Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just started CSD3 and gap between what I remember of CSD1 and my current gameplay experience is vast.

All my stop-and-starting, confused pauses and panics, completely boofing switching between the orders and the holding stations every 15 seconds... it is the biggest sign of my Ongoing Mental Decline. Bronzes as far the eye can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

Yeah I just got CSD3 and played a bit tonight after really only having played CSD1 when it came out, and... I'm loving bad at it and, I don't think I'm feeling good about myself playing it nor see myself improve a lot because I just can't memorize enough hotkeys on 4-5 different pages for enough recipes. Gunna have to chalk it up as one of those "it's a great game that I hate playing and makes me feel too dumb and impotent", sadly

The thing that I remember from CSD1 is that you started with a small menu selection that you would repeat for multiple days so you could build up familiarity with more and more recipes.

At least starting off with CSD3 they throw a bunch of different items at you, plus each level has a different pool of recipes to work with? So it's harder to get a good grasp on things unless I replayed the same level a bunch?

Also lol I am serving so much unhealthy food because I need to fill the menu up with a bunch of easy fryer recipes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

please oil your auto at recommended intervals

I thought the recommended mileage markers they give you are way off base and too frequent creating extra waste, especially if you use synthetics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I was finally convinced I should play Kentucky Route Zero soon. Awesome! I have it cause of Twitch Prime... gently caress, it's only Acts 1-4 :(

I guess I get to rebuy it on Steam?

They pushed out updates to all other platforms that included Act V, if you're not seeing it have you tried re-downloading?

They don't charge separately for acts on the PC so it would be weird to only have up to Act IV

Edit:
https://twitter.com/cardboardcompy/status/1221880962608521221

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol at calling the design of Hellblade "insane" as an insult

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Loathing designer was an abuser

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eliza is really good (it was my #2 game of 2019)

quote:

#02: Eliza (Zachtronics)
Jam to: Nora's Track (composer Matthew Seiji Burns)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr056rCpQ5E
Though this is a Zachtronics game, it's a visual novel at its core (though it has the solitaire game that is the security blanket in every Zachtronics game). The writing and conversations in this game are impeccable; the characters resonated in a way few pieces of narrative (in any medium) did with me this year.
Iconic moment: Beating the expert mode of Kabufuda Solitaire and realizing I am a galaxy brain genius

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Eliza was really good but who seriously wouldn't choose to get with the hot lesbian technodance programmer over all the other end options.

It was one of the things where my "preferred ending" was not in the cards but I am fine with that because that's how literature works. In the last conversation with Nora I indicated that I would be up for "staying over" but for the big choice I chose to go back to work on Eliza. I imagined it as trying to change things from within but you end up just basically being a True Believer. Oh well!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol what why would a gamepad do that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so :effort: that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzgejaMt7X4&t=468s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmHEMDPnpE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah Division 2 has intense menu bloat but it's basically a game about going to the objectives, shooting guys, getting upgrades for your Q/E abilities and equipping gear that has a green number on it, that's 95% of the game.

What still gets my goat is that there still isn't a True DPS number and I have to kludge it from Damage * RPM? Really?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seriously though is there a good way to get True DPS comparisons in Division 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Leal posted:

OK doomer

Doom vr is pretty bad actually

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a Real Time Tactics group

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Disco Elysium. I think you'll enjoy its take on pigs.

As for pig games in general it's...frustrating, but I have to do something similar when playing most shooters as they're so often about being a sociopath who would shoot a civilian. The Division is a highlight here of putting up with some insane politics to get at some really interesting level design. Exploring that NYC is so good. Shooting people in hoodies for trying to live in a ruined NYC is bad.

I bought the Division 2 when it was on sale for like 4 bucks and lol I think I'm over this as well lol. It is also just how empty a loot shooter where the loot is meh feels.

I'm probably gonna play Control, that seems like it would be more fun of a shooty game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

More like Agents of Meh-hem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can I play Half-Life Alyx with an Oculus Quest?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LudoNarraCon is on, no dissonance required

https://twitter.com/FellowTravellr/status/1253730091672260615
Lotta storygames on sale, people should play Wide Ocean Big Jacket for 4 bucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

TIL that there's a group of fans of XCOM who are chuds who really got into it for the "aliens bad humans good" storytelling, and they are FURIOUS that XCOM Chimera Squad features:

- black main characters
- women main characters
- aliens as good guys
- female aliens as good guys
- a nuanced take on what an alien friendly society might look like after a war where both sides did awful things
- "a SJW agenda"

And that's why it has a mixed rating on steam. (along with the other group that are mad because it's XCOM-lite. like. dudes it is literally 10$ they're not trying to rip you off.)

lol of course

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the timer is mostly there to prevent XCOM 1's problem of the best solution to almost any situation being very, very slow movement of the entire team in order to trigger enemy patrols one by one. There are mods to relax or remove it if you feel stressed by it but it's not that bad.

