Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 26, 1941)

I'm not so sure he recovered the "Singing Sword..."

Powered Descent posted:

At least while they're rowing they sometimes get to look at the pretty jewels and such on the Singing Sword, which Val never took back from the Captain.

Guess we'll be crossing paths with that captain in the not-too-distant future

Green Intern posted:

It really bothers me that their garbage can is just apparently out in the middle of a field.
It's right next to the shed he'll be hiding in when a moose comes a-sniffin' around this winter.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 02, 1941)

I have a feeling this may be a hook that leads somewhere!

Saved! Saved by a watery tart!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

RoboRodent posted:

Anthropomorphic clam.

I had an invertebrate class this past spring and the prof made a point of telling us that clams and other bivalves are laterally flattened, which means basically every cartoon clam is Wrong. The shells are a left and right side, not a top and bottom.

It might be true, but I cannot lose this fact from my head. It's just there, waiting for cartoon anthropomorphised clams and oysters.

Before he lost his mind, Johnny Hart was pretty funny. As a kid in the early 70s both B.C. and the Wizard of Id were a hoot.

My mother could not get enough of the running (heh) gag about clams. Clumsy Carp was forever trying to figure out how clams moved.

Of course, it was B.C. that learned the truth...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StrixNebulosa posted:

I deeply profoundly love that article, Everett True is so good

He is the hero we need today. Desperately.

My main concern is that he may lack the strength, fortitude and endurance that will be required to deal with the holocaust of idiocy that is today’s society/internet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (September 9-13, 1996)

Alright, two things here that tick me off. Pardon the rant.

First, we've already clarified how predator-prey relationships are generally frowned upon in this universe at this point in time; much like interracial relationships in the US until the fifties and sixties (and later in some areas), and like gay/lesbian couples until recently.

So Rudy is basically going around with hate speech on his backpack. That's great! /s

Also, because of their relationships, Bruno and Corrie are basically a pair of queer kids who don't know who to turn to for help; and Kell, supposedly the "cool and nice" person, goes, "I'll help you find support, IF you do something for me first." Which is also great and not bad at all! /s

Okay, I'm done. I apologise for the angerdust I left around.

As a parent when this strip actually ran:

Chalk the the LGBTQ tone-deafness up to the times.

Through that lens, I see the angsty teenager being super-edgy to annoy his folks.

With respect to the card, her instructions were to kill whomever was running the site. Probably literally. She was able to avoid that and still do her job. And help the kids.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 15, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A rare quasi-political Lio:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In the botttom-left-most panel: Are they crying? Or is that supposed to be crocodile tears triggered by excessive yawning?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haifisch posted:

2017 Spiderman

Also I accidentally pressed 'latest' instead of 'next' while getting Locher Tracy, and goddammit I'm going to rope myself into posting modern tracy again aren't I. It appears to feature vampires, another Orphan Annie crossover, and also Brenda Starr??

Cindy Lou Who?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (January 18, 1947)

“Oh, Davie, your ‘V-P Day’ is getting CLOSER AND CLOSER! … I just sent another shiny new dime marching to battle polio."

:gbsmith:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm standing by my amnesia theory

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As long as this strip is running: could be polio.

Probably was the neighborhood Chester the Molester.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:magemage:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

Brenda Starr never fails to make my head hurt.

“Haha! Silly Brenda, bitten by a bizarre Foreigner Caricature? How ridiculous! Bananas!”

When they're drawn like this - with this level of detail, and differing from the regular cast - I think the artist is taking someone from life, the way Dick Tracy has a Claudette Colbert caricature in the one story arc.

Wondering who it is. It's WWII, and films set in Cuba / South America starring Carmen Miranda were A Thing at the time.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Medenmath posted:

It does seem possible!

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 05, 1941)

I like that Belsatan's solution here was to make a pact with unknowable powers rather than just go after her or send a servant.

Getting strong gimp energy from that splash panel

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hostile V posted:

:colbert: There's no footage because there's no such thing as Central Jersey. North or South. Pick a side.

Oh, but there is!

North Jersey says there's a Central Jersey

South Jersey says there's a Central Jersey

They're each describing a different part of Jersey.

:colbert:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

maltesh posted:

Got curious. Google says that there are 784 calories in a pound of rabbit meat. Depending on whether that's a 4 or a 9 in the calorie count, the edible Kevin weighs around 31-38 pounds, maybe another 15% for the skeleton.

Isn't his spouse a wolf? He is...somewhat larger than her

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

IDGI, where's the crying statue of liberty and Whiskey Sours?

Next panel, showing the parents later that day

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (April 17, 1937, click for big)

“No, no darling, not him. Look there in the cage.”

oof.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Manuel Calavera posted:

But what's grog made of?

Hopes and dreams. Occasionally flavored with the corpses of heroes

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

It takes literally five minutes of my day to post Classic Kevin and Kell, sometimes ten if I want to add a bit of commentary, so it costs me nothing to keep going. As long as there's an audience (and I'm still in this thread) it'll get posted.

