Amy's relationship with Dixon Lovelace, a man who, if we recall wasn't the most moral human being in Tackleford.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Amy enters Lovelace's sanctum sanctorum. It's as you'd expect: secret door, chaise longue, decanter. Boilerplate.

fisting by many posted:

The linked comic could be a Super-Fun-Pak crossover. It's totally on-brand :allears:

I really need to go read the SGR archives one day.
I recommend it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

A deeply bus-centric Bad Machinery today, inspired by my first visit to Hemel Hempstead as a driver. I'm lucky to be alive.
I've actually survived a similar roundabout in Swindon. The horror...the horror...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weembles posted:

You got to drive on The Magic Roundabout ?

I did! I think my driving instructor actually took me there to learn once, the absolute madman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

I think today's road-related comic was inspired by the derailing of the Ilkley bypass in the early 1990s. I'd bypass everything if I could, including common decency. But I'd start with Ilkley.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Deep into the tenth Bad Machinery case, my preoccupations are fairly well defined, sewage and sewers chief among them. What's going on down there? Enquiring minds... want to know.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Rogue element Lovelace runs into more rogues in a backstreet "situation" sure to quicken the pulse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Every antiques rogue in Tackleford congregates upon Amy's shop. To think she was a figure of fun just a few weeks ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Amy and Shauna take a proposal to Miflin (last seen here). Several proposals. Few of them palatable to a scruffy magnate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I really don't get what the issue is here, and why they are all being so pissy about Beckwith-Chilton.

The other antiquarians likely still see Amy as an upstart. Probably on account of the victory dances in her younger days.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 17, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today's comic summarises the story so far so that I don't have to, although in drawing this comic, I did have to, but I had fun doing it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Lottie's mum's map marking finally has its part to play today. It's time to take this mystery to bits.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

WHO DAT? Reading today's comic, it's possible to forget that this isn't an actual newsroom, it's just a load of teenagers that Charlotte, on "work experience", has invited to lig around making cups of tea.

Regarding Cats chat, or as they call it in France, Chats Chat, I have only this to contribute:
Warning, may be :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ7Q0Rras78

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 22, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

She means Erin right? I'm pretty I see both Winters sisters on that board, but I don't think Shelley has the constitution to write in blood.

Yes. I mean, she's looking right at Erin's picture on the wall. And Erin has blood-related previous, after all.

Also I just noticed Lottie added herself to the wall. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Lottie and Shauna are still on rocky ground, but all of a sudden, we have to question exactly what is going on... with Mildred.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Sonny and Jack are going to go into the sewers and get the job done. I assume that Linton, in his current role as Lottie's trusted number two, has been pressed into action attaching pieces of string between various photographs and cryptic notes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Crowbars proliferate in the antiques game, as we have seen earlier in this tale, so no doubt Shauna has access to a raft of them. Also, her stepdad works in PLUMBING yeah, it all ties together.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Meet subterranean titan SEWERMAN GENERAL JOHNSON. I think his role is national, rather than local, it might only be Yorkshire-wide, it's hard to know really. I guess it's time for you to Bing "night soil" and get hip to the lingo.

Transmodiar posted:

I assembled "Wen-TACK," "Parents," and "The Great Unboxing" from the Internet Archive. Do you want to post them when this story wraps, or may I add it to my daily posts?
As The_Other points out they follow this case (well, technically this and Hard Yards), so if you could wait until then you're more than welcome to take over.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Fatbergs are a thing, they're happening all over the world because you insist on tipping your grease down the sink. Don't do that, smear it all over your body once cool, as it confers the gift of invisibility.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today, a hairy stalactite. Tomorrow, who knows? Truly, the sewers are the gift that keeps on giving.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Lottie's mum has been an estate agent (or, if you are "foreign", a realtor) since her earliest appearances. Upsides: you get to snoop around a lot of houses. Downside: you have to drive a car with the estate agent's logo on it. Those are the rules.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Other posted:

Yvonmukluk missed Friday's Bad Machinery Here it is:

Dangit! I even had the image queued up on imgur and everything, but I must have forgotten to :justpost:

Anyway, here's today's Bad Machinery:

quote:

Poor Jack. His feelings for Mildred have nowhere to go except into a psychic death beam. Fortunately, as we are all well aware, those don't work.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis
Arlo and Janis Classic (July 6, 1998)

People often don't realise that 'It was a dark and stormy night' was only the start of the sentence. Althought i guess in this case it's a reference to Snoopy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Hugh Mortimer suffers the ultimate indignity in today's frankly BRUTAL comic. We're about to learn a lot more about this mop-topped adult Fauntleroy.

