Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
"Not Evil" is a great jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

The rear end is the tastiest part of the pig.

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/1147831710823919622?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Can confirm Redline is extremely rad

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just got a press release about this, looks pretty neat:

Some extreme Heavy Metal vibes here

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1362099496679800834?s=20

h e l l y e a h

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Having watched most of Season 1, I'm definitely in the camp that Disenchantment is mostly held back by the fact that it doesn't know what it wants to be, and there's not enough humor or plot to make it compelling enough to continue watching. Big ol' swing and a miss.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FoneBone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAIBlPVe9s

really like the art direction, nice departure for Pixar

I am deeply offended, this movie is far too italian

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DC Murderverse posted:

Even Atlantis, which had character design by Mike Mignola, who is a very distinct artist, still looked more like a Disney movie than Lilo.

To be technical Mignola didn't actually work on the film, the animators just took inspiration from his work.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

This isn’t a film but I’d just like to remark that the animated Harley Quinn series is a joy and has some of the best voice acting I’ve ever heard.

I really need to watch that. I did just start Close Enough which is incredible though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
"Creators overreact to people guessing twists on the internet" has happened before, but it's usually a season-to-season thing (like in Westworld IIRC)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, there was some big aftermath articles for GoT that revealed the showrunners didn't even have a basic clue of how to run a production - including not having a writer's room - they split up the scripts and worked separately until it's time to piece it together, letting the actors take the reign of their characters' writing "Because they didn't understand the characters". Now this is a big difference from going 'This is the part where Robin Williams goes off' and doesn't work when everyone is doing it.

A lot of people were justifiably angry that two completely idiotic men got to drive a popular series down for ten years while talented women and minorities got passed over.

"themes are for eighth grade book reports"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

I was watching the old Poochie episode of Simpsons the other night, just because that's a great loving episode and it gets to the heart of everything we're talking about, and God the old Simpsons animation was good. Like even when it wasn't technically good, the expressiveness of it was incredible

The first decade of the Simpsons had some ridiculously talented animators working on it. David Silverman, Rich Moore, Brad Bird...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So who's gonna break it to this person that Raya was also (mostly) created by a bunch of white dudes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

The basic framework of ....... chosen one... stops evil and unites world?

Oh yeah that’s a new fad

I'm going entirely by the trailers and the plot summary on Wikipedia, but Raya and ATLA do seem to share a bunch of distinct elements/plot points:

-World is split into a discrete number of tribes/nations with their own unique cultures and gimmicks
-the evil threatening the world can be stopped by the avatar/last dragon, who disappeared long ago and are the last of their kind
-the enemy is weak to water, which the avatar/last dragon learns to control
-Plot involves going to each of the tribes/nations, where the avatar/last dragon learn more about the world and gain abilities that can help them in their quest
-As they go from place to place, the party meets, befriends, and are occasionally joined by a variety of quirky individuals
-Near the end, an enemy from the beginning of the journey is, after an initial fuckup, made an ally and becomes part of the group

I obviously have no idea how this all plays out in the actual film, but there's very clearly much more in common between these two works than just the east asian culture-inspired aesthetic.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 27, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

teagone posted:

Social media is awful. But let's not forget the sort of person who nuked their account:

considering her last video was an hour-long discussion on the history of transphobia in media, I feel there's a slight chance that screenshot may have been taken out of context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've only seen a few of her every so often. Each one was more snooty and snobbish than the last as if she knew ALL about movies or something and is 100% an expert while also having a weird air of "total amateur whining and making poo poo assumptions".

Though I get that vibe from a lot of Channel Awesome people.

I mean, she does have a degree in film studies from NYU and an MFA from USC, so by most reasonable standards she is actually an expert. Personally I like her videos—she focuses a lot on film theory and how movies are made, and I enjoy all that kind of stuff (Same reason I like Dan Olson's videos). Obviously not for everyone, but most of the stuff she's done within the past 3-4 years is pretty solid.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Some neat stuff here:

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1377278244555161600?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

I dunno if this is still relevant but Ellis posted a video about her canceling from that Raya tweet. It’s very long, a bit self indulgent, but halfway through I thought “well, this is probably a pretty good response.” Then I checked twitter and Asian creators are not pleased with this. 😐 Seems she dug herself into a bigger hole when a simple 10 minute apology video would have been enough. Now people are piling on her about misrepresenting their tweets she says are misrepresenting her tweets. Sigh, the internet.

