Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wish there was a word for the feeling you get when you're watching something bad or mediocre and they make a reference to a better movie or tv show and you think "wow, I really wish I was watching that much better thing instead".

Showdenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Trick question, cats have no souls

As the moment approached I 100% thought the joke was going to be a smash cut to an empty space on the former-people-mover.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Was the second live action Looney Tunes movie Back In Action any better?

back in action owns

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

It was also very clearly being put together at a time when Game of Thrones was a whole lot more beloved than it is now.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Luca was a Ghibli-rear end Pixar movie and probably my favorite since Coco.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

god drat i forgot how much the mech design in escaflowne whips rear end

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Sky High is a better-than-it-ought-to-be kinda flick, and has EXTREME “pilot that never went to series” energy.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

it is loving embarrassing how much better that looks visually than What If?, a show from a company that literally exists because animation

but the cinematics and animation stuff has been the only thing league produces that i continue to pay attention to in the slightest so it's not that surprising either

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to post in this thread that Surface Pressure was my favorite song because it was basically just a Steven Universe song in both style and content.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

But girls just love creepy old guys.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Well he needs to stop complaining and get back to mowing my lawn.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Steven Universe Movie is really the standard of what I want in terms of animated musicals.

The absolutely perfect way they blended a classical musical structure to a mid-90s theatrical anime movie is still impressive as hell. And now I'm going to spend the next hour re-watching all the songs.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd call it a bad movie with some good jokes, but it had the potential to be a good movie and that's just what makes even more disappointing.

I laughed pretty hard at the red and blue 3-D news reporter shoving the microphone directly at the camera.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

nah that was the rescuers but you had to pause it real quick

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

wow even for a disney remake it is astonishing how ill-conceived pinocchio is

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

you are in for a goddamn treat

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

an egg posted:

i understand everyone's problem with cgi mario's tiny pig eyes now i have admired the blazing gaze of bob hoskins

i am so happy for you rn we only get to take this journey once

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Slaps, would love a fully animated Beetlejuice the Musical movie.

I've personally contended for a while that if they did the Movie -> Musical -> Musical Movie pipeline with Beetlejuice that animation would be the perfect way forward with it. But I think that about basically everything.

Had no idea they were working on another animatic, they also did one for Rooftop / Say My Name a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqYKZ0q1Ac

God I cannot overstate how much I love this musical.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

he plays beetlejuice in a teen titans go episode and it's a pretty great combination of his take and keaton's

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I looked up the live action, and I guess it’s got a LOT of fans judging by this long applause at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ARx6falvzY

It does; that was also first opening night Post-COVID so it was packed with exactly those kinds of fans who are going to pop off.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i love the beej musical because a.) it adds another reinterpretation to this stupid, wonderful world alongside the movie and the animated series and they're all different and fun in their own ways and b.) while i don't think any of the songs are TOP TIER BROADWAY BANGERS i also don't think there are any outright bad numbers and even the weaker ones are fun and listenable, so it's a pretty consistent show. is girl scout an amazing song? no. is it a girl scout singing about how the tiniest thing in the world will give her an actual heart attack and murder her as she skips on the way to maitland manor and is that hilarious to me? yes

if you want to see just how wrong it COULD have gone, check out the addams family musical. yikes.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

The Black Cauldron: lmao what is this "we have Tolkien at home" poo poo

I genuinely can't believe that they hosed Prydain up so badly and at such massive shame to the animation company that Disney is producing a Willow series and a Percy Jackson series before they even consider going back to Lloyd Alexander again.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Patrick McHale

poo poo, I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

On a somewhat related topic I'm finally watching the DuckTales reboot, and while the first season was a little rough around the edges (the acting wasn't great and the stories felt kind of tedious), the second season is giving me some full-on protracted belly laughs. Like, the writing is firing on all cylinders now, i.e. the nephews' characterizations are getting some well-defined edges, but even more importantly the animation is getting outstanding. There's facial contortions going on that I had never thought possible with Disney Ducks, and whenever Glomgold shows up I start giggling uncontrollably at everything he does.

(I can tell the writers/showrunners are big MLP:FiM fans because of all the injokes/references, but also because the comedy style is right along the same lines, both visually and otherwise.)

The only thing I'm not real sold on is Launchpad being so much dumber now than he used to be. Like, he was always dumb, but not implausibly so.

DuckTales starts out solid, gets great, becomes utterly fantastic. RIP in peace so hard to that fuckin' gem of a show. And thank god that kids cartoons still get merchandise so that I can always have Glomgold lording over me up on shelf above my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpn8JFO1ZM

I had to pause that from laughing too hard at the gag at 0:46 the first time I saw it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

It's an absolute crime that this creative team isn't the one making the new Darkwing spinning off of their efforts in Ducktales.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

adult animation fans are profoundly insecure and defensive. constant fight response to any criticism from any source, it's bad. Breaking Bad fans don't have this problem.

man i wish you had picked literally any other example because breaking bad fans have exactly this problem

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

At least it’s not Scooby Apocalypse.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

And stop claiming that what the chisel creates isn’t art.

It’s not, hth.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

get the british museum’s rear end, pokémon company

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Also the lower back tattoos are simply there to make the cars more fuckable.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Bleck posted:

Turtles do not have teeth, they have beaks.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I like Owl House a lot, but I vibed with Amphibia more. Amphibia FEELS much more "jokey slice of life" in the beginning but it's very much a "getting to know Springfield" kind of thing to introduce all the townfolks who grow on you throughout the series. I dearly wish that Owl House actually got the full third season that Amphibia did though.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

It’s an Illumination joint and all, but hearing that they couldn’t resist the lure of jukebox music cues in a franchise with over three decades of music to pull from is pretty disappointing!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

He is. You know why.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

“First good video game adaptation” is the “first gay Disney character” discourse but for video gaymes

as noted the first video game adaptation that was nailed was super Mario bros in 1993

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

what they don't tell you is that yoshi’s island is really a peninsula

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

King Boo should be voiced by Alex Brightman

:hmmyes:

Adbot