Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

John Pinette did it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Vargo posted:

The GoComics people had to be reminded that non-white people exist and they are mad.

Remind them that Max has two moms

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

I've gotta say, I'm actually liking the Styx references they keep working into this Dick Tracy story line.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

I thought that there was a minor time jump somewhere and that the mystery crew were now out of school / young adults? But I could be misremembering.

rannum posted:

I think it's a summer break but they're still in high school

Yeah I think Mildred is only 15 in this story. She turns 16 in September.

From the unmade new Scary-Go-Round comic Allison did (aka Wen-Tac, The Great Unboxing) that takes place after this Bad Machinery story.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Do you have the full story somewhere?

Sadly no, I was only able to find a few strips via various search engines after Allison took it down.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Once again, archive.org has it covered.

Bad Machinery: The Great Unboxing

https://web.archive.org/web/2018091.../?date=20180409

howe_sam posted:

that's where the Unboxing starts, but the entire Wen-Tack saga starts here. There is at least one very slight spoiler for the end of the current story in the Great Unboxing btw.

From a view pages back but I just wanted to thank Safety Dance and howe_sam for the links. I'm actually working on a personal little project with John Allison's works and having access to these strips will be very helpful (I've downloaded them for my own use). By way of thanks here's a pic from Allison's instagram promoting the forthcoming Wicked Things comic.

and here is the cover to issue two, spoilered since it involves some of the plot

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

I assembled "Wen-TACK," "Parents," and "The Great Unboxing" from the Internet Archive. Do you want to post them when this story wraps, or may I add it to my daily posts?

I'd wait until this current Bad Machinery story wraps up, as those strips have some spoilers for this story.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Yvonmukluk missed Friday's Bad Machinery Here it is:

quote:

Hugh Mortimer gets a lot of stick int his story, mainly because, as you may recall, he looks like a lad at school who caused a code brown in the school pool. Teenage vendettas have been founded on far less.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Kevin Meaney did it better

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise in The Killing Distance

Been waiting for Transmodiar to post this story so I can post this intro from the collected edition by Rick Norwood.

Rick Norwood posted:

It is proverbial that if someone with resources wants to kill a person badly enough, they will succeed. As I write these words, the president of the United States has had a potentialy bad week. First, a disturbed man with a pocket knife jumped the White House fence and made it inside before he was stopped. Then, on a trip to Atlanta, the president rode in an elevator with an armed man who had a criminal record. In the first case, someone came very close to getting within killing distance of the president, who had left the White House shortly before.In the second case, a person was within killing distance. Fortunately, neither of these men was trying to kill the president. But it is sobering to reslize just how hard a job the Secret Service has.

In The Killing Distance, retired Russian agent Ivan Btrodsky, now a millionaire (with a little help from that ever popular source of dubious motives, the C.I.A.), has decided to kill Sir Gerald Tarrant. Of course, the obvious way to thwart a killer is to kill him first, but Modesty and Willie have always tried to avoid killing if they can possible help it. They do kill, but only when the threat is immediate and no other response is possible.

Modesty and Willie respect human life. Most action heroes don't. It has always bothered me when the hero kills with only the slightest excuse. How often do we see someone who is supposed to be a good guy kill dozens of henchmen, often people who have done nothing worse than accept a job with the wrong boss? Even more problematic are the cases where the hero could kill the main villain with one well-placed bullet, but kills a large number of his flunkies instead. The situation is even worse in video games, when even the most benign hero kills hundred of more or less innocent people.

One of the many reasons I enjoy the fiction of Peter O'Donnell is that he took moral considerations seriously.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

BigDave posted:

DMV jokes are the hackiest jokes in existence, and I have never gotten them, at all. Every time I've been to the DMV, it's been fine. No more worse then the dentist or a doctor's office.

It's like making fun of airline food, or ATMs.
"What's the deal with airline food? :haw:"
"It's crackers and cookies, that's it."

"And these ATMs, I don't get them! Why do drive up ATMs have those Braille pads, are their blind people driving?! Someone explain this to me!:hawaaaafap:"
"Well, blind people can sit in the back seat and have someone drive then to the ATM."

