Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

explosivo posted:

The dev was on Giant Bomb a few months ago to show off the game and said that he pretty much got shoehorned into making 2 and 3 when he initially didn't plan to continue past the first one because of how much people wanted a sequel, but is really excited to finally not be making a game anything like CSD so yeah I'm curious to see what's next for them.

I saw that video! Dude was very charming, I thought, I'm super excited too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HopperUK posted:

I saw that video! Dude was very charming, I thought, I'm super excited too.

The weirdest thing about that video is that he said he doesn't actually cook

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

explosivo posted:

The dev was on Giant Bomb a few months ago to show off the game and said that he pretty much got shoehorned into making 2 and 3 when he initially didn't plan to continue past the first one because of how much people wanted a sequel, but is really excited to finally not be making a game anything like CSD so yeah I'm curious to see what's next for them.

He made the right call. As much as I can understand devs want to be creative and do something new each time, it’s not always the right and often can be the bad thing to do if you’re still a smalll dev team with limited funds. A good example of this was Gaslamp Games who made Dungeons of Dredmor (an early Steam roguelike indie darling). It was a neat and good game that really could have used a follow up while the getting was good and still in the common vernacular gaming sphere. Instead they got mbitious trying to make some lovecraftiancity steampunk city building survival game trying to bite off way more than they could chew and spent years making a terrible tech demo in limbo until they just one day took the alpha label off, called it finished, and then closed up shop for good. Had they made Dungeons of Dredmor 2 and maybe an action spinoff as well they could built up a lot of cash reserves and goodwill/bigger name brand and then go make their ambitious indie dreamgame

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

From what I hear it's actually difficult and may require a brain to play, which hasn't been true of a Pokemon game for some time now

Having hardcore gameplay is truly what I want when I think of Pokemon.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

He made the right call. As much as I can understand devs want to be creative and do something new each time, it’s not always the right and often can be the bad thing to do if you’re still a smalll dev team with limited funds. A good example of this was Gaslamp Games who made Dungeons of Dredmor (an early Steam roguelike indie darling). It was a neat and good game that really could have used a follow up while the getting was good and still in the common vernacular gaming sphere. Instead they got mbitious trying to make some lovecraftiancity steampunk city building survival game trying to bite off way more than they could chew and spent years making a terrible tech demo in limbo until they just one day took the alpha label off, called it finished, and then closed up shop for good. Had they made Dungeons of Dredmor 2 and maybe an action spinoff as well they could built up a lot of cash reserves and goodwill/bigger name brand and then go make their ambitious indie dreamgame

weren't some of these folks goons? i remember the clockwork empires dev thread in this forum but the game always seemed like it was stuck in alpha jank hell and just didn't have a coherent sort of anything really

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Samuringa posted:

Having hardcore gameplay is truly what I want when I think of Pokemon.

There's no point to having balance, stats, moves or even battles really when all you have to do is level your starter and just stomp the world.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

weren't some of these folks goons? i remember the clockwork empires dev thread in this forum but the game always seemed like it was stuck in alpha jank hell and just didn't have a coherent sort of anything really

Yeah, the lead dev used to post in the Dredmor thread a lot too.

It’s a real shame- if they were still around even just porting Dredmor to Switch would have given them a huge cash boost to fund their more out there projects. Dredmor is still my favorite rogue like by far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Being worse than Valhalla is pretty damning

I think "not up to par" means "less of the poo poo VA-likers inexplicably like"

for instance CT probably does not have characters whose only purpose is to be references to Seinfeld or Yiik

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

luxury handset posted:

Yep, lead. I don’t think he posts anymore. I even told him that Clockwork seemed like an overly ambitious idea that was likely not going to work when it was just concept art phase and they should cash in on a sequel while it was still in darling sphere and had an existing framework and infrastructure to build off and improve with relatively spenditure. Now I’m sure most people haven’t even heard of Dredmor but so it goes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dredmor was the first really big roguelike on Steam at a time when the store was still a closed market, pretty sure almost everyone with an account over ten years old at least heard of it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember not enjoying it but it also stood out before there were more similar games on the store. They probably could've done better making a sequel, yea.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hindsight's 20/20, guys.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kennel posted:

FTL added achievements and they activate retroactively once you start the game.