Gotta admit though, starting the video with a section about how twitter gamifies rage, while probably true, is not the best way to win people over because it posits their outrage was just the result of manipulation. This is more for her fanbase.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4&feature=youtu.be

Having watched the whole video, the way it comes across is that she's tired and broken from having a relative handful of mistakes across her entire thirteen-year career constantly weaponized against her. She admits she's hosed up in the past, tries to contextualize past mistakes, but is deeply angry at the people using bad faith criticism not just to attack her, but to attack her friends and collaborators like Jenny Nicholson and Sarah Z.

And, honestly, I get it—because the problem with saying "Well why doesn't she just apologize"* is that this incident will simply become another point in a lengthy, constantly curated list of mistakes used to justify harassing her the next time she makes a mistake, where it won't matter that she already apologized for it, just as none of the people harassing her care that she already apologized for all the other mistakes (Some of which stretch back over a full decade). So it's better to just lay everything down, say her piece, and gently caress off twitter forever. Which in the long run is probably the right call.

*not that she even has anything to apologize for with regard to the raya tweet imo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

There's really no words for how staggeringly self-absorbed and stupid that "Apology" video is, two hours to whine about cancel culture, misgendering a critic and how the problem is everyone is being too sensitive.

If you're going to apologize, make it short and sweet, none of this clapping and taking shots.

It's not an apology video though, more like a lengthy breakdown about having things like [CW] a "rape rap" video produced out of catharsis after having suffered sexual assault that was never supposed to see the light of day thrown back into her face about how it's evidence she's a bad person, a full dozen years after the fact.

I think she's tired, depressed, and angry (I'd argue justifiably so), and if it's self-absorbed, that's... well, sort of the point, as it's illustrative of the emotional toll over a dozen years of internet harassment from various fronts can take on a person.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

It’s kind of baffling to me how prominent creators aren’t seeing the similarities? They’re both literally titled “____ The Last ____”. But Ellis’ video has spawned a new bevy of tweets from prominent authors saying that they’re nothing alike, it couldn’t cross any reasonable person’s mind that the success of Avatar could have led to Raya getting greenlit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1382884182288924676

I dunno, I work in animation and I’m 99% sure Avatar would have been brought up as part of the Raya pitch. Everybody in animation wants to work on an Avatar or Avatar-esque project.

It's also reasonable that Ellis, as someone whose entire career is based off of media analysis and critique, would make connections or notice similarities between works that might not be immediately noticeable to others. And in the video she straight-up says that's not a bad thing!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

Yeah. In the above case though Xiran is also a media analysis person with special focus in East Asian influenced media. It’s possible that to her the difference between the South East Asian world of Raya is so different from the East Asian influence in Avatar that she can’t see how to people outside that demographic it’s seems so similar. “look it’s got Asian stuff and some nations with different magic and one of those Asian type dragons that are more flowy, it’s like Avatar.”

But I still think it IS similar to Avatar? The people making it were just smart enough to take from a different part of Asia so the similarities weren’t too apparent or could be chalked up to coincidence.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is that she's looking at different things—like, in the video, Ellis mentions elements like "questing to a series of lands to get new element-based powers" and "the presence of a Zuko-like character" being the specific things she noted as similarities between the two and other works targeted at a YA audience. These are things that have nothing to do with the setting itself, but because ATLA and Raya are both heavily inspired by Asian cultures and aesthetics, that's the connection that many people are going to latch onto and assume she was referring to.

Like... not to bring this into TLJ discourse (and this is just an example, I am not trying to relitigate TLJ here), but many of the people who liked TLJ liked it for bringing something new and different to Star Wars. But that wasn't the connection I made—what I saw was a series of scenes that felt like remakes of bits from ESB and RotJ, occasionally scrambled or recontextualized, and I ended up disappointed in the film because I wanted something new and didn't feel TLJ actually delivered. These are personal observations/opinions, and it's perfectly acceptable for people to disagree or not see the connections that other people are making. And sometimes, it can really require good faith dialogue and nuance to understand where people are coming from—two things that are practically impossible to achieve on Twitter.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fan made fake thing.

You would think that but apparently not!

quote:

Polygon reached out to Nickelodeon for clarification, and we have been told to expect a trailer for the new series and a formal announcement from the company on Monday, April 19.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Rick isn't conservative or (arguably) even old-fashioned—he's just one of those dudes that really loves the outdoors and simply isn't interested in technology. The bumper stickers on the family car are a pretty good indication of what their political leanings might be:

Anyway: Great jokes, fantastic animation, really good movie all around. Definitely worth watching.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fartington Butts posted:

When all of the "flaws" are flashed on the screen for the Mitchells.

