Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Silly Garrison, Mr. Glitch was the bad guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Xander77 posted:

Do I want to know?

Glad to know I wasn't the only one pissed that "Snake vs. Monkey" was dropped from the HD version of MGS3, covering up the Very Important Fact that Metal Gear and Ape Escape are part of the same universe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sandpuppy posted:

Also, none of them tried to escape, as they were using the camp and it's incompetent commander to direct sabotage efforts and assist resistance groups.

He could be referring to the movie "Stalag 17" - the scene and barracks there looks a bit like one of the exterior shots from that movie.

Either way, by not including the "-19" part, the reference makes no sense. I'm takin' bets, did he run out of space or just forget to put it in?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trogdos! posted:

Stiglich posted:

This country has made tremendous progress in race relations, yet the mainstream media continues to advance the narrative that America is irredeemably racist.

He and anyone else (particularly the Remaining McCoy) pushing the "young Black men are inherently criminal and will seize upon any opportunity to steal poo poo flat screen TVs in partucular" are such loving scum. God, that openly Nazi-styled "lowest form of life" thing gets my blood loving boiling more than anything else in the thread lately. And that's saying something.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Sausages posted:

Following the logic of imported culture filling the void caused by a lack of local heroes after a time of crisis, America needs more anime statues

Since we know at this point that the Titans are an advance force from the mainland sent to wipe out the local population so that a hegemonic empire can acquire the natural resources there, and are themselves brainwashed into accepting an early death for the benefit of the political and economic elite, that seems perfect for the U.S.

I only know the show, though, maybe the manga does it differently.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

rodbeard posted:

It blew my mind when I found out that Kenny Rogers sang Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) and Glen Campbell was one of the guitarists on the studio recording.

Daniels did session work for Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen in the late 60s and early 70s, wonder how he felt about that later on.

This also means he's on some of my all-time favorite records. :sigh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s probably splitting hairs, but I feel there’s something different about westward expansion and how we hosed over the natives.

Basically it's a matter of doing European-style "they're still other countries, but they belong to us now and we get to be in charge" versus embiggening the terrain considered part of the nation proper.

So Teddy added another flavor to our Imperialism smoothie.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Thoughtless posted:

I'm actually disappointed to see Ramirez falling in line. Just about all his cartoons have been "trump is awful" but even with rising anti-trump sentiment in his own party, he opts to just go "but yeah vote for trump" in the end? Sheesh.

For the "Old School Business Wing" Republican cartoonists (Ramirez, Payne, Bok), Trump's only real crime has been hurting the Republican BrandTM, since they've spent decades promoting the GOP as the "sensible ones." They will never, ever support anything coming from a Democrat, unless it's hurting another (preferably minority) Democrat. This is how they get paid, after all!

As for how they'll try to sell the Rational Republican image as it becomes increasingly obvious that Trumpists and Q-Loonies are the future of the party, stay tuned! I assume at least one will retire in the next couple years.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

rydiafan posted:

God drat it took way too long to figure out that the bottom word was "chaos". I missed the top of the S behind his hand, so I thought it was Chad or Chaou or something.

[Quietly deletes "Virgin Spider" and "Exam Chad" post]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I... did not expect that so many people would be familiar with that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The theme song to "Worst Year Ever" is catchy as gently caress, but it's not exact car smashin' music. :confused:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's not supposed to be a song reference, it's something way dumber: the woman in the car is 2020, as in the actual personification of the year that exists because of reasons. A bunch of corporations are keeping her medicated and imprisoned because of gently caress it, I don't know. There may or may not be an explanation for this, but I didn't read back far enough to find out what it is.

I hate it when the real thing is dumber than my dumb joke.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hogan's Heroes went off the air forty-nine years ago. Ramirez's 90s movie references seem pretty timely, in comparison.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, the ears were due to an offhand comment Obama made about his own ears and the total lack of creativity among cartoonists.

Now as for the giant purple lips they insisted on giving him...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Intentional ugliness realized through effort is always better than ugliness from lazy, sloppy work. Which makes people who try to sell their laziness as "style" particularly irritating.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
So, is all the plot that people reference in Sinfest from back when it still had text in complete sentences, continued to the present through pure momentum, or are there current strips where any of this stuff, y'know... happens? Because I keep going from the explanations back to the strips, and back to the explanations, and being :confused: trying to connect the two.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Let's just put in what my brain wanted to see when I squinted at that poo poo.

After The War fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 17, 2020

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'll take Jazz Cherokee because he rules, but I'm not ok with the jewish banker goblin peeking out from behind the money. Also the jitterbug stereotypes inside the birdcage.

Where do you stand on the World's Most Beautiful Leg?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

endlessmonotony posted:

The year when Ace Ventura was acceptable to publish as a mainstream thing and got a sequel?

loving pass. The 90's were garbage. Ace Ventura really showcases how far we've come in 25 years.

While we are left with the legacy of the brilliant and doomed artists of the day, consider those things far harder to archive: the bizarre soda experiments of the day. Surge was the most famous, but it was also the era of insane poo poo like Orbitz. 1995 was the year I started high school, and, for that first year, there was a Fruitopia machine by the entrance to the cafeteria. I would always get some strawberry-kiwi concoction that tasted like metallic, vaguely fruit-flavored industrial runoff. God, how I miss it.

All these flavors are lost, like tears in the rain. Time to diet Crystal Pepsi.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Katt posted:

Remember Watergate? Watergate almost seems naive in retrospect. No one even died. No one was even assaulted

You might want to, ah... read up a bit about that last part:

Wikipedia posted:

The following Thursday, on June 22, Mitchell made a late-night phone call to Helen Thomas of the United Press, reportedly Mitchell's favorite reporter. Mitchell informed Thomas of her intention to leave her husband until he resigned from the CRP. The phone call, however, abruptly ended. When Thomas called back, the hotel operator told her that Mitchell was "indisposed" and would not be able to talk. Thomas then called John, who seemed unconcerned and said, "[Martha] gets a little upset about politics, but she loves me and I love her and that’s what counts." In her subsequent report of the incident, Thomas said that it was apparent someone had taken the phone from Mitchell's hand and the woman could be heard saying "You just get away." Thomas's account was widely covered in the news, and many media outlets made efforts to find Mitchell for an interview. A few days later, Marcia Kramer, a veteran crime reporter of the New York Daily News, tracked Mitchell to the Westchester Country Club in Rye, New York. Kramer found "a beaten woman" who had "incredible" black and blue marks on her arms. In what turned out to be the first of many interviews, Mitchell related how in the week following the Watergate burglary, she had been held captive in that California hotel and that it was King that had pulled the phone cord from the wall. After several attempts to escape from the balcony, she was physically accosted by five men, which had left her needing stitches. Herb Kalmbach, Nixon's personal lawyer, was summoned to the hotel and he decided to call for a doctor to inject her with a tranquilizer. The incident left her fearing for her life.

EDIT - Fun fact, "King" is Steve King, our current ambassador to the Czech Republic. Because these fuckers never really go away.

After The War fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 30, 2020

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Political Cartoons 2021: No Idiot Kings, No Masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Alhazred posted:

I can just imagine the chili pepper feeling so loving smug after evolving capsaicin to avoid being eaten by mammals, only to realize that that made it more desirable to humans.

Although we're also the only animal that will go and plant more of them, so who's really in charge here?! :tinfoil: