Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Not surprised that the command focused more on stats. Also liked the part about how we tend to assign the shittiest ncos to sharp duties.

Kind of didn't understand the conclusion. They talk about separating SHARP from the COC which is good, but still have soldier SHARP reps in the units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

What surprised me while I was in was that the drugs people were pissing hot for were things other than marijuana, which is obviously legal and easily available here in WA.

Pot stays in the system a long time and soldiers know this.

Of course, if you’re doing coke once every other week, it’s not going to take terribly long for a random test to get you.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

What surprised me while I was in was that the drugs people were pissing hot for were things other than marijuana, which is obviously legal and easily available here in WA.

Most of the dudes I've chaptered in CO were for coke. Few THC, but mostly coke.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang posted:

My guard unit was in Kanas so while weed was available it seemed like it was clustered in places like college towns and with people who wouldn't usually hang out with mil folk, even those in the guard nature.

Meth on the other hand, lol that poo poo was everywhere.

The first wild encounter of a suspected meth head in my platoon was the skinny PFC who decided it would be a great idea to load up his entire camelbak with orange juice before our 15k ruck to the bivouac.

Dude was jittery as gently caress and said he was carb loading because he wanted to get into MMA fighting and just came off of a cutting cycle.

He was like 5 ft 6 and 130 lbs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ASAPI posted:

I really like how the report was not shy about naming and shaming individual units. Some of the quotes from soldiers were impressive, I'm not used to seeing quotes like that in the public record.

Last time we had this large of an investigation was Tailhook, right?

I don't know if Fat Leonard was really a cultural deep dive so much, although the criminal investigation was pretty far reaching.

I wanna say the Aberdeen scandal? I mean, it took the SMA down when it turned out he was a scumbag too. And it pretty much rewrote TRADOC.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Ashmole posted:

Not surprised that the command focused more on stats. Also liked the part about how we tend to assign the shittiest ncos to sharp duties.

Kind of didn't understand the conclusion. They talk about separating SHARP from the COC which is good, but still have soldier SHARP reps in the units?

They recommended having civilian SHARP reps in units, requiring those civilians to have mobility agreements so that they would deploy with the units, and the post lead SHARP person being a Senior Executive Service person (So general officer equivalent) who would essentially outrank the garrison commander so the garrison commander could NOT manage the SHARP office. The post lead SHARP person would report directly to a BG or higher at HQDA, and that BG would work directly for the Vice Chief of Staff of the Army.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm trying to think how many years ago I came to the conclusion that SHARP wouldn't work unless it was outside of the command structure. A decade or more is my best guess.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

I don't know if Fat Leonard was really a cultural deep dive so much, although the criminal investigation was pretty far reaching.

I wanna say the Aberdeen scandal? I mean, it took the SMA down when it turned out he was a scumbag too. And it pretty much rewrote TRADOC.

I know nothing of this scandal of which you speak, got the cliff notes for the curious out there?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I know nothing of this scandal of which you speak, got the cliff notes for the curious out there?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/library/aberdeen/caution.htm

Drill Sergeants at Aberdeen (and other places) were coercing female trainees for sex. There were also drill sergeants having sex with female trainees that wasn't necessarily coerced, but definitely against regulations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pikehead posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/library/aberdeen/caution.htm

Drill Sergeants at Aberdeen (and other places) were coercing female trainees for sex. There were also drill sergeants having sex with female trainees that wasn't necessarily coerced, but definitely against regulations.

Next you're gonna tell me that recruiters gently caress recruits!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

They always gently caress you, one way or another.

:smith:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, just high school students

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Basically, this entire scandal is the reason that from then on, no drill sergeant would ever speak to a recruit alone without a battle buddy present. Bunch of NCOs went to prison, one Captain even got hemmed up for rape. The post CG harrumphed for a bit then they found out he was loving around on his wife with a contractor.

The SMA was part of the investigation until it came out that he had been harassing/assaulting female subordinates, and he got court-martialed. (As an aside, the CO in my last unit was prior enlisted under him, and told me he was an unimaginable piece of poo poo even as a regular CSM.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_McKinney

To make the shitshow even worse, Kweisi Mfume, longtime leader of the Congressional Black Caucus who had just recently resigned to take the head position at the NAACP, came to McKinney's defense and tried to publicly raise charges that the court-martials were racially motivated.

