Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

It's because the first two sonic movies were good and Mario is an unproven commodity

Mario's definitely a proven commodity, it was in 1993 and my 10 year old self thought it was wonderful. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, yeah. Mario's literally a replacement for Popeye.

It's like if they released a new and expensive popeye zoetrope.

E: Why haven't they?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The main take away I got from the reactions to the most recent Mario movie trailer is that a lot of people want to see Luigi and Bowser kiss.

Make it happen Nintendo!

That scene of Luigi being telekinetically bound has me thinking there's like a ~35% chance of him saving the day through doing nothing. If that happens, let the record show that I called it.

FunkyAl posted:

It's like if they released a new and expensive popeye zoetrope.

E: Why haven't they?

Tartakovsky tried!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Schwarzwald posted:

Tartakovsky tried!

I should clarify, I mean they should build a room sized three dimensional animated sculpture based on popeye. The tartakovsky Popeye movie ironically works great in its existing form of a black and white animated cartoon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, yeah. Mario's literally a replacement for Popeye.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

"Magazine for City Boys" makes me laugh harder than I probably should.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

FunkyAl posted:

It's occurring to me that mario is already a 3d cartoon, except it is interactive and lasts several hours longer than a movie.
the book of mario is not a series of disconnected entities but a single work. new entries don't eclipse the ones that came before, but enhance and enrich them, like the bible. all of it is part of the single unified story of mario mario, a proud catholic romani man who loves his brother, women, and plumbing, in approximately that order

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 30, 2022

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I wanna be a City Boy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mario's definitely a proven commodity, it was in 1993 and my 10 year old self thought it was wonderful. :colbert:
:hai:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If sonic counts as animation does transformers count too? Because the trailer for Rise of the Beasts just dropped and woo boy, it's a spicy one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiE38DvpZKI

I didn't realize it's a sequel to Bumblebee. That instantly makes me about 10000% more interested than if it was just another Micheal Bay shitshow(he's still there, but not the main one at the helm this time)

The Beasts look amazing. Primal looks awesome, he even has his stupid spiked skull flail and detachable darth maul sword from the original toy! The robots having reduced detail to no longer resemble a sheet of aluminum foil crumped in your hand definitely helps a ton. And Arcee and Mirage are there! The story sounds...generic, time traveling be-all bad guy I assume, but if it's as good as bumblebee I'll be more than happy.

Actually, wait, Rattrap isn't in the movie. 0 stars

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Did I just miss it in all the CG or are there no Decepticons, Predacons, or anything actually indicating what the antagonists are in this movie?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did I just miss it in all the CG or are there no Decepticons, Predacons, or anything actually indicating what the antagonists are in this movie?

They’re called Terrorcons this time.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mario goes out in like one hit and only makes it through the games because of generous extra lives/continues so him being kind of bad at this makes perfect sense. :science:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

If sonic counts as animation does transformers count too? Because the trailer for Rise of the Beasts just dropped and woo boy, it's a spicy one

I didn't realize it's a sequel to Bumblebee. That instantly makes me about 10000% more interested than if it was just another Micheal Bay shitshow(he's still there, but not the main one at the helm this time)

The Beasts look amazing. Primal looks awesome, he even has his stupid spiked skull flail and detachable darth maul sword from the original toy! The robots having reduced detail to no longer resemble a sheet of aluminum foil crumped in your hand definitely helps a ton. And Arcee and Mirage are there! The story sounds...generic, time traveling be-all bad guy I assume, but if it's as good as bumblebee I'll be more than happy.

Crepes that looks awesome and Peter Cullen gave me goosebumps

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I like how the ape robot transforms into a very slightly less ape-like robot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Mario goes out in like one hit and only makes it through the games because of generous extra lives/continues so him being kind of bad at this makes perfect sense. :science:

Mario has a life bar since M64!

Edit: earlier than that if you count spinoffs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I realize they're sized up so they can be the size of Optimus and the other Transformers, and they're more robotic because they're Bayformers, but I kinda wish the beasts looked more like... y'know, animals in their beast modes. That Primal doesn't look like a gorilla that turns into a robot, it looks like a robot gorilla that turns into a humanoid robot

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Although the director claimed that Decepticons and Predacons will be in this movie, so far only the three Terrorcon characters have been revealed as villains. You can see their leader Scourge holding Bumblebee by the throat in the trailer, along with the robot mode of Battletrap (he has the kinda boxy torso) in the big battle near the end of the trailer, and the Nissan Skyline mode of Nightbird in one of the chase scenes.

TwoPair posted:

I realize they're sized up so they can be the size of Optimus and the other Transformers, and they're more robotic because they're Bayformers, but I kinda wish the beasts looked more like... y'know, animals in their beast modes. That Primal doesn't look like a gorilla that turns into a robot, it looks like a robot gorilla that turns into a humanoid robot

The problem is that the original Beast Wars character did not have to interact with the vehicle characters while also looking like they're roughly the same size as the local wildlife. This even got added to the lore where the Predacons and Maximals have upgraded and smaller energy-efficient bodies compared to Autobots and Decepticons. They were also in prehistoric times so disguising were not the reason for beast modes, but instead they were radiation shielding. However, in later stories where the Beast Wars characters are just another type of Transformers that coexist with the vehicle characters, the size difference would be too much work to explain and made interaction difficult. So beast characters just transform into giant animals.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 2, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Arcee's weird porcelain doll face weirds me out

I mean I'd still drive her down a bumpy stretch of road but still

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I kept looking for Rat-trap, but I didn’t see Rat-trap. I demand Rat-trap be in this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I kept looking for Rat-trap, but I didn’t see Rat-trap. I demand Rat-trap be in this.

If you don’t see him then he’s doing his job well. (He was also my favorite.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Hannah_illo/status/1599847988268240896

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good for them! Nickelodeon animators have produced some of the most iconic and beloved series over the past several decades, but instead of being treated with respect and given fair financial compensation for their work, they're routinely screwed over by a shortsighted studio in ways that seem intentionally cruel.

I hope this helps turn things around for them.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 6, 2022

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i got slimed by nickelodeon at universal studios when i was 9 and they didn't tell me it was going to happen, just "hey kid you want to be on tv" and then before i had time to wonder why they'd given me an extra shirt i was on-stage before a live audience and fully slimed and weeping in terror

i didn't even watch nickelodeon, i don't think i knew what it was

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 6, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was watching Heavy Metal and during the last vignette there's this gorgeous sweeping shot of this blasted landscape whirling by as the Terachian is flying on her bird . There's so much detail in this scene, all the little cracks in the ground and pipes and stuff. The cartoon came out in the eighties, some parts there look almost cel shaded but it's gotta be decades before that tech came out right? I guess they did all of it by hand?

It's interesting because the whole movie looked so much better than Heavy Metal 2000, which had cgi and digital shading on the art. In that movie the cgi looks extremely dated in the space ship scenes and the art itself looks average but there's nothing super novel about it. Doing the vignettes was better because you had a lot of variety in art styles. It was only until I read some of the actual comics that I realized just how much they brought the animation to life. Didn't read FAKK2 but the style is a lot more generic which doesn't help the idea of a provocative, hyperviolent story they wanted to tell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Some work there was done by rotoscoping shots of miniatures that had been painted black with white outlines- that’s how some of the shots of the bomber were done as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Did one of the Heavy Metal movies have a sequence where brightly coloured aliens do cocaine? I have faint memories of watching something insane on light-night television when I was younger but the details escape me.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

YggiDee posted:

Did one of the Heavy Metal movies have a sequence where brightly coloured aliens do cocaine? I have faint memories of watching something insane on light-night television when I was younger but the details escape me.

That was the first Heavy Metal. It had a bunch of animated vignettes and I think it is a bit of a fun. I saw the scene one night of the WW2 bomber pilots being attacked by the zombies of their crew and it haunted me for an age as a kid.

The second one exists but I do have a soft spot for Michael Ironside hamming his way though the bad B-movie plot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

YggiDee posted:

Good nyborg! Yeah one of the more benign and funny vignettes had a pair of aliens get coked out and struggle to land their spaceship.

John Candy did the narration for Den, I think he also did the voice of the horny robot in the other short as well.

Crazy Ferret posted:

That was the first Heavy Metal. It had a bunch of animated vignettes and I think it is a bit of a fun. I saw the scene one night of the WW2 bomber pilots being attacked by the zombies of their crew and it haunted me for an age as a kid.

The second one exists but I do have a soft spot for Michael Ironside hamming his way though the bad B-movie plot.
Yeah the bomber short was scary. Michael Ironside was the best part of Heavy Metal 2000. He makes such great villains.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
watched The Black Cauldron for the first time last night, one of the few Disney animated features I never watched as a kid. the story is weak and the scars of its infamously troubled production are amply visible, but a lot of the animation is quite nice and it's interesting to see Disney trying something different in that era. Gurgi will always be a terrible excuse for a comic relief character, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3sYL7vJTQ

More Mario clips! Weirdly reminded of early Futurama.

Actually going all in on the video game logic is honestly a nice take, and frankly it's literally any settlement in the Mario games. Yes, they do have coin blocks and floating platforms and pipes just laying around in the middle of populated settlements in the games and often implied to be part of casually used infrastructure.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Looks great and wow that music sounds fantastic. Why do they keep using the lovely horror movie version of the theme in the trailers

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually going all in on the video game logic is honestly a nice take, and frankly it's literally any settlement in the Mario games. Yes, they do have coin blocks and floating platforms and pipes just laying around in the middle of populated settlements in the games and often implied to be part of casually used infrastructure.

that little "bam" sound from super mario bros u when he pops out from the glass pipe

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's a clip of the Wolf from the new Puss in Boots movie god he's cool :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm going to be so bummed out when he has like 5 minutes screentime total

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think this is the right take to go - just completely lean into it instead of trying to ground it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

A few details I didn't pick up on the first time:

The motif that is playing while they're at the coin boxes is the SMB3 Toad house theme
The antiques shop, I thought they were talking about the warp whistle with the shop owner going "you have to blow into it". But no, the Toad is holding an NES cartridge.
Before they go onto the two moving platforms, Mario does a little run and it's his run animation from the more current games
In the antique shop there's a SMW Yoshi coin behind glass. As well as a hammer bros power up.
The Cheep Cheep in the bag does a little suspicious squint at Mario as it passes by him

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah this actually looks good, some good animation too with him flopping over after coming out of the pipe. And I love the score going wild remixing all the old themes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watched the new Pinocchio movie this morning. What a fascinatingly weird take on the material.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I love that it’s basically an open challenge to the whole Pinocchio story, Carlo Collodi or otherwise. Instead of a puppet becoming “real” after learning how to be good, in Guillermo’s words, “The virtue Pinocchio has is to disobey. At a time when everybody else behaves as a puppet—he doesn’t.”

It’s like… genuinely anti-fascist messaging? Not just because of the literal fascists in the story, but the lesson seems to be that if the rules/systems are bad it is morally imperative to break them. Which loving rules! Idk, at least that was my read on it.

I think some parts are clunky, like the boy-soldier training camp/paintball fight. It’s a lot of components and it doesn’t all flow nicely, but there’re interesting ideas in there and I appreciate the intent.