Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even hybrid drives don’t really feel worth it at this point. An SSD cost per gig is about what an HDD’s $/GB was 10 years ago, without even factoring in inflation. it’s insane.
Better, frankly. Much better. I could not have gotten a 1TB hard drive for under 100 dollars ten years ago. Now, I can get a 1TB SSD for that price, easily. It's better in every sense, both storage and performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Better, frankly. Much better. I could not have gotten a 1TB hard drive for under 100 dollars ten years ago. Now, I can get a 1TB SSD for that price, easily. It's better in every sense, both storage and performance.

I think you’re right about that, there was that huge 2010ish spike in price for a few years after that tsunami took out a bunch of HDD plants in... I think it was Thailand? 2009 or so I bought a TB drive for around 80-100 bucks and I remember the timing on that was basically just right.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ambaire posted:

And for the record, Reddit was never a pedophile haven.

yes ambaire in fact for the record, :reddit: was and almost certainly still is a pedophile haven

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

The step up with M.2 drives is nice as well. More price than performance, but not by much.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SSD's still get you about 1/8th of the storage for the same relative price and between having 500 GB that perform like 15% faster or having a slower 4 TB, given the size of games these days I'm more inclined towards the latter.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, just saying, people obviously do care to a degree that actually affects sales if it isn't fixable. No opinion on how bad the port actually is, I haven't played it yet.

I only provided 3 examples where my personal experience was 100% contrary to public opinion as an example towards a comment suggesting to return a game that I haven't played yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There aren't enough good games that you need that much storage. Not having an SSD is insane nowadays.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This is exactly as much of a head trip as it looks like, but between the level design being apparently mostly single-tile-wide zig-zagging corridors and the mouse aim having this horrid slippery inertia to it, I genuinely can't play this. I think 10 kills is my record. :(

Yeah I can imagine it's just too much for some people and epileptics should run away screaming because this game is basically made to murder them, so fair warning on that front

My wife sat and watched me play it and said "I have no idea how you can tell what's going on, my brain can't process things that fast". It's like Hotline Miami where getting better means you're more playing on instinct than planning

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What was a major dealbreaker for me on platter drives was download speeds. Even if the drive itself is smaller, I can download something from steam at 25-30 MB/sec onto an SSD, compared to 10 MB a second onto an HDD. Being able to freely install/uninstall like that more than makes up for a smaller size in terms of convenience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

SSD's still get you about 1/8th of the storage for the same relative price and between having 500 GB that perform like 15% faster or having a slower 4 TB, given the size of games these days I'm more inclined towards the latter.
While I won't say that you don't generally still get more storage for your money when you buy an HDD, "15% faster" is total bullshit. Even the worst SSD has R/W rates that are at least 3 times faster than an HDD of the same general price class. HDDs max out at 160MB/s, which is top grade and practically unheard of in most models. SSDs start at 300MB/s and they only faster from there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What terrible ancient HDDs were you using that can't do 25 MB/s :confused:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

I think it’s a software limit or something, since they absolutely can write faster but for whatever reason my downloads were maxing out there on a few different drives even though ATTO benchmarking software was showing 100MB/sec. I didn’t have my downloads throttled at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

orcane posted:

For some reason, Steam downloads have a really weird performance impact on hard drive speeds. I've actually noticed that be a bottleneck as well. They read/write way more than the download speed indicates they should. There is a well-known problem where Steam downloads will actually cause certain Windows PCs to slow down or even freeze as the system tried to process the operation, although that also has something to do with timer functions within the OS.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I simply write the binary code for each game into a tome and then recite it back to Cortana using my microphone and ask her to compile it

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Incredible

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Yeah I can imagine it's just too much for some people and epileptics should run away screaming because this game is basically made to murder them, so fair warning on that front

My wife sat and watched me play it and said "I have no idea how you can tell what's going on, my brain can't process things that fast". It's like Hotline Miami where getting better means you're more playing on instinct than planning

Hotline Miami I could deal with, but it ain't got poo poo on Post Void. I'm just getting worse with every attempt.

