Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I heard that Sing 2 just retreads everything about Sing 1, so I wasn't too invested in watching it.

Also there was nothing wrong with minions at their inception. They were a solid vehicle for physical gags. But then they became, uh, what they became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I'm watching Sing 2, it's Illumination's best film by like a million miles, it's almost like it's an any-other-studio movie instead

It's amazingly good looking.

SirSamVimes posted:

I heard that Sing 2 just retreads everything about Sing 1, so I wasn't too invested in watching it.

Yes, but it looks WAY better while doing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Sing 2 is amazingly good and could be Illuminations big redemption moment but I'm not sure I'm ready to forgive them for inventing minions

Aren't they making the new Mario movie? Have to wait and see how that works out. Yes, the Chris Pratt one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't they making the new Mario movie? Have to wait and see how that works out. Yes, the Chris Pratt one.

I prefer to think of it as the "Charlie Day as Luigi" one, but yes I believe that's correct.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SirSamVimes posted:

It has different vibes because now they’re a troupe and family who all love each other and there’s other stuff going on like a literally murderous wolf producer and his kinda cool daughter, and a Bono lion who needs to be encouraged to sing again after his wife died

I looooved it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don’t want to come across as a gimmick but the lion character was incredibly well designed and animated, in his big song moment at the end the facial animation is just stunning, like nothing Illumination has even come close to before

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are you on FFXIV? Do you play the big buff beastman race? It seems inevitable

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are you on FFXIV? Do you play the big buff beastman race? It seems inevitable

mayb

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Chris Miller says each dimension in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will have its own animation style.

Chris Miller posted:

“It is, as Phil said, a very ambitious sequel, because we didn’t want to just sort of do the same thing again. And so the idea that we’d be going to different dimensions really opened up an opportunity artistically to have each world have its own art style, and to be able to push the folks at ImageWorks to develop a way to have each dimension feel like it was drawn by a different artist’s hand. Seeing the development of that stuff is breathtaking, and really, it’s the reason we keep doing it, because it’s so hard to get it right.”

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Hedrigall posted:

I don’t want to come across as a gimmick

Why start worrying about that now? :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Newspaper Spiderman Newspaper Spiderman

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Belle’s behind the scenes showed a bit about how they distorted the face based on how it’s facing the camera so it always stays on model to Jin Kim’s drawings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chompotron/status/1481553948721180677

Studio Orange joined in on the discussion showing how they’ve automated this process in their tv shows Houseki no Kuni and Beastars

https://mobile.twitter.com/CG_Orange_eng/status/1482422057933565953

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just, just put vacuum cleaner into my wallet now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/rblueboy777/status/1482447078416470018?s=21

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Barudak posted:

Just, just put vacuum cleaner into my wallet now

I'm torn between wanting to know nothing about these films before they come out and knowing everything about them before they come out

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ccs posted:

Belle’s behind the scenes showed a bit about how they distorted the face based on how it’s facing the camera so it always stays on model to Jin Kim’s drawings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chompotron/status/1481553948721180677

Studio Orange joined in on the discussion showing how they’ve automated this process in their tv shows Houseki no Kuni and Beastars

https://mobile.twitter.com/CG_Orange_eng/status/1482422057933565953

I remember this being a thing when Epic Mickey came out; they had to put effort into making sure Mickey's floating ears are always in the right place. Meanwhile, Kingdom Hearts just didn't give a gently caress.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's a shame they didn't put the same amount of effort into making Epic Mickey a good game

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
I started watching Ousama on thread recommendation, and now I want a Kage plushie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jaunting back five pages to bring this up and say that it was excellent, though the third story lacked the punch of the other two

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Macaluso posted:

It's a shame they didn't put the same amount of effort into making Epic Mickey a good game

The real shame is that we never got the Epic Mickey that they were marketing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The real shame is that we never got the Epic Mickey that they were marketing.
The hype from the concept art definitely bit them in the rear end

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Me as an exec at dreamworks in 2013:

*does a mountain of cocaine and scribbles "WHAT IF SNAIL = WANT TO GO FAST??" on a post it note*

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

jaunting back five pages to bring this up and say that it was excellent, though the third story lacked the punch of the other two

Thanks for bringing it up again because I almost skipped it! It's definitely a good watch.

The first section is awesome and by far the best of the three. The second is a bit weaker but still solidly unsettling in a fun way.

The third section is a bit of a mixed bag, I agree. It looks great and has good atmosphere but the story bugs the crap out of me. Overall it's a decent fable about letting go of a toxic unworkable dream but in addition to being basically a different genre from the other two (drama, rather than horror) it also mixes in a bunch of pseudo-intelectual woo bullshit that I could have done without. Also it really pisses me off when one character "helps" another in incredibly destructive ways without their consent and the whole story is built around that. I still wouldn't call it "bad" though.

So yeah, definitely worth the time spent watching it. Highly recommended.

Unrelated: So now Netflix is recommending this to me and just... what??

Magic... deer? :crossarms:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and that image feels like it should be in a PSA about bad touching

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

readingatwork posted:

]

"You want me to pay for a series about Riverdancers? Those prancing q... oh wait, waiioiit. WHAT IF IT WAS MAGIC PRANCING DEER!"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Laughing my rear end off imagining a group of marketing executives becoming increasingly desperate as they try to figure out how the hell to make a kid's movie about a dance troup from the 90's which even at the time was mostly enjoyed by the elderly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and I recall even then it (and Lord of the Dance) was mocked mercilessly in the media, including mocking how so many people jumped on the Irish stepdancing bandwagon

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Cinesite made that movie. They’re on a roll of making kids movies that nobody really wants but their quality is high enough that they still get commissioned to do more. I think it’s all from external producers that come to them with the projects as opposed to in house development like at Disney, etc, which explains why their films are such producer and executive driven hackery. Apparently a pretty nice place to work though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ccs posted:

Yeah Cinesite made that movie. They’re on a roll of making kids movies that nobody really wants but their quality is high enough that they still get commissioned to do more. I think it’s all from external producers that come to them with the projects as opposed to in house development like at Disney, etc, which explains why their films are such producer and executive driven hackery. Apparently a pretty nice place to work though.

