Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sininu posted:

I'm curious why they didn't just round it, or why even mention it when they uploaded it in 30. I thought it would be 60 at first and felt really weird looking at it, like they had messed up frame pacing or something, but it wasn't like that after all.

Antigravitas posted:

Old TV legacy rate. Probably recorded via capture card that uses old TV rate for reasons.

Not just old TVs. My primary monitor, a Dell u2715h, has a refresh rate of 59.951 Hz, and my secondary u2415 is 59.95 Hz. It is pretty weird, especially as both were marketed with a 60 Hz refresh.

Oxxidation posted:

being unfun gets you a pass in a lot of horror games, clunkiness is practically a genre mainstay. but the medium is just badly designed all over - lame puzzles, repetitive environments, outside threats are usually limited to scripted chase sequences, and of course that spoilered section. a man's girlfriend was captured and killed by the nazis and the trauma of that apparently drove him to molest kids. the game expects this to be a sympathetic moment. it also ends on a smash-to-black cliffhanger, because of course it does

everything bloober team has released gives the horror genre a bad name

That is about the dumbest 'justification' they could possibly have used. What an awful game.

e.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It gets worse. That's part of a message of like, a cycle of trauma thing. The ending suggests the only way to break the cycle is to kill the abused victim to prevent them from becoming an abuser.

:chloe:

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Downloaded the demo of outriders and goddam that's some tediously generic flimflam

AAAgame.txt

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ambaire posted:

Not just old TVs. My primary monitor, a Dell u2715h, has a refresh rate of 59.951 Hz, and my secondary u2415 is 59.95 Hz. It is pretty weird, especially as both were marketed with a 60 Hz refresh.

That is about the dumbest 'justification' they could possibly have used. What an awful game.

It gets worse. That's part of a message of like, a cycle of trauma thing. The ending suggests the only way to break the cycle is to kill the abused victim to prevent them from becoming an abuser.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Holy poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hell yeah. I backed this game. Twice. It owns.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Well that makes things a lot more appealing from the last time I tried it. the AI War games always looked appealing but were very complicated and confusing to actually play.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sailor Dave posted:

Well that makes things a lot more appealing from the last time I tried it. the AI War games always looked appealing but were very complicated and confusing to actually play.

AI War 2 is still confusing and highly complex, but you can tune the difficulty settings so that it becomes a puzzle without much time pressure, so you have time to plan your moves properly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Does it at least have a stupid justification like an evil demon who infects and corrupts via abuse, so killing the victim is tragic but "justified" to kill the demon, or is it just that stupid pop psych thing taken to the extreme?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ymgve posted:

Does it at least have a stupid justification like an evil demon who infects and corrupts via abuse, so killing the victim is tragic but "justified" to kill the demon, or is it just that stupid pop psych thing taken to the extreme?

Abuse grows a demon in your head who makes you do abuse down the line

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd better go kill Bloober Team before I make a terrible game

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why does/did The Medium get so much hype and carry in the first place?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Croccers posted:

the devs wholesale copied silent hill's aesthetic, right down to the fixed camera angles and akira yamaoka on the soundtrack. good for getting clicks on trailers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Croccers posted:

It's an Xbox exclusive (console-wise) and the Xbox is so starved for exclusives that anything they get gets hyped

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It also got some rave reviews from people I actually kinda liked.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ymgve posted:

Sorta, I would make it more akin to a rabid dog. It's not the dogs fault it got rabies but you have a real problem on your hands if you don't destroy it. Since the victim is "blameless" (although I think they are at fault for rabid dog killing a lot of people?) the ending is unclear on what happens as not being rabid may be a solution. The pedophile otoh, while being a victim of trauma too, is killed because that's not an excuse for being a pedophile and also embracing the rabies. I don't think the game said that the pedophiles victim would eventually be an abuser (and spread the rabies) , but rather that the victim is going to keep killing because the rabies is in control.

I didn't think the game made the pedophile sympathetic, it was more that blooper wanted to explain why the rabid dog got rabies and why it would spread the rabies, and did so extremely clumsily because blooper is obsessed with chasing the silent hill 2 dragon in an "all the monsters are traumas" thing. Blair Witch did this too, it can't just be that the Blair witch is a reality distorting monster that hunts you, no, it also has to be that you're a war criminal and the ghosts are all past sins. Also everything in the medium had to be connected, which really grated on me - why can't the protagonist be an outside observer investigating what happened without any ties to the monster (oh wait, gotta have that trauma).

I thought the game was ok but I'm a sucker for horror and the first half or so made me think that blooper wasn't going to do their usual shtick. Also some parts look really good on a big screen in a way that a YouTube vid isn't going to convey.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did anyone get any messages from stolen accounts lately? I got a message saying I am being impersonated and looking it up. Could be a scam, but not taking chances.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 15, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did anyone get any messages from stolen accounts lately? I got a message saying I am being impersonated and looking it up. Looks to be a scam, but not taking chances.

Did they change tactics? There was one going around where they were like "I have to get in touch with you asap" and if you respond they claim they VAC reported your account by mistake and you need to contact support. Of course, the link they give you to support isn't real.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Croccers posted:

Probably because it had a very striking appearance based on the works of Polish artist Beksinski - many of the locations in the game's "otherworld" are essentially his haunting works rendered in 3D.

But the gameplay just consists of linear paths through corridors and simplistic puzzles. The "boss fights" suck... and the less said about the story the better. It's only really interesting as a graphical showcase where you can walk around inside strange environments.

EDIT: Oh, and as mentioned above, Akira Yamaoka was involved somehow (the game barely has a soundtrack though). That automatically got the Silent Hill fans interested.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ymgve posted:

Did they change tactics? There was one going around where they were like "I have to get in touch with you asap" and if you respond they claim they VAC reported your account by mistake and you need to contact support. Of course, the link they give you to support isn't real.
That is the one, but not the VAC report. I blocked him and reported after posting. I wish Steam didn't list people as level 0 for reasons. He likely is a new account, but people are cowards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Probably because it had a very striking appearance based on the works of Polish artist Beksinski - many of the locations in the game's "otherworld" are essentially his haunting works rendered in 3D.

He's one of those artists with such an insanely distinct aesthetic that anything trying for that style is immediately going to get a ton of buzz. I don't think anyone else has come close to presenting concepts of existential horror and dread in such a terrifying way. It's like saying you're making a game inspired by H.R Giger.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
For the people in here who like squad tactics stuff, this just came out:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266890/Tactical_Troops_Anthracite_Shift/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVwAIvnuTA

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This game isn't by the same devs and it's different from it, but it's making my brain light up with joy over finding something that feels the same as Strain Tactics. Thank you so so much for sharing it here!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

He's one of those artists with such an insanely distinct aesthetic that anything trying for that style is immediately going to get a ton of buzz. I don't think anyone else has come close to presenting concepts of existential horror and dread in such a terrifying way. It's like saying you're making a game inspired by H.R Giger.

Lust from Beyond I mention straight up says its influenced on Lovecraft, Giger and Beksinski.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSrkABgKB4

But yea Beksinski has gotten a lot of attention lately. The very end of the Astarties Animated series current features a landscape heavily based on his artwork.

This is a pretty good overview of his works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRB4sdbIcw

also

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So Metamorphosis is on sale for 70% off. Has anyone played this? I'm a Franz Kafka nerd and love short games so I want to play it badly but I have some hang ups:

• The ASMR voice in the trailer is really grating to me. I can't abide that poo poo. Is that a thing throughout the game or is it momentary? Is there a lot of it or just a little?
  • I expect a certain amount of allegorical ambiguity from something based on Kafka and would be real annoyed if the story and themes turned out to be explicitly obvious boiler plate stuff. Does it leave itself open for interpretation?
  • I like to imagine Gregor transformed into a horse because of how thoroughly The Metamorphosis has been beaten into the ground. Does this game's story stand on it's own or is it a general retelling?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

treat posted:

So Metamorphosis is on sale for 70% off. Has anyone played this? I'm a Franz Kafka nerd and love short games so I want to play it badly but I have some hang ups:

This is all the Franz Kafka i need :rock:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd hoped it was exactly what I thought it was and I wasn't disappointed.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I am pleasantly surprised to report that the SaGa Frontier 1 remaster, released today, is fantastic.

