Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

New year, new thread, same old song again.

Our top story: poo poo's poppin off in the Middle East. Protesters have stormed the American Embassy in Baghdad. President Trump quickly declared it the "anti-Benghazi." 82nd has sent troops. But it's all for naught. Mustang has already ETSed.

In sports, the ACFT continues to steamroll ahead in what can only be described as "a colossal shitshow." Units still don't have the equipment. The initial failure rate for female Soldiers is over 80%, thanks to the leg tuck. Barracks lawyers continue to debate the test's legality.

Hot off the runways of Virginia, a select group of 200 or so generals and CSMs have been chosen to wear the retro Pinks and Greens dress uniform. The jury is still out on just how bad berets look with the uniform, but early word is "real bad."

And finally, the weather. It's gonna continue to get hotter than hell this decade, so be safe, drink water, move north.

Back to you, Jim.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

You got me, man. I swear in every social media post about the test someone chimes in that it hasn't passed JAG review. I haven't researched it yet, but I would tend to think that before it got the official approval and they got the equipment logistics rolling, someone would've taken care of that, whatever that might entail.

Edit: A quick google turned up a USAWTFM post on FB from March that says, "Sources tell USAWTFM that the lack of alternate events and the current form of scoring guidelines are the sticking point for the test to make it past the legal review. OTJAG views the test as potentially discriminatory towards Soldiers with injuries (both combat-related and otherwise) and those undergoing rehabilitation for injury."

They have an alternate test now for profiles, so it's probably clear.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 1, 2020

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Carnival Rider posted:

they’re thinking of making a grading scale for them so it’s not just pass/fail.

They're also thinking of making the ACFT go/no go when it comes to promotions, which I'm for. I don't give a poo poo if you're a PT stud, just that you can meet the standard. I'd bring back MOS tests and make those weigh heavily in promotions, but that's another discussion.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m still in, but I’m a miltech so I have to be... three more months and then I can start applying for some DAC jobs

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

To help out the Reserve and the Guard, they should create training companies whose sole functions are to administer the ACFT and provide physical therapy/nutrition services to nearby units. I’d like to read whatever studies they did that determined it’s cheaper to contract out those services. I’m all for saving money, and at the same time we already have physical therapist and nutritionist MOSs, so why not have them actually do those jobs?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

rifles posted:

Because it's all about funding and doing the minimum to get by. In a perfect world we would have those MOSs incentivized and on orders to make them available to units for training. One company of 15-20 certified trainers could float around to different units on their drill weekends, teach ACFT movements, put out basic training and nutrition plans, and then make themselves available to individuals to assist in further training/planning or nutrition planning. Make funding available for soldiers to be paid to go meet with them on their own schedule if they want to.

In reality what happens is we force people to go to the MFT school, they come back, and the unit dedicates all of 20 minutes for their new master fitness trainer to demonstrate a movement per drill weekend and they yell how they're available to help with putting together a PT plan for you or help you figure out your nutritional plan... and then everyone just grumbles under their breath that they're getting out anyway and they don't care.

That’s all 100% accurate. We have 2 MFTs and they’ve done nothing related to fitness at drill in the last year.

And regarding the first part, it’d make the ACFT gear accountability and maintenance easier because it could be localized at those companies, as they’d also administer the tests. Hell, treat it like an ID card, where a Soldier could schedule an appointment to go get one M-F. It’d be something that the Reserve and Guard would work together on, but lol good luck with that

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

poo poo, just give him a DD 214 blanket

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Right now in the Reserve units are not authorized to interview for positions unless it’s for a position of trust or command team.

You can choose your own unit, and there are programs in place to cover travel expenses. Lodging-In-Kind (LIK) provides hotel rooms if you live over 50 miles from your unit, and the Inactive Duty Training - Travel Reimbursement Program (IDT-TRP) provides $500 to cover travel expenses if you live over 150 miles away. You can use them in conjunction. Distances are calculated through the Defense Table of Distances (DToD). These programs are subject to available funding.

Reserve units deploy pretty regularly, and you can always use the Tour of Duty website at MOBCOP to find volunteer assignments.

