Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

RoboRodent posted:

True.

I hope it's a lion with a horn.

Voting: narwhal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

This installment of The Timid Soul (March 25, 1935) is spoilered for racial caricature.

I'll admit, I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be. 'Japanese people love cameras' ?

I think the concern is that the tourist will rope him into taking a group shot - after which, they will have to exchange addresses, so Mr. Milquetoast can send them the prints. Next thing you know, there's a pen-pal thing going on...

Gnoman posted:

In 1935, relations between the United States and the Empire Of Japan were deteriorating rapidly due to Japan's invasion of China - a US ally - in 1931. I suspect that there was a "watch out for Japanese people with cameras, they might be spies" thing going on a the time, and that somehow got to this result.

Initially thought it was this, but the tourist doesn't have the camera, our hero does.

The 'Japanese "tourist" with a camera' spy thing wasn't really public until after Pearl Harbor, and may not have been understood until after the final report on the attack. I first read about it in At Dawn We Slept when I was a kid. Japanese were swept up in hysteria after Dec. 7th, not sure there were any specific behaviours that tagged them; just racism & xenophobia.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum posted:

I love the fact that she refers to him as a "cave man" and there he is with his perfectly styled hair, suit, tie and pocket square. :roflolmao:

What is foot powder?

There was a time when Plimsolls (sneakers) were used exclusively for sports. They were essentially Chuck Taylors.

Everywhere else, at all times, you wore leather shoes. What we now typically wear for formal (social and professional) events. While custom-made footwear was available, it was at the higher cost end, so most folks wore factory-made. These rarely fit well and took a long time to break in, during which time the wearer got blisters, corns and hammertoes. They also did. not. breathe, so by the end of a long workday, your feet were a wet, sweaty mess of sore spots and high odor. Foot powder was a necessary relief and also helped knock down athlete's foot, which was endemic.

When I started my career in 1984, the required wear was a suit & tie and leather dress shoes. I had two pairs that were re-soled by a cobbler several times over their life. I didn't stop wearing that rig until 1996 (I destroyed one suit inspecting a damaged modular house section that fell into the hold of a former Soviet oil-burning ammo carrier. Thing was coated in burnt fuel oil). In '96 I transitioned to full-time fieldwork & was permitted to wear khakis and (black) athletic shoes (try walking a roof in leather dress shoes! Once!) and a polo shirt, but still had to dress up for office meetings.

If you didn't wear them for a couple weeks, the leather uppers would shrink a little, which is why they sold wooden shoe trees (spreaders) to put inside your idle pairs. You'd crank it open & tight to maintain the size.

New shoes would beat the poo poo out of your feet for about six months. My dad, who had a really hard time buying shoes (size 16) had feet that looked like a war zone. Actually had bone spurs from years of tight shoes.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 9, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Poil posted:

Was 300 bucks a reasonable price for a decent car way back in the primitive boomer age?

More like $600 for something that could move under its own power without becoming a rolling pyre and that also possibly had a chance of passing state inspection.

Although in 1987 I did score a '74 Mustang II for $60 at an auction and got two years out of it.

Between 1977 and 1989 I owned about a dozen cars; the most I ever paid for any of them was $700.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 13, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

Combining the trends of "real people comics" and ads that look like comics, I present:

Jack Benny in JELL-O AGAIN (or: Vagabonding in a Trailer) (April 11, 1937).

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Benny, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Livingstone)

Which aspect of the story do you find most disturbing?

Actually, for the times, this one does a fair job of navigating the yikes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sending this to my neighbor, a contractor :)

I worked property claims in Philadelphia for seventeen years. In South Philadelphia, "chimbly" is still a common term used today, even by folks under age 50. This is the first time I've seen it in print.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bruceski posted:

How fitting that at the same time we're discussing a rhino turning into a unicorn.
It's gonna be a narwhal, gaddammit

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Family-Style" restaurants are a big 'Amish' draw in Lancaster, PA.

About the best meal that you can get on any given day in Savannah, GA is at Mrs. Wilkes' on Jones. You will sit with a table of strangers. You will stuff your face from the (at least) sixteen dishes on the table. You will no longer be strangers.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drat, dude.

Well, poo poo. https://www.rabbithash.com/

Wow. Is there anyone out there who hasn't been inspired by Prince Valiant?
(and the live homage rules)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ikanreed posted:

Am I reading this wrong or is the joke "He's got a beard now"?