It would have been great to see the movie in theaters, but I was also grateful I could instantly pause, go back, and laugh at all the background gags.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Data Graham posted:

That’s a definite consequence to the medium of the Netflix era, like the bojack gags that make fun of you for pausing so can catch them all.

eh I wouldn't say that, those kinds of jokes date back to the Simpsons and people watching the episodes on VHS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

I don't want theaters to return. I don't want to have to leave my house. I have to leave my house for work, and that's enough!!! Put everything up on streaming as soon as its released!!!

Counterpoint: Theaters are awesome, especially if you get a good audience. :colbert: One of my favorite movie memories is going to see Get Out in a majority-black audience, which included a few people yelling at Chris "Don't trust that white bitch!" good advice, and the entire theater breaking into cheers when Rod rescues Chris at the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Phylodox posted:

You going to start whining about how millennials killed the diamond industry, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeuVQEdt-w

The movie theater industry is nothing like the diamond industry, don't be ridiculous. Yeah, I get that not everyone wants to go to a theater, but the home viewing experience is (for better and for worse!) far different from seeing a film in theaters. If having to wait a few months to see a film on streaming is the price to keep theaters going, it's one I'm personally fine with paying - and that's coming from someone who literally lives an hour and a half from the nearest theater.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The_Doctor posted:

I really miss going to the cinema. When I'm there, I'm there for one thing only, and it's filling my entire field of view. When I'm home watching a movie, I'm constantly distracted by a hundred different things.

Yeah, exactly. Like even when I was watching MvtM, I was still checking my phone, switching over to Discord, etc. When I'm in a movie theater, my attention is on the movie, with the only potential distraction being from another audience member (which I personally don't usually have problems tuning out). And it's a great time! Like when I saw Rise of Skywalker, it was a garbage movie, but I still had a really fun time cackling and cracking jokes with my friends alongside me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

teagone posted:

The simple solution would be to turn off your phone/laptop/tablet until the movie is over. Or put them in a different room. Lmao.

My current setup is a laptop hooked up to a cheap 36" TV running off a mobile hotspot from my phone, so suffice it to say that's not really a practical solution :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

It's honestly amazing how bad Bay and Snyder to a lesser extent is at making it easy to flow to the eye, stuff that look great in stills are muddling in action. I remember having seen Bayformers, so much blur, then comparing to Miller's Fury Road with all kinds of car stunts, that massive sand storm, and the chain fight, all those fight scenes were both amazing and extremely easy to follow.

A lot of it has to do with how the action is shot and edited. Lindsay Ellis actually has a video on Bay's work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-6M7IbNSI

The tl;dr is that, among other things, the focus of the action in Bay's movies move around all over the place, and will jump across the screen during cuts. This is inherently exhausting and confusing, as it makes it harder to keep track of the action—especially when things are moving fast and there's lots of cuts (As Bay loves to do). Action in Fury Road, for instance, is all focused around the center of the screen, ensuring that your eyes will always be where George Miller wants them to be. (Miller was also a big fan of overcranking and undercranking the framerate to make certain actions seem faster and slower, again with the aim towards making things as clear to the audience as possible). (Fury Road is a very, very well-made film)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
imagine trying to give a sympathetic backstory to Cruella de Vil of all characters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fun fact, this specific scene of cartoons watching a cartoon was a major inspiration for a young Matt Groening, and not only pushed him to get into animation but also influenced his creation of The Simpsons and the show-within-a-show Itchy and Scratchy in particular.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

Please tell me your arcane secrets.

I want to make some gifs for Wizards and maybe something for Over the Garden Wall!

I always just used gifcam. Pretty straightforward and easy to use!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Coming in to confirm Luca is really good! Just an absolutely gorgeous film.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

I didn’t expect the replies to this to be so vitriolic. I guess Indie Wire readers have really turned on Miranda.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1420731584681062403

ah, the latest episode of "everyone I don't like is CIA"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A love letter to Cuba, not set in Cuba, and not featuring people who've actually ever seen Cuba for over half a century

granted I'm just skimming the wikipedia article but this guy seems to have some firsthand experience

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Boxman posted:

This is the part where I'm obligated to re-up my recommendation for Redline, which is sort of like if someone did a lot of cocaine, watched Speed Racer, then decided to remake it with incredibly lush animation, an absolutely bangin' soundtrack, and somehow less of a plot or characters.

can confirm Redline is extremely rad

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

I bet there's one guy with a really crappy bridge he drew and he's mad someone is making him learn math.

As an aside, the guy who designed the main building at my art school faked his degree

now that's what I call "fake it 'till you make it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Roth posted:

Sounds like she owned

why