Kinda wild to have a mid to high budget CG film version of vanity publishing for the equivalent of weird direct to video (or might as well be) poo poo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Thanks for bringing it up again because I almost skipped it! It's definitely a good watch.

The first section is awesome and by far the best of the three. The second is a bit weaker but still solidly unsettling in a fun way.

The third section is a bit of a mixed bag, I agree. It looks great and has good atmosphere but the story bugs the crap out of me. Overall it's a decent fable about letting go of a toxic unworkable dream but in addition to being basically a different genre from the other two (drama, rather than horror) it also mixes in a bunch of pseudo-intelectual woo bullshit that I could have done without. Also it really pisses me off when one character "helps" another in incredibly destructive ways without their consent and the whole story is built around that. I still wouldn't call it "bad" though.

So yeah, definitely worth the time spent watching it. Highly recommended.

Unrelated: So now Netflix is recommending this to me and just... what??

drat it, I read beer. I'm not suure yet if that makes it less or more crazy than deer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Turbo is a garbage tier movie and I’m dreading all the later dreamworks movies I have left in my chronological watch through, at least there’s a handful of good ones still to come like Panda 3/Dragon 2 & 3

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

poronty posted:

I started watching Ousama on thread recommendation, and now I want a Kage plushie.

:yeah:
He's such a sweetie. I love every time hands are held in that drat show.

readingatwork posted:

Laughing my rear end off imagining a group of marketing executives becoming increasingly desperate as they try to figure out how the hell to make a kid's movie about a dance troup from the 90's which even at the time was mostly enjoyed by the elderly.

My music teacher made our 1st grade class watch Riverdance in its entirety in 1995 and I never loving forgave her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Das Boo posted:

My music teacher made our 1st grade class watch Riverdance in its entirety in 1995 and I never loving forgave her.
Some people reall6 just become teachers because they hate kids :byodood:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ccs posted:

A friend of a friend used to work at Cinesite in London and yes, it’s apparently nice there. They used to be all CGI vfx and I guess now they do full animation now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Robindaybird posted:

and I recall even then it (and Lord of the Dance) was mocked mercilessly in the media, including mocking how so many people jumped on the Irish stepdancing bandwagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSOAQkA9DdE

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

good ones still to come like Panda 3/Dragon 2 & 3

There must be some lion characters in these that I forgot, because from what I do remember, these were garbage. (To be fair, HTTYD 2 was so bad I didn’t watch 3, so I’m just assuming there.)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Captain Underpants was an underrated banger. And you know what? Boss Baby had no right to be as good as it was. Which isn't to say its a good movie, but it had strange amounts of effort put into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I always like in musicals in general is when an early song foreshadows the rest of the plot in some way, line in Encanto some lyrics towards the end of Waiting on a Miracle spell out the main character's journey.

Most obviously when she's asking about what her destiny might be after complaining about what she CAN'T do, you see an image of the Casita is the clearest thing in that scene visually, everything else is hazy, but the Casita is clear as day, showing that Mirabel's destiny is in some way linked to the house itself.

Then one of the later verses spells out what she does throughout the movie -
"I would move the mountains,
Make new trees and flowers grow,
Someone please just let me know,
where do I go?
I'm waiting on a miracle.
I would heal what's broken
And show this family something new
etc"

(this block is now ending spoilers)

When the house collapses the mountains also crack in two, so in triggering that by calling out Abuela and taking the stress to it's breaking point, she does move the mountain.
Isabella only realises that she can make more elaborate plants when Mirabel angers her.
She heals the stresses that are being put on the family, that much is obvious, and in being the first to be there for the ones that need it most, encouraging Isabella's exploration and empathising with Luisa and forcing Abuela to face her flaws, she allows the family to express new parts of themselves that were being supressed before.

Also post-ending you just know that the new casita has a room for Mirabel. They clearly built individual rooms for themselves while rebuilding the house without any expectation of getting their magic back (you see a bunch of normal doors before they get magically charged again), so it would be a weirdly dick move to leave Mirabel just in the nursery. Her room won't have any special properties like the others do, but she'll probably decorate her door and arrange the room how she wants it (floor space permitting).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

A friend of a friend used to work at Cinesite in London and yes, it’s apparently nice there. They used to be all CGI vfx and I guess now they do full animation now?

Yeah they were the first vfx studio to test the waters of feature animation because the pipelines carry over and it’s actually a bit easier to pull off and make a profit with cgi animation than vfx. They still do have a very active vfx branch though.

DNEG followed their lead into that industry from vfx and did the animation for the recent film Ron’s Gone Wrong. DNEG and Cinesite have been trading blows back and forth by poaching each other’s talent as they try to establish themselves as the big new feature outsource studio. But Technicolor’s Mikros has apparently captured the most projects by grabbing a lot of ex Blue Sky talent and executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Robindaybird posted:

I distinctly remember some movie about an Irish duckling left behind in the winter that ended with him stepdancing. Early 00s, maybe even nineties?

edit: found it, 'The First Snow of Winter', and it's not just at the end either!