Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HBO Max has released a trailer for their Looney Tunes revival. It's looking pretty nice.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Speaking of The Simpsons on Disney+, are they ever going to fix the aspect ratio for the 4:3 episodes? I thought the official word was that it was happening this year, which I guess is still possible but they don't seem to be in a loving hurry.

The latest word is they’ll have the 4:3 versions sometime next month.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

IUG posted:

I'm getting extreme Ren & Stimpy: Adult Cartoon Party vibes from that for reasons I don't know and don't want to explore further.

I can kind of see what you mean. Both are heavily aping that 1940’s animation style that you otherwise never see in HD.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Roth posted:

Anybody watching the new Looney Tunes shorts?

Seems pretty alright so far. Really good looking animation.
Yeah, I watched the first episode and was really happy with it. The monkey bird short was everything I wanted from a new Daffy/Porky cartoon.

I'm less happy with the selection of classic shorts on Max. There's only about 200 on there out of the 1000+ produced. I know the content of some shorts means they'll likely never see the light of day and anything earlier than 1937 or so is fairly unwatchable, but it'd be nice to have something approaching a complete collection.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, Bugs is actually a throwback to his original depictions. Pretty much all the famous toons have had different personalities over the years.

Yeah, the HBOMax series sticks very close to the 1940's depictions of the characters. I imagine a lot of people aren't as familiar with those shorts since back in the day those would air on cable while networks like ABC and Kids WB usually only ran stuff from the 50's and 60's.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Speaking of Scoob, it will be on HBO Max starting this Friday. I'm curious to see it despite the bad reviews.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Boxman posted:

It drives me fuckin nuts that Cats Don’t Dance isn’t available somewhere to stream.

TIL that all of old Looney Tunes is on HBO Max, though, so it’s been a good night. The Looney Tunes show is also good, right? The one where Bugs and Daffy are housemates?

Sadly they only have about 1/4 of all the classic shorts. They have been adding more on occasion at least but WB just can’t seem to bothered to release all of the cartoons for even the popular characters let alone the full collection.

I remember the Looney Tunes show being hit or miss but overall decent. I need to revisit it sometime. You should definitely try the new Looney Tunes Cartoons series though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Does his Pinky voice still sound about the same though?

Pinky sounded pretty much the same. I actually thought Yakko sounded the most consistent of the Warner siblings.

Apart from the actors aging I believe the old show used to speed the Warners' voices up like 5 percent. I'm not positive but I don't think they're doing that here.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Darth TNT posted:

The cartoon was really funny indeed. Why did Disney ever stop with those accompanying cartoons. Aladdin and Hercules are both very enjoyable cartoon series.

They still do them from time to time. I think Big Hero 6 and Tangled were the most recent. They've also got series for Monster Inc. and Zootopia in the works.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Also man every shot of the CG parts of the movie is really bumming me out... and also confusing me. There's a shot in either this or another video that had Daffy, Elmer, Yosemite Sam and Lola. Now in all of these shots Daffy looks incredible, he looks like that animated short they did of him several years ago. He looks PERFECTLY translated into 3D. Bugs also does as well, though I think they did the best job on Daffy. All the other characters range from pretty good (Elmer, Yosemite) to eh (Granny). And then you have Lola. Lola looks like she was modeled by a totally different company. I can't for the life of me understand why they made her 3D version look so off, and it's especially noticeable when she's next to Daffy. Maybe they used up all the resources FOR Daffy :v:
For some reason they felt the need to give 3D Lola makeup. She's got blush and eyeliner that don't exist on her 2D character design and it looks terrible.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

WB are weird when it comes to the LT voice actors. They recast for every project and even the mainstays have to reaudition. Eric Bauza plays Bugs, Daffy and Tweety in the new HBO Max shorts but he's just Daffy here. I think Bugs is back to being played by Jeff Bergman who previously voiced him in The Looney Tunes Show and New Looney Tunes. Tweety must be Bob Bergen because he sounds just like Porky in that clip.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Don't think I've seen those shorts, how's Bauza's Bugs and Tweety voice? Also, how are the shorts in general?

Overall I'd say the new shorts are quite good especially the Daffy cartoons. They're very much in the style of the early to mid 1940's shorts so they've got the more screwball Daffy and jerkass Bugs characterizations which some people don't care for since the networks usually stuck with stuff from the 50's. Bauza's Bugs is alright for that style of cartoon but I find his Tweety a bit too nasal.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

And the new Space Jam version sounds way too deep, does any modern Looney Tunes show have an actor with a decent Tweety voice?

Tweety's a tough one and I don't think any of the modern VA's have pulled him off. Mel Blanc's voice was actually sped up by like 20% for Tweety but I believe most of the modern actors are trying to do it naturally.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely want to know why they're called the 'tune squad' when...the other guys are the 'goon squad'...isn't 'goon vs toon' the better thing?

Because the IP is Looney Tunes not Looney Toons. The name doesn’t make a lot of sense these days but if you go way back to the early 30’s every short was meant to showcase a song from the Warner Bros library. That didn’t last long as the shorts became more about the popular characters but the name stuck.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Looking it up, reportedly they DID get Kath Soucie back and she recorded all her lines. Then at some point in production, all of Lola's dialogue was rerecorded with Zendaya for marketing reasons.
I want to meet the person who was on the fence about seeing Space Jam 2 until learning Zendaya would play Lola pushed them over the edge.

Kath Soucie did actually reprise Lola in a couple of New Looney Tunes episodes. Her personality was closer to the Looney Tunes Show version so it was interesting to hear her do a completely different take on the character.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Data Graham posted:

What do you suppose the issue was, too many complaints that it sounded like they were ripping off the Cowboy Bebop opening?

I doubt it. Doing a new OP/ED sequence for a new season is pretty much the norm with anime.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rescue Rangers feels like a weird property to take this approach with and those voices just feel wrong, but I was a huge fan as a kid so I can't help but give it a shot. At least C&D appear to be the starring characters in this. Too many of these movies fall into the trap of having the cartoon characters play second banana to live-action celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Velma reminds of the Simpsons episode where Lisa self-righteously declares she's going to play football with the boys only to find that there are already three girls on the team. The writers think they're being subversive but they're just covering ground that countless Cartoon Network parodies and even mainline Scooby projects have done a better job with.