They did this recently or do you mean the in-game achievements?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Plague Tale: Innocence is only $18 this weekend. It's at least the second-best game about bad rats on Steam.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

They did this recently or do you mean the in-game achievements?
They just added them to Steam.

https://twitter.com/subsetgames/status/1223011633368203264

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Neat.

One of these days I'm gonna unlock that Crystal Ship B.

I should notch more wins on Normal too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ah hell, now people will know I've only ever won on Easy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dias posted:

Hindsight's 20/20, guys.

In this case a lot of people figured Clockwork Empires was a bad move before they were even done releasing Dredmor expansion packs.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently that Elderborn game released today. Might throw 12 bucks at it.

https://twitter.com/ELDERBORNgame/status/1222955505796165632

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The prestigious website windowscentral.com seems to think it's good! Well actually it says it MIGHT be good, the review seems to be a preview from September 2018

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The prestigious website windowscentral.com seems to think it's good! Well actually it says it MIGHT be good, the review seems to be a preview from September 2018

Yeah, I might wait for a few more reviews. If anyone even reviews it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'll never understand why so many small development houses fall for the well-documented siren song of scope creep by making a project into a bigger, more complex and less manageable monster, and doing it for free or super cheap. Yes, Minecraft, Terraria, and Factorio are shining examples that it's possible to make money on that model, but for every developer that barely scrapes by on revenue from updating one of their first games basically forever there are thousands who tried and failed. You're basically guaranteed to crash on the rocks of ever-increasing costs and ever-diminishing revenue.

I love Dungeons of Dredmor. It's great. But that book probably should have closed a lot sooner than it did, and their next project should have been a smaller scope than Clockwork. Why can't small developers wrap their heads around finishing a drat game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
whoever wrote the dialogue for blasphemous was trying very hard for portentous loquaciousness and overshot the mark a little

some of this syntax is so knotty that by the time i reach the end of a sentence i don't have enough breadcrumbs to get home

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plastik posted:

I'll never understand why so many small development houses fall for the well-documented siren song of scope creep by making a project into a bigger, more complex and less manageable monster, and doing it for free or super cheap. Yes, Minecraft, Terraria, and Factorio are shining examples that it's possible to make money on that model, but for every developer that barely scrapes by on revenue from updating one of their first games basically forever there are thousands who tried and failed. You're basically guaranteed to crash on the rocks of ever-increasing costs and ever-diminishing revenue.

I love Dungeons of Dredmor. It's great. But that book probably should have closed a lot sooner than it did, and their next project should have been a smaller scope than Clockwork. Why can't small developers wrap their heads around finishing a drat game?

Minecraft and Terraria also started doing it after they were super succesful

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Wow, GOG Galaxy functions as an every launcher are neat. I especially like the list view that shows all the play times. E: It's in-depth.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Jamfrost posted:

Wow, GOG Galaxy functions as an every launcher are neat. I especially like the list view that shows all the play times. E: It's in-depth.
The play time stats screen made me question my life choices.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

Control

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dwarf fortress

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Football manager 2020 with every single league and division loaded in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control is the premier ray-tracing game right now and it's also really good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is a demo for the ray tracing version of Quake 2. I believe if you owned Quake 2 before, you got the full version for free. It’s a 20 year old game, but you are not going find any new games with full-blown ray tracing anytime soon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mierenneuker posted:

There is a demo for the ray tracing version of Quake 2. I believe if you owned Quake 2 before, you got the full version for free. It’s a 20 year old game, but you are not going find any new games with full-blown ray tracing anytime soon.

Plus it's by far the best way to play CTF.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

for instance CT probably does not have characters whose only purpose is to be references to Seinfeld or Yiik

Ah, it must not have a child sex worker bot written one-handed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

control is real good and real weird, the best combination

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

Minecraft and Terraria also started doing it after they were super succesful

Honestly I considered leaving Minecraft off the list because it's been more like a slow drip than a torrent of content. Terraria went in waves, but it's easily 5x the game it was on release.

But at the end of the day, if you're not in a financial position to make a Dorf Fortress where you make $0 from game sales and survive on donations and then later Patreon during a decades-long slow-drip development process, you're probably not in a financial position to make a game like that.

Not to say that poor devs shouldn't make games, just maybe they should make a few Snakey Bus level titles before they start their magnum opus.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plastik posted:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

No. The game writing is just plain bad. It is basically using the same premise as that awful Netflix movie Bright and substituting racism against fantasy races for real racism in an extremely sloppily handled metaphor.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Control is the premier ray-tracing game right now and it's also really good.

