Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Open Source Idiom posted:

Start with season three.

And skip season 2, are you insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess the OP wants to skip Rip entirely?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rip's in season 3!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For christ's sake don't skip seasons

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a "Recommend me some poo poo to watch" thread? I'm down in the dumps, and want to watch something funny, and I guess I grew up because DBZ Abridged ain't doing poo poo for me. I just want something like that I guess, funny with action scenes, anime is ok.

If you have Netflix I like James Acaster's stand-up show. Funny, high energy, and wholesome.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a "Recommend me some poo poo to watch" thread? I'm down in the dumps, and want to watch something funny, and I guess I grew up because DBZ Abridged ain't doing poo poo for me. I just want something like that I guess, funny with action scenes, anime is ok.

Watch Psych. If you've already watched Psych, then watch it again :colbert: I don't care that it's not action :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is where I plug Nathan For You (Hulu) and Joe Pera Talks to You (HBO Max).

ed: I didn’t see the action stipulation, but you should watch those anyway. Also Archer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Burn Notice is good action in a vaguely Pyschish sense. It gets a little long in the tooth though.

Actually Leverage is probably a better case of "Psych but action too." Its even quasi linked.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 29, 2020

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
How deep into the MCU or Marvel canon are you? Agents of SHIELD is fun and has lots of action, and very well done at that. Plus it does have some charm and humor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Peep Show is hilarious and very weirdly comforting if you're in a bad place, just watching a couple fuckups be fuckups together and be supportive of each other in their own bizarre sabotaging/self-sabotaging self-aborbed way.

What We Do in the Shadows is a goddamn blast and you'll fall in love with the characters and need to spend more time with them and it's easily the most I've laughed at a show in years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Burn Notice is good action in a vaguely Pyschish sense. It gets a little long in the tooth though.

Actually Leverage is probably a better case of "Psych but action too."

Burn Notice is good but it’s absolutely a show where the main plot takes over and wears out its welcome. When you feel like hitting the eject button, just bail. I stopped watching in S4 and felt like I should have given up sooner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Burn Notice is good but it’s absolutely a show where the main plot takes over and wears out its welcome. When you feel like hitting the eject button, just bail. I stopped watching in S4 and felt like I should have given up sooner.

Yeah, I never actually finished it. I keep meaning to go back and watch through but I don't really feel unfinished. They dragged out the meta plot past the point of it feeling like it meant anything.

But it was fun until it wasn't. And then it was easy to let go. I think there's value in that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

STAC Goat posted:

Actually Leverage is probably a better case of "Psych but action too."

I think of all shows in relation to Psych. Like right now I'm watching Lawyer Wife Psych (The Good Wife).

Not everything works very well in this system. Like, Family Feud (Family Game Show Psych With Bigger Gus)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheAardvark posted:

I think of all shows in relation to Psych. Like right now I'm watching Lawyer Wife Psych (The Good Wife).

Not everything works very well in this system. Like, Family Feud (Family Game Show Psych With Bigger Gus)

Its understandable. There was TV before Psych and TV after Psych. Family Feud is BP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1321955644736303104

This is without a doubt the most hosed up thing I've ever seen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks nothing like David Schwimmer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

:stonk: what the actual gently caress

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Lmao, that's the creepiest thing.

Also I decided to watch Psych.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Reminds me of that marvel movie where Tony Stark made holograms out of his dead parents and thought it was a good idea to show it to an audience.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Boba Pearl posted:

Echoing previous Psych (Prime) and Leverage (Vudu, i think?) suggestions. I'll always have a softspot for Chuck (Prime. And it ends after Paris. I don't care if it says there are more episodes). I'm assuming you've already done Archer (hulu) because everyone should have, but if you haven't...

