Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
wow, officer Miltwitter is loving hot this morning about E vs. O punishment double standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

I've found that higher ups love, LOVE, a dude who fucks up and recovers. I think it validates their personal beliefs in bootstraps or something.

I have seen guys, of whom I was certain had committed career ending fuckups (multiple times even), "correcting" course (getting better at hiding it) and ending up flying through the ranks and commanding brigades and divisions.

But that could also simply be my birds of a feather theory about high ranking people.

"Got to get de-moted to get pro-moted"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

McNally posted:

Just checked the status of my disability appeal on the VA's website. Says they closed it on April 30 due to them not hearing back from me.

Someone in my attorney's office has some 'splaining to do.

SSA is being extremely lenient on reasons for late filing of appeals, hope VA is too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If the school can be that short, why don't we knock active Airborne down to a battalion that can cadre up the draftees in WWIII and quit pretending Operation Market Garden 2 is right around the corner?

Seems like the money we save on the VA side would be substantial at least.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Anybody read the Ft Hood report? loving wild.

The first 30 pages or so are methodology, before it gets into the good (read: extremely bad) poo poo.

The most readable and pathetic part is the chapter on CID at Hood.

https://www.army.mil/e2/downloads/rv7/forthoodreview/2020-12-03_FHIRC_report_redacted.pdf

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ASAPI posted:

I really like how the report was not shy about naming and shaming individual units. Some of the quotes from soldiers were impressive, I'm not used to seeing quotes like that in the public record.

Last time we had this large of an investigation was Tailhook, right?

I don't know if Fat Leonard was really a cultural deep dive so much, although the criminal investigation was pretty far reaching.

I wanna say the Aberdeen scandal? I mean, it took the SMA down when it turned out he was a scumbag too. And it pretty much rewrote TRADOC.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I know nothing of this scandal of which you speak, got the cliff notes for the curious out there?

Basically, this entire scandal is the reason that from then on, no drill sergeant would ever speak to a recruit alone without a battle buddy present. Bunch of NCOs went to prison, one Captain even got hemmed up for rape. The post CG harrumphed for a bit then they found out he was loving around on his wife with a contractor.

The SMA was part of the investigation until it came out that he had been harassing/assaulting female subordinates, and he got court-martialed. (As an aside, the CO in my last unit was prior enlisted under him, and told me he was an unimaginable piece of poo poo even as a regular CSM.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_McKinney

To make the shitshow even worse, Kweisi Mfume, longtime leader of the Congressional Black Caucus who had just recently resigned to take the head position at the NAACP, came to McKinney's defense and tried to publicly raise charges that the court-martials were racially motivated.

And then, in 2004, he had to step down due to multiple charges of sexual harassment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Essentially, it was an amazing Russian nesting doll of "and then it got worse". Even six years later when I was going through the TRADOC cycle, leaders were blaming the women at Aberdeen for all the bullshit they had to deal with when training privates.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Also I guess as a triple post that's unrelated to the actual meat of the scandal or even the Army, as of 2020 Mfume is once again a Congressman for the state of Maryland. He never paid back the NAACP the six figures they had to shell out in settlements for his wandering dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm looking at the committee members' bios and god drat they were specifically chosen to salt the earth in their wake, including a former FBI assistant director, the FDA General Counsel, and the chair of the biggest law firm in Virginia.

Hmm didn't notice that. I'm genuinely glad they did; I'd have expected a bunch of retired GOs and Raytheon board members.