Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Rankin-Bass Hobbit works pretty well. It's got the songs, some very good voices (John Huston as Gandalf is just a brilliant decision), sort of an "antique" look, etc.

Return of the King is... not as successful. Granted when I was a kid who had never read Tolkien it was still pretty mind-blowing, but they kinda try to make it a sequel to the Hobbit since they hadn't made Lord of the Rings, there aren't nearly as many songs in the material so they make up a bunch, it's a lot clunkier in general. Parts of it work (the aforementioned "Where There's a Whip, There's A Way") but it's goofy. (I particularly like the Eowyn/Witch King confrontation since there's really no disguising that it's a woman talking.)

Out of curiosity, why didn't Rankin-Bass do the other two Lord of the Rings books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I figure because the Bakshi film had already been made and they didn’t want to retread it. There was some fuckery with the license and for all I know they only had the one shot at wrapping things up.

Didn’t the Bakshi film reuse some songs from the Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie though or am I misremembering?

Also while I watched both Rankin-Bass films as a child I don’t remember seeing that Bakshi movie all the way through, how was it considering it was basically the first two books of the trilogy mashed together?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe not The Black Cauldron specifically but a proper adaption of the book series it was loosely based on might be interesting in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've heard good things about Cagliostro but how does it stack up as a Lupin movie in general? I'm aware of the mythos and characters but I don't think I've ever actually watched any Lupin material personally

Also if someone were to start watching the series for the first time, is there a recommended viewing order or does each anime series more or less stand on its own?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

My favorite thing about all three of the old Lupin series is, they may not always be the best animated TV show, but they're certainly the most TV show.

I can't think of a single other show that crams as many raw ideas into twenty minutes.

So in terms of actual shows, how many Lupin seasons have there been up to now? Also, is Lupin the longest running series (that's still running at least) in Japan (I know the original manga started sometime back in the 70's or so at least)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Two more questions regarding Lupin:

1: Are the current 5 seasons connected to one another beyond featuring the same characters (such as direct references, callbacks, internal continuity, etc) or can you pretty much jump in from wherever you like?

2: Is A Woman Called Fujiko Mine also connected with the main anime (like, is it a prequel or something)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are any of the movies canon to the series or are they largely their own thing?

Speaking of movies, aside from Castle of Cagliostro are there any other Lupin films you’d recommend?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Lupin, has there been any word yet as to whether they're planning on doing a Part 6 or some other related anime series at some point? I know there was a movie and/or special that came out last year at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Sonic Boom was really good though. My son recently finished the first season on Netflix so I caught a lot of episodes. Funny stuff, even if I'm not a fan of dumb Knuckles because I'm old. (despite the best lines being his)

The Sonic Boom cartoon was arguably the best thing to come out of that particular sub-series in my opinion (also Knuckles and Eggman are the best parts of the show). A pity it seems to be effectively dead now and likely will never see a third season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eggman/Robotnik is always the best part of any Sonic media.

Jim Carrey may not have done the physical resemblance at first, but the actual personality absolutely nailed it. Reminds me a bit of Dr Sivana in Shazam; sometimes you just need to do a full on mustache-twirling old school supervillain and it works.

Also I almost typed Drew Carey, and his Dr Robotnik is another thing to think about.

Indeed he is. The only exception I can think of is Sonic Underground as I felt Gary Chalk’s performance was a bit too much like a generic villain (though to be fair, nearly everything about that show was bad).

Related, I’ve always kind of been curious. Why exactly did they change Robotnik’s design for the three western cartoons as opposed to just sticking with the version from the Genesis games?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 21, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

But all the Buzz Lightyears in Toy Story 2 are alive prior to being played with so clearly the metaphysics of the series deserves closer study

I would say that's because they were based on a popular TV character in that universe and as such they all come pre-equipped with his personality and mannerisms but then again Woody was also based on a TV show and remembered nothing until he actually watched it for himself.

Speaking of which, was that Buzz Lightyear cartoon Disney made any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Bluth, whatever happened to that Dragon's Lair movie adaption he was thinking of doing a while back? And on the subject, has he done anything particularly significant lately?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pick posted:

The sexualization of the little girl is EXTREMELY creepy and the voice actress is using her Lisa Simpson voice (iirc it is the same lady).

Yeardley Smith basically only has one voice but yeah, that was her.

If I recall correctly, We’re Back was an (extremely) loose adaption of a children’s book by the same name but I think aside from the concept of dinosaurs returning and gaining the ability to talk the plot of the movie was 100% original.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I wonder what the original dialogue was in Japanese.

Speaking of which, did Speed Racer ever get subbed by anyone (be it officially or otherwise) and were any of the show's tropes such as the repetitive narration still present in the Japanese version?

Also for that matter, aside from everyone talking a mile a minute so they could match the lip flaps how was the American dub as an adaption (I think I only saw like an episode or two as a kid)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

From a brief foray of searching years ago, the dub of Speed Racer is mildly drier than the original Japanese but it was an old serial show so the repeating stuff is just how it was written.