Either that, or orientation was assumed to be verified.

I was 26 when I met my wife; she was 32. Her parents assumed she was gay because she moved out of the house when she was 18, and in with her best friend, for nearly a decade. They reacted similarly when they met me.

(content)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p8lL-Ag064

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, the idea of "published in newspapers" gets a bit murky with European comics anyway because the publishing traditions are so different, a lot of stuff (including Corto, as I'm sure you know) comes from dedicated comics magazines. A few threads ago I toyed around with the idea of posting Tintin, which definitely was in newspapers, but that got shot down then, and quite understandably so; probably not least because the Hergé Foundation would crawl up our rear end so fast it'd make your heads spin.

Personally I'm all in favour of treating comics magazines like Pif Gadget, Pilote or Spirou as the equivalent of newspaper comics for the purpose of this thread. But I definitely also just want to read more of them! What are you thinking of posting?

Chiming in to say that I was tempted to post from the Charles Addams anthologies I've had forever...but they were never, as far as I know, posted in any newspaper & are usually single panels.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

These are from an anthology of Charles Addams’ work published in 1950 – Monster Rally. I’m trying to find the others that my Mom had acquired through the ‘50s and ‘60s. As a child of the mid-1960’s, my mother had no problem with handing these to her kids. She loved Addams’ work, and finds him hilarious (if a little dark) to this day.

My mother bought completely into the rumour (which Addams never squelched; in fact, he reveled in it) that he would get nuttier and nuttier until he’d be committed for a spell, after which his work would revert to somewhat tamer precincts.

I credit these anthologies with shaping my warped and dry sense of humour. There are only two in color: the frontispiece and the backpiece.

Off we go.

Frontispiece:

The theme starts early that kids are, at heart, little shits.

On the other hand, they have their reasons.

Not really sure what the gag is supposed to be. "Progressive" schools were, I believe, something like the Montessori system.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally - 1950

Posting without [timg] this time. State your preference (or mod request...).

I am striving to post these in the order in which they appear in the collection.

Puggsley is adorable.

(In case you're wondering: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040491/)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (December 31, 1973)

I am old enough to remember the heralded coming of Khohoutek, I think it was 1974.
She ghosted the world. An enormous disappointment.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 7-9, 1935)

Some hard but tender truth there, particularly this year.

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "War Against Nature" Duck (May 25, 1913)

Interesting that tent worms have always been a pest. My neighbor & I saved one of his linden trees from them; took six cans of carburetor cleaner.

and now...

Monster Rally - 1950

A rare multi-panel. One of my childhood favorites!

I have been out of school a very long time, but when I was a kid, report cards did, in fact, have a narrative on (my) attitude & behaviour

I think we have a pretty good bead on Addams’ opinion of the progressive school movement.

Bringing your kill home across the fender went out with…fenders

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 29, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally – 1950

Spoliered for unfortunate caricature…the theme, however, is that medical learning seems to be the same everywhere.

I'm fooling around with settings in Photoshop (old: PS 7). I swear that here was a moire setting to mitigate the Velux print lines but I'll be damned if I can find it. I scanned the last of this volume in color today, even though they're grayscale. If you folks are good with the scan, I'll leave them be.

There's a way to go yet in this volume. I did locate "Homebodies," and have started scanning that as well.

Unless I can find the others at my Mom's house, all I have left is a weird Mother Goose compendium and the newer anthology that it sounds like everyone's already seen. There's about 90 in each edition, so we have a ways to go yet.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 29, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally – 1950

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

They are going to a costume party presumably. Possibly with a medieval or renaissance theme. He’s dressed as a silly jester. She’s a peasant with a head on a spike. That is the joke.

Look closely at the head on the pike. That his wife is holding.

On the dog training one: the husband is dressing up in his wife's clothes, and training the dog to attack those clothes...

Restaurant: I really don't want to know what Uncle Fester is ordering, nor how he wants it be prepared. Neither does the waiter, but he has no choice.

Yes: it's a cattle brand. And she's in a hurry to use it, too.

Monster Rally – 1950

A classic:

The wit in Addams' work ranges from the nearly-mundane to :stare: :psyduck:. One can certainly see how the rumours of creeping insanity got around.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

quote is not edit, you fool.

Welp, I have no choice:

Monster Rally - 1950 - New Year's Eve Bonus:

Welp, now we know where the car keys wound up.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 1, 2021