Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Medullah posted:

I accidentally rolled over this, only watched the first episode but yeah this is totally it, and I'm guessing the wife is in on it

Lynn Collins is too big a name to be just the random widow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Plot Against America is very very good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

precision posted:

You are now on a list.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is so good yeah. That and the Saul finale on the same night is gonna be great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Turturro and Ryder are the best they've ever been. Production values are amazing too

I have a feeling the finale of BCS is gonna make my blood pressure skyrocket :ohdear:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I finished For All Mankind last night and hot drat did that show ever pick up in the second half. If anyone gave up on it because they thought the first few episodes were too slow, I encourage them to go back and finish the season.

Anything else good to watch on Apple TV before my sub expires? I already watched For All Mankind, Morning Show, Dickinson, and Mythic Quest. The only other show I’m even remotely interest in is Servant - any good?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I finished watching I Am Not Okay With This and I enjoyed it. I think the writing really grows in confidence after the first couple episodes where everything feels kind of rushed. A rare example where having a longer runtime would have helped, at least in the beginning. The soundtrack and leads, especially Wyett Olaf as Stanley, were all great. The final minutes of the first season where the tone abruptly shifts from teenage melodrama to a Sam Raimi film were amazing -- my wife and I were laughing the entire time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know the first season didn't start off on the best foot, but the second season premiere of In The Dark was actually really good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you know I bet if I turned this telethon-looking thing right after Gaga finished Smile I probably wouldn't miss much

although on the other hand, what the gently caress else am I doing

edit: never mind Stevie Wonder's dope

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the Nick Knacks for My Three Sons and the reveal that Fred MacMurray filmed all his scenes (for the entire season) in a row so he could gently caress off on vacation the rest of the year was pretty funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good job McCartney at shooting in portrait mode. Nobody else in 6 hours on the stream hosed that up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good job McCartney at shooting in portrait mode. Nobody else in 6 hours on the stream hosed that up.

can you explain to me why he sang Lady Madonna? the man literally wrote Let It Be, why not break that out?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

so, the biggest heroes of the coronavirus are, in order:

Health Care Workers
Brands
Teachers
Celebrities Thanking Health Care Workers, Brands, and Teachers
Children
*probably like 3 million other things*
Retail Workers

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thankfully someone had presence of mind to put pictures of ARE TROOPS DOCTORS flanking him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC Murderverse posted:

can you explain to me why he sang Lady Madonna? the man literally wrote Let It Be, why not break that out?

I’m gonna go with spite.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m gonna go with spite.

I hope it's some sort of sly insult to Boris Johnson, obviously Macca can't tell him directly to gently caress off live on our airwaves, but maybe it's a subtle thing

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

The only other show I’m even remotely interest in is Servant - any good?

Answering my own question here, but I just powered through the first episode and my conclusion is: no, no it’s not. Then I went on Wikipedia and read the synopsis for the season. I feel good about my decision to skip it.

Was the second season of Counterpart good? Did it have a satisfying conclusion, or did it end on a cliffhanger? I liked the first season, and watching it now probably gives it an added sense of strangeness.

It’s either that or finally start The Expanse. I watched the first episode of The Expanse like a year ago but I don’t remember it at all, so I should probably watch it again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Counterpart was great. Also yeah watch the expanse.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I finished watching I Am Not Okay With This and I enjoyed it. I think the writing really grows in confidence after the first couple episodes where everything feels kind of rushed. A rare example where having a longer runtime would have helped, at least in the beginning. The soundtrack and leads, especially Wyett Olaf as Stanley, were all great. The final minutes of the first season where the tone abruptly shifts from teenage melodrama to a Sam Raimi film were amazing -- my wife and I were laughing the entire time.

I don't know if I love or hate it that that scene is spoilered on the poster and all of the marketing. It was funny as gently caress when it happened and I had just about forgotten that it was going to happen. I know a lot of people were (ending) hyped by the last minute or so, but I was kind of annoyed by it. I don't want her to find a mentor, I want to watch her figure out what the gently caress she's going to do now after that ending. We've seen the former a thousand times and it's really not an interesting story anymore.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 19, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Been missing baseball. Just finished the pilot episode of Brockmire. Seems like it might have some potential!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

DC Murderverse posted:

Health Care Workers
Brands
Teachers
Children
Retail Workers

No love for food service?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you thought the first episode of Brockmire was fun you will absolutely love the rest of the series. It's got a surprising amount of heart for how crude (though very sharp and well written imo) the comedy gets at times.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Loved the last episode of Devs. Packed with eye candy ear candy and food for thought. For instance foreshadowing the fate of the 2 main characters by depicting them as negative space

...so I guess I better stay out of that thread.