It ran perfectly (for the 3 or so hours I played tonight, anyway), the QoL improvements are great, the upscaled sprites are adorable and fit the visual aesthetic perfectly (contra e.g., those awful-looking FF6 remaster sprites), and there's new poo poo added that I haven't seen yet like Fuse's campaign (previously Japan only). There's even the option to turn the new poo poo off if you're a purist weirdo.

My only complaint so far is that the button remapping options on controller are sort of odd. The menu button can only be mapped to X or Y and nothing else, but then there's a button for quicksaving that can only be mapped to Y or Y+RT, so you can't change the menu from X to Y because it overlaps with the quicksave button (even if you set quicksave to Y+RT so just Y should be freed up). Maybe they'll fix that in a patch, but by then I'll be used to the default controls and won't care anymore

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I'd hoped it was exactly what I thought it was and I wasn't disappointed.

Home Movies is so loving great.

DON'T KILL CHILDREN, DON'T RUN 'EM OVER / LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIVES, LET THEM GET OLDER

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat horror queefs posted:

I am pleasantly surprised to report that the SaGa Frontier 1 remaster, released today, is fantastic.

It ran perfectly (for the 3 or so hours I played tonight, anyway), the QoL improvements are great, the upscaled sprites are adorable and fit the visual aesthetic perfectly (contra e.g., those awful-looking FF6 remaster sprites), and there's new poo poo added that I haven't seen yet like Fuse's campaign (previously Japan only). There's even the option to turn the new poo poo off if you're a purist weirdo.

My only complaint so far is that the button remapping options on controller are sort of odd. The menu button can only be mapped to X or Y and nothing else, but then there's a button for quicksaving that can only be mapped to Y or Y+RT, so you can't change the menu from X to Y because it overlaps with the quicksave button (even if you set quicksave to Y+RT so just Y should be freed up). Maybe they'll fix that in a patch, but by then I'll be used to the default controls and won't care anymore

Yeah I put some time into it, and I'm very impressed. The QoL stuff is really nice, especially the "Story" option in the menu that tells you what you're supposed to be doing next, that was always a problem in the original. The sprites look REALLY nice, as do the backgrounds, the only parts that are still a little blurry are in battle, where it's actually being rendered in 3D.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

drat horror queefs posted:

I expected Mesarthim to wear seashells, but someone might mod it or leave it as it was in the original. Looking forward to see what Fuse will do.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is anything on the Steam Capcom sale (other than Res Evil 4) a don't-miss? I've heard the dog painting one is pretty good

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Monster Hunter

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
RE2make is one of the best games I've played in recent memory. At 60% off, it's a no-brainer.

sad question
May 30, 2020

There's a game about painting dogs?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sad question posted:

There's a game about painting dogs?

How about taking photos of dogs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGCWrD3-IC8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sad question posted:

There's a game about painting with dogs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9bJsvmdvo

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Begemot posted:

The sprites look REALLY nice, as do the backgrounds, the only parts that are still a little blurry are in battle, where it's actually being rendered in 3D.

Ah... that all looks really ugly though?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hate to say this but seeing SaGa Frontier 1 in higher resolution only makes me appreciate SaGa Frontier 2's hand-painted storybook artstyle a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Begemot posted:

Yeah I put some time into it, and I'm very impressed. The QoL stuff is really nice, especially the "Story" option in the menu that tells you what you're supposed to be doing next, that was always a problem in the original. The sprites look REALLY nice, as do the backgrounds, the only parts that are still a little blurry are in battle, where it's actually being rendered in 3D.

The sprites and background kinda look like they just applied a handpainted-looking photoshop filter on everything.