Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Spies in Disguise reminds me of Batman in the sense that while Walter is admirable in that he has a 'no killing' rule, some of the non-lethal tech he develops is super hosed up, like the pen that liquifies your bones. And for a significant part of the story, that power is controlled by a regular run of the mill pigeon.

That part where they interrogated the boneless fat guy was amazingly animated however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Darth TNT posted:

Yes this. You expect him to get up or show up later, but nope he dead. Is he the first spider man death on screen?

Other stuff I loved as I slowly process this movie:
- Giant black hole kingpin. It helps them play around with how big and/or menacing or normal he really is.
- tubby/failure/ realistic Peter's arc
- Gwanda, a perfect setup for Gwen.
- Doc Ocks tentacles. The way they moved and bulged making them seem air powered or something. It made them feel more real somehow.
- Somewhat connected, another Spider-Man sort of dies and it's handled in a perfect manner considering the circumstances.

I'd say the worst part is the Prowler reveal, why exactly did he need to take off his mask? Sure it was his home but, he was searching his home minutes before.
The banter was perfect.
And like I said, the style somehow allowed so many other styles to coexist and allowed all of them to somehow pop and fit in.

Really a grown up animated movie.

I liked the Kingpin trying to correct his biggest mistake, but doubling down at the worst possible second and ruining not only that version of himself, but the lives of every Wilson Fisk in the multiverse. Every variant of his family has now directly witnessed him trying to kill Spiderman right in front of them, even the version of him that are actually good people will be hit by that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just put the spoiler tag up because someone had only just got around to watching it, so there may be others lurking who haven't seen it yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On reflection with Spies in Disguise I feel it's point would have been stronger if the villain had been a civilian that got caught in one of Will Smith's explosions, rather than an embittered injured goon. Someone who wasn't in the circle of violence until Will put him there. I actually thought that that was where they were going in the first place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, the main inversion was that Dexter's Lab was good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also find Facilier interesting because every voodoo thing in TV and movies makes the same mistake of evoking the wrong Loa - they always evoke Baron Samedi as the villain/guy who the people look like, and they commonly are making zombies, when Samedi is the complete opposite of that. He's a psychopomp who makes sure the dead STAY dead, all these wannabes that try to ape his design would just piss him off because they are interrupting the rest of his charges. He'd probably be more likely to be on the hero's side (as long as he gets to play with the tosser who's making him look bad, who would be severely punished by him), they'd just need to offer a cigar and rum and he'd be on board.

I got curious and looked up the Loa a couple of years ago. There's also a neat thing with Princess and the Frog in Lottie, aka Charlotte - she is the only important white character and she is named after the loa who represents the idea of the caucasian aristocrat, although the loa Lady Charlotte is 100% french.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I would genuinely like to see a movie that explores the actual Voodoo mythology though. Like the loa could have a similar role to the Greek Gods in The Odyssey where they are constantly interacting with one another and trying their own conflicting agendas and bickering while doing their actual jobs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the bit where wolf asks about Starfox's metal legs and he shows him that he just has normal legs by dropping his trousers, so a guard walks by and gets the wrong idea. Thought that was funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked little things like Sonic's shoes being a torn up hodgepodge of random sneakers poorly duct taped together. Also Robotnik seems like he's embarking on the same arc as Lex Luthor from Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman in the 90s. Starting off as a highly respected individual having to try to play with others and work as a team, or at least look like a functional adult. Then in Superman Lex dies and after he is reborn due to his staff being that loyal, he just gives up all pretense as Lex Luthor is now legally dead and has no reason to hide that he's a total lunatic. Seems Robotnik in any future works is going to go Full Batshit Crazy with bonkers animal robots and trying to build ludicrous theme parks and poo poo, just like Lex shaving his head and going full comic book madness, like trying to trick an amnesiac Lois Lane into marrying him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked Robotnik's anecdote with The last person ever to punch him in the face spending a year of his life eating through a tube because Robotnik hit back with his technology and ruined him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A giant ring opens above the White House, tons of mechs come flying out piloted by Echidnas (robots piloted by animals, duh) that have allied themselves with Robotnik. Then finally, as the Egg Carrier comes looming forth, this music plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhX7XKgkDU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not surprising, Wily wants world domination, a relatively sensible goal. Eggman's always had ridiculous bullshit that he tries to do like awakening lovecraftian monsters to use their power to build a murderous theme park to kill a magic hedgehog. Wily wants something he can have and rule over, Eggman wants something dead. Wily's evil is constructive and in some ways occasionally subtle (like that one game where he frames Dr Light for building the evil robots) Eggman is purely destructive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Robotnik's also interesting because of his anecdote. His initial outburst was a result of being beaten up as a child and reacting very strongly. He always claims to not need anybody, but clearly loves Agent Stone as a colleague and even has an analog for him on the Mushroom Planet as a coping mechanism, implying that he misses him. He's probably going to return to Earth and be really happy to see the real Stone again after years of taking him for granted, like he never realised how much he actually needed other people until they were no longer around.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Amusingly in my showing the thing that got the biggest audience reaction was Robotnik shaving his head with a sharp rock, the whole audience audibly winced at that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hear me out - it's Big the Cat, still John St John, but he's doing the Duke Nukem voice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The whole thing kind of reminded me of Norse mythology to be honest. Sonic ended up in Midgard after fleeing Alfheim, and Robotnik ended up in what he will make into Jotunheim.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the primary conflict at the start is the daughter being pissed at the dad for loving up her goodbye present because of his technophobia. Doesn't sound like the dad's supposed to be in the right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just watched Smallfoot. I liked the double meanings in "Let it Lie" and "The stones protect us (not just the stones of the robe, but also the complicated series of stone machinery making the steam)"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Covid-19 be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfG2FwkVkM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"What were your top-5 movies of 2020?"
"Well, duh, the 5 movies that came out in 2020..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that some episodes of Mao Mao don't go how you'd expect or have a fun twist, like the thumb wrestling tournament where it's revealed that Mao Mao is just a normal cat who only has fingers because of his gloves, without them he just has paws with little nubs where a thumb would be or the cooking competition where it's the serious Mao Mao being the artistic one and the sensitive Badgerclops being the scientist when you'd expect it to be the reverse due to their personalities.

