Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which happens first?
This poll is closed.
Luffy becomes the Pirate King 9 8.26%
Asta becomes the Wizard King 5 4.59%
Deku becomes the Symbol Of Peace 10 9.17%
Shippuden stops airing 8 7.34%
We all die 77 70.64%
Total: 109 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's now officially both an Animation for Adults thread and an Adult Swim Megathread in TVIV since a lot of people wanted to discuss Adult Swim stuff without drowning in anime chat. If you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool)

Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars: please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo nostalgia trippin' so now its back for good.

Currently airing:

12:00 - My Hero Academia

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (a viable career option in this world), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no power (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him a freak outcast with little chance. Until one day he meets the most powerful and popular hero in the world (and his own personal idol) All Might and things suddenly change...

This series (or rather, this season of this series) is very recent, we're only a few episodes behind Japan! Wow!

12:30 - Paranoia Agent

One night in Tokyo, character creator Tsukiko Sagi is attacked by a boy with a golden bat wearing golden roller blades. As attacks by the boy (dubbed "Lil' Slugger" (or "Shonen Bat" in Japan) become more frequent, can the detectives assigned to the case stop him? Can he even be stopped?

This is the brainchild of Satoshi Kon, who is the director of Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Paprika. It's real loving good. It aired on Adult Swim back in '05 but if you missed it back then or didn't give it a shot, you really should now.

Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfw8G4Z7Hs

1:00 - Mob Psycho 100
Move, move, just like Mob!

8th grader Shigeo "Mob" Kageyama is one of, if not the most powerful psychics in the world... and he doesn't really seem to care all that much. But he does work part time for another psychic and who is way more powerful and definitely not a con artist, Reigen Arataka, exorcising ghosts and spirits for dirt cheap. The only catch is that the normally emotionally reserved Mob does have a breaking point, and well... you'll see.

This is another rerun (dammit, COVID) but much like Paranoia Agent above, this is very good and if you missed it for whatever reason before, you should definitely watch it now.

1:30 - Black Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Main character Naruto Asta is a poor orphan born into a world full of magic, he's poo poo on by everyone in his village, and one day he swears he's gonna be King of the PiratesHokagethe Wizard-King of the land and earn everyone's respect! Unfortunately he's bad at ninjutsu doesn't have a quirk one of the only people in the land who possesses zero magical ability, in a world where magic is everything (take a shot when you hear this phrase and die in a half-hour)! And his best friend and broody loner Sasuke Yuno seems to be the best at everything, even possessing a special bloodline ability Devil Fruit power Stand 4-clover grimoire that proves he's the super-best at magic. But one day he gets super-mad and summons his super-cool and super-edgy demon chakra 5-star grimoire to prove he's gonna be the greatest magical knight and eventually become Wizard-King and marry Sakura some nun, his love interest who does not love him! But wait, what about the many numerous female characters who love him but he's totally oblivious? UGGGHHHH.

This show is incredibly sub-par and you should feel bad for Adult Swim for buying it. I mean it was supposed to be some hot new poo poo, broadcast rights probably cost them a pretty penny. Then everyone hated it. Oh well.

2:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

The plot of Jojo's is way too long and convoluted to boil down into one paragraph but suffice it to say it involves following a family on bizarre adventures throughout the generations, and a new chapter starts down the line with a new protagonist that is somehow related to the prior one. Here's this one: Jotaro Kujo (from part 3) has sent Koichi (from Part 4) to Italy to investigate young improbably buff 15 year old Giorno Giovanna... Get it? Gio Gio? Like Jo Jo? Ah whatever. Giorno's is actually the son of former villain Dio Brando (and thus technically the son of Jonathan Joestar (from part 1) since Dio hitched a ride Jonathan's body since the 1800s) and Jotaro's just making sure that evil isn't genetic. Giorno has long idolized the gangsters of Italy and has made a good living pickpocketing and committing small crimes, but now he plans to change the entire gang structure of Italy from the inside out. Anyway, everybody has magic ghost things called Stands that give them all sorts of batshit powers so get ready to have fun.

(Though Giorno's power is like, really dumb, so much so that a lot of the fans dislike it, and Jojo fans will put up with a lot of real bullshit, so that'll be interesting)

Full preview here

2:30 - Naruto Shippuden
why are we still here? just to suffer?

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Anyway, gently caress this show. The fact that it's not the last show on this block is a slap in the face to every other show after it, and I don't even necessarily like some of those shows. Anyway it will never end and someday after the nukes drop and you breathe your last, your mutant children might get to see the end of a filler arc.

So what can we expect this year?

Update: Due to COVID, you may not expect poo poo due to dubbing companies being closed and/or way behind schedule. Toonami execs have said there will be "new" shows, likely reruns of old shows (I'd expect the return of Cowboy Bebop sooner or later), but until life is back to normal, neither will this cartoon anime block. However, assuming life gets back to normal....

Toonami really doesn't like to announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, shows that'll definitely air here eventually include but are not limited to
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization - Its final season is supposed to start in Japan soon in July, and due to COVID the dub will probably take even longer than the 4-month turnaround time last season's sub-to-dub was made. It'll be back in either winter or 2021.
  • Attack On Titan - New season starts soon, dub will surely follow.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - 2nd season is already out in full so this one's just a matter of time.
  • Food Wars - there's a whole mess of Food Wars. Apparently they changed production companies after season 2 so a new deal has to be negotiated, so season 3 coming... eventually.
  • The Promised Neverland - Season 2 in October
  • Dr. Stone - Season 2 has been announced (with no confirmed start date) in Japan
  • Fire Force - Ditto.
  • everything else - MHA will definitely have another season sooner or later, Boruto might come back at some point, who knows?

Oh, but one thing for sure is coming this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito! While no set date has been announced (my money's on somewhere around Halloween), it will be definitely be this year. And it will air here ~before Japan!~

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman (or others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Synchtube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay.

What's on right now?

All the Fox reruns, as usual. Well, not all. Adult Swim lost or gave up the licenses to the Cleveland Show (oh noooo :geno:) and King of the Hill (oh no, for real!) to Comedy Central, but hey, Bob's Burgers is on now, and that's good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Ummm... okay, Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia and there's a ton that haven't aired in years that aren't officially canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time.

So yeah, I'm not gonna bother copy-pasting the descriptions of all ~20 of their listed "current" shows off Wikipedia. Still, feel free to talk about them here.

Okay, that's all out of the way, enjoy 2020! Only 2 more years until SAO is real!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Not really. Kubo got forced to end the manga long before he actually wanted to, so he had to rush the ending a lot, particularly toward the last few chapters when the powers-that-be decided to abruptly end the manga. As a result the manga ended in an anticlimactic wet fart.

I want to see the ending Kubo wanted. I want to see an anime ending that wraps things up better than the manga.

#ReleaseTheKuboCut

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One thing I don't get in this arc so far is why everybody assumes that Eri actually is Overhaul's daughter. I mean, I guess she is since they're committing to the bit and not doubting it, but he could easily have been lying to Deku and Mirio to stop them from interfering.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like it a lot.

Yeah this is the best one in like, a while, imo. I think it's my favorite.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Quirk: Fat Adsorption. Geez, Funi, get it together

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, that is some fierce bedhead

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm Dr Togata, the rock n roll hero!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, Bubble Girl's outfit is one of the most impractical things I've seen in all of superhero-dom, and I've read a lot of comics.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Why the heck isn't Overhaul running if he's concerned about being found right now? Maybe move at a pace faster than a casual stroll?

Because everyone knows that being calmly smug is the hallmark of a good villain :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Time for the Science Adventures of The Best Dad In Shonen History.

But All Might isn't a scientist?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
C'mon Comrade Eggman, have a little faith.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait, what?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, now I see what that retcon people talked about clearly was

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Shame Boy posted:

You must simply suppress the accent whenever you sing, as somebody from the south it is a skill you pick up naturally just living down here.

Yeah, there's plenty of non-country singers from the south who have no accent when singing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

and it's completely pointless, because senku would pretty much be exactly as related to the modern people of the village if byakua had been his biological father than if he hadn't

I mean it's one of those things where scientifically it makes total sense but saying it out loud it still sounds hosed up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That would've been great info earlier, Gen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hey, everyone who thought Tsukasa's plan was dumb and could never begin to work?

he somehow managed to get the army of burly dudes to work for him, at least

Well I'd imagine it'd be real easy to coerce guys into working for you when you can go around one-punching goddamn lions. Plus he actually has access to revival fluid, so it'd also be easy to coerce people with the promise of reviving friends or loved ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Level Seven posted:

Great Saiyaman narrating DB Kakarrot ad? Of course.

I'm pretty sure Hebert was trying to do his narrator voice from the old dub of DBZ, but since he hasn't done that voice in years, he can't do it right anymore and it just sounds more like Gohan.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh, good for you Genos, getting your own branded merchandise

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow the poo poo has gotten real-er

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, dude

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, so we have another character with a Millennium Headcloth that lets him change personalities

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
where's Ruggington these days because this is too easy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's like they knew there was a two week break and scheduled an episode to make up for the horniness we've been missing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Did SARA get a different VA? She sounds more high-pitched now.

i missed the last episode of the TIE, fyi

Nope, still the same

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
foodgasm count approaching critical levels

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

God loving dammit I hate it so much

oh no I think I know what this means...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo, we Zoro now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FIFA ~1920

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
jesus CHRIST

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I guess we're not gonna do anything about Tanjiro's busted leg/ribs?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh great, it's Demon Slayer Miroku

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

at least rave master gave us the greatest dub OP ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJa2kZx5GY&hd=1

jesus, I haven't remembered this in years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
dear lord, I think this guy might somehow have taken the prize for most ridiculous jojo costume yet

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
dicknoodle

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo so it's stasis from Breath of the Wild

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait are the forums about to close again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Only problem is SAO is on hiatus in Japan until April. :(

The show will run out of episodes right at the end of March (or one week into April if they show the .5 recap episode). Thus perfectly syncing up with Japan for a simuldub! :eng101:

(I'm kidding, that won't happen... maybe)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 8, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rock Lock rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

Also this quirk doesn't mean poo poo to Mirio.

It seems like it shouldn't mean that much to anyone else. Or at least Deku, he should be able to launch himself and keep smashing through walls.