Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just watched C&D today and found it very good. It's not Roger Rabbit but in a strange way I don't think it was ever trying to be? Like, it obviously invites the comparison with the whole cartoons in the real world/cartoons from all around schtick but RR is trying to tell a 50s hardboiled detective story (or I guess more accurately, adapt a book about comics to use cartoons) featuring cartoons, whereas C&D is trying to do a story about cartoons-as-actors that just happen to get caught up in a mystery (that just happen to have played detectives). The comparison isn't all the way apples-and-oranges, but my point is that despite being similar, they're very different movies.

Anyway this is a roundabout way of me saying B-, would watch a sequel. I hope they get a little more out there with the crossovers. Like don't get me wrong I don't want this to be a Ready Player One/Space Jam 2 situation where we're just cramming in IP for IP's sake, but at the same time it feels like there were a lot of places where we just got some generic background toons or more Disney stuff (which I get in 2022 it's increasingly hard to not have stuff be not-Disney) rather than branch out into the wider world of animation. All I'm saying is that in Roger Rabbit it was a big loving deal to have Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse on screen together and in this movie the only Looney Tune to cameo was Foghorn Leghorn on a TV dinner.

Also:

RESCUE RANGERS WORLD FOR KH4

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was the movie always meant for streaming? I think the half assed "2D" would have been less insulting if the movie wasn't specifically about animation.

I don't think so. I base this purely on Mulaney and Samberg hosting Jimmy Kimmel Live last week (which is actually pretty funny, they didn't know they were hosting and winged the whole thing, including interviewing each other), where they mention several times that not going to theaters was "their choice" very sarcastically in a way that heavily implies it was not. So you can take that as Disney knowing it looked bad and not releasing it in theaters or as them recognizing, wisely imo, that Rescue Rangers is not a huge property that's gonna put asses in seats.

The cel-shaded 2D didn't bother me as much as it did some people just because I guess I've been watching cartoons for years now and seen them get cheaper with time (tbf that's not always a slam, it can just be a style choice) so it just doesn't strike me as bad. I guess them having to blend so many styles nowadays (in Roger Rabbit it was all just 2D (or "2D") whereas in this movie they work in everything from puppets to claymation to CGI of varying quality depending on the character) means that budget goes higher and by necessity corners had to be cut and they decided the cel-shading looked good enough.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Chip & Dale was fine, there was basically no reason for Dale to have the CG look beyond making a joke about the CGI surgery. And these characters should've been traditionally animated. Chip actually looked alright and so did Monterey Jack but Gadget and Zipper looked loving HORRENDOUS. Dale's body animations were actually not too bad, the faces were not great though. But holy cow I can't overstate just how awful Gadget looked. Peter Pan also looked terrible. The fact that there WERE traditionally animated characters throughout the whole movie made it even worse. I mean the scene with where they're running through the bootleg movie studio, the bootleg Winnie the Pooh and Simpsons were traditional animation, and they were animated WELL. So WHY did they not do that with the main characters?!?!?! It drives me insane.

Ellie also felt like a half baked character but I don't really know what the movie could've done to fix that to be honest.

If I had to guess, money. Pooh and the Simpsons were only there for a scene. Chip/Peter/the rest were in way more and ergo would've cost more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and the iconic antagonist being human, yeah. Combine that with Sega's approach to worldbuilding being 'stare blankly, throw toys out the pram when pressed' and you get not much of a defined setting, so you pretty much have to make poo poo up one way or another. (the IDW comics currently can't even name the planet they're set on)

Yeah, people made Bayformers comparisons for a reason. Now I get that CGI is expensive and it's a fuckload easier to shoot some romcom drama, it's not like they can just swap it out for more Tails, but still. It's mostly about Sonic and Knuckles in the end with Tails just kinda there.

I think the problem is that Tails on his own presents no conflict (at least not in the movie and not traditionally in most Sonic media). The movie needs a villain and while it's easy to go "well just do Robotnik again and have Sonic and Tails bond while fighting him" like all the games, Hollywood franchises usually work on escalation. The villain can't just be Robotnik (to be clear, I think it could've, I'm just going from the mindset of most writers/executives), so they have to jump to Sonic 3 and bring in Knuckles*. Which leaves poor Tails just kinda... there, having to speedrun through friendship in like 3 scenes so he can be Sonic's best friend in time for something dramatic to happen to him.

Witeldram posted:

I finally watched the new Rescue Rangers and overall I liked it. But yikes, what were they thinking with the Bobby Driscoll reference? I can't believe they actually went through with that.

I think it's an unfortunate accident. They were clearly going for the easy joke of Peter Pan, the boy who never grows up, growing up into a scumbag. That's it, roll snare drum. You can say that they should've done more homework into animation history found out about what happened to Driscoll, and rethought the idea, but I severely doubt that the Lonely Island guys set out to go "Hey guys let's make this joke with the an incredibly dark easter egg for real fans."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I don’t get how they thought that joke has teeth in a world where Hook came out thirty years ago.

I hate to make you feel old but you're exactly right, Hook came out 30 years ago. Which means there's an entire generation of ~20-30 year old Disney+ subscribers out there and there's a strong chance lots of them have never seen Hook, so the joke still has teeth... or it's resharpened it's teeth? I don't know how to make this metaphor work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

Did the writers of the film not know chip and Dale were around in the forties?

I'm sure they did but a.) the story works better if Chip and Dale are middle-aged and not octogenarians b.) it's arguable that Rescue Rangers is the most popular thing C&D were ever in so why bother mentioning the 40s stuff (but of course I don't really know how you'd compare 80s/90s Nielsen ratings to popularity in 40s movie serials.)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 28, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man old fairy tales ruled in a hosed up way

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

Pray tell what is this Pinocchio going to do any different that the 1996 one.

"Make us more money" - Disney

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the children won't care about the animals unless we teach them to

Maybe Sing 3 can have a bunch of endangered species singing popular hits

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

OK KO's captain planet crossover was pretty ballsy. The overall message was basically The world's hosed because people refuse to acknowledge the situation and it's probably too late and it's all our own fault as a species

That's one of my favorite dark punchlines on TV ever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

If they wanted to have a space adventure movie why not just make a space adventure movie? Why's it gotta be this guy?

You know the answer already. It rhymes with shmarketability.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I have a theory it’s a long con to replace Tim Allen so they can make more Toy Story movies with Buzz.

I would not be surprised one bit if that were also the case. Honestly the only reason I think it wouldn't be is because it probably costs way less to cast Tim Allen than Chris Evans these days

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My best guess is that since they never say Sonic the Hedgehog™ and just leave it as Ugly Sonic, Sega didn't raise a stink.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe I'm looking forward to watching a Shrek spinoff in TYOOL 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

How many people have even seen the movie at this point?

Judging from some podcasts I listen to, seems like the bar to being "press" or Disney just sending you a review copy is real low so I'm sure a lot more than you'd think have

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I realize this isn't really animation news but in not remotely surprising news: Disney's making a live action Hercules. Hope you liked Guy Ritchie's Aladdin because he's doing this one too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

All the live action remakes are bad and a blight upon this earth

:hmmyes:

In retrospect, if Rescue Rangers really wanted to be Roger Rabbit 2 the plot should've been a mystery about all the cartoon characters getting kidnapped and turned into humans. But I doubt the suits would let them talk smack about their business plan for the next ~20 years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I mean they couldn’t even nut up and do it with Timon and Pumbaa, even with like six extra hours of run time

Idk I'm comfortable ignoring it with the uncomfortable thing of them being two different species

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is the live action remakes are made to be forgotten. No one remembers the live action 101 Dalmations, and I don't think at this point even that there was a Cinderella one. And Disney doesn't help matters- they aren't selling merchandise of these, the Disney Princess line and future cameos are all based on the original cartoons.

I feel like that'll definitely change when the new Little Mermaid comes out, for obvious reasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

I feel like going straight to streaming helped Turning Red's buzz. I loved it, and it's only the third Pixar movie I've watched from the past 10 years, got a big backlog. Monsters University, Toy Story 4, and Turning Red I've checked out.

Just saw Ratatouille and Up for the first time in the past year too.

Lightyear looks pretty good! I don't know if there's a separate thread for this scary stuff, but saw talk of some politicians like Ted Cruz saying messed up stuff about this movie. What a world.

They had a whole 2 minutes of gay in the movie! GAY! Such sheer madness would surely invoke the wrath of Cruz and his ilk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How are they leaks when the show is already released

because that generates more SEO/clicks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I shouldn't be surprised but man that was so much smaller than I expected

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally a gritty remake of my favorite Far Side cartoon

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
COMPLETE. GLOBAL. SATURATION.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

What, again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMOMTtAMBI&t=12s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

i feel like this series if it ever comes to fruition is going to have a scene where buttercup, hands on hips, loudly proclaims "OH. And it's THEY/THEM, for the RECORD." before walking out of a scene as Blossom's monocle pops off

I remember seeing somebody made a live-action PPG Bingo chart a while back and "Gay Buttercup" was the free space.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sourdough Sam posted:

Didn't that one PPG reboot have some creepy stuff with someone who worked on the show getting his very obvious self insert to date one of them in an episode?

iirc there was a thing where Blossom had a crush who appeared in a number of episodes and I think he bared a resemblance to a creative there but the internet, as it does, made it a much bigger deal than it actually was.

But then again I only watched like 2 episodes of the show and the whole thing I only really got secondhand from various articles/forum threads on the matter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

it's probably because i'm getting old but I watched this show over like a month in late 2020 and can't remember a drat thing about it

I don't know, all I've ever heard is that it's aggressively mediocre so it might be fitting you forgot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I disapprove of live-action Avatar in general but that's nice

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

I’m not going to pretend I have a lot of interest in Scoob! but, if the director on Twitter is to be believed, the animation had already been completed ”this past Friday” and they were just doing odds and ends.

Does the mostly completed product just sit on a server somewhere? Don’t entirely understand the decision-making here.

No one does! It's crazy. There's some bizarre stuff going on at WB/Discovery now where they're slashing shows & movies to save money because they took on debt in the merger.

As to why they're shelving finished products? Who can say. I'm sure some madman executive could explain the thought process, though I doubt it would make much sense.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If they cut a single dime from Primal there will be blood

Not if they cut from Primal's huge blood budget! :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

World Famous W posted:

now I want buzz lightyear coast to coast

Woody is dead, murdered! Potato Head, serve the first course!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought it already did get a full series. Am I crazy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

What if SA Goons had EMOTIONS?

ok, the imagination can only be stretched so far...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Fuckin glad I pirated all of Mao Mao and Infinity Train

I don't know if it was here or another thread but I agree that WBD is rapidly becoming the best unintentional argument for why piracy is good actually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh gently caress, I just realized Uzamaki might be a target for cancellation. It better not be.

I feel like that might be safe since it's technically only co-produced by AS (and therefore WB)... but gently caress if I know, the last few weeks have taught me that the labyrinthine inner workings of corporations, tax laws, and CEOs who love reality TV are far beyond the understanding of mere normies like me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

It is a not particularly rare corporate maneuver to purposefully gutshot a thing you do not like to prove you were right all along to get rid of it, even though had you not done so it would have been a good contributor to the company. You need to be right in your initial assessment, and when you have the power you can force it to be correct, even if as a whole all you've done is damage.

And that's easier than ever too, since I think HBO Max is just like Netflix, meaning they don't actually reveal any numbers for how many people are watching the show/ratings for it. So they can just say no one liked/watched [x] show. They could can some really popular thing and claim the online buzz was actually just an extremely vocal minority.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Okay this is my idiot question but why do companies agree to merge with other debt-ridden companies in the first place?

Aside from what Parakeet v. Phone said, these days media companies are just snapping up IPs left and right in corporate America's race to own literally all of culture. I'm sure if Discovery hadn't have grabbed WB, then someone between one of the other giants like Paramount or Disney would've been happy to do it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 23, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"if we don't get picked up by another distributor"

How the hell is a Looney Tunes movie supposed to be picked up elsewhere? Take it to Disney? It's a Looney Tunes movie, they're not gonna let other people distribute it!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nikumatic posted:

nah that was the rescuers but you had to pause it real quick

:yosnice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Wasn't one of the things that led to Green Lantern: The Animated Series getting canned was that stores wouldn't stock merch for it because they were still sitting on a ton of Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern merch they couldn't sell?

I'm not sure if that was stated but I don't doubt that it was a factor.

I heard somewhere that Ryan Reynolds GL was supposedly supposed to be the start of the DCEU and look at what a mess that's been for over a decade now. GL left a real string of bodies in its wake.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 31, 2022