Cardiovorax posted:

While I won't say that you don't generally still get more storage for your money when you buy an HDD, "15% faster" is total bullshit. Even the worst SSD has R/W rates that are at least 3 times faster than an HDD of the same general price class. HDDs max out at 160MB/s, which is top grade and practically unheard of in most models. SSDs start at 300MB/s and they only faster from there.

idk what to say, from my experience it's seemed entirely like the numbers ISP's try to sell you on, where the number given is the maximum it could possibly reach under any circumstances and the actual performance is typically about a tenth of that. Maybe if I were regularly copying or moving around hundreds of gigs of files at a time I'd notice the difference, but even the games with the absolute most bloated loading times I have available to test with (like Doom 2016) only seem to at best marginally benefit from the SSD, and in most cases I struggle to notice any kind of difference. :shrug: On the other hand, I also don't understand:

I can download something from steam at 25-30 MB/sec onto an SSD, compared to 10 MB a second onto an HDD.

because for me Steam has no difficulty at all pulling 30 MB/s, in rare instances 40-46 on a good day, to an HDD.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There aren't enough good games that you need that much storage. Not having an SSD is insane nowadays.

There are when you keep offline installers and soundtracks for everything because of growing distrust with overreliance on The Cloud(TM) :corsair:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

idk what to say, from my experience it's seemed entirely like the numbers ISP's try to sell you on, where the number given is the maximum it could possibly reach under any circumstances and the actual performance is typically about a tenth of that. Maybe if I were regularly copying or moving around hundreds of gigs of files at a time I'd notice the difference, but even the games with the absolute most bloated loading times I have available to test with (like Doom 2016) only seem to at best marginally benefit from the SSD. :shrug:
It's very visible when you push large files around. My computer does not get what spec says it should, but that's because the main board is literally fifteen years old and has not been replaced since I bought it. I still get 220+MB/s anyway, however, and I do have largs amounts of data to move around often enough that it does matter to me. I can understand if your use case does not make it seem that way to you, but the difference is absolutely real.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

On the other hand, I also don't understand:

because for me Steam has no difficulty at all pulling 30 MB/s, in rare instances 40-46 on a good day, to an HDD.
I've had similar issues, but I admit I can't explain where the problem comes from, either. Steam is pretty bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SSD's help with literally everything though.

Loading windows is incredibly fast.

Opening chrome.

Any applications load way faster.

Yeah taken one a time it might not seem like much but when you add things up over time the SSD is so much faster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Opening chrome.

Yeah taken one a time it might not seem like much but when you add things up over time the SSD is so much faster.

It’s amazing how much my computer’s typical uptime has dropped since I went to SSD’s. I used to avoid rebooting as much as possible because it was such a pain in the rear end. Now I reboot the second anything acts even a bit weird since I have everything up and running again within about a minute.

Cardiovorax posted:

I've had similar issues, but I admit I can't explain where the problem comes from, either. Steam is pretty bad.
It’s not even like it’s rearranging stuff on the disk while downloading, because the disk usage also never goes above 10 MB/sec. Its bizarre but doesn’t effect my SSDs so I stopped bothering trying to figure it out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This is exactly as much of a head trip as it looks like, but between the level design being apparently mostly single-tile-wide zig-zagging corridors and the mouse aim having this horrid slippery inertia to it, I genuinely can't play this. I think 10 kills is my record. :(

Run past enemies and only kill what is necessary.

As for HDDs, they are really there for mass storage these days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It’s not even like it’s rearranging stuff on the disk while downloading, because the disk usage also never goes above 10 MB/sec. Its bizarre but doesn’t effect my SSDs so I stopped bothering trying to figure it out.
Yeah, I used to be consistently downloading way more data per second than Steam was actually willing to write... or the other way around, I don't remember which. I do remember that whatever the hell it did, it was bad enought that I literally couldn't use my computer while I was downloading a game. Every single running task would stutter like it was 1995 instead of a modern high-end system with RAM out the rear end and 4 cores to spread the load over. Whatever the hell is going on there, "bizarre" is really the only way to describe it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Opening chrome.

I really don't intend this to sound like a :smuggo: thing and will readily concede that every OS has its weaknesses, but a year or two back when EOL was announced for Win7 I finally made the jump to Linux and basically got the sort of performance boost people describe with SSD's. Then when I put Linux Mint on an SSD I basically noticed no difference because it was already taking ~10 seconds to load off an HDD :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I really don't intend this to sound like a :smuggo: thing and will readily concede that every OS has its weaknesses, but a year or two back when EOL was announced for Win7 I finally made the jump to Linux and basically got the sort of performance boost people describe with SSD's. Then when I put Linux Mint on an SSD I basically noticed no difference because it was already taking ~10 seconds to load off an HDD :v:

OK well that sure explains a lot!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A well-configured Linux installation is very good at starting up quickly.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I kind of wish I could erase my memory of HZD and play it again with everyone getting it tomorrow.

gently caress Ted Faro.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Even hybrid drives don’t really feel worth it at this point. An SSD cost per gig is about what an HDD’s $/GB was 10 years ago, without even factoring in inflation. it’s insane.

Hybrid drives were almost never worth it, but I've gotten pretty good mileage out of a $100 white-label 8TB drive that's mostly for photo/video/etc. storage but I also use for Steam spillover. I use Primocache to set up a read cached on an old 120GB SSD l had lying around (but they go for $10 on ebay), and it vastly outperforms the dinky SSD on hybrid drives.

With hybrids you really only get a performance boost if you load the same data over and over and do very little in-between, but 120GBs is big enough that it'll keep data in cache for a long time. Updates still require a long initial load, but it works great for the multiplayer games / mmos I still play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can understand any platter holdouts as a fellow "but 2 minute boots and game loads are actually warpspeed because it took 4 minutes in 2003".

If you stick to optimized games and keep your boot clean an SSD is kind of a poor value proposition because you might half your load times at boot of the OS or the game. But if you play horrible bullshit balloon games like Kenshi and Total War you're gonna save like half an hour over the course of an evening and you can load your windows up with all the bonzi buddies and still boot in 15 seconds. I now welcome our lazy unoptimized future.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Looks like Spelunky 2 releases september 15 for the playstation and "shortly after" for PC:

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1291481377158787073

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Is there a good way to get lots of night soil in Dragon Quest Builders 2? I want lots of worm food and woody goodies for my island but my villagers aren't pooping enough. how do I make them poop faster
In my experience, you need to make sure they're eating, and then just make sure there's enough toilets available.

There’s a ton of trap options that sound good but suck, like giving your character who’s built to be talky any charisma.
... What? Isn't that the exact character type you'd expect to want to go in on charisma?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

... What? Isn't that the exact character type you'd expect to want to go in on charisma?
It should be, but that's why it's a trap choice. The stat doesn't actually have any positive effect on the result of your social skill rolls at all. What it does is mostly completely unrelated to that.

Of course, if you're still thinking in Fallout terms, you probably will see this coming, so I can entirely imagine the developers were doing just that.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Flimf posted:

Looks like Spelunky 2 releases september 15 for the playstation and "shortly after" for PC:

:toot:

ooooohh hell yea

I super hope that "shortly after" for PC is like, really shortly after. Cause Spelunky is one my all-time favorites and actually getting addicted again to play this long-awaited sequel next month will surely make me forget about awaiting any Silksong and/or Elden Ring news.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

In my experience, you need to make sure they're eating, and then just make sure there's enough toilets available.

They eat tons but then only one or two will poop. Frankly I'm concerned about their health

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i need storage space for my music because streaming is from the Devil and I will not brook such wickedness. so i have a ssd and a hard drive.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flimf posted:

yessssss

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I see that there's a Rift Breaker Prologue on Steam now, I loved this in the demo weekend thing from a bit ago, has anyone tried this prologue and is it the same thing that was in that demo?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks to the past page, I picked up Post Void. Echoing everyone's sentiments onw how incredibly loud and (probably) epilepsy inducing the visuals are.There's also the narrow FOV that can be disorienting too, with no option to change it that I found.

Playing it, there's 11 stages that I feel are fairly randomised, with upgrades at the end of each level. Health is constantly draining, and you regain health by killing enemies, so ALWAYS MOVE FORWARD. It's almost the ideal of a twitch shooter, since you have to move at incredible speeds and kill things quickly before th ey kill you.

Made it to level 8 on my second run, with a combination of uzi, bouncing bullets, enemies explode on death, no slowdown when in contact with enemy, and a couple of life upgrades.

In my first run I picked the shotgun, which

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

explosivo posted:

I see that there's a Rift Breaker Prologue on Steam now, I loved this in the demo weekend thing from a bit ago, has anyone tried this prologue and is it the same thing that was in that demo?

I have no idea, because I've never heard of this, but this looks fascinating. Thanks for showing me this, it looks like an ARPG with RTS elements.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fargin Icehole posted:

I have no idea, because I've never heard of this, but this looks fascinating. Thanks for showing me this, it looks like an ARPG with RTS elements.

I thought so too but after trying it it's less of an ARPG and more a twin stick shooter with RTS/Tower Defense elements. It really is a lot of fun and I can't wait for the full release of it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok soooo
Since the Horizon Zero Dawn port has completely poo poo the bed and isn't worth the joules of energy it would take to click the add to cart button, which third person story driven adventure from my backlog should I play instead to mourn the passing of what should have been a great experience?

Enslaved: Oddessey to the West
A Plague Tale
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
Quantum Break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

explosivo posted:

Looks like it's the same demo from before.

Cactus posted:

which third person story driven adventure from my backlog should I play instead to mourn the passing of what should have been a great experience?

Hellblade then Plague Tale