Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Hi, looking for some recommendations. I'm completely burned out with AAA games. I gave Disco Elysium a shot, really enjoyed the little I got to play, but sadly had to give up because my schedule made it impossible to keep up with what the gently caress was going on, or remember what character I talked to on my last session. I only have time, every now and then, to play an hour or two before bed, making it really hard to commit to a game of that magnitude.

So, I'm looking for something board gamesy -- relatively simple, yet challenging (and fun), you can play in short sessions and easily jump back in anytime. Something in the vein of Puzzle Quest, maybe?

Edit: Will definitely give DE another go when/if things go back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Thank you all for the recommendations <3

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Desktop Dungeons is exactly what you’re looking for. It looks like a rogue lite but it’s really a puzzle game. Perfect to play in small doses.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Seconding Into the Breach; it can be kind of brutal and you often have to consider your moves carefully, but good for short sessions and feels kind of board gamey.

Extremely my poo poo, thanks guys!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Hey guys, looking for some coop (online is fine, she has her own laptop) game recommendations for my wife.

Here's a quick list of games she enjoys:

-Minecraft
-Overcooked 1&2
-Moving Out
-Quest Hunters
-Stardew Valley
-Cattails
-Phasmophobia
-Tetris

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Is The Survivalists really that bad?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Are the Lakeview Cabin games worth it?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To be honest, the only one I have any experience with is Lakeview Valley, the one that is very loosely described like a "Stardew Valley". But it's like barely anything resembling Stardew Valley. You''re not really growing crops, and you can have anonymous sex with people in the woods and murder townsfolk and wear their faces as a mask.

It's not a bad game--and it lets you interact with the game's systems in some pretty clever ways--but there are so many secrets and layers upon layers to the game...and many of them are necessarily intuitive, I guess you could say? Like, it's a game that ostensibly encourages you to jump in blind and unravel mysteries and figure things out firsthand, but then you'll look up how to do something and think, "how the hell would I ever figure that out?" I also encountered some bugs, which I suppose is to be expected when the developer seems to be a 1-man operation and the game is as complex and weird as it is.

I get the impression that the other games are similarly filled with strange/esoteric stuff that could really be satisfying to figure out on your own, but in all likelihood are going to involve some visits to wikis and forums for assistance.

Is it worth $14.99? I'm not sure, really. I think I paid $5.99 (or something) for it when it went on sale a while back, and I don't feel ripped off or anything. And actually, I have this recurring urge to jump back into it...but then I think about having to relearn everything and I change my mind.

Thank you kindly for your informative post!

I'm kinda interested in checking that one out when it goes on sale.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

bentacos posted:

I will probably never 100% Yakuza 0 because I cannot get a high enough score on the arcade games except for Super Hang-On for some reason. I got that on my first try.

Same, but the baseball minigame. Those loving curveballs get me every single time.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Paradox bought Prison Architect and is releasing DLC for it and.......the DLC is apparently lifting mods from the workshop and reselling them so that's great!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1493470/Prison_Architect__Going_Green/

Just lol at anyone who still defends Paradox.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Thinking about picking up the Arkham games. Did they ever fix Arkham Knight? I remember reading the pc version was an unplayable mess back in the day.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Even back in the day it worked fine on my PC as long as I turned off all of the random Nvidia nonsense (hairworks, something that made like a million newspapers constantly fly around, and some sort of overdone fog effect if I recall). From what I've gathered it's pretty hit or miss on different systems so you may have to try it to be sure. The Arkham games are all great in their own way though.

Thanks!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah, Arkham Knight's issues are still a dice roll but you'll be able to tell immediately if you're gonna have problems so you can just refund it. I got it as part of a video card deal price error for like a dollar so :shrug:

The only issue I've had so far is that it took forever to launch for some reason (same with City). I turned off all the fancy Nvidia effects like the other goon suggested and messed around a bit. So far, so good.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Arkham Knight owns.

Yeah, it does. I think it's my fave game in the series (haven't played Origins yet but plan to start it tonight, so that might change). I'm one of the few who didn't mind the Batmobile sections :shrug:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Any recommendations for a good steering wheel for under $200? I've developed an addiction to American Truck Driver for reasons I cannot explain.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Huntdown owns.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Has anyone else been unable to start Mass Effect since the last update?

Edit: Never mind, fixed the problem

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2021

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

What are some good X-Com like (gameplay wise)?

Edit: I already have Invisible Inc

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Gas Station Simulator is an ugly, buggy, repetitive mess and I can't stop playing it.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

It gets pretty hectic and I love the idea of someone pulling up to my gas station only to see the crazed owner madly sprinting between the pumps, the garage, and store while screaming at that motherfucker Dennis to get out of here

I like having the walls covered with giant winged dicks and flying saucers

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Givin posted:

Is it still outselling Deathloop?

Not anymore.

StarkRavingMad posted:

also when the on duty cop comes in at like 1 in the afternoon and buys three beers, a bottle of wine, and a can of pringles. Have a good lunch, officer

Lol

A cop came in the middle of the night to buy 4 copies of the exact same newspaper and a Skyrim helmet.

I love this dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Any game similar to Tenchu? I know there's that Souls one, but I'm burned out on those.