Justified has aged particularly poorly when viewed under the lens of copaganda, but is still one I quite enjoy. I routinely bounce off S2 of Prison Break (hulu) when I try it, but S1 is a good blend of action, suspense, and humor. NCIS is a crimesolving procedural that features frequent gunplay and a heavier-than-expected dose of boomer humor. Warning that it has the politics and sensibilities to match. Upside is that you can jump into the middle of almost any episode of almost any season and be caught up on the plot of the episode and plot of the show within about 5 minutes. Which makes it good background noise for moping or napping.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Peep Show is hilarious and very weirdly comforting if you're in a bad place, just watching a couple fuckups be fuckups together and be supportive of each other in their own bizarre sabotaging/self-sabotaging self-aborbed way.

What We Do in the Shadows is a goddamn blast and you'll fall in love with the characters and need to spend more time with them and it's easily the most I've laughed at a show in years.

Mitchell and Web are serious contenders for greatest comedy duo ever. Peep Show is brilliant in a timeless way and most of their comedy sketches are absolute bangers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DO YOU DO POISON?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyUeCyXl1Q

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is the bit in that hologram vid about a “big peefee”

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

zoux posted:

The combination of seeing this, clips from that Sarah cooper Netflix special, and my own looming assignment due dates have me actually ready to die and disappear forever.

indescribable dread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there needs to be a word for this... feeling I'm getting for all life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i for one welcome our hatsune miku overlords

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

there needs to be a word for this... feeling I'm getting for all life.

Weltschmerz

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh! Show Rec Time????? :derp:

Sci-fi? The Expanse
Historical Drama? The Last Kingdom
Horror? Kingdom (South Korea)
Comedy? Archer
Action? The Boys
Anime? Attack on Titan

Want to feel sad???? Chernobyl!!!! :kheldragar:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sci-fi? The Expanse
Comedy? Archer
Action? The Boys
Anime? Attack on Titan

yep, pretty solid

I'd replace Attack on Titan with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sci-fi? The Expanse
Comedy? Archer
Action? The Boys
Anime? Attack on Titan

Need something mindless to stream while working or browsing? Grimm is 6 seasons of some good, some terrible cheesy NBC fantasy drama.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
short episode darkish-comedy drama: Mr. Inbetween

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What if I want something to help me lean into my depression and ugly cry like with The Leftovers but I’ve already seen Chernobyl?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Josh Lyman posted:

What if I want something to help me lean into my depression and ugly cry like with The Leftovers but I’ve already seen Chernobyl?

look in the mirror

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Google Butt posted:

look in the mirror
Already happened this week. After a few years of periodic white head hairs, I got my first white facial hair. :cry:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Josh Lyman posted:

Already happened this week. After a few years of periodic white head hairs, I got my first white facial hair. :cry:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Lean into it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rewatch The Wire season 4 when i want to feel like that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Josh Lyman posted:

Good news, everyone! Craig Mazin is making a Last of Us TV show! I'm sure it will make me feel very happy! :smithicide:

Until then, though, I did Attack on Titan after my cat died because it is nihilist and takes a horrible view of humanity, but it is also very pleasant to look at, artistically, especially the nature scenes. Everyone dying and it being super bleak fit my mood, perfectly!

I also feel ashamed I didn't mention The Terror, which perfectly straddles grimly realistic historical drama and campy monster horror genres. That's pretty bleak, but I'm not sure if it's Leftovers-bleak. Actually, the ending is bleak as gently caress so maybe? It's worth it just to watch Jared Harris and Tobias Menzies chew screen time together, tbh.

Oh! Something that perfectly fits the zeitgeist right now is Avenue 5. Highly recommend if you need to process everything going on in America but reality is too much. It is all much more palatable in a spaceship with Hugh Laurie.

Mu Zeta posted:

I rewatch The Wire season 4 when i want to feel like that.

Oh yeah...that's some :five: bleak-poo poo right there.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

"Unbelievable" on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

At the beginning of this year my beard was mostly dark brown with the occasional blonde or red hair. Now, four months past my 30th birthday, it's almost 1/3 white and the remaining brown is fading fast.

By the end of the year I'm going to be bald with a full white beard. :negative: