Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 2011 Thundercats was so loving boring.

It was amusing that they cancelled it after a season and then immediately greenlit a Lego series about an orange lion man using a special sword to fight crocodile lizard men for ten seasons.

Flip that, actually. LEGO came to them with Chivo? Chiba? Whatever. And Cartoon Network dropped the cartoon about the lion man with no toy tie in for the cartoon about the lion man with the HUGE toy tie in.

I was annoyed cause season 1 ended on a cliffhanger and I was starting to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

J-Spot posted:

I can kind of see what you mean. Both are heavily aping that 1940’s animation style that you otherwise never see in HD.

I feel like the line weight is off. The lines seem razor thin, and don't have the "character" of the pencil lines Photostatted onto cels the originals had.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Pencil lines xeroxed onto cels wasn't something the old looney tunes shorts did that was more of a Disney thing in later decades, what WB did was have inkers trace over the art onto cels.

Ah, misremembered then. I still think the razor thin lines on this new Looney Toons doesn't have the same feel as the old ones and that's what's tripping my eye up on them.
Also the voices ranging from "almost" to "not even close."

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I feel like the side view is not *hip swaying* as much as the straight on.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Yeah ok this made me snort-laugh.
Got something new to watch!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
It’s technically proficient, and I love me some indy animation.

But I’m getting the strong vibe that Vivziepop is working out some issues and is making anyone who clicks “play” part of her group session.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

YggiDee posted:

Oogie Boogie is a bunch of insects who came together to form a band and they kidnapped Santa to be the audience to their first single.

Edit: I rewatched Howl's Moving Castle for the first time since 2004 and it turns out that I really like Howl's Moving Castle and I just... forgot or something. It has the misfortune of coming directly after Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, literally my favourite movies, but it's still really pretty and I adore the characters. I think I'm going to give the book a shot next.

Book is honestly better because it has a real ending rather than “movies over this guy’s the prince everything’s happy roll credits” abruptness.

But I do love that first act in the film. It’s awesome.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
(Gently grasps larynx and shakes it for extra vibrato.)
“The greatest adventure…”

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

readingatwork posted:

This would also kick rear end if you could get somebody good at silent storytelling. Think something along the lines of Primal.

I didn’t know I wanted “Genndy Tartakovsky’s Metroid” but how I really do!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Watched this last night. I was already laughing harder than I have in a long time when that gag rolls up and I laughed myself into a headache.

Worth it.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Please, let none of us overlook the epitome of animating on horny that were the glitter tigers in Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70Uyg0jnsQ

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Sivart13 posted:

I only watched the first episode but I was pretty surprised when this happened

YES! If you hadn’t brought it up I would have. They do it again in the finale too.
What would you call that, breaking frame? Breaking letterbox? Really like the effect when it’s used sparingly.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Mozenrath was always my favorite villain in that show. That being said I barely remember anything about him, or the show, at all.

Just bone hand, floating eels and black sand.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Democratizing the technology by training it on a database of stolen art.
gently caress Corridor Digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
This was pre-digital ink and paint, too. Rather than sit each animator at a rotoscope, they made photostats of each frame of the filmed portion of the shot. The animator would put those prints on their animation table and draw with that as a background reference.

Can't just load up a pattern in photoshop! They made the sequin glimmer in Jessica's dress by filming light shining through a black plastic bag that they'd scratched with steel wool.