It's like, these aren't jokes! They're banal statements!

When comedians start from a false premise

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Ah, my two of my favorite Modesty Blaise characters; the criminals who are smart enough to know not to try and kill Modesty and Willie, and the criminals who are stupid/suicidal enough to try and do so.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm going to be away on holiday starting tomorrow with only my phone, so someone is going to have to take up the torch of posting Bad Machinery in my absence. I think I'll be back before we reach the end, but if not I'm OK with that.

Here's today's Bad Machinery

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Machinery

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Huxley posted:

I thought I remembered this C+H storyline being about a bird. Am I mixing something up, or did he actually do this basic idea twice?

You're thinking of this one:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Not sure if Yvonmukluk will be back today, so here's today's Bad Machinery

also here's a variant cover for issue 1 of Wicked Things, i was just going to get the comic digitally, but I thought this cover was cute and decided to order a physical copy.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 9, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Machinery

Bell_ posted:

Who's going to be writing it? I drifted away from Giant Days after a year or so because I didn't care for Susan's characterization. Her original depiction made her an instant favorite, but in comic book form she was just consistently awful to non-lovely folks for no good reason.

Allison writes all of the Tackleford comics (Bad Machinery, Giant Days, Bobbins etc) these just have other people doing the art. I think that's because Allison also likes to work on multiple projects, when Giant Days was running he also released By Night and Steeple.

I agree with you about Susan though.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Machinery

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Machinery

Transmodiar posted:

After this Modesty Blaise adventure, I'll present something very special. But for now, The Aristo!

I think you forgot to post the last pages of The Killing Distance.

Also could I have a tag, if it's not too much trouble?

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 12, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Machinery

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Not going to lie, I'd go to this museum.

Also here is a preview of the first seven pages of Wicked Things (with dialog this time!) and an interview with John Allison about the comic. It does have this quote with I thought was kind of bittersweet:

John Allison posted:

Do you think you'll ever fully leave this universe behind, or do you have too many stories to tell within it?

Allison: All my comics take place in this universe -- even By Night and Steeple  -- they just don’t cross over, and they probably never should. With the Tackleford-based comics now over for a few years and Scary Go Round, the mothership, more than 10 years gone, it’s possible that Wicked Things will be the last “true” Bobbinsverse comic. It’s starting to feel like part of a different time. A little nostalgic visit is fun, but I’m starting to feel the lights dim on that stuff.

Also Allison anounced on his instagram that he is going to put up his Scary Go Round collections on Comixology

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

howe_sam posted:

And Wicked Things is pretty good, although i think Lottie blundered into that frame job a little too easily.

I'm chalking that up to her being a little out of her element / frazzled from the other mystery teens.

I'm wondering if Allison will introduce any supernatural / paranormal elements (like in Bad Machinery) into this comic or keep it a straight mystery. I'm hoping for the latter.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 18, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Scary Go Round: The Great Unboxing

So I went through and tried to identify all the characters in that third panel

1) Giant Bee from Scary-Go-Round The Great Tackleford Show (story 39)
2) Desmond Fishman
3) Dr. Daniel Petrescu, mad scientist (Scary-Go-Round, Romania, story 6)
4) Creature from another dimension? (Scary-Go-Round, Where the Dumb Things are, story 8)
5) Imp from various Scary-Go-Round stories
6) Gibbous Moon, American marine biologist
7) Mayor Mayor, former mayor of Tackleford
8) Robot Ambassador from Robotania
9) ?Cockroach?
10) Man-o-War from this Scary-Go-Round story
11) Tim Jones, inventor
12) Poh Drake, aka "The Child", reoccurring character that would declare that "things are going to change", mainly featured in the last Scary-Go-Round story (which is basically a proto Bad Machinery story)
13) Ernest the sailor/inventor
14) Barbara McChinnery from the Ministry of History (Destroy History)
15) Vampire
16) Santa Claus / Father Christmas, as envisioned by John Allison
17) Bob Crowley occultist
18) Erin Winters, Shelly's younger sister, journalist and former Queen of Hell
19) Esther De Groot, gothic star of Scary-Go-Round and Giant Days
20) Perkin Warbeck from the Ministry of History (Destroy History)
21) Shelby Winner, American Journalist
22) NEMULON Shape-shifting robot from Destroy History
23) One of Ryan Beckwith's pet bats (Friend Bat was the first, Comrade Bat was the second)
24) Devil Bear

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

What happened to Thel's face?

Parahexavoctal posted:

Thel's face seems particularly disturbing today, not sure why. Something about the way the fleshtone just stops with no border, maybe?

I'm guessing that this is an old strip from when Thel had a different hairstyle:

a lot of FC strips are like this, old art with some updates (adding seatbelts in car scenes for example).

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So today's Hi & Lois

reminded me of this strip from 2005

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Lockhorns has been super duper good for a long time now. They didn't even make a thing out of it, and what with long-running zombie strips being what they are, they probably didn't need to. But! They're like the nega-A&J; a good, funny comic with actual effort put into the art, only the protagonists actively hate each other*.

* I subscribe to the theory that they actually are the best of friends and constantly rip on each other as an expression of intimacy.

According to the creators, the Lockhorn couple stays together because the sex is amazing.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

I guess Leroy saw those posts on this thread about him and Loretta.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Here are some pictures from John Allison's Twitter and Instagram

The opening character spread for the 10th Bad Machinery book:

and a redrawn final panel for said book (which originally just said "The End")

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I thiiiiink Destroy History takes place in between Scary-Go-Round ending and Bad Machinery starting, but I'm sure a scholar more learned in Tackleverse lore will correct me.

Destroy History pretty much takes place right after Scary-Go-Round (seen in this strip where Shelley gets hired before she even sends out her resume). Allison did that first strip in 2009, and did the rest of the first story in 2015. It was included in the collection Giant Days: Extra Credit.

Where things get interesting is when / how Shelley left the Ministry of History. In 2012's one-shot comic Murder She Writes (which you should pick up on Comixology if you want to read a good Lottie Grote story, and why wouldn't you?), Shelley says the department she worked for was cut two weeks later and Shelley became a writer. However in Giant Days Esther and her friends visit Shelley in London where she is still working for the Ministry.

The Doylist explanation is that Allison changed his mind about Shelley's time at the Ministry. Of course, since the Ministry has access to both time travel and mind altering technology, the Watsonian explanation is that they sent Shelley back in time with her memories of the events there wiped (of course that would mean there were two Shelley Winters in existence at once, a scary prospect)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex's face in the first panel. I'd never thought I'd laugh at Rex Morgan MD

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

catlord posted:

I mentioned the... ambivalence towards civilization in Howard's Conan stories before. In Beyond the Black River, one of Howard's final Conan stories, he finally explicitly states the common theme running through the series:

In one of the Conan comic collections (I think it was the adaption by Dark Horse) they mentioned how Howard and Lovecraft would have these arguments in the letter section of Weird Tales regarding the merits of civilization vs barbarism (with Lovecraft taking the side of civilization).

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Also, Shelley's not speaking in hypotheticals. Since she did pass the Beatles's songs off as her own when she and Amy went back in time thanks to a time teapot they stole from Tim Jones.

But then Tim Jones went back in time and stopped them from stealing the time teapot in the first place!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

So The Comics Curmudgeon had a post yesterday about who that old woman was

The Comics Curmudgeon posted:

Folks, I try to keep you appraised of the deep lore of these strips, but where I fail you, my faithful commenters and your favorite guest blogger Uncle Lumpy will pick up the slack. This stern, mysterious crone who demands that Rex take a mate isn’t just any old lady; she’s Melissa Claridge, who, as Uncle Lumpy explained in a 2012 post, insisted that Rex and June couple up back in the ’70s in first iteration of this storyline in the strip, and also, uh, used to slap around her niece, I guess.

She had considerably mellowed by 2012, and had set off a wacky adventure by asking Rex and June to check in on her San Diego condo, which turned out to be full of strippers with hearts of gold. Anyway, she’s back here in her earlier guise, and if she slaps Rex into submission in order to make this love connection happen, I’m not gonna complain.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Vargo posted:

Comics Kingdom seems to be making GBS threads the bed, so I couldn't post Curtis even if I wanted to.

