Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1230893144436281344?s=20 well this also partly explains why Buck looks so off.

JUST USE A REAL DOG FOR NON-ACTION SCENES!

Wasn't it in this thread it was mentioned that the children in The Polar Express were mocapped by adults walking on their knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm p sure the only people interested in becoming animators who aren't into anime are boomer brained millennial nazis who aspire to be clones of John K

Also, since when the hell is 'characters with basic personality traits instead of personalities' something exclusive to anime

It says something when 80% of the time internet people mysteriously have a lot of complaints about modern creative work (especially vague ones like too anime or too Tumblr) the creative team involves women, gays, or both. It's almost as if there's a motivation to be against certain influences being too prominent!

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 24, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

plus an inherent belief that anything with that artstyle is inherently woke soyboi cuck blah blah blah

I blame John K for starting this.

Edit: It says a lot that these people are also the sort of person who considers John K someone worth listening too.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ungulateman posted:

she-ra? you mean the lesbian reylo show?

I know this was probably intended as insulting but you make the show sound incredible tbh. More problematic gay faves for everyone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly I don't think you're even wrong about the #ChrisPrattisOver party being mostly motivated because he's an ultra normie jock who plays characters people don't like. He's probably incidentally done messed up stuff but so has everyone in Hollywood at this point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

A Sometimes Food posted:

gently caress off with this whataboutism.

Every criticism of China doesn't need to be paired with "yeah but the west is bad too". Unless the Chinese government is actively forcing you to post in which case continue on I guess.

It's funny how leftist white guilt is so strong that they accidentally become tankies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

Why all the making GBS threads on hazbin hotel? It’s gonna get worse now she got picked up by A24 because other indie creators who don’t find success love turning on the ones who do, it’s jealousy *mic drop*

You just know that art students are fuming that they're not the ones who got paid for such concepts like The Sex Spider, and I mean that with no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

Does anyone remember why Hazbin Hotel was painted as problematic at one point? I forget the details.

To the shock of absolutely no one the creator was a very long mainstay at the Tumblr art community and thus has years worth of inter e-creator drama that no one should care about. (The actually troubling call outs about harassment at the studio were about another animator who doesn't work on it anymore?)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...is it just me or does that open letter feel like it's trying to be as vague as possible about what they disagreed on?

like, it's entirely possible that they're NDA'd and can't talk about it, but i can't help but wonder if we're being manipulated here a little.

I mean is there any reason to think Mike and Bryan are suddenly super chuds and that's what they refused to budge on, other than sheer cynicism. Think what you will about Korra, but it's not a misunderstanding of the original series.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Posting twitter hot takes is cheating.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FunkyAl posted:

It's dumb to make the same thing over and over again.

I agree that an ATLA Netflix series was always an unwanted thing for a lot of reasons, the recent news just tips expectations to "catastrophic" instead of just mediocre and forgotten in a month.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

He even said that he got permission from the lesbian who made the podcast to promote it by saying the name of the podcast

I mean come on

It's 2020 gay people are problematic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Even "a male staff member said the d slur in reference to a fellow staff members podcast" feels kinda intentionally misleading, the podcast is literally named Desperate Housedykes.

edit: I don't mean to be rude but it looks like you fell for twitter drama hook line and sinker.

mycot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 27, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I believe that the people angry are genuine and not bad faith, I just think they're dumb.

Knowing the internet nobody will remember this in two weeks because it's so flimsy under even the slightest investigation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

~Coxy posted:

No different a concept to Christmas Cake/Pudding though...

I don't know what a christmas pud is and I refuse to learn.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Loving what I see here. Hope the full thing ends up being good.

Also why is it that black characters so often specifically get electricity powers lol. I mean electricity powers are always cool as hell and fun to watch in animation, but what is that about

I remember someone going into this and the conclusion was that there are basically two characters who are the source for this (Black Lightning and Storm) and most of the early examples are ripoffs of those two (e.g. Black Vulcan). Then I guess it spiraled out of control.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

They said creative differences, which fans interpreted as “the Netflix show diverges massively”

The reason why people are so down on it is because the statement they released basically says "yes leaving means we just wasted the past few years of our lives but it's just not worth it", which is honest but yikes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Kristoff's screentime is not nearly as bad or distracting as whatever the hell was going on with the four spirits thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

Guy achieves goal and realizes it's not really his passion... or something.

I haven't seen Soul but "big sentimental goals are actually not that satisfying" is kind of the moral of Up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acebuckeye13 posted:

*not that she even has anything to apologize for with regard to the raya tweet imo

Yeah that's what annoys me most about the whole thing; Raya IS derivative of Atla.

I swear Disney sets up these situations on purpose, like how it was impossible to be negative about Captain Marvel the year it came out without looking like one of those insane people who think Brie Larson should smile more

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 16, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

there is 0% chance that Bryke had any intention of having Aang kill the emperor

In the leak of an extremely early series outline that notoriously had Iroh turn out to be the real final boss the energybending/Ozai lives ending is pretty much exactly the same.

edit: I feel like the ATLA ending has aged well because it's kind of the diametric opposite of the Game of Thrones ending; it's thematically appropriate even if it's not the most foreshadowed or lore appropriate. The GOT ending is technically foreshadowed and predictable but feels awful.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 17, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

There are 7 sequels lmao

So this is basically the cgi animation era's equivalent of Land Before Time sequels, right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Medenmath posted:

There are ten million stories out there about cute childhood crushes between a girl and a boy and no one complains about those.

