Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

pentyne posted:

Before the sale ends, are there any good/great "walking simulators"? I already have Outer Wilds, Firewatch, and Edith Finch.

Observation
Obduction
Eastshade

halokiller fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Parkitech has better sim gameplay, Planetcoaster has better coaster construction.

Now I wish we had a Parkitech equivalent to the citybuilder genre to complement Cities:Skylines.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I really liked Exodus, but not as a Metro game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, it just didn't feel... well, Metroy. And I don't mean the jump to open world in itself (although that may have contributed), just the overall mood of the game; the last level is the closest it gets to that 2033/LL feeling.

Definitely agree. Appreciate them for doing something different with the formula, but I think they went too much in the other direction by trying to make each open world level different from each other. You see this most in the Caspian level which might as well just be renamed Mad Max.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

For those who started playing Obsidian's Grounded, is there an actual underlying story or is it more like ARK with bugs?

Edit: Ugh didn't know it was another EA game

halokiller fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 29, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

ErrEff posted:

Lol, Grounded immediately warns me about the giant spiders and mentions an Arachnophobia safe mode that allows tweaking their appearance from full-on spiders with legs and mandibles to a white blobby thing.

It also has singleplayer, somehow I expected this to be a multiplayer-only thing.

Heh hopefully Grounded gives me that same dread the way you fight the giant alien insects in EDF.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Fall Guys is one of the free PS+ games this month if you happen to have an account. Also on the fence about it, though it does feel like a game where you'll dick around for an hour or two and then never touch it again.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

For those wondering about Fall Guys, you get a good idea of it if you'll like it or not within the 2-hr refund window since that's how much content is there so far. It's like if Warioware only had a handful of minigames. It's good price of free on PSN+, but $20 is a bit steep.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 6, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The image quality got some significant praise but the performance was pretty lacking. Especially compared to Death Stranding which just absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Even though both games use the same engine, apparently Death Stranding was handled in-house by KojiPro while Horizon was outsourced to another company. :effort:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

If you don't give a poo poo about certain cars in the car packs, base + expansion is fine.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Should let you use your own music, oh wait they patched that out because Microsoft wanted you to use that feature with the now dead Groove Music.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

Hence why a more realistic take, where you can arc hot liquid death over walls and for better range would be a welcome change.

That's why the lava gun from Ratchet & Clank 2 is the best flamethrower.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Control is good but it suffers from the Alan Wake problem where LESS combat and gameplay would make it a better game.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Morter posted:

Folks, I want to do some trucking, some hauling, some moving of goods from one place to another, preferably at my own pace, or let me choose the route.

I've played plenty of Elite: Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator, (a bit of) American Truck Simulator, and the Rebel Galaxy Games.

I'm in the mood for something more simmy. I only just upgraded my ship in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but trading doesn't work super well, and it's all very low quantities of items. I loved trading in Elite: Dangerous, but the almost constant threat of Elite ships (once you get high rank) just makes it a tedium. Plus I have just about everything I want.

I'm mildly considering Snowrunners, but after watching gameplay, I realize it's less driving and more about fighting nature, and winches. Holy poo poo, winches. Also, there seems to be a limited amount of jobs in Snowrunner, which would cut down on the replayability, so I'll just wait until a discount.

So, besides the aforementioned games, are there games I should look at? Or should I stick with what I have? Obviously, open to other platforms besides Steam.

-No Man's Sky
-Death Stranding
-Cloudpunk
-Microsoft Flight Simulator in a few days

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I see we're back to the hot takes segment in the Steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Orv posted:

I reached that point with 4Xs a few years ago, which is an intense bummer to me because they were one of if not my top genres for many years but I think there just wasn't a lot of new stuff being done. Granted, it's an incredibly hard genre to innovate in and not end up just loving things up even harder than the pretty slim sin of having stuff people have done before. Maybe that'll unfuck itself in my brain one day, like it did with ARPGs.

I have high hopes for Distant Worlds 2 because Distant Worlds is one of the only 4Xs I keep coming back to since even with its jank and many flaws, it blows all the other ones out of the water.