Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Savidudeosoo posted:

God Kelly is so bad at his loving job. If you put it on the 3rd it would have been a decent "Dustin is Lazy" joke, but you waited for two weekends to to come and go so now it's just a lovely boomer comic.

Also like, you know his dad would throw a FIT if he had to work even a single Saturday.

Or New Years' Day, which was a Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

goatface posted:

The crime-man likes wearing a robot mask to do crimes.
The moon lady is playing the robot lady from Metropolis in a play.
The man wants to gently caress the fake-robot space alien because she represents his lustful feelings towards film robot.
He has brought her a meal of some illegally acquired moon-mollusc to try and woo her.

The man has picked his gimmick and now he really wants to gently caress the space alien dressed as a robot because of how CP3O made him feel when he was 12.

Am I correct in remembering that the Moon Lady is not actually a Moon Lady, but an initially-brainwashed and surgically altered impostor who decided to keep her surgical alterations after everything was resolved?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

EBB posted:

Safe Havens has gotten too stupid. This mars circulatory system thing is beyond dumb. Like brain damage dumb. Like the guy's editor should take him out back and shoot him dumb.

Why did Mars supposedly kill the Venusian colonists, anyway?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Is this a making GBS threads thing? Is it another fetish for this comic?

If it's an unguided thrown rock, there are basically three things that can happen.

If you're ridiculously unlucky (or if it was deliberately aimed, and your spacecraft doesn't get out of the way), it could hit your spacecraft on the way up.

If it was launched at less than Martian escape velocity, it comes back down to Mars after less than one orbit and smacks back into the planet. If you're insanely unlucky and your crew is incompetent, it could hit your spacecraft on the way back down.

If it was launched at greater than Martian escape velocity, and it misses on the way up, you essentially don't have to worry about it again.

If your spacecraft can avoid it in either case, you don't need to leave Martian Orbit (and waste fuel on a suboptimal departure window) to do so.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

amigolupus posted:

This is so loving dumb!

The part where the rock missed the meteor heading to Earth happened weeks ago. Considering how Mars threw it with such force that it was able to break orbit and catch up to the meteor, there's no way it should still be in the space between Mars and Earth.

It's remotely possible that if the comet was in just the right position when the rock missed, it took a tight retrograde sungrazing hyperbolic trajectory and got hurled back at Mars.

But given that every astronomer humanity has was watching the rock and plotting its course, somebody should have mentioned the possibility long before now.

Judgment: Crew insanely unlucky and incompetent.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Bogor 1975

Do any other humans ever appear in Bogor, or is it just him in the wilderness cutting down trees and talking to himself? Is anyone taking these trees he's chopping down?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1938)

Question: Is the supernatural ever real in Prince Valiant, or is it always classic Scooby Doo shenanigans?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Lodin posted:

I refuse to believe that there's ever been a piece of media that introduced God drat Merlin and there's no magic present. The exceptions being A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Camelot 3000 of course.

The only one that comes to mind for me is Transformers: The Last Knight, but that probably disqualifies itself by the Clarke clause.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 23-24, 1987)

I never managed to make Halloween candy last through April. I doubt I ever made it last through November.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Also, people do this with rice cookers.

I tried that once with my rice cooker. Perhaps the directions I followed were as deceptive as YouTube channel lifehack videos, because I would probably need payment to try it twice.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Weembles posted:

Did it burn or did it just end up a giant dense leaden pile of inedible solidified batter?

As I recall, I had to run the cycle more than once to get it to cook through, it never really browned, and it was extremely unappetizing to try to eat. Beyond that, my memory of it is pretty hazy, it was several years ago.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

Luann Wiki posted:

[Stuart] once saved both Luann and Tiffany from drowning in the pool, after Tiffany, in a panic, almost got Luann and herself drowned by trying to push Luann down to keep herself afloat.

Luann Wiki posted:

[Miguel Vargas] once saved Tiffany's life by performing CPR after she almost drowned in the pool.

Tiffany sure seems to almost drown in the pool a lot.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

amigolupus posted:

The rock that the merdodos launched was aimed directly at DNA Wizard's ship, not Earth. There also wasn't a strip of the them saying they wanted to kill the humans, so it looks like the idiot crew jumped to conclusions and got the Earth merfolk to reveal themselves for no good reason.

Have the Martian merdodos been depicted saying anything to anyone? If I'm not mistaken, everybody appears to be interpreting their actions without any on-panel dialog.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Green Intern posted:

Stealing IP from their friends, smdh.

Their flagship title is explicitly about time travel, isn't it? I guess you can pull that off without multiple timelines.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean now returns to "The Immaculate Suffering of Les Moore, The Only Widower Who Matters"

Does he know the Comics Code seal's off books for a decade, and any authority it had died nearly two decades ago?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Arlo and Janis continues to hit that perfect note of topical COVID stuff without being annoying about it. It's just so drat good!

Doesn't their son run a bed-and-breakfast, though?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

And then a blonde bearded man with a leg made entirely of ice stepped out of the shadows, and growled, "You're not going ANYWHERE. Seize them, my Yetis!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Huh. Face masks in the Pizza shop. I wonder if that was an editorial request?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mikl posted:

Honest question: why? Why would Doom want to mess with Spider-Man to such an extent?

