Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Macaluso posted:

There's one other thing I want to bring up. There was some discourse when the trailers for this movie were first shown about how black characters always get transformed into other creatures, and that this is doing that again. I'm a white dude so I'm curious how black people feel about Joe not only ending up as a soul pretty early on, but eventually ends up in a cat while Tina Fey ends up in Joe's body for a large percentage of the movie. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me and some of the most emotional moments in the movie happens there, but I'm a white guy and I'm going to view those things in a different light

I generally liked the movie, but I have to admit that part didn't really sit well with me and it felt like they could've avoided it somewhat by recasting Tina Fey's character. Joe grows as a person only after the middle-aged white woman speaks on his behalf, her actions reminding him about the good things in life he'd forgotten about. The movie intends to show that they're both learning from each other, but I feel it focused a bit too much on Fey's character on the second act, making Joe a sidekick on the movie he's supposed to be starring in. I think Fey had an okay performance, but she never quite owns the character and they could've safely casted a bipoc person instead.

It's better than Onward, at least. Movie looks great and the soundtrack is probably one of the best Pixar soundtracks I've heard in some time. Also Tina Fey earned that guest writing credit for that jab at the basketball team, no way in hell she didn't write that one.

E: the ending was a bit of a cop out, I'd bet they didn't want to commit to having the main character die after the miserable hell of a year we've all had.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but based on this post, and also the fact that they cast TINA FEY of all people, who has a kind of terrible track record of weird racial tone-deafness (which she's acknowledged, but then kind of repeatedly hosed up over and over again), makes me not want to see it. I say this as someone who is actually a hardcore Tina Fey fan, I love her to pieces but she has a particular blind spot about race in her comedy.

Honestly I got the impression that she was cast specifically for the middle aged white woman voice joke, she's got that Karen voice that was probably on the casting sheet. They probably would've picked Amy Poehler if she hadn't done Inside Out already. She got a guest writing credit, but it's more likely she wrote a few of the flashback gags, they're very 30 Rockish in style. I doubt she had a hand on the whole cat swap thing.

That said yeah the cat thing is godawful and it's pretty discouraging to see happen on an otherwise okay movie

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Aw, the Iwata credit was a really nice detail.

Would've been nice if they'd done the same for Kirkhope, mind