I also like that the villains make full use of the Power of Friendship. They aren't embarrassed by their reliance on each other, they care for each other as much as the heroes, and unabashedly love the mouse's mother's cooking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW has Mao Mao been cancelled or is it still going? It's last episode was in December. It just seems to be releasing very sparsely.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rewatching Green Eggs and Ham and while the ending is well crafted episode 7 kind of stretches things with regards to how the reveals play out - (ending spoilers) The radio broadcast that Guilt tripped Guy can be explained as purely down to Sam's luck, sure, but he had no idea Guy would actually come back, so for Snerz to receive the update call, which are established to be coming from Sam later on, is a bit too much of a stretch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Watched Osmosis Jones for the first time yesterday, because my partner (who'd also never seen it) had an impulse to watch it.

That certainly felt like a movie responsible for the death of a major studio's animation division. What confused me most was trying to figure out who the intended target audience was. Buddy cop movie going on in the animated side, with a corrupt mayor (voiced by Shatner) B-plot. And Bill Murray schlubbing around in the live-action side, embarrassing his daughter and (sort of?) learning about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Cameos from Kid Rock and Joe C., Laurence Fishburne as the villain, Chris Elliott drifting around in a weird wig. David Hyde Pierce in a lead role. And all of it directed by the Farrelly brothers.

I never saw the movie, but I enjoyed the TV Show spinoff Ozzie and Drix because it was more consistent in tone and Hector was a much more likeable setting than Frank.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the subplot of the Giraffe-troll trying to find others like him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's why I like The Kid who would be King so much, it keeps all the fantasy poo poo and has a great sense of humour, like summoning the Lady of the Lake in a bathtub, or Excalibur being stuck in a piece of Rebar at a construction site.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always felt that Bartok the Magnificent was a better movie than Anastasia. I got them in a box set, which is the only reason I saw Bartok. Same as Cinderella 3, got it in a box set with the original movie, hilariously Cinderella 2 was not present. Disney are pretending Cinderella 2 never happened but are fine with Cinderella 3. That's of course because Cinderella 3 owns.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the sequence where everyone is (climax spoiler)juggling the main villain, who is unconscious at the time, in a crazy chase through a series of minecarts because they all want to turn him in for the reward money for their own reasons. That was a really fun and energetic sequence

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

The film definitely has issues if you try to read everything as related to one real-world human prejudice or another. Like, a valid reading along those lines is that it implies victims of racism deserved it at some point because they held significant power over those being racist, to the point of it being an existential threat - and I'm pretty sure that isn't true. (Granted, it also notes how untrue the in-universe prejudice is in the context of its modern era - something detractors tend to gloss over.)