I agree a movie about a relationship doesn't have to be sexual but uh CMBYK is extremely sexual, don't be dense.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess it just seems so weird to have "old fashioned dad who fights to their daughter to the point the family doesn't own a single photo of them happy together with the indication that if she leaves she may never return at all" and "the daughter is openly gay" then have those two things seem to not interact at all.

Like old fashioned dad only drove his daughter to hate him so much she never wants to see him again but for totally unrelated reasons. It just seems weird the way they did it.

Weren't you the one complaining earlier about people criticizing something when it doesn't do the plot that's "supposed" to happen?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Also while I understand being cynical at diversity in films rn, it's weird as hell to act like being gay is a shoe to drop, man. People are just gay sometimes.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 2, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like that post about how a modern day Austin Powers would have been frozen in the 90s is relevant to this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/skullvolver/status/1407773658664345602

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

flashy_mcflash posted:

My daughter loves all those animal sidekicks in Encanto from even the short glimpse of them. Goddamn you Mouse, you done did it again. More toys to buy that'll end up in the corner with Pua and the chicken from Moana.

Hey at least you'll get a capybara out of it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't tell if you're serious or if this is some "Captain Underpants is racist for making fun of Dr. Poopypants's name" bit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

hiddenriverninja posted:

What's wrong with it?

R**skin is a slur for Native Americans (hence a very racist song in Peter Pan), but red = anger is also a thing that exists outside of that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Vegetable posted:

It's pretty bullshit that Asian Americans/Asian Canadians can't seem to make a movie about Asian people without some folks, innocuously or otherwise, mentioning "...but China?"

The fake concern last page about "Turning Red" sounding too China-related, the half-baked cynicism this page about Asian American films being part of Disney's China ploy. You're part of the problem if you can't look at an Asian American work and shut up about China for a second.

It's Asian Canadian but tbh that makes it even more ridiculous. It's one thing it was an entirely white production but...asian artists exist independently of the Disney money machine ?

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 15, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

sexpig by night posted:

LeBron's a more charismatic actor than Jordan, though that bar's nearly embedded in the ground to clear, but I have no idea why they thought they needed to make this into Ready Player One.

Someone rich and powerful out there desperately wants the idea of an "internet movie" to work, this is like attempt #3 (the Wreck It Ralph sequel, the Emoji Movie).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ishikabibble posted:

nah absolutely Riot too

It's amazing how fast the positive reception of Arcane wiped away the years of bad blood building up against Riot for having a toxic work culture and just a ton of skeevy employees.

I really don't want to make this a pissing contest but the "sexually harrassing someone into suicide" is Blizzard only.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
A cuphead series does kinda feel like a mistake now that it's real. It is a generic cartoon, by design. Apparently cuphead is wildly popular with the zoomers though, so who knows.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like all Frozen 2 needed to do to hit the mark was let the city actually be destroyed (and am sure that was the original written ending) but no way that flies in a Disney film.

The thing is that it did happen in a Disney film. It's literally the ending to Thor 3. The entire movie is Thor 3 but with cop outs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Aces High posted:

It certainly says something that everyone else involved in Avatar beyond Mike and Bryan went on to more impressive projects, Joaquim Dos Santos went on to partner with Lauren Montgomery for Voltron, Aaron Ehasz made The Dragon Prince. Perhaps that was because they went on to create other things, whereas Mike and Bryan just keep on keeping on with Avatar, with diminishing returns

I would not put Voltron or TDP as more successful than Avatar by any metric tbh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's taking all of my willpower to not drop the Apple of Discord that says "Steven Unvierse ending"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Robindaybird posted:

Voltron definitely was huge, but I think a mix of how loving toxic the fandom was, the massive mishandling of "Shiro's our gay character (We introduced and kill his ex-boyfriend off in the same episode and kept it ambiguous that they were actually dating)", and some storytelling missteps in the last season killed off a lot of the interest once the series wrapped.

For the uninitiated, all of these things are interconnected. The series ended in a specific configuration of relationships that successfully pissed off literally everyone.

Shiro marries a random man. The rival goes all in with the female lead, who dies. The main character stays volcel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

readingatwork posted:

Are people online actually mad that the dog isn’t in Velma? Because I’m reasonably certain he’ll get written in at some point.

Also that’s like, the least of the show’s issues.

It's not that the dog would make or break the show's writing it's just that it comes off as so...insecure? Like a superhero movie that only ever refers to the hero as THE VIGILANTE and doesn't have them in the costume until the credits, if the writer's are ashamed to be associated with a talking dog it doesn't spell good things for a Scooby Doo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Frozen 2 is the only time I felt like the confused Mr. Krabs meme in the theater. The other time is the last Star Wars movie. There is something worrying going on in the Disney writing room.