Well, I have always found it endearing, pretzel logic or no.

Perhaps I'm just easily amused.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You ever try to reheat coffee or soup in a toaster oven?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatface posted:

Then is the "crossed her legs" line as blunt as I first read it? Seems like strong stuff for the era.

Not as blunt as the doggerel in the last panel.

Yes, a lady applies cold cream to remove her make-up when she is going to sleep...but not when she is going to bed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hey: your body has several sphincters. No shaming!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Um.

I get the line is a decent setup...but don't.

Hypoxia-driven major organ failure is most definitely a thing with sleep apnea. Without one, my O2 has dropped to the low 50% range during a sleep study.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cowslips Warren posted:

As someone who never did the bar scene, what exactly happens if someone does that to you? Do places even charge to the room anymore?

And holy poo poo Prince Val.

I assumed that they were sex workers.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul, Caspar is mistaken for someone wearing a zoot suit, which were made illegal during the war, purportedly due to their excessive use of fabric.

I'm pretty sure this is the first "someone gets very angry at Caspar based on a contrived misunderstanding" strip I've posted, but it won't be the last.

Isn't that a lovely "Buy War Bonds" poster on the wall behind the sailor?

They were beating the poo poo of of wearers:

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/06/01/75-years-ago-zoot-suit-riots-marked-a-dark-period-in-southern-california-history/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Edge of Geuhh

Old Lumpy there isn't any easier to look at blown up and flopped. I really wonder what "reference material" Jam used for that face and why...

First thing that came to my :corsair: mind:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Wow.

That was Edward R. Murrow's sign-off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Evil Mastermind posted:

God I'd forgotten that their boss was making them live at her loving mansion.

Wait, does that mean they spent their wedding night in their boss's house? What in the actual gently caress?

Yeah; that, too

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

fondue posted:

B Kliban

Kliban sums up our election

And now, Sheer Poetry

Not sure I could have handled ten minutes in his brain.

Other days: felt like he was in my head

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shot & a chaser

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

One suggestion in the Gocomics comments is that it's her natural hide and she just shaves her legs, arms, cleavage, face, and back. That would explain why you can see her navel even through the fur.

This makes the most sense of anything in that strip.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doomykins posted:

The artwork on the expressions here is so masterful. The flattery working, Gawain's acting, Gawain's sincere pride, Val's disbelief and irritation it actually worked. :allears:

Gawain's delicate holding of the reins while Val shades. drat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatface posted:

It looks like she's baked a loaf tin full of white pudding.

I think our artist thinks that banana bread is yellow.

Maybe we should chip in to send him a loaf. My sister bakes a mean banana-nut bread.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EBB posted:

this is amazing, every panel is a treat

They really are. And so crammed with details! Not only are both spavined, sway-backed nags, the white one has a lame hind leg

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some Guy TT posted:

Curse you and your ninja edit LingcodKilla. I'm so used to that region being called the Rust Belt it never occurred to me that anyone would call it something else.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I'm thinking of just not bothering to translate exclamations since the lettering's more of a pain and they're almost always fairly intuitive in context. Also I like the original font more than the one I use. Anyone have any opinions on that?

I'm curious about what was yelled in panel 3 of the first set. Is it just <yells> or does he actually say something?

And yes, I had no trouble translating, "HRAAAAAAAAAAAAP!" in the meeting. :)

Also: have only heard of the "mideast" used to refer to the "middle east." That one cartoon appears to be Sauda Arabia/UAE. based on the tower-like structures - but who knows.

If you want to send your salesman to a far-away place where there are a lot of rabbits, send him to Australia. He could have had a lot of fun with that, too.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 17, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

(Can anyone direct me to the correct font for this?)

(In case of Capt America: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Tyree)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 21, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ghostlight posted:

why, this is the opposite of what i expected :monocle:

I figured it would be a picture of an outhouse with cobwebs on the door and a l'il balloon over it, hollering for more Sears catalogs

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ukonvasara posted:

If you idiots all keep carrying your laptops around by the front corners you're going to warp the cases!

Bet you couldn't get away with saying "a barrel full of bung-holes" in the paper today.

Are you kidding? It's never been more relevant...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

O god. I forgot about the unfunny travesty that was Miss Peach.

With respect to Mr. Milquetost's theatrical proclivities, a little digging turned up - not a play, but a silent film: Gesetzeder Liebe , released in 1927, that covered quite a wide range of sexual issues and orientations. Which must have been an interesting challenge without sound. Would love to know if it had its own sheet score.

https://www.filmaffinity.com/uk/film410186.html

It ran under titles such as, "The Laws Of Love" in the US...and, in Austria, "Sexualkatastrophe" and starred a number of popular actors, including forums favorite, Conrad Veidt.