Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Reddit’s format isn’t conducive to discussion though and it’s also got a pretty horrendous track record when it comes to protecting abusers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Reddit’s format isn’t conducive to discussion though and it’s also got a pretty horrendous track record when it comes to protecting abusers.

Yeah it sucks but you can find good discussions if you look for it. Reddit as a whole sucks but the little subreddits can be good with relaxed and cool mods that aren't weird. HOnestly can't think of a better alternative. Twitter is a clusterfuck. I've tried other forums and they suck. This is the only good forum with a good community.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Reddit is terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

We do have a TVIV discord! Currently 90% of the messages are myself, esp, and whowhatwhere tho

Just quoting this for the new page

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it sucks but you can find good discussions if you look for it. Reddit as a whole sucks but the little subreddits can be good with relaxed and cool mods that aren't weird. HOnestly can't think of a better alternative. Twitter is a clusterfuck. I've tried other forums and they suck. This is the only good forum with a good community.

There is no better alternative.

I'm following threads that have been actively posted in for years, for things probably older then 90% of the reddit userbase like Baldur's Gate or Babylon 5 where people are regularly having engaged discussions about the subject. Some currently active threads go back to the early 2010s. Reddit threads live and die in the space of a day with thousands of comments mostly white noise posting or "lol take my updoots good sir"

When this forum dies there is no replacement, everything else out there is a gross version of what this forum tries to be run by alt-right adjacent white dudes or just a mess of a user-base and algorithm based modding ignored by the site admins too focused on chasing ad dollars.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

pentyne posted:

There is no better alternative.

I'm following threads that have been actively posted in for years, for things probably older then 90% of the reddit userbase like Baldur's Gate or Babylon 5 where people are regularly having engaged discussions about the subject. Some currently active threads go back to the early 2010s. Reddit threads live and die in the space of a day with thousands of comments mostly white noise posting or "lol take my updoots good sir"

When this forum dies there is no replacement, everything else out there is a gross version of what this forum tries to be run by alt-right adjacent white dudes or just a mess of a user-base and algorithm based modding ignored by the site admins too focused on chasing ad dollars.

Yeah. Gonna suck when this place burns down.

If I don't get the chance to say it again.... thank you for all the good TV, TVIV

I'll miss you and the sardine thread the most.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's been a big part of my life. Got into a ton of music because of nmp3 back in the day, learned to cook because of Goons with Spoons, learned to invest in retirement accounts thanks to the long term finance thread, learned to build my first desktop PC because of SH/SC. And the countless shows I never would have watched without this place. Friday Night Lights baby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bit Torrent Barnyard.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This chat thread is one of my favorite places on SA even though I barely post in it. :love:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Goons have literally made my life better by educating me about countless subjects, hobbies, media, etc that I never would have given a poo poo about 11 years ago.

So uh, you know, thanks. Just in case Lowtax blows the site up tomorrow.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
In the spirit of the 12 Monkeys thread, please, TVIV

Don't You, Forget About Me Because I Had the Time of My Life

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goons have literally made my life better by educating me about countless subjects, hobbies, media, etc that I never would have given a poo poo about 11 years ago.

So uh, you know, thanks. Just in case Lowtax blows the site up tomorrow.

Pretty much every insanely enjoyable show I've seen in the last 10 years has been from hearing about it on this forum and checking it out.

There's a lot of trash out there and I could always count on the fact if over the course of a few months I keep seeing the same show mentioned, or even just casually mentioned for years like Hannibal then its usually something special.