I forgot that had ray tracing, I played that over the summer on my laptop. Time to install it on the desktop!

So far I’ve only run some benchmarks on it last night and it’s a beast. Can’t wait to see what it can really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

After catching up on the rest of the series, it's pretty amazing how well Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! pulls together all the bits of the previous games and refines them down to something special. It's still in Early Access, but already I'm having more fun with it than I ever did in 1 or 2.

The original Cook, Serve, Delicious! had you toiling away in a rags-to-riches tale of culinary success, assuming you could get a grip on the cooking and deal with the glacial progression. Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! upped the antes across the board, offering you your own restaurant to build up, others to temp at, and a litany of absurdly difficult foods to cook and manage. Where does the series go from there? It seems the folks behind these deviously delightful games have finally zeroed in on a formula that completely works, cutting away the cruft that developed around CSD2 and punching up the progression from CSD1. Wrapped in a madcap tale of a future gone awry, this is easily the pinnacle of the series no matter how you slice it.

The year is 2042, America is at war, and your restaurant in the Teragon Supertower is a five-star world-class establishment. Or it was, until it got blown up with the rest of the tower. You are the sole survivor, rescued by a pair of emergency response androids who recognize you and offer to get you back on your feet. They offer their van up as a food truck, and whisk you away on a whirlwind tour of this new America to serve its people and rebuild your reputation. As you gather funds to upgrade the truck, you learn of a food truck championship to be held in the new national capital of Nashville, Tennessee, the perfect opportunity for you to reclaim your place at the pinnacle of the culinary world. But it’s going to be a lot of work getting there, and not everyone who approaches your truck will be looking for a meal.

The story is one hell of a curveball if you weren’t paying attention to the emails in the previous two games, but it provides a much-needed shakeup for the setting and your establishment. Functionally, the food truck operates much like your restaurant from CSD2, starting you off with seven prep stations and four holding stations. However, instead of days, your shifts are distinct levels on the map that you can retry any time. Each level has a different array of food for you to build a menu out of, with different requirements for quantity and challenge level. Foods are very clearly labeled with a difficulty rating from 0 to 5, if they need or can use a holding station, and often come in diverse thematic groups so you can build your menu however you want for the trip.

Once you set off, you’ll have a number of stops you have to make. Prior to arriving at each stop, you’ll have a menu telling you how many of each of your holding station foods will be needed. This allows you to plan ahead and prepare as many meals as possible, but you’ll also be getting special orders during this time from your short order menu. Much of the challenge this time around is in the planning and preparation, because the actual serving is smartly boiled down to just the rushes at each stop. If your timing and planning is on point, each stop will be tricky but manageable. Foul up your prep, and you haven’t got a prayer of filling all your orders. There are some additional improvements to help you handle the chaos, like a shortcut key for serving everything that’s ready to go at once, dedicated keys for your holding stations, and truck upgrades that can shore up the weak points of your system.

It’s honestly a brilliant system once you come to grips to the new structure. All the downtime between lunch and dinner rushes has been eliminated, chores are gone, and the holding station system has become a focus for strategic planning. Breaking the game into levels lets you focus your efforts where you want for better medals, which unlock new levels and a clear path of progression. Beyond that, foods are cheap enough that you can always pick out what you want, and there are so many that it’ll take you ages to collect and learn them all. Those insanely hard recipes from CSD2 are back, but streamlined a little and more clearly labeled so you can work up to them as you like. All the things that felt tedious or directionless about the previous games have been tuned up and combined into a single, polished package.

My only warning is that this one can somehow be even more stressful than the last two. Learning where and when to prep for a stop, and shifting gears to keep the food flowing during a stop, are challenges with a significant learning curve. And just when you start to get a groove, the game will throw new complications at you like enemy food trucks with serious firepower. For those times when you’re not up for a stressful shift, any level can be played in Chill mode which eliminates all the timers, and the only drawback is that you can’t get gold medals for perfect performance (which you don’t need for basic progression anyway). There’s upwards of a hundred levels in right now, and countless foods to serve across them, and these features can only expand as the game works its way through Early Access. Even now, though, this is hands-down the best of the series, and a title that fans of the previous games or even newcomers cannot miss.