Got it here, but I don't blame you for not wanting to post it:

Curtis

Yvonmukluk posted:

I forgot to post Bobbins yesterday, so hooray for a double feature!

Bobbins

Got to admit, I'm really not much of a fan of Shelley Winters, or at least most of the Shelley-centric story-lines (which would include Destroy History). I don't hate the character, but I also don't find her that interesting.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Probably not news to the people in this thread, but the character here is Agatha Crumm, main character of the strip by the same name, which was created by Bill Hoest, who also created The Lockhorns.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So I watched the 1954 Prince Valiant film this weekend. Pretty good in my opinion! The movie follows the broad strokes of the early comic, with some scenes being taken from specific strips. I also felt that the 50's Technicolor aesthetic fit well with the comic. As for the acting, Robert Wagner is fine as Valiant, but I really liked Sterling Hayden as Sir Gawain, who is clearly having fun with the role.

I also picked up the first volume of the Fantagraphics collection from my local library. In it there is an interview of Hal Foster from 1969. The interviewer, Fred Schreiber, was the American representative of SOCERLID, the French comics appreciation society. Here is Foster's opinion of the Prince Valiant movie:

quote:

SCHREIBER: How did you like the movie version of Prince Valiant?

FOSTER: It was a magnificent film – the scenery, the castles, everything was beautiful. They used all my research: Sir Gawain had the right emblem on his shield, everything was right. But somehow, the story was a little bit childish.... it was Hollywood.

SCHREIBER: Did you approve of the choice of Robert Wagner for the leading role?

FOSTER: I thought Wagner was a little bit immature – his face was immature, he ran around with his mouth open. But all in all I got a kick out of it; it was quite an experience. [In certain ways] I had nothing to do with it: First they sent me the script and asked me to improve it by making suggestions, bu they must have lost my letters. Then they paid me a fabulous salary to come out there; but I knew I had no say, and that I'd just be heart-broken, because nothing I'd say or do would change the Hollywood pattern.

There is also some discussion of the reduction of fantastic elements in the strip, note that before working on Prince Valiant, Foster drew the Tarzan strip from 1931 to 1937:

quote:

SCHREIBER: To what degree did Tarzan influence Prince Valiant – or to what extent was Prince Valiant a reaction to Tarzan?

FOSTER: The only influence was, I guess, an effort to be a little more actual rather than all magical... come to think of it, no, that wasn't it, because when I started Prince Valiant I put him back in the days of King Arthur when they believed in ogres, giants, dragons, things of that sort. I thought I could bring a lot of this mystical stuff in, and it was really supposed to be a fantasy rather than actuality. As i got into it, I had to learn all about the arms, armors, harness, castles, etc. Prince Valiant got more and more authentic.

SCHREIBER: What made you get away from this fantastic element in Prince Valiant, from such mythical characters as Merlin? I still remember vividly a fantastic sequence around 1939 in which depleted Val struggling with Father Time himself. Was the change towards realism a conscious one on your part?

FOSTER: No, It just came about. Prince Valiant became more and more an actual character to me; I began to visualize him, I could almost feel him standing at my shoulder when I wrote a story that was out of line; why, he would just shake his head there!

Also here is drawing from the book which I found amusing, Val and Aleta at the 21 Club in NYC.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 11, 2020

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise in Fraser's Story

Now I'm picturing a young Sir Gerald hanging out with Joe Craven

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

God help me, I laughed at that Rex Morgan

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

But what's grog made of?

A secret mixture that contains one or more of the following: Kerosene, Propylene Glycol, Artificial Sweeteners, Sulfuric Acid, Rum, Acetone, Battery Acid, red dye#2, SCUMM, Axle grease and/or pepperoni

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I find it a bit hard to believe that these expert Soviet intelligence agents with their foolproof brainwashing and accurate profiling somehow missed that Fraser and Mary were a thing.

Looking at the earlier strips, it seems like Fraser never admitted his feelings to Mary so they were never a thing to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

On @BreakingCatNews Georgia Dunn posted some pictures from the Halloween the Boy and the Girl dressed up in these costumes.