Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

For gently caress's sake, Les! I don't think I've ever seen someone whine so much about using up a few sick days! Just take a couple of days off and shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is one reason why Zits is such a better comic strip than Dustin: the characters (and the cartoonists) have a sense of self-awareness.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah...you're a hypocrite, Ed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Since we're getting some spotlight on Les' wife by being jealous of Les being with another woman, a poster in Son of Stuck Funky linked to this old 'gem':

Apparently St. Lisa recorded a bunch of video messages for others to watch and one of them happens to be this. You know you're completely irrelevant if your husband's dead wife's final message to you is that Les will still moan her name when you two have sex.

This is incredibly gross...and degrading to Carla (is that her name?). "Oh, Les will call out my name during sex. Don't worry about it". My parents love this strip for some reason. Must be a Boomer thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

What, you don't find the idea of never being able to move on from your past relationship romantic? Do you see something wrong with being so in love with a person that you won't allow yourself to even consider marrying another person without hallucinating their ghostly visage* giving a literal thumbs up of approval? Are you one of those sickos who doesn't believe in parading your current partner through the life history of your dead spouse and constantly comparing the two, both of you knowing full well that the new could never even hope to hold a candle to the original?

*I almost forgot about that part until I started typing. Back before Carla and Les got married, right after he proposed, they hug, he looks over her shoulder and sees the ghost of Lisa giving the thumbs up. But I'm almost positive it was not healthy, young, happy Lisa. It was old, bald, sickly, sunken eyed, tired of life, Lisa. So not only does he hang on to his dead wife in a disturbing way, but his idealized form for her is dying from cancer. Holy poo poo that is hosed up.

I forgot about that too. That's really weird.

All this even after Batiuk made a big deal of Les taking a trip to place his St. Lisa shrine on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro (?) in an effort to get past her death or whatever. It's incredibly creepy and unhealthy and I don't know why Carla sticks around for this poo poo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Batiuk finally found a character that's even more insufferably smug than Les.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shut the gently caress up.

Both this and the recent "DVR is haaard" Funky are strong competitors for Dustin's top spot as most Boomer-y strip

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

The Annual Les Moore Circlejerk

Oh boy....picking quarters up off the ground. I'm sure your audience will be just riveted by this timeless love story.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

A Very Special series about coronavirus, or do these strips operate on a two week (or more) delay like political cartoons?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Welcome to part 2 of "strix is annoyed by a comic strip"

Long before I gave in and bought an account here, I used to lurk old iterations of the comics thread. At the time, I remember there was an hilarious edit of the Funky IED strip that combined it with the final episode of MASH ("Keep that chicken quiet!").

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twenty years, and absolutely zero has changed when it comes to electoral politics. This could have been written yesterday.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

sweeperbravo posted:

This is a dumb question, I'm sure.

I've seen this very, very often in media aimed at teens/preteens, where the middle school/high school hierarchy is like *officially* and explicitly set, like a caste system, and students knowingly oblige by it and are hyper aware of their place in the hierarchy and relative "rank" to other cliques.

In my experience, there were absolutely cliques, but they were mostly based on interests and socioeconomic poo poo, I don't think our popular group called themselves "the popular group." It was more like they were just the rich privileged kids whose parents let them drink alcohol. There was definitely bullying, but it wasn't based on your social rank as a label, more just if you looked funny or seemed gay or poor or fat or any other myriad things kids pick on each other for. (For those outside the group anyway; there was definitely a lot of funny looking/gay/fat rich kids). And yeah, I woudln't go sit with "the popular girls," and would have got made fun of for trying, but it was more just because we were like- so clearly different, and also not friends, than anything to do with my social caste level or something.

It all definitely mattered way more in middle school than in high school, as well.

Granted I also had a small-ish class/school (150 in my graduating class and ~600 in the school, extrapolating), so maybe that "need" for stratification wasn't there.

Does the explicit stratification ring true to any of you all or was it something outcasts self-generated as a way to rationalize our exclusion? Like i just don't remember "popular" people actually caring how popular they were. Like, Mean Girls was the only movie I remember feeling actually realistic about the way the clique system worked.

I apologize in advance if this leads toa huge loving derail

No. I think it's been exaggerated to the point of legend in a lot of media to make it seem like there are very specific, precisely-defined groups that you're either a part of or not.

I also went to a small rural high school and graduated in a class of ~126 people. There were cliques but they never felt stratified, and I was not really a part of any one specific group (I was friends with everyone).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This one is my favorite. I like to think that Mom can cook; Calvin's just a typical little kid that doesn't like anything she cooks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sooooo...nobody going to comment on this?

It's hard for me to think of a less intimidating sight than a slightly paunchy Les Moore stalking angrily to my car.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have a friend who has a funny story about this arc, so I asked her to type it out so I could share it with people.

That's like something I would have done as a kid. I read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes and it influenced my imagination. In fifth grade, inspired by the strip, I had a certain tree on my school playground that worked somewhat like Calvin's transmogrifier. I'd key in a code for whatever I wanted to be, pretend to step inside the tree, and emerge transformed.

Calvin and Hobbes is one of my favorite comic strips. It's been really interesting to reread it from the perspective of a 36 year old adult.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It "wasn't nice" for Ed to crush Dustin's spine under his 300 lb bulk either, but I don't see the mom getting upset about that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Les has been wined and dined and treated with kid gloves for a story that is the equivalent of a Hallmark channel movie. It sucks that your wife died of cancer; I know that's traumatic. But people die of cancer all the time. What's any more special about Les's Lisa's story? It's ridiculous and I just don't get why they would be so committed to this story.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Comic Strips 2020: Y'know, Bugs Bunny has a nice dick. It's okay for us both to say that.
Old School Peanuts (Nov 14, 1951)

Apparently the first football gag happened before Lucy was even born.

Oh...I thought that was a younger Lucy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nikaer Drekin posted:

No, Lucy was first introduced as a baby and then eventually aged up to match the rest of the cast - the same thing happened with Schroeder and Linus, if I remember correctly. Going by the Peanuts wiki, Lucy's first strip is a little less than four months away from this one.

E: Just finally catching up with this thread after being way behind, and wow, this Funky Winkerbean storyline is infuriating. I don't know what kind of contract Les signed, but I have a feeling he's going to be banned from set real quick if he can't stop pissing and moaning about every little thing. Why is he even letting this movie get made? He clearly isn't happy about it in the slightest!

readingatwork posted:

Nope! That's Violet. She's still around in the newer strips, albeit largely forgotten and unused except as background filler.

She looks like this in more recent media:

Thanks. I guess I'm not as up on my Peanuts lore as I thought. I always figured that Lucy and Charlie Brown were the same age.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Number of Dustin strips depicting Dustin staying up late: 0

Number of Dustin strips depicting Dustin sleeping in front of the TV as his primary way to have fun: 8392598375298

seriously he has narcolepsy or something and I'm concerned for him

Could be; I had never thought of that. I've always theorized that Dustin's clinically depressed because his family is so unsupportive.

I'm preaching to the choir, but Dustin's family is holding him back; not a "useless" degree and laziness.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kennel posted:

It's very easy to read it like that, but in the end Dustin is just a fictional character written by an unsympathetic rear end in a top hat, who accidentally created relatable tragic character.

Dustin is actually pretty insightful when it comes to the dynamics between Millennials/Zoomers and Boomers, which I think is the funniest thing about it. Kelly and/or Parker tell on themselves so much.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Boy, I sure love how Michael didn't even get a say as he gets shipped off and it's just Lynn justifying her abusive behavior to everyone around her.

gently caress you, Lynn!

Seriously. She's not even trying to hide the fact that it's not about Mike "building character" or learning responsibility; just mom meddling in his life to get him away from his girlfriend for the summer. It's creepy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"My gram loved colors"

:lol:

Speaking of "in the hands of a better artist". This could be a nice story about an older lady becoming a surrogate grandmother to a traumatized teen. Instead, we're treated to MST3K-level dialogue like that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Mary Worth is better if you assume every character is an alien infiltrator from a different species who thinks they're the only alien in a human suit and is desperately trying to convince the other hu-mans they are also a normal hu-man.

No doubt Mary's cookies are an attempt to exchange long protein strings.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Making Of A Cancerwife

"Y-you mean this film will be about someone other than my personal pain?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Cancerwife: The Movie

You're a waiter in a seconds-long walk on part. Why the gently caress would you need motivation for that?

This whole thing is dumb as hell and Les keeps getting his way on everything. It's infuriating.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth continues a week of deciphering old memories, and suddenly I realize this is the cancer story we actually need. :smith:

Les Moore: Production Liability

Putting these so close really highlights the contrast between a good storyteller who knows how to organically add pathos and a total loving moron.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Totally unrealistic.

These days, a conman like Belluso would be made the White House chief of COVID19 response or something.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This and lead paint probably explain a lot about Ed, and his generation in general.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Kids acting like kids. Am I right?"

- A middle school (?) teacher

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"I feel free here and want to make it my home".

This poor, misguided schmuck.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

7. They're flying a traitor flag in the classroom instead of the American flag.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe figure out what psychological reasons are causing your daughter to suck her thumb at such a later age instead of hooking her up to some torture device to ensure she doesn't do it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

stepping on some toes here but I need to hear other people yell gently caress you at Tom besides just myself in my head.

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1320337541963354113

gently caress sake. This is Chris-Chan levels of dumb.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Having a blast with your alley drug parties!

I was confused when this arc first started, thinking that June from Rex Morgan had somehow ended up in Mary Worth.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Disembodied feeding hands and the kid having a stroke in the second panel. Just great art today in RMMD.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nishi koichi posted:

it’s small, but i really like tillman’s teacher in this strip. you didn’t really see this kind of character in cartoons and comics very much, you’ve either got the nauseating “sunshine-and-rainbows” in rose is rose, or the teacher who hates life, like miss wormwood in c + h.

between tinkersons, miss bliss in cul de sac, and the teachers in jaimes’ nancy and wallace the brave i feel like the portrayal of the profession and treatment of their students in these strips is more realistic than ever. and that’s a very good thing

I really like the strips where Tillman's teacher spins things to make them more interesting. It's a contrast to Funky, where a lot of the students (or at least Les and the science teacher guy) seem to have contempt for their students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is probably the first time in his life that Ed's ever heard the words "We'd love your input".