Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

pokeyman posted:

I remember liking it (probably helped by my rock bottom expectations) but the sequel did nothing for me.

Trolls world tour was great :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Holy poo poo

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I didn't like Encanto because the entire thing felt rushed, which killed any emotional impact (for me). It felt like it spent a ton of time setting up the backstory and explaining each family member's power, then wrapped it all up without giving any proper time to really explore the relationships of the characters or give them a journey during which to grow. Like, "here's the problem, here's the solution, glad that's wrapped up."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Yes, their opinions on their children to make what they think are bad decisions. "It's your life to live" isn't an endorsement, it's a condemnation with a promise of inaction.

This is growth from their starting point in the movie, which is brilliantly described by Mei: "the least you can do in return is every single thing they ask." And this is more realistic character growth than some perfect "you know this one night has convinced me I was totally wrong about everything"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

My 9-year-old preferred Frozen 2 fwiw

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Frozen 1's music is Let It Go (phenomenal and a deserved hit) then a bunch of poo poo half-baked songs about sandwiches and being a fixer upper

No way, Love is an Open Door pops and the opening song with the ice harvesters is a great work chant.

e: ^ this goon gets it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Animation will have the last laugh because people actually watch animation

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I thought Bad Guys wasn't out for a few more weeks, how are all these people seeing it?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Das Boo posted:

There's another goddamn Despicable Me and the monkey's paw is just sprouting new fingers to curl.

All 3 Despicable Me movies are great though

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I continue to be find it hilarious that "CG cartoon" and "CG cartoon but the characters are based on actors" basically register differently to people as if 90% of the most popular movies in the world aren't Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Tbf those movies also have a very hard time getting recognition as "real" "art" from academy voters

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I thought I had no idea what y'all were talking about with Disenchantment but then I realized I've tried to watch it like 3 times and never made it more than about 1.5 episodes in

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Big Mouth has plenty of detractors but I love it. I can never seem to convince anyone how insanely funny and creative the show is, everyone's always hung up on "but they look ugly" and won't give the show a chance

But I have not been feeling Human Resources at all. I think it's because it feels like the exact opposite of Big Mouth:

- Big Mouth takes something mundane (teens going through puberty) and adds ridiculous fantasy monsters to it. It's so weird and fresh and funny.

- Human Resources takes ridiculous fantasy monsters and makes them mundane by putting them in a workplace sitcom. It feels like any number of cookie cutter adult cartoons, for example Ugly Americans

Maury and Connie feel like special guest stars awkwardly shoehorned in from a better show to help get a spin-off off the ground.

Two episodes in. Should I keep going?

It does get funnier in the second half of the season but it's still only alright

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I think the big issue with humans resources compared to big mouth is that coach Steve, Lola, and Andrew are by far the funniest characters in big mouth and human resources doesn't have anything that comes close.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The terror wasn't visceral enough during the finale of this all-ages family film

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was 21 in Toronto when 9/11 happened and after it became clear that they were not, in fact, going after the CN Tower next, we didn't care. Certainly not a year later in 2002.

I was in college on the west coast and people didn't even care the day of, none of my classes were even cancelled lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, that was my big question from watching the trailer (I haven't seen the movie yet); Are there other animals? Do they even acknowledge it?

Idk about the movie but fwiw in the books there are no humans, it's all animals

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526646882302414848

the axe continues to fall. I knew Netflix was retreating to 'safe' content but I didn't think it was going to be THIS 'safe'. Antiracist Baby (a book for preschoolers) was a popular political target for conservatives just a couple of months ago during their ongoing "I don't know what CRT is but I hate it and it's everywhere" campaign with Ted Cruz in particular being incensed at the book's existence. if Netflix is making panicked politically-charged executive decisions it doesn't bode well for their creative department

Wings of fire is also very very popular amongst kids, a tv adaptation seems like guaranteed money

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I didn't see Lilo & Stitch until the pandemic and loved it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've genuinely liked what I've seen of the Minions movie.

All the despicable me and minion movies are great

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Just saw minions. It wasn't as funny as the previous movies but it was still fun and the final big action scene was fantastic.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I watched nightmare before Christmas again yesterday and that movie is still incredible, the Danny elfman score combined with that animation/aesthetic is soooooo good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s actually weirder than that - there’s a “real” Buzz and a traditional animated-look Buzz walking around the parks at the same time.

I bet real guy hates traditional guy so much

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The Little Mermaid one is frustrating because on one hand it's funny that it's making a bunch of racist idiots mad that Ariel is black now but on the other hand I'm morally opposed to any live action remakes and hate them with all my guts

The over singing in the trailer really really really bothers me, the original music is perfect Disney gently caress you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm gonna watch this movie with my kids and we're all gonna have a great time

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Illumination Mario looks friendlier

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oh speaking of, this fan art cover is dope, I would love that cover as a poster for my kid

https://www.reddit.com/r/CriterionCovers/comments/uasv4b/the_bad_guys_2022_finalized_criterion_cover/

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I was without internet all weekend, and had my kids with me, so we were reduced to watching media I had saved.

We watched the bad guys and spider verse yesterday and God what amazing movies both. Spider verse easily remains one of my favorite movies ever, but the bad guys is just so gorgeous as well.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

I watched Wendyll and Wild.

The character designs and the animation were top notch as usual, but I felt the movie was kind of overstuffed with plot, way too many different plots.

Yeah I watched it and was impressed with it technically but the movie just felt kinda lifeless? Something about the voice acting/pacing/soundtrack never clicked for me

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

Marc maron was in the DreamWorks movie?

He's Snake. I didn't realize this until like the third time I watched the movie.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

Is Inside Job good?

I haven't watched season 2 but season 1 wasn't

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Mario movie looks amazing. I don't care about Pratt's voice, I'm hyped.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

It's because the first two sonic movies were good and Mario is an unproven commodity

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I like how the ape robot transforms into a very slightly less ape-like robot

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Simulation883 posted:

How was Disney's new "First Gay Character?"

The handling of the kid's love interest is by far the highlight of what is an otherwise entirely forgettable movie

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Boxman posted:

Oh also does "Pando" as the Proper Noun Of The Movie mean anything? It's so close to so many actual words that I feel like it's trying and failing to evoke something.

Brawndo, has what plants crave

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wow Puss in Boots was incredible. The animation was insane but the story and characters were also so good. I loved the opening musical number.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

My kids are less hyped than me I think. If it was a Pokemon movie with that budget and style, now we're talking.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sourdough Sam posted:

The wolf was amazing.

Dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but I thought John Mulaney as Big Jack Horner was hilarious. His character design is so intentionally unappealing and odd to look at but the performance and animation made that work. His hands are the size of his head if not bigger and his eyes are tiny, but he was delightful.

Yeah I thought he was great. Especially a certain line he delivered in the finale scene, I guffawed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Also the Jack Horner character creating space in the story for the jiminy cricket character was glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was Sing 2 good? Seems weird seeing it at #3.

Yeah it's very very good, the music is amazing and the story is nice enough.