Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Liking Soul so far, the design for the Jerries are really fun and creative.

First movie I see with my new soundbar and it’s a good one for it. Soundtrack is terrific!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Having seen Soul fully now, I will say I like it quite a bit! I do wonder how well children will like it tho.

One gripe I had with it, which is a very shallow one to be fair:

The design of the cat wasn't very good IMO. It reminded me too much of those "Pet's life" movies or whatever they're called. I realize that they needed it to emote and talk and all that, but I just remember the photorealistic cat in Toy Story 4 and think that this is a massive step back, considering all the other, frankly fantastic, designs they had going for them in this movie. I loved the design of all the Jerries and Terry. Very unique and fun!

[edit] A plus with this being on Disney+ is that you can easily go back and rewatch some stuff. I have to say, the sequence of him falling from the stairway to the beyond into the before, is pretty fantastic. The black and white animation is very very well done.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 26, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Zero One posted:

Luca was very good. Really low stakes but great character drama. Lots of beautiful animation.

Luca betraying Alberto at the beach was painful. But them coming to each other's rescue during the bike race was great.

Yeah that part cut deep. You absolutely buy the intended feelings of betrayal and hurt.

Lovely film. Very pretty, good voices, great comedic timing in the animations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

I'm 15 minutes in and I can already tell this is the gayest thing Disney's done since High School Musical. It's great!

It really is, I feel this is a bit of an apology for the gay cop in Onward that was so much touted by clickbait sites.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

So Space Jam 2 tried to be Ready Player Two?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

IUG posted:

WB has been at this for a while. I watched The Lego Movie 1 with my daughter recently, and in retrospect it's a very IP friendly story.

That movie is legit good tho but lightning don't strike twice that often.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

what Lego Movie had aside from Lord and Miller is a genuine love for the subject matter instead of a cynical checklist (yes even Ready Player One is peak Jerkoff Gatekeeping Nerd)

Not an empty quote.

Seriously, Lego movie took a lot of effort to make, and it shows. If it had been a full on cynical cash grab with no personal attachment from the filmmakers, it wouldn’t look or behave like it does.

Honestly all the theatrical Lego movies are within the “good” side of the scale. I saw that ninja one on a plane and while clearly weakest by a lot, it was fun enough. At times, it was really fun!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ccs posted:

A friend of mine got dog piled by these stable clever boys for pointing out that animation has in betweens that aren’t meant to be golden poses. The “animation fans” on twitter making GBS threads on Turning Red are truly something else. Also they’re all Trump supporters, so I guess having bad political and artistic opinions go hand in hand.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshClarkVFX/status/1497774447369113608

As children, me and my sister would randomly pause The Lion King to laugh at the silly faces that would occur. Never did it occur to us it made the movie bad. The more you know!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Suddenly....faceswap!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Looking forward to Turning Red. I’m especially curious to see how a modern movie will portray 2002. It’s such a weirdly specific detail I can’t help but being intrigued by it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

They will see monsters Inc on videotape

I remember watching it in theatres, and especially the short “For the birds” beforehand. I’ve never seen my dad laugh so much before or since.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

You’re telling me we could’ve gotten a Luca with even stronger gay vibes?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I'm also confused at why all this is coming out about Turning Red all of a sudden. Where were these people when Soul and Coco and Encanto and Spider-verse were taking the world by storm? I assumed there were all the same wailing and gnashing of teeth because this is not an old argument, but what makes Turning Red any more of a specific representational movie than those were?

If I were to guess it’s because it’s about a minority person in a culturally “white” country. They want movies set in Canada to be centred on pasty white Mounties.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It really is fun and charming. I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff I’m not picking up but there’s still plenty to love. The energy is contagious, the animators is having *tons* of fun in this one.

My fiancé (born 1990, like me) recognises a lot of things from her early teens, like stick-on earrings for instance. Never even knew that was a thing!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Yeah there was a great deal of fun with the face animations in this one. I was particularly fond of her mother, and especially when she thought that Mei had gotten her first period. Her terrified scream to her husband "IT'S HAPPENING" really made me laugh hard..

btw don't look up "Turning Red Reviews" on Youtube unless you want to see a lot of NPCs doing smug "what is this?" faces.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 11, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I was honestly surprised that the movie explicitly made it clear that her parents thought she was freaking out about menstruation at first. Like, actually showing them bringing out maxi pads and stuff. Good on them!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/thebearalliance/status/1502312375361458177?s=21

Loved this bit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/QNJazmine/status/1502340067649794048?s=20&t=vS6zK2iCWZsEZxEQoGzwQQ

God the animation is so wonderfully energetic :allears:

Her putting down the notebook, taking it back and then rolling under the bed is comedy gold slapstick stuff.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Rewatching parts of it and it’s really amazing how energetic the animation is, but on a selective basis. A lot of times characters move about and react kind of like you’d expect from a big Pixar production, but they throw in a lot of hilarious curveballs to give some extra juice to the engine.

A new favourite is when Mei Mei is about to leave for the party through her window and her grandma surprises her at the door, she does a fun cartwheel sort of thing to get away from the window, it’s quick but very cartoony in the best way possible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sivart13 posted:

I thought it was fun how this whole scene was in the teaser trailer but they cut past that line so there was still a special cringe surprise

There’s no stage of capitalism that would include Disney allowing menstruation products being part of a movie’s marketing. I’m surprised they allowed it in the movie at all.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh well no movie is perfect.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Was Big Hero Six really a big deal, culturally? I liked it fine when I saw it, and the robot has a capital G Great design to it (my profile pic on D+ ) but can’t say I’ve ever seen it make an impact on pop-culture, other than thirsty memes about the mother I suppose.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'm that guy who loved Incredibles 2 a lot more than the first one, I'll take no further questions, God bless America.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Maybe they canned Zootopia 2 after they saw that fancomic that brought up abortion rights, thinking they couldn’t top that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Even that comic creator couldn't come up with a sequel good enough for that, so they made the rabbit a senator who joined her wife in a car at grassy knoll and got assassinated

Actually it was just a paint gun and the artist did a centrist "both sides are bad and they both shot her at the same time" bullshit

The fox became a boy scout leader like in a Wes Anderson film

Not sure if you’re joking about something I haven’t seen but I did see a sequel in which Hopps has a girlfriend.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I need to ask because it’s been haunting me forever: anyone happens to have that fancomic of the guy getting mortally wounded in a car accident, has his last wish being that the doctor starts watching MLP, and then when he dies he ends up in MLP heaven and turns into a pony himself. I need to find this loving thing to prove to my friends I didn’t make it up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

90% of Get Back is exactly this kind of thing!

And it rules. In fact, they caught on camera the moment he actually came up with the song Get Back, just moodily slapping his guitar by himself.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Stumbling over some Turning Red clips it really can’t be said enough how fun and energetic the facial expressions are throughout. It reminds me a bit of Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs and how they animated Flint Lockwood in particular, only Pixar spread it out to all kinds of characters.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/whyitsreyanna/status/1508264763427540995?s=21

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

readingatwork posted:

Welp, his career is toast. His whole persona is built around being the likeable guy from the Fresh Prince of Bell Air and he just torched that on national television.

I mean it is for now, but given enough time and money spending, he’ll be back. This sort of thing didn’t kill off Burt Reynolds or Jeremy Clarkson.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Will Smith would handle a Celebrity Roast about as well as Peter Griffin, who knew.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ishikabibble posted:

For what its worth he seemed to laugh at it right up until he saw his wife was unamused by the whole thing :shrug:

I imagine if Chris Rock had just stuck to him and not brought up his wife then it wouldn't have happened, but turns out if you make a cheap joke about someone's partner's appearance that's directly caused by a disease, then you're kinda making a dick move.

Sure, the joke was nasty, like many of them are. And if Will had kept his cool, literally no one would’ve remembered it 5 minutes later.

He made an rear end of himself, justified or not, that’s the end result.

I thought Encanto was really bland, thought Luca had a lot more personality to it. Ah well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Wittgen posted:

It was a bad joke in that it was both unfunny and mean.

Physical violence in response to lovely jokes is not OK or cool.

One millionaire slapping another millionaire on international live television is funny. Having it happen twenty minutes before the slapper gets an award he's wanted for decades? Comedy genius.

All of this is true. Good post.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I’m willing to bet that DeSantis will talk the talk and then do absolutely no walk anywhere in regards to Disney, because the mouth breathers who cares about culture war horseshit would never scrape the surface of his statements.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I catch snippets of Married with Children in the break room at work, since it’s one of those shows they put in the dead hours of the day to fill out the tableau. If I’ve ever seen a boomer show it’d be the one. Problem is, boomers who chuckle at “women do be like that” jokes don’t watch cartoons.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sivart13 posted:

Who is they? Where is work??

I haven't seen a clip of this show in 20 years, it's the kind of thing like M.A.S.H. that when it came on the TV when I was kid it just kinda creeped me out.

I guess they are Swedish tv-stations and work is commuter trains, where you’ll find yourself having “lunch” at literally any conceivable time of the day, meaning you’ll mindlessly zap through the channels on the tv at half past nine in the morning while your meal is being microwaved. That’s the context for my “Married with Children” intake.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I rewatched The Lion King the other day (1994 version). It really is a great movie but it struck me how the ending sort of peters out. It becomes a bit of "entertain the kids" overload after having balanced such trap falls fairly well until that point. Rafiki doing ninja shouts, I mean, really?

Eh, still fantastic overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

A literal sock puppet. Love it.