Ultimately anyway you slice it this is a show where multiple two parters are Speed Racer defeating coup plots and terrorist groups by hitting them really hard with a car

Does the show still hold up? I was thinking I might finally check it out one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its, well, its a show from 1968. Its got fun episodes and lots of weird shifts since theres no overarching plot, but its still an archaic serial with some questionable attitudes and representation of non-Japanese people. Animation is powerfully 1968 so don't expect much and expect it to repeat constantly, to the point of occassionally having a minor villain speed killed off be alive in background shots

How’s the 1997 pseudo-remake then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I was talking about the Lupin TV series.

Speaking of which, have they said anything about the possibility of a sixth season at some point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

A thing I can't help but notice with the new Animaniacs, is that it sounds like Rob Paulson can't do the Yakko voice consistently anymore. Especially when it's a song, a lot of the singing doesn't sound like Yakko at all

Does his Pinky voice still sound about the same though?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ghibli really shouldn't have gotten into 3D if they couldn't make it look as good as their 2D films.

Also why the switch? I thought 2D animation was still alive and well in Japan (or is that mostly just for TV shows)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said, if Lola comes back for this I kind of hope she's more Looney Tunes Show Lola and less Space Jam Lola (or perhaps some kind of fusion of the two).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Space Jam 2, here’s a promo of sorts:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DBGKJV6E_QQ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s really good honestly, you got more anywhere?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently both Chip & Dale and Monsters Inc. are getting their own shows (the former has nothing to do with Rescue Rangers though):

https://deadline.com/2019/06/chip-n-dale-reboot-disney-plus-monsters-at-work-details-annecy-1202630873/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pick posted:

He implies he'll get around to eating him at some point but I also get the impression he just eats bugs to increase amount of bugs? Santa is not a bug.

That brings up a question actually, is Oogie the sack itself or is he some kind of weird hive mind of bugs?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t they have to replace the kid playing Arthur like three or so times during production due to puberty related issues? Also, why was said character called “Wart” in that movie?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

duz posted:

I still kinda want to see Gunn's original version of the live action Scooby Doo movie.

I hadn't heard of this, can you elaborate on what the original plan was?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ccs posted:

Only in recent incarnations. That's why the Zombie Island movie works, because it plays on the audience suspecting there's a trick behind what appears supernatural.

Though even before Zombie Island I’m pretty sure there were a few movies at least where the gang encounters actual supernatural beings

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Lupin, have they said anything about a sixth (or seventh if you count A Woman Called Fujiko Mine) anime yet? I know there’s usually a couple years between seasons at least.

Or if not, has another movie been announced at least?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/avatar-last-airbender-expanded-universe-nickelodeon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wait what's going on? I thought Netflix was doing a ATLA follow on and that the original creators got kicked off the project. Did they go back to Nickodeon and start a new project? How does thst work with the Netflix show?

Oh nevermind, it was love action and is still ongoing...the original creators did get kicked out or voluntarily left though.

The original creators left the project voluntarily if I remember right but I don’t recall exactly why.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm super confused, how can they be doing another live-action ATLA movie and have it turn out worse than the first one.

Also, Rugrats coming back? Bring back Peter Chung imo

The Netflix one is apparently a live action ATLA series that we currently know nothing about, what the creators are talking about is working on a separate animated film set in the same universe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What’s that picture from?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

The new Tom and Jerry movie came out. Jerry still an rear end in a top hat.

Most important question: do they talk and is it any better than the one from the 90’s?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I haven't seen the one from the 90s so I can't comment on that, but, no, it is not good.

Spoilers, I guess:

Every animal (that I can recall) is animated. Tom and Jerry themselves don't talk but the others can. Tom and Jerry speak in cartoony charades, which is probably the best gag in the movie.

Neither have I but it was apparently terrible (as is this one it would seem from looking up the plot description but the main duo staying silent this time is at least a step up).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Such highs and lows. Way-too-intense Rip Torn Zeus is amazing, but Hera as doting mother is lmao. Crazy cool Gerald Scarfe art design, godawful CGI on the hydra. Rad motown/R&B twist on the music, but I'm not so sure the Rocky/prizefighting reframe works. Hades is fantastic in concept and execution, but it's hard to watch him knowing it's James Woods. Etc

Yeah it’s a weird feeling, I like Woods’ performance as Hades in everything the character’s been in but I despise the actor as a person. The movie itself is ok for the most part though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Tangled: The Series was absolutely better than it had any right to be.

Also apparently it's not over yet. I think I heard that a new season got greenlit recently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Really? It ended on a pretty definitive note.

Not sure how reliable this is but here:

https://releasedate.me/rapunzels-tangled-adventure/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

For the record, it hasn’t. You think it has, but it gets crazy good towards the end of season 1 and just keeps building from there.

Is Before Ever After required viewing before starting the series or is that just the first handful of episodes combined into a movie?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Some screenshots from Space Jam 2 came out today. I just have one opinion: keep Lola hot, cowards

Screw that noise, Looney Tunes Show Lola is the only good Lola in my opinion.

Some screenshots from the new movie:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1367529226702888964

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wittgen posted:

I'm not pumped about CG looney toons and not hand drawn, but I'm looking forward to the movie. Good dumb fun is nice, and unlike MJ, Lebron has charisma and comic timing.

Oh? Has Lebron actually acted before?