For the vast majority of the Spider-Man newspaper strip's run, the world operates as if Spider-Man is the only active superhero, so Doom's emnity is primarily pointed as the Webslinger and not some obscure blue-jumpsuited scientist and his family.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Who is the leftmost superheroine supposed to be?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

off-brand batwoman? I guess?

Yeah, I guess. Now that I take a closer look, seems like there's some Black Canary in there too? And a bit of Huntress? Did he not have time to pastiche the other heroines sufficiently? Or was he more worried about complaints from the Bat-Branch of DC?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

2006 would have been X-Men: The Last Stand. Not the franchise's finest hour.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Isn't Brenda Starr still on the hook for promising tens of thousands of dollars of her own mid-20th century salary to get dozens of random people to enter the cave at $1-2k apiece?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ukonvasara posted:

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of which, Mr. Boop's therapist is totally Katie from It Hurts!! right?

Oh man, she totally is.

I'd been generally assuming she was Daria, but I didn't see a name on my readthrough.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

This is the equivalent of those people that cut breathing holes in their masks.

I'm almost certain the strip has shown snake doctors. Surely she could use whatever they use, or at a bare minimum, effectively cut eyeholes in a sock-like mask.

Edit: Yep, a Dr. Caduceus is apparently the GP for half the cast. It doesn't appear that he's ever been depicted wearing a mask, though.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 27, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I will say it's kind of clever that Rae the Doe has anthropomorphic bats and moths and opossums as opposed to bears and cats and dogs, i.e. the marginalized and underrepresented cute animals.

Kevin and Kell has had bats and Moths as major and recurring characters, though I think it's been quite some time since any of the moths, or any of the other insect people appeared appeared.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

The answer should be, "We don't want to die cold and alone in space."

If they'd had the fuel to arbitrarily decide on new solar system destinations, they probably wouldn't have had to sit in Mars orbit for weeks waiting for a Hohmann transfer window when they had to launch early.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

sweeperbravo posted:

The question should be how can you use only four straight cuts to ignite a fist fight based on the cake

You're the one cutting the cake, so you can bring a knife to this fist fight.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'd kind of like to see a variation on that where the individual steals the song, pretends to write it, registers it, but keeps it on the down-low until the real song comes out, waits for it to be a hit, and then sues the band for copyright infringement.

But the band company has money, lawyers, and private investigators,and manage to prove in court that that the individual is a time traveler from the future who stole the songs, win the case, and are awarded the time machine.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

PetraCore posted:

And Ann had already written a note to Tom on the back of the sonogram, thus going along with it instead of admitting it was Les.

So basically this entire thing hinged on her having multiple plans to manipulate him, but being too dumb to maintain plausible deniability. Like, say, keeping the sonogram around but not writing on it until she 'had' to use it.

And she had a slam dunk if she'd instantly abandoned the plan once Tiffany brought down the picture, revealed she wasn't pregnant, and turned the whole thing on Tiffany for going through her stuff while she was away. Perhaps Ann could claim she saw it on a youtube clip, and wanted to see what it might look like if she had the opportunity.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I don't know what I was expecting with Holbrook, but I definitely wasn't expecting that bad of a Dick Tracy depiction.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Why did you leave him out there? Is it because you didn't bring along any tiny mascot uniforms for him to wear?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I'd never seen Say Anything, being only familiar with the scene by reference. so I decided to hit up the wiki article to find out what is happening in the referenced boombox scene.

Hoo boy, Kevin. This was a terrible idea.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

A dead dog fake-out is a cheap excuse for a cliffhanger, Messick.

Also, are you curious about where the bomb might have come from? Well, I've read a couple months ahead collecting strips to post, and I can assure you right now, it will not be explained.

Did Brenda ever have to pay out the thousands of dollars she promised to all those people she was sending into that mystery gas cave a couple months back?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

The spacecraft's sections are rotating for spin gravity, right? Then the foce they should be feeling would be outward from the center of the ship, and the hole the cables are going to shouldn't be in the ceiling, it should be in the floor.

I'd complain about the cables being soft enough for mice to gnaw through, but Kevin and Kell has already shown us that mice can eat steel.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Did I miss Alec rescinding the "Shoot me if I ever divorce my wife" standing order with the Divorce Lawyer?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Hagar is looking at a family tree that tells him when he is going to die.

Edit. Ah, the names are wrong. Retracted, but that was my first impression.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 23, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

computer angel posted:

Imagine being this disappointed all your friends and loved ones planned a huge surprise party for your birthday.

I'd kind of side with Lynn on this one about surprise parties, especially if she really, truly does not want one, and John knows her well enough to know she means it.

Dawn of the Birthday is probably a bit late to extract a promise, unless she's been saying "I don't want a party" for some time, doesn't believe John's assurances that there won't be one, and thinks that the promise will make him call it off at this point when her other statements haven't.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

The Fastrack ship has a rotating ring in the space ship that simulates gravity, however. That should stave off the effects of living in zero gravity.

In fact, almost every piece of furniture aboard the ship is designed solely for Earth gravity; those normal beds they're using would become dangerous hazards if the ring needed to stop rotating for any reason, such as damage, docking, maintenance, or repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time any of the Martian Mermaid characters gets a speech or thought bubble, possibly mitigated by the kid being half-mer-martian.

Does the Female mer-martian even have a name?