There are some bits that are weird in hindsight though - where would those kids have even got a muzzle? It doesn't seem like they'd be sold in department stores given they'd probably be reserved for law enforcement or psychotic patients.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Barudak posted:

Ok watched all the kung fu panda films, what the heck changed between 2 and 3. Its the same director, in theory, but 2 is a massively better use of its cast, more fights, props in fights, more kung fu storytelling, fights arent just squashes. Seriously, what the hell, that is an absurd drop in quality across the board between films.

I thought 3 had some interesting ideas like the interplay between Po's dads and the fact that the main villain's chains were timed to his background music were both fun. It was overall less memorable though. Also the Jade Zombies were decently creepy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think a good summary is this - the joke fight with a Radish in 2 has more interesting choreography and camera work than the Panda Village Siege in 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part of that is that the big instigating moment is him destroying part of the temple to show off, but a much worse story did that aspect better - Xiaolin Chronicles opens with the same gambit, but the villains go out to destroy the entire temple, not just one building, leaving the heroes homeless, and the destruction is directly caused partially by the heroes fighting back and being thrown through walls, so it's less "a villain showing off by beating up a statue" and more "the heroes and villains are fighting so hard it's literally earth-shattering" which is far more impressive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought there were some dramatic moments that were kind of interesting like when Po's adoptive dad is comforting his bio-dad after Po finds out he lied to him and he's just like "Your sons mad at you, huh? I've been there." "But, I lied to him!" "I lied to Po for 20 years, you'll be fine."

I also liked Po's side of that where he builds the training dummy after giving up on the chi thing and basically stonewalls Tigress because he's too focused on how much poo poo he's going to be in due to feeling unprepared.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll always have trouble with that one gag in Kung Fu Panda 2 when Shifu's talking about enlightenment through suffering and he claims that Po arriving was the worst day of his life. Really? Driving a tiger cub criminally insane through being the worlds worst teacher didn't rank higher? He's just lucky that Po was stable enough due to his father's influence that Shifu couldn't gently caress him up like he did Tigress and Tai Lung

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like moments of Iain McShane's performance, like the bewildered whisper on "But...but you're a panda.. he's a panda!?" I just like that he just kind of tosses the second line quietly off to Shifu really rapidly like he's expecting some kind of clarification from him. It's kind of like when someone's trying to speak after running really hard where they can only get their words out in short bursts on the exhales. It's like he can't decide whether this is really happening or whether Po and Shifu are gaslighting him for a laugh.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 18, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also love the wolf in the second movie, where he just has so many reactions that are completely purely canine, like when calling out Shen for loving up the timing on the Year of the Peacock he's nervously licking his face like a dog would. Also his reactions to fighting Po, like during their initial fight where he's like "Wow, your so soft! It's like punching a fluffy cloud!" and when describing him to Shen just "He fought like a demon, powerful and wild, but kinda... plush... and cuddly..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Which is crazy because he was awesome. "Let's see... take responsibility for my own life, or blame you? DINGDINGDING! 'BLAME YOU' WINS HANDS DOWN!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the scene where he swaps his juice box with the orphanage manager's coffee as a child. That was great. (Spoilered because it reveals something about the villain that's kind of well hidden)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah it's really easy to see why they didn't go with the "real" story, and it's not like that stuff is all 100% consistent anyway.

Lindsay Ellis did a good analysis of it, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KznZcK7ksf4

I agree that the tone is really inconsistent and the main character is super dull. (Basically the same problem Superman often has, which they obviously also borrowed really heavily from.) And interestingly, apparently it was made as sort of an obligation to support the team's real passion project at the time which was... Treasure Planet.

Bless my soul, Lindsay's on a roll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I’ll never watch Spies in Disguise but I’ve seen enough commercials to know that there is some sort of tearful hug between Will Smith bird and Peter Parker and some other pigeons and then Will Smith bird lays an egg so I have to ask is this addressed at any point why he’s laying an egg

Or was it a poop joke

That's actually foreshadowing believe it or not - The reason the initial antidotes fail is that the kid assumes it's a male bird so the potion is put together wrong - the egg part makes him realise that it's specifically his female pidgeon who's DNA Will Smith's has turned into so he's able to make the right antidote after that. So yes, Will doesn't turn into the pidgeon version of Will Smith, he turns into a specific, female pidgeon who was established prior. He just happened to be ovulating I guess.