And then, in 2004, he had to step down due to multiple charges of sexual harassment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Essentially, it was an amazing Russian nesting doll of "and then it got worse". Even six years later when I was going through the TRADOC cycle, leaders were blaming the women at Aberdeen for all the bullshit they had to deal with when training privates.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Also I guess as a triple post that's unrelated to the actual meat of the scandal or even the Army, as of 2020 Mfume is once again a Congressman for the state of Maryland. He never paid back the NAACP the six figures they had to shell out in settlements for his wandering dick.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Only took the Army 8 months to develop an official issue face mask.

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/12/17/the-armys-official-face-mask-to-be-issued-to-new-soldiers-in-2021/

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

quote:

The CCFC, from inception to issuance, is slated to take less than one year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXrOoODYPNE

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have they released the regs on where/how to get my rank and name sewed on? This is very important.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

SOLDIERS ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE NECK GAITER AND OTHER CLOTH ITEMS, SUCH AS BANDANAS AND SCARVES, AS FACE MASKS. TO PROTECT THE FACIAL AREA, THE CLOTH ITEM MUST COVER THE MOUTH AND NOSE AND EXTEND TO THE CHIN OR BELOW AS WELL AS TO THE SIDES OF THE FACE. THE ITEM MUST ALSO BE SECURED OR FASTENED TO THE FACE IN A MANNER THAT ALLOWS THE SOLDIER TO BREATHE WHILE ALSO PREVENTING DISEASE EXPOSURE OR CONTAMINATION.

SOLDIERS WILL NOT WEAR MASKS THAT HAVE PRINTED WORDING, PROFANITY, RACIST, DEMEANING OR DEROGATORY LOGOS, SCRIPT OR IMAGERY. SOLDIERS MUST NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT UP CLOTHING MATERIALS SUCH AS ARMY COMBAT UNIFORMS TO USE FOR FACE MASKS AS THESE MAY HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH CHEMICALS. IF AVAILABLE, CLOTH COLORS SHOULD BE SUBDUED AND CONFORM TO THE UNIFORM. LEADERS SHOULD APPROACH THIS AS A FORCE PROTECTION ISSUE; THEY ARE ASKED TO USE THEIR BEST JUDGMENT REGARDING THE CLOTH COLOR AND DESIGN OF FACE MASKS AND MUST ALSO CHECK FOR THE SERVICEABILITY OF FACE-SHIELDING MATERIALS. SOLDIERS SHOULD REPLACE ITEMS THAT BECOME SOILED, DAMAGED, OR DIFFICULT TO BREATHE THROUGH.

I have heard of Active Duty Soldiers being threatened with Article 15s for letting their masks slip off their noses. Meanwhile the full time National Guardsmen around here don't wear any at the armory.

At Drill it's company by company. We had 8 guys from 1 company wearing masks, while 40 guys from another company did not.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Army has ensured that I became a supporter of etsy this year.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I fully expect that those masks to be treated in a flame retardant chemical that gives you cancer from inhalation fifteen years down the line. Also waiting for them to change the guidance that those will be the only masks you can wear.

And then, of course, for them to have taken so long to develop that the pandemic is over by the time they issue them.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I've had mine since late September (under the name FACE COVER, TYPE II instead of Combat Cloth Face Covering or whatever). It's actually not a bad mask; it's pretty comfortable to wear, and you get a good seal around the face.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"Not service connected."

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

PeterCat posted:

I have heard of Active Duty Soldiers being threatened with Article 15s for letting their masks slip off their noses. Meanwhile the full time National Guardsmen around here don't wear any at the armory.

At Drill it's company by company. We had 8 guys from 1 company wearing masks, while 40 guys from another company did not.

I wore an n95 at every drill/training this year because people refused to comply and would be unmasked as much as possible. They thought us going to do IWQ and having "barracks at half capacity" (aka every bunk has 1 person instead of 2) was an effective mitigation, even as we had every sink and shower being used in the morning at once.

There was an outbreak in a company there from that and I feel nothing but lucky about not getting it. Can't wear an n95 and sleep, I tried.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rifles posted:

Can't wear an n95 and sleep, I tried.

Apparently there are N95 filter conversion kits for popular brands of CPAP machines if you have to sleep around people.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Any idea what he said?

https://www.stripes.com/news/army/fort-hood-s-top-enlisted-soldier-suspended-investigation-pending-1.655834

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Anybody read the Ft Hood report? loving wild.

The first 30 pages or so are methodology, before it gets into the good (read: extremely bad) poo poo.

The most readable and pathetic part is the chapter on CID at Hood.

https://www.army.mil/e2/downloads/rv7/forthoodreview/2020-12-03_FHIRC_report_redacted.pdf

I'm looking at the committee members' bios and god drat they were specifically chosen to salt the earth in their wake, including a former FBI assistant director, the FDA General Counsel, and the chair of the biggest law firm in Virginia.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

"They'll never find the bodies, I ate most of them and hid the rest too well," perhaps?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm looking at the committee members' bios and god drat they were specifically chosen to salt the earth in their wake, including a former FBI assistant director, the FDA General Counsel, and the chair of the biggest law firm in Virginia.

Hmm didn't notice that. I'm genuinely glad they did; I'd have expected a bunch of retired GOs and Raytheon board members.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Hmm didn't notice that. I'm genuinely glad they did; I'd have expected a bunch of retired GOs and Raytheon board members.

"The committee would like to offer special thanks to [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] for their invaluable information management and report composition assistance" is darkly hilarious

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

quote:

The 3CR placed their Regimental SHARP
office in a tiny windowless room with no phone or internet access. Few had access to official vehicles to meet victims and transport them to the hospital or for follow up services.

quote:

Additionally, the quality of SHARP personnel in the 3CR was raised as a serious issue. Multiple interviews supported this assertion. During the course of individual interviews one particular VA was singled out by many 3CR Soldiers as being toxic and unresponsive to their needs. It was heard from a large number of interview subjects that none of the 3CR Soldiers would go to that person because they gave bad advice.

There was a first line supervisor in my old unit who drew an "anime" (manga?) superhero version of his asian female troop and gave it to her during a counseling session. He was removed as a supervisor and given a job that nobody cared about.

If he was at Ft Hood, I am convinced he would have been the base SHARP monitor.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/joint-base-lewis-mcchord-colonel-accused-of-beating-wife-during-police-stand-off-1.656742

TACOMA, Wash. (Tribune News Service) — The chief of staff assigned to I Corps at Joint Base Lewis-McChord is accused of beating his wife in front of their children and repeatedly threatening to kill himself during a stand-off with police at the family's DuPont home.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

PeterCat posted:

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/joint-base-lewis-mcchord-colonel-accused-of-beating-wife-during-police-stand-off-1.656742

TACOMA, Wash. (Tribune News Service) — The chief of staff assigned to I Corps at Joint Base Lewis-McChord is accused of beating his wife in front of their children and repeatedly threatening to kill himself during a stand-off with police at the family's DuPont home.

"I am a direct reflection of my leadership."

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Sacrist65 posted:

There was a first line supervisor in my old unit who drew an "anime" (manga?) superhero version of his asian female troop and gave it to her during a counseling session. He was removed as a supervisor and given a job that nobody cared about.

If he was at Ft Hood, I am convinced he would have been the base SHARP monitor.

Some people just need to be taken out back and tuned up with an axe handle or two.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

This is why CSMs never swear. Because you get visible enough and some rear end in a top hat might actually care that technically swearing isn't allowed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I never understood why I was expected to kill people, but wasn't allowed to say gently caress.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I never understood why I was expected to kill people, but wasn't allowed to say gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

bulletsponge13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb1lF3UKLDQ

Beaten but still a good scene lol.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cryptonesia. I've seen that movie once- exactly once. And it was the Redux. No desire to ever watch it again.

I got in trouble when the Division Commander heard me say 'gently caress No', and sent my section leader to tell me not to curse.

"It's unprofessional."
"Not in my loving profession, S'arnt."

They let me get away with so much poo poo I should have gotten in real poo poo for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Happy New Year!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953804