Not sure on the Entry Level Training requirements for prior service. Best to talk to a recruiter for that info.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 12, 2020

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anytime. Say hey to Nester for me

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Having a central, or several, locations to conduct the ACFT is a thing the Army is (or was) trying to do. And it's got a ton of problems as I mentioned before (contracts for building these places falling through).

*snip*

And regs would have to all be changed too. Schools, boards, and jobs that require a record PT test from the last 30 days would be laughable.

That would only require policy changes, as 350-1 para 3-13 outlines the APFT requirements for schools, and all it says is that you can’t be flagged for APFT or body comp failure to attend schools. The whole 90/60/30 passing APFT requirement is just unit-developed CYA measures, much like the “must have 70 in every event” bs some units try.

As for the rest you’re spot on. I can only speak from the Reserve side, but I feel like they’re really half-assing this as usual. We have a unique opportunity to actually address the physical readiness problems we face Army-wide and all they’ve managed so far is shipping the equipment around, which we’re not authorized to use outside of an ACFT.

One of the most fundamental aspects of being a Soldier is treated like an afterthought and chucked into the “individual responsibility” bucket. The Army has MOSs for PTAs, PTs, and nutritionists. Fucken use them.

The Reserve already has a Training Command devoted solely to training drill sergeants and instructors. I’d mission and resource them to stand up a Soldier Fitness Division that provides units with ACFT testing, nutrition and fitness plans, and (ideally) physical rehab services. Yeah, there’d be a huge cost outlay and lots of logistical issues to work out, but I’m literally shitposting so we can hash out the details later.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

If you haven’t swapped doors from the commander’s Humvee to yours because of the loving zippers the hell are you even in the army for

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Literally second day back in the office and we find out there are two positive cases in the building next door. Some genius up the chain, upon finding out about the cases, said words to the effect of “Well, we’ll either have to send the others home or move them over here.”

They ended up sending them home to telework again while they sanitize the place, but I know at least one person came over to our building and was all up in it for hours. I get so tired of these dickholes that watch Fox News all day being in charge of our health.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I love this part the most. New thread title?

I support this action. *signs off on the 4187, sends it to higher*

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We just got the email that our facility is now HPCON Charlie, so everyone that's not mission essential is teleworking next week. Who coulda seen that coming? Certainly not the people that listen to the CDC and the WHO instead of the ones that watch Fox News all day...

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

nescience posted:

Any cadre in here? Has mail call been changed with COVID restrictions?

Also obligatory looking for ideas... candy, playboy, anything else? Thought about a cell phone but that seems excessively mean spirited. Turns out you can buy about 350 gallons of packing peanuts for $100, but idk if that might annoy the DS too much.

We had cell phones on Sundays in Basic in 2009 (everyone except the one dude who tried to smuggle an extra), so I imagine they still get them.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m loving it. We haven’t been in person since March, and yet somehow everything still gets accomplished. We get the training schedule and list of due outs a few days prior, and you have to knock em out to get paid.

Most weekends I do about an hour or two of actual work, sit through a couple mandatory briefing Teams calls, and then go on with my day.

Best year in the Reserve by far.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh, I have no doubts that everyone that has pot is smoking. And yet...the mission is still getting completed. Weird, huh?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

maffew buildings posted:

My friend who is in some procurement role where as an O-4 he's the lowest ranking guy has grown mutton chops since he's been teleworking for months. Apparently they're also getting everything done and exceeding expectations.

Clearly having everyone in close quarters within standards and allowing some SNCOs to try to gently caress everything up would be better, though.

I’ve grown a full on lumberjack beard and haven’t seen or heard from my section SGM in six months. Stress levels are down and morale is up across the board. I probably should’ve turned down AT, but I could use the double-dip.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Some units are looking at doing one per quarter when this is over. There’s no need to have people come in from all over to do mandatory trainings. Save that for things that have to be done in person.

Semi-related, we tried to get a license for Adobe Sign to use in Teams, but Adobe hasn’t gotten DoD certification yet. Man, if we had that, we could do anything requiring a digital signature in Teams, like training rosters. It’d save a shitload of headache having people email a pdf around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Happy New Year!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953804