Z nation, 12 Monkeys, Hannibal, Patriot, halt and catch fire etc. All shows I wouldn't know about without some place like this to pick up on the tv chat and try for myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

isaboo posted:

In the spirit of the 12 Monkeys thread, please, TVIV

Don't You, Forget About Me Because I Had the Time of My Life

<3

I love you guys

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

<3

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
what's the TVIV discord?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Escobarbarian posted:

We do have a TVIV discord! Currently 90% of the messages are myself, esp, and whowhatwhere tho

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

isaboo posted:

what's the TVIV discord?

someone already posted in sa sagas that the first links to a cspam discord that went up were almost immediately re-posted on kiwifarms, so it's going to be a rough few months as everything shakes out.

although early peeks at that discord show people discussing and comparing Legend of Galactic Heroes to GoT and that is extremely my jam so yeah that's at least one place on the list to keep.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 24, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

We also have my kpop quarantina zone, so beware

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Haven't been posting a lot in this thread since it's been hard to get myself to watch TV recently, but just wanted to echo it's always been one of my faves even if I don't post a lot :unsmith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just joined the discord as a just in case measure. I hate chat rooms but this community rules.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I only really post in the few threads for shows I both watch and am up to date on, but this is the only place I do that, and I love it for that.

Reading live watch reactions to game of thrones S2/3 got me through my undergrad made a lot of my assignments late.

Fingers crossed the discord will give me the Riverdale chat thread fix I need, if it comes to that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gonna miss you guys, it's been real.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
SA liveposting threads are how I spent most of my early 20s and I don't regret any of it. I love you all, even the ones I don't like much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For those who do join the Discord, it's kind of a hot mess rn since it's mostly just been three of us active in there, but I'll organize the channels over the next couple days if there's as big enough influx of posters migrating into there to chat.

But in the meantime, please do not lose (any more) hope in SA! This isn't the end just yet. I'm certainly not going anywhere unless this dead gay comedy forum actually ends up six feet under.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

esperterra posted:

What I'd like to know is if the character's backstory was even in place when they cast Krakowski. Was it something they planned from the beginning and could have cast accordingly for, or was it thrown into the mix in the writers room after the fact. Still an opportunity taken away from a POC actor, but less intentional if so.

They're not going to cast one of the main roles in a show on the basis of an ethnicity that amounts to an ocassional punchline. Krakowski would have just been given a different silly background.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 24, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As a long time forum user (I'm old enough to go back to the old BBS system before forums) Reddit format makes me feel super old, like I am the 'old man yells at cloud'.

Edit: I also visit ResetEra. It has a lot of traffic, but they stick everything in one forum which is bad. Plus the TV discussion over here is a 100x better than over there. Also their mods are just bad. I say this as a bleeding heart liberal, their mods come across as the worst kind of liberals. I almost want to use the fascist word to describe them.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 24, 2020

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why is everyone talking about SA dying?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

oh my sweet summer child

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Thanks for Veronica Mars and Banshee TV IV, two of my favourite shows I was first introduced to here. Also for all the other live threads I read over the years.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oasx posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRC is still better than Discord, fight me.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If this forum should die, I’d just like us all to come together to remember one last thing: The Wire is overrated.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kilus aof posted:

Thanks for Veronica Mars and Banshee TV IV, two of my favourite shows I was first introduced to here. Also for all the other live threads I read over the years.

Under the Dome had a great livethread. R.I.P. Soap Fight Club.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Slamhound posted:

If this forum should die, I’d just like us all to come together to remember one last thing: The Wire is overrated.

We should come together to say Treme is criminally underrated, but never going to happen since no one watched it.

Also Omar is coming for ya.

Edit: I think my first TVIV thread might have been the one for Six Feet Under.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MiddleOne posted:

Under the Dome had a great livethread. R.I.P. Soap Fight Club.

Live threads were great, one of the only reasons I stuck with Sons of Anarchy as long as I did is because of the thread.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The thread for the last season of Dexter was really something special.

Hate-watching unifies people like nothing else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've still never seen a show jump as hard off a cliff as Dexter. GoT got close but it wasn't nearly as long a descent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

The thread for the last season of Dexter was really something special.

Hate-watching unifies people like nothing else.

:hmmyes:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I've still never seen a show jump as hard off a cliff as Dexter. GoT got close but it wasn't nearly as long a descent.
Dexter was so bad that it was literally impossible to even spoil. I told at least two people “he becomes a lumberjack” and they laughed at the funny joke I was telling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Can't believe the foruns are gonna die before Aristo finishes his toxxed The Newsroom watchthrough :colbert: