Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

On the other hand, I already do have a gaming-capable PC and to a lot of people, going to the effort of making and maintaining one just altogether isn't worth the effort. In Japan, which is still one of the primary markets that console games are developed, PC gaming is barely even a thing last I heard.

I was in Osaka the other day and I was surprised to find that Yodobashi Camera had an entire floor exclusively dedicated to building PCs. They had absolutely every part you would need to get a desktop working, from cases to fans, aios, power supplies, SATA cables, mbs, cpus, video cards, the whole works. I also saw more gaming laptops and prebuilt pcs being advertised everywhere, so Japan could be getting interested in PC gaming, especially with the number of Japanese devs putting stuff on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I can't wait to get mad at how needlessly complicated German tanks are to repair.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the solution is to only feature glorious communist equipment in your game and break the chains of licenses.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

They could be aggressively caching, particularly writes.

That might be part of the reason for why they went with 16 gigs of ram. They probably could have gotten away with less if they wanted to.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Odd Mutant posted:

Sold.

In all seriousness, the big thing holding me back is the space. A half a terabyte is nothing these days, ask any PS5 owner. And loading 50 gig games off of a SD card seems downright torturous. Hell, I can imagine it’ll break a few games. And that’s the highest priced model. What are you going to do with half that, let alone 64 gigs?!

I hope there’s a way to crack it open and upgrade the ssd. Let me stick a 2tb drive in there and I’m good.

It supports micro sd cards. You could pop a 2 tb card in there, same as with the switch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Looks like I managed to get a reservation. I got the confirmation email and it shows up in my account purchase history.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Apparently if you log out and log back in it fixes the "account too new" problem.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

mysteryberto posted:

I’m the “ #resevation_fulfillment_estimate_1”

This preorder went about as expected with bots slamming the system and a big tech company failing to scale their system to handle the load.

How many bots had accounts with purchases on them though? I think the measure must have filtered the vast majority of them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As somone who has a steam controller. The touchpads make for terrible d-pads, however, they work really well for looking around in shooters. I played warframe with a steam controller for a long time and had no problems keeping up with mouse aimers.

Who knows if the touchpads on the steam deck will be comparable though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know there's a 100% chance that the steam deck is going to be made in china. But part of me hopes valve would find a way to assemble it in the US, like they did with the steam controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

I don't think you got what I'm saying. If the Steam Deck becomes a huge hit, then there might be a temptation for developers to tailor their future titles to the install base, and create games better suited for mobile. If complex simulations, strategy games, rpgs, etc, prove to be less popular on the Steam Deck than games that are simpler, then future development could be influenced by the desire to appeal to the install base.

The existence of the steam deck won't make all other computers disappear. Also the steam deck can be plugged into a monitor with a keyboard and mouse. Valve demonstrated Crusader Kings 3 being played that way. Having another option for playing your games is not a threat. If anything it will encourage developers better optimize their games and make linux versions. It's not like Paradox is going to stop making grand strategy games because the steam deck exists.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's weird that I bounce off Rimworld every time I try to get into it. Dwarf Fortress is extremely my thing, I can really get into designing and maintaining a multi-level subterranean base for dwarves, but for whatever reason I can't get into Rimworld.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I bet I'm going to be the absolute last Q1 person to get the email.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I used to play Destiny 2 a lot until they decided to "sunset" all the cool guns I had been collecting for years. I deleted it and haven't looked back since.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Sunsetting was absolute poo poo garbage and I likewise uninstalled over it, but the system has been removed. guns in your inventory that were sunset are still sunset (they couldn’t reasonably undo this part after already tricking people into deleting half of their vault), but almost anything you get now does not have an expiration date on it anymore, so you can get guns from the moon/dreaming city/etc again and they’ll be fine.

I reinstalled once a critical mass of my favorite guns were reissued, but I kinda keep the game at arm’s length now after having seen how readily they were willing to straight up ruin it for extremely cynical reasons, and I wouldn’t blame anyone for not coming back even if the system is gone.

You do you, but the sunsetting pissed me off to the point that not only do I refuse to play any Bungie games anymore, I also pretty much refuse to play any "live service" rpgs anymore. If the whole point of the game is to grind for loot and they can just delete or disable your loot at will, I'm not going to bother with it. I'll only play another game like Destiny if it can be played offline and I can backup my own saves at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Astrox imperium is basically single player eve online.