DC Murderverse posted:

Health Care Workers
Brands
Teachers
Children
Retail Workers

Gwyneth Paltrow (est net worth $100 million) has heroically donated one 20-year old dress she wore once and didn't like, to be auctioned off to raise money. That personal sacrifice has gotta place her near the top of your list.

https://canoe.com/entertainment/cel...ght-coronavirus

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 19, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Gwyneth Paltrow (est net worth $100 million) has heroically donated one 20-year old dress she wore once and didn't like, to be auctioned off to raise money. That personal sacrifice has gotta place her near the top of your list.

https://canoe.com/entertainment/cel...ght-coronavirus

Honestly, if Gwyneth Paltrow promised to shut up during this, I would place her at the top.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

kittenmittons posted:

No love for food service?

they eventually started saying things about food delivery and food service people (jimmy Kimmel gave some delivery guy who was bringing food to his house a pizza, some pie and a ziplock baggie filled which cash, which I guess is something) but that first hour or so was almost exclusively about healthcare workers (who are great, obviously) and brands (who are terrible, obviously)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

...so I guess I better stay out of that thread.

The thread isn't too bad. There was one guy complaining about "the diversity" whatever the gently caress that even means as a criticism of a tv show, but he rightfully got shouted down. For the most part it's philosophical discussions about how the free will vs determinism debate was represented by the show and the appropriateness or lack thereof of the religious connotations that were brought into it.

Get in there and post in good faith, the thread will only improve the more people that do.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cactus posted:

The thread isn't too bad. There was one guy complaining about "the diversity" whatever the gently caress that even means as a criticism of a tv show, but he rightfully got shouted down. For the most part it's philosophical discussions about how the free will vs determinism debate was represented by the show and the appropriateness or lack thereof of the religious connotations that were brought into it.

Get in there and post in good faith, the thread will only improve the more people that do.

Eh, found it a little weird. People really are into defending the show and will attack you for bringing up criticisms.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Gonna hard disagree here and say the brisk pace is one of my favourite things about the show. It would have been so easy to drag out plot developments in favor of character fluff and they just didn't. They knew what they wanted to accomplish with every episode and essentially didn't waste a beat.

Actually I'm gonna take it one step further. It's the best paced show since Spartacus.

Soundtrack is 10/10. I especially love how they fade tracks in and out so much to great emotional effect. It really sticks out on a re-watch in a good way.

EDIT: Okay there's one thing, in the final episode drop-out girl just vanishing felt kinda off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Eh, found it a little weird. People really are into defending the show and will attack you for bringing up criticisms.

Hardly surprising if your posts in there are like this:

Shageletic posted:

it was just a poo poo show, dunno why people like it other than to jerk off about sImUlATionS

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Hardly surprising if your posts in there are like this:

Thats just some premiere shitposting in the chat thread. In the show thread I went in deep about the vacousness of the motivations of the characters and how listless it all seems to be, the motivations of the characters lacking, etc, before I got bored of the while thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just pay five bucks for the no-shitpost upgrade

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Thats just some premiere shitposting in the chat thread. In the show thread I went in deep about the vacousness of the motivations of the characters and how listless it all seems to be, the motivations of the characters lacking, etc, before I got bored of the while thing

I've watched you have this conversation several times.

No I'm not telling you how it ends *sniffs farts*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I've watched you have this conversation several times.

No I'm not telling you how it ends *sniffs farts*

this post is ideology

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress anything else any of you care about, season 1 of The Midnight Gospel is out!!!!!!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Counterpart was great. Also yeah watch the expanse.

Is the Expanse ever fun? Or is it just like noir-y dramatic seriousness the whole time?

I’m finishing off Counterpart, I just finished Devs, and finished For All Mankind before that. Those were all good shows, but I wouldn’t exactly call any of them fun.

I’ve been cleansing the palate with random TNG episodes when I want something fun and not so serious to watch, but I’m coming to the end of my list of good TNG episodes.

What’s a good fun show to pick up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Expanse rules and Amos is a delight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m pretty excited with how the BCS season finale has set the table for the final season.

Having the destruction of Kim & Jimmy’s relationship result from him realizing he’s corrupting her makes Saul a really tragic character. It’ll also be cool to see Rhea Seehorn play the character with more of an antihero bend next season. I’m also really glad Lalo will still be around to menace the cast but uh holy poo poo Nacho is super hosed. There’s basically no way he survives the show now.

I love this show so much, every single castmember has been killing it :allears:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

precision posted:

The final episode just aired. Grim. I appreciated the overall feeling of confusion in the episode, where no one really seemed to know what was going on in the country. Of course the whole show is "Oops! No Subtext!" but it was very compelling.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The final episode just aired. Grim. I appreciated the overall feeling of confusion in the episode, where no one really seemed to know what was going on in the country. Of course the whole show is "Oops! No Subtext!" but it was very compelling.

One thing I was hoping the show would've kept from the novel was Lindbergh's cuddling up to the Nazis and all of his abhorrent racism amounted to dick-all for the country because the Japanese still attack Pearl Harbor and drag the United States into the war after all. It really sold the grim pointlessness of expecting fascist promises to amount to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Syfy has been marathoning BSG since last night, Pegasus pt2 is on now and the Adama maneuver is around 1ph PST tomorrow. I've never really gotten through a full rewatch of the series but it's kind of nice catching up at a few points throughout the day.