Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't Netflix already having problems that nobody's interested in their new shows because everything gets cancelled on a cliffhanger after two seasons?

i was moaning to a friend how it sucked that netflix gave no marketing towards Tuca & Bertie, took the "hard data", and deduced that no one wanted to watch it so they canceled it. my friend replied with exactly what you said as a reason that they're gonna cancel their subscription soon. my partner and i have someone else's account, and we never watch anything on it.

Love Death and Robots is great because they're self-contained stories at least. and Centaurworld got to finish, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
also HBO Max has a lot of rad stuff on the way

i was shocked when i learned they LOST subscribers last year. they have a great selection and variety of things, really feels like early 2010s Netflix

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

i just accepted a job offer for an animated Netflix show today :unsmith:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

So far Charlie & the Chocolate Factory seems to be safe? My friend said she couldn't say much, but she's okay.

Also I'm going to an adult show, which isn't as affected yet (since there's no Boss Baby metric lmao)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Wow gently caress. I thought it was a Laika for a second.

It's done at Shadow Machine's Portland studio, so there's probably a lot of crossover of stop-mo animators

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyvFwhOdmL4

yooo the animation in this would've been loving sick. thanks a lot zaslav

i believe this is still being worked on, but it's no longer going to HBOMax, so it's being shopped around.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah the new Peter Pan and Wendy isn't bad, but it's also not bringing many new ideas to the story, and it left me wanting to rewatch the 2004 movie instead. It was done by the director of The Green Knight and the Pete's Dragon remake which I found enjoyable (because I never cared for the original as a kid).

That said, I really liked the set piece for the final Hook confrontation, and oddly enough it had my favorite Wendy portrayal. But it's also the least whimsical Neverland I've ever seen.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ursula sounds drunk as hell

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it's pretty standard for feature animation. that disney+ frozen 2 (quality of the movie aside) documentary highlights how much fuckery happens during a movie's production AND post-production (it happens in TV animation too but to a lesser extent because much shorter schedules). the doc shows how animators had fully rendered and animated shots that got scrapped because the script was still changing. it's a waste of everyone's time, but it's become the norm now because execs aren't artists

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

so the toxic work environment that almost got three people severely injured was acceptable or worth it. Granted we've not heard things be THAT bad(yet), but it's a very familiar tune.

crunch at ND is notoriously awful, but trying to equate bumbling construction workers hired by the building owners as directly the fault of ND is a bit of a stretch

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Do they not use storyboards? Are the directors from a non animation background and insist on doing it the same was as live action?

I highly recommend watching that Frozen 2 documentary on Disney+. The script wasn't even figured out fully. Then there was an animatic screening (with lots of finished shots!) 6 months before the release date where they got a ton of story notes from execs and higher ups. I think episode 4 or 5 shows a few animators reacting to their fully rendered shots getting scrapped.

That said, no idea how DreamWorks keeps costs so low since it seems EVERY studio does what Disney does

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i'd say being mediocre is worse than being bad, as someone who finds enjoyment in watching Foodfight and the Room

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
"I Just Can't Wait To Be King" has a bunch of baby animals all running across a field with Simba, no dancing or anything

I legit burst out laughing in the theater after Mufasa dies and we see Simba's stupid "nooooo" face

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
iirc it's that Disney and Pixar include salaries of people who would be working at the studio whether or not the project is going, like producers

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I'm a little concerned that at least a bit of it is AI being explored as artist replacement. I keep hearing about near-billions being poured into its development by big studios, the above included.

something WB is trying out is having boards and design also done at overseas studios.

my friend is currently doing freelance for one of them to fix the boards they're sending back lmao

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
In 2021 they gave everyone puffy North Face jackets, which is a little useless most of the time in Los Angeles but it was good quality.

In 2022 after Zaslav took over, they gave us duffel bags with no pockets.

I shudder to think of what the gift this year will be (I was laid off in September, so we'll see if they even bother to send me anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
having just rewatched it a couple weeks ago (tho not having watched more than a few clips of the show), I feel like she's much more expressive than later Disney heroines. she's allowed to be a true dork, she's allowed to ugly cry (my partner commented that he doesn't recall any heroine since getting red eyes when they cry), and that works so well to display her naivety about the outside world. I've never considered her facial expressions oof in any way