I apologise for the graphic scenes in today's Bad Machinery.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Ah, the financial crisis, the "credit crunch". If you're 18 today, you were a mere 9 years old when the big balloon went up. That frankly freaks me the freak out because I remember it like it was yesterday.

If you're confused by the math in the commentary, that's dated back to 2017. Now you'd be 6 when the balloon went up, under that same criteria.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

WARNING: if you find black magic rituals or unfettered bond curls upsetting, avert your eyes from today's page. The provenance of the cursed pearl-handled blade is detailed here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today we take a look at evil imp husbandry and the nuances thereof. Hugh's goat guts have of course been an issue earlier in the tale.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Those coffee table type books that are 95% pictures.
Even if they're pictures of Spider-Man?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

In today's comic, Hugh is eating a big bowl of unadorned minced beef. A mince dinner. Can you imagine sitting down to a big bowl of mince? I've seen it happen. Changed my world.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Charlotte dominates any scenario where you have to lean on a table and simultaneously berate several laggards. I feel like she would excel with a series of Youtube videos on just such a subject.

quote:

SWOT analysis finally makes it to Bad Machinery, just before the the curtain falls. Ghostbusters 2 isn't a particularly good film, but for some reason I must have thought about it almost every week since I originally saw it.

Sorry for missing yesterday's strip.

The 'thus far it has been a life highlight' panel feels like prime av material. Also I'd watch Lottie's Youtube series on berating laggards, and so would you.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Sewerman General Johnson is the breakout star of Severed Alliance, Lottie knows it, Mildred knows it, we all know it, so why pretend otherwise? His sewer truck is fantastic and his attitude is both folksy and wise.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Discendo Vox posted:

Vargo, you do understand you have to make a comic starring Dr. Harvey Camel now, right?

The thing is...a proper 21st-century Mark Trail would be doing basically everything Harvey is, save the juvenile diabetes/yeti thing. Honestly, Mark making a web series would provide a diegetic reason for the random animal fact strips.

It's like Jam Esallen basically laid out a blueprint for what a competent writer would be doing with the character, but he's going 'look at how much VargoHarvey sucks, what a loser!'

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

A grand meeting at Hugo's diner today. Hallowed ground! I drew today's comic twice, and let me tell you, the first version looked nowt like this.

I'm not sure about BCN stealing Bad Machinery's thunder with their adoption of the case format.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 17, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Have you ever visited a municipal incinerator? The cheapest fun available, provided you've got something to burn. Don't burn anything you really value just to visit the incinerator, mind. It's not that good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Of course Hugo's has pictures of local celebrities like author (and former employee) Shelley Winters on its walls. There's probably a picture of Mr Gravy too.

Hugo's is a Tackleford mainstay. You can find out about it and its proprietor in the current Bobbins.Horse storyline. As well as insights into Ryan's love life long before he settled down with Amy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Today, the kidnapper is revealed. Did you guess who the blue hoodie brute was correctly? Feel free to crow if you did. AWK!

I went on a day trip down to London today, and I stopped by the Cartoon Museum (it's a thing!), which was a nice diversion. I saw a classic Fred Bassett strip, for one thing.

I didn't wind up nabbing a souvenir, but when I was at the train station before coming home, something caught my eye...

A Moomin-themed cupcake box! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Hugh returns from getting whacked with a plank, but I don't think he should be operating heavy machinery. Panel 6 is going down in my all time favourites list. Put those thumbs away, Son!