I am really enjoying Chimera Squad's Breach mechanic that's all "let's skip those bounding overwatch slow creep to trigger pods" as a solution. It's definitely a specific feel but it makes sense for the premise here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

I thought it was because once you trigger an enemy they all immediately get to move next and if you arent turtling your way forward suddenly a wave of plasma descends onto the most visible soldiers.

If you're moving slowly, the goal is to catch a pod in an Overwatch Trap. As soon as a pod makes contact with XCOM they will get a free move to scamper into cover, but if your team has Overwatch activated they will get free shots before cover. If you trigger the pod on your turn you probably will not get shots on them before they're in cover

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Overwatch traps are risky because if you use up most of your dudes' moves and some of the aliens still survive, now they get a turn to kill you.

The point of overwatch traps is that if the pod makes contact on their turn, they get blasted and then it's immediately your turn after.

Making contact with pods in the middle of moving on your turn means that you'll get like half a turn of attacks on them before their full turn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Anno posted:

I wonder if Tom Francis is working double time to get Tactical Breach Wizards out sooner to capitalize on the sudden breachmentum.

He's discussed it!
https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1250122471824449537

https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1250123023815806978
https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1250123528831029248

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

On the plus side, playing the tutorial allows you to see the heroism of one Jane Kelly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there any reference in Chimera Squad to XCOM skinning their enemies and using their hides as armor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Targeting is primarily by line of sight, so generally on a map if a soldier can see an enemy you can target it, it will just have bad odds if it's outside effective range.

Snipers by default cannot fire their rifle after moving, that's probably what's getting in the way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not sure if it's been posted already, but Humble is doing another insane Paradox bundle, this time just for DLCs. So if you've been thinking of getting back into EU4, Stellaris, CK2, Battletech, etc. but wanted to wait for a bunch of DLC to be heavily discounted, well here's your chance:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-strategy-dlc-build-your-own-bundle/

Basically every DLC that wasn't released in the last 6 months starts off at 53% off, and if you bundle together 3+ items then the additional discount on the cart total ranges from 60-65%. So you're looking at up to an 84% discount overall

For the past four years, I have been buying Paradox DLC in sales without ever actually getting back into the game and playing them...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalyjFKBHvI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ugh making another game account... :effort:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

WIDE
OCEAN
BIG
JACKET

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does Golden still have the scene where the fat girl destroys your bike by sitting on it or Yosuke threatening someone because he thinks they're gay

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Griftlands is pretty drat cool, y'all

I think I might like it more than Slay the Spire

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I watched a bit of a stream of it and it seemed very generic, like I didn't pay too much attention to the mechanical aspects of what was going on but it looked almost identical to Torchlight 2 to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today my brother inducted me in the forbidden arts of Magic

Thoughts: it is stupid complicated, commander decks are hilariously oversized, and yet I won! I won!!!! My brother summoned like 32 6/6 worms so I countered by playing a flying leviathan thing that couldn't be blocked and it kept things from attacking which was the most hilarious kind of bullshit to stop a zerg rush.

Anyways so I'm in here to ask: what's the best PC game for playing Magic? I'm familiar enough with it now that I'd be down for playing solo Magic.

Magic the Gathering Arena is the more popular and easier of the two online services they have, it's very easy to get into. It's not single-player but getting into quick online matches is very straightforward.

Alternatively Shandalar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MTG Arena is perfectly playable without spending a dime, unless you are susceptible to cute pet minions

Anyway there's a thread over in this direction if you want to learn more https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897805

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Serephina posted:

Don't these games need a fair amount of grind before you can build&play the deck you actually want to? Some people enjoy that but its a very different way of playing CCGs.

The way MTG Arena's reward system works, new players get 15 different starter decks off the bat so they can get a feel for the different colors, and enough gold/wildcards to build almost any Standard deck of their choosing within, say, a week or so of daily play just from free rewards. For most people who just want to play standard matches and maybe a limited event every week or so, this tends to be fine.

The pain points where you might feel like you need to grind and/or pay would be: if you wanted to build 3 or more different competitive Standard decks right now, if you wanted to build an Historic deck (with cards that have rotated out of Standard), if you wanted to play prerelease events with the newest set, or if you wanted to draft a bunch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thinking about getting either Treachery in Beatdown City or Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, tough decision

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

I've never played Treachery in Beatdown City, but I have played Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. Despite looking River City Ransom as gently caress it's not really much of a beat'em up at all, being more of a melancholic high school hoodlum slice of life simulator. Lots of wandering around, terse conversations in slightly bad English, stat grinding, that kinda thing. I bounced off it hard, but I can see how it'd appeal.

Thanks, I ended up going with Treachery... also Sunless Skies and Outer Wilds (the latter being what I immediately jumped into and am now obsessed with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spoke Lee posted:

Any good games come out aping Slay The Spire? Also how and Stellar Tactics and I Am Not A Monster?

Griftlands! :supaburn: