Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
tbh Destiny over Warframe

Warframe is fun, but its grinding for the sake of grinding. Every time I join the goon guild is super welcoming and it's super fun, but also after I "get into the rhythm" and start working towards goals I realize everything is weeks/months away of just....grind.

Destiny has amazing shooting. Fairly decent to great Halo style campaigns, and good gear progression ( can farm up a perfect rolled Legendary, or just do a quest for a "Pinnacle/Ritual" which is 95% good enough as a perfect Legendary. Or use an Exotic which has unique modifiers. ).

More importantly though, Destiny's grind leads to something. PvP in Destiny is probably my favorite FPS right now, in no small part due to the announcer. If you cant stand traditional PvP you also have tons of goofy game modes like everyone gets a rocket launcher, or infinite supers which are just dumb fun.

If you don't like PvP you can do Gambit, this competitive PvE thing with lite PvP elements.

If you want pure PvE its got some of the best puzzle solving raids in gaming. Really unique things that are more then just dps checks but skill checks. Or Strikes and Nightfalls, which are psuedo dungeons you can run with randos for good loot/fun.

The grind is also more fair? In Warframe the grind leads to ingame currency you can trade with whales to get Primes. In Destiny you grind for titles, which require you to do a lot of xyz task, so having one proves you really like xyz.

Destiny is a game I'll keep installed and play regularly after I do everything. Warframe is a game I play for 12 hours, realize I have other stuff I want to play, then quit every few years.

Also now is like the best time to jump into Destiny because they are moving the plot forward. Jump in now and you'll be largely caught up. Jump in next year and its going to be kind of weird because people will be dead/back/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

I've seen this quote so many times, and now I absolutely want to know.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

don't spoil it

like i know there's a statute of limitations on this stuff and HZD isn't exactly new, but spoiling this one would be absolutely criminal

I won't.

I'm also amazed because I thought the dude just sucked and it was a goon thing, but apparently it's more then that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is very interesting since PlayStation 5 is using AMD / ATI for its CPU and GPU, so hiring with familiarity with Nvidia does lean very heavily into PC releases.

I mean frankly it feels like we are past the age of consoles in more ways then one.

Also what does Sony care, the people who buy a PC port are never going to buy a Ps5. But by getting them into the Playstation/Sony ecosystem they push their brand. Especially with Sony trying to get into more then just electronics. Are you tied enough into the brand to buy a Sony car?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Legacy of Kain bundle on Fanatical

For less than four bucks you can play gothic zelda and listen to some of the best voice acting ever made for video games

fyi for everyone. These three games are quite literally some of the best games of the generation, and blow everything else out of the water in more ways then one. They really were modern Zelda/Metroidvania style games and are goddamn incredible. Easily some of my favorite games of all time, and are made in such a modern fashion you'll be amazed going back to them and seeing just how much they did right.

The PC versions however are loving busted. Both the GoG and Steam take 2+ hours per game to get set up on Win10. Because there are 12 different things that could be broken, and you have to trouble shoot every single potential fix. This is fine for Soul Reaver 1 because you can save right after the intro and fiddle with it. Soul Reaver 2 meanwhile has a 17 MINUTE INTRO and you have to watch the whole thing before you find out the game is busted. And you can't reach a save point until you get the right fixes in.

Defiance works right out of the box, whatever.

It says a lot that even saying that I think they are totally worth it. Maybe better to just go download an emulator and play the Ps2 versions but still. I'd easily consider this trilogy gaming masterpieces up there with classics like Morrowind, Deus Ex, BG2, AoE2, Zelda, etc.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would buy a Ps5 if it was backwards compatible with the 2/3/4.

Probably won't otherwise.

As people mentioned, Nintendo stuff is super easy to emulate. Xbox stuff isn't, but outside of Fable 2, Crackdown, Saints Row 1, and the Gears stuff, there really aren't many Xbox only games. And they are sloooowly getting that poo poo working. 5-10ish more years for it.

But the Ps2? Half the games don't work, or have super weird issues. A solid 60% of that library is working due to straight brute force and runs into weird issues. Ps3? Got a couple of the classics, but laffo. Ps4? Not happening anytime soon.

I've whittled down my personal collection to basically just my Playstations and my SNES. It'd be worth $500 just to get those three consoles down to 1.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Epic is so good for gaming.

Don't forget the Ashen devs quite literally saying the game was supposed to be supported further with more character/companion stuff, but they dropped if after the first DLC didn't sell/people weren't playing it.

Which like whatever, old model meets new model. But the bigger issue is the game is still buggy as poo poo, the vaunted co-op has a TON of issues that were supposed to come with a coop patch they dropped, and you can't coop between Epic and Steam.

No point completing the game when you just got the money upfront.

The new!! developer!! future!!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Does that mean you haven't defeated the 4th boss either? Gotta get on that!

Some people seem excited Spellforce 3 is on sale, how is it?

Rad. So are the other Spellforce games, if very aged.

Spellforce 1 is general eurojank RPG with psuedo card collecting to get new units for the RTS sections. It's also got a trippy storyline everyone should experience at least once.

Spellforce 2 is...Warcraft 4 mixed with old Bioware, if it was made on half the budget by Russians who made one of the characters a bikini elf. Everyone else wears full clothing so ????. Its legit a favorite of mine and I go back to it every few years.

I'm phone posting so I can go into more detail later when I get home if people want. To give an example of why Spellforce is cool.

You've got to assassinate this king. You choose which heroes are going to do it, and they have to RPG into a Castle then RPG through it.

The other heroes are outside in an RTS base building an army to hold off the kings army which is coming to save him. These two things are happening at the same time.

Spellforce 3 is amazing. It's got tons of choices/consequences in the campaign, good quests, and fairly deep character building. It's no modern RPG, but it hits the itch.

On top of that is a RTS game where you are playing basically Warcraft 4 or 5.

With the hubbub around Reforged, Spellforce 3 really feels like the Warcraft 4 people wanted. Not as polished obviously, but hits the marks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Since CK2 went F2P a while back and Paradox gave away one of the Goon-approved DLCs for signing up for the CK3 newsletter, I'm getting the itch to try out my first Paradox game. Are all of their games relatively the same except Europa Universalis is colonial times, Hearts of Iron is WW2 era, and Stellaris is space sci-fi? What are the major differences and is your enjoyment largely going to depend on what era you find more interesting?

So. Kinda no to a lot of these questions.

Each game is fairly different. CK2 is a character driven almost visual novel with light mappaint. EU4 is a wargame entirely built around conquest/diplomacy. Stellaris is a pretty traditional 4x. HoI4 is almost survival horror/RTS as you know what's about to happen, and need to prep for it.

Liking the time period helps a lot, yes.

Easiest to get into is technically Ck2 if you understand you don't need to conquer to win. If you try it's one of the harder ones.

Next easiest is probably HoI4, followed by Stellaris. Eu4 is the hardest, and also the most grognardy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Cool, thanks- good to know I'm not missing anything! :)

And I'll challenge him and say it's totally fine.

It's absurdly easy, but it's got the atmosphere and setup you want from a Souls. I enjoyed it for the 24 hours or so it took to beat it, and even went back a second time.

It's got some neat mechanics like beating bosses in certain harder ways gets you better loot.

Is it the next Souls? No, but people weirdly tell people never to touch it when it's fine. If you like Souls it's another one of those games for pretty cheap.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lightningproof posted:

That they couldn't find the originals for the FMVs is a huge bummer but I'm still incredibly hype for this. Here's hoping they get round to Tiberian Sun and RA2.

They drat well better. Going to be weird having CNC1/RE1 and CNC3/RE3 on Steam, but not 2!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a competitive game that doesn't have a large community of grown men throwing tantrums? I've played Dota, HotS, League, Siege, Overwatch, and Apex, and the one thing all of these games have in common is that when things are going poorly, the overwhelmingly male population acts like the most entitled children. Is there not a chill competitive shooter?

Destiny is my current go to for this.

The majority of people ingame barely speak, and if they do it's usually positive. Most builds work and are fun. We just hit a PvP focused season. Most matches win or lose are just usually random people dicking around, and it's rare you even see teamstacks.

You can sweat it up and do Comp stuff solo, and hit end tier stuff if you are willing to put in the world/learn the guns.

They are introducing Trials, which is a 3v3 "hardcore" mode that runs Fri-Sun. The goon server is full of chill people who are planning on running it for fun every weekend.

It's the most laid back competitive scene I've ever seen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Serephina posted:

I'm over a decade late to the party, but I finally started playing Crysis.

Entirely apart from some poor controls, I'm not sure I "get" it. Cloak can be used to reposition in fights (or just sneak in), armour is self-explanatory, speed I've not found a use for other than just walking faster, but the strength puzzles me. Am I supposed to be chucking physics objects at people, maybe after sneaking behind them? Its so clumsy and ineffective compared to just shooting them.

I finally got a "Yes, *this* will be the moment I do a cool thing" and jumped on the back of a tank with cloak/strength, and it turns out that there's no way to punch your way into the tank (or try to rip the tank in half, Ghost In The Shell style). So no cigar; turns out I'm just supposed to be boring and shoot it with the conveniently placed rocket launcher.

Am I missing something here? I think it just might be an older game from an era of bad shooters and I'm expecting too much from it.

Yeah you basically got it. The game was way too stringent with the powers, but was super unique at the time for being graphically gorgeous.

2 is a much, much better game. Basically lets you go hog wild with the combat arenas.

3 uh. 3 is even better honestly, with the core issue being you can finish the whole game 100% with everything done in 2-3 hours.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, I feel like I kinda got oversold on Ori ( og, not Wisps ).

Like it's good, but it's really not revolutionary. The plot is pretty basic, and I saw all the major hits coming. The platforming requires a precise level I wasn't expecting, and am not really enjoying tbh. The "metroid" aspects are fairly weak, with very few real upgrades and kinda rote exploration outside of a few spots.

It's not bad or anything. Just I remember people comparing this to Hollow Knight and claiming it was better then Hollow Knight, and I'm feeling like we played totally different games. Especially with Will of the Wisps out now, it almost feels like a tech demo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I only just started, I'm half an hour in.

It plays like Gothic with modern controls in an interesting post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, and I'm going to get to choose between learning magic or science. I think. Right now I just want to find the thief who took my gear and maybe level up some.

Go hang out with the druggies. They are the best and teach you how to use just plain old guns.

No joke, they are the best faction by virtue of you can kill their assholes and turn them into a pretty normal faction, while the other two have SERIOUS ISSUES.

In other news I'm playing through all the Doom games in order. Doing the 3 > 1 > 2 > 64 > 16 ( what the gently caress y'all is this scheme ) > Eternal.

And ironically one of my favorite parts is the almost Baldurs Gateish progression from normal dude to utter murderman. Doom 3 starts you as a normal CoD protagonist, but by the end of it you are starting to crack. By the end of 1 you are moving past the "horror" aspect into more enjoyment of the slaughter. By 2 you are rocket jumping around and utterly massacring everything. It just keeps ratcheting up.

Way too many sequels have you just be Ezio but this time you are an Egyptian Ezio. It's really weird seeing the Doom games actually stick the landing of ratcheting up your crazy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

If you hang out with the tech priests long enough you can call their on their bullshit a bit - but doesn't change anything. :(

Yeah. The unique thing I love about the Outlaws is they suck worse then the Clerics at first. But you can straight up challenge/kill their worst members, and on the other end the game recognizes it and reorganizes the faction into something far more "good".

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'll jump on the EU first train, but I'll admit it's largely based on what I personally like.

EU lets you see all it's cards quickly, and then builds a touch and go campaign where you are always in control. It's very chesslike, where you can see every mistake and how it played it/learn from it.

EW is very much so an inbetween EU and 2. You have to play faster, you have to build more, you have to research these new things. There are new threats on the world map. All this stuff helps flesh out the mid game more, but frankly it also dramatically changes the way the game plays.

Hell, I'll actually admit I'm in the opposite camp as Orv. War of the Chosen feels like the way XCOM 2 was supposed to be at launch, and not playing the combined campaign feels weird because it just adds more to what was there. EW so dramatically changes the game it feels like a whole new game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Shovel Knight is making me get real existential.

I'm finding it super hard, as a person who played zero platformers as a kid. Every level beaten is a triumph. Honestly when I played it back at launch, I had to shelve it in the second zone, cause I couldn't even reach Mole Knight, Plague Knight, or Treasure Knight TO beat them.

But I'm getting better! I cleared Polar and Tinker Knight with very few deaths, and am heading into the last bits of the game. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot.

It's getting me thinking about all the skills we have. Something like XCOM, or Fire Emblem is easy for me. No problems. A "hard" CRPG is a fun puzzle for me. But a platformer like this is brutally hard. Yet I'll read the reviews and it's full of people saying "easy return to childhood!" "wish it was harder!".

I wonder if it's just because I didn't gain these skills as a kid, or if it's a patience thing. If I had played Mario as a kid, rather then wandering around in Morrowind/learning THACO in Baldur's Gate, would I be better at these puzzles now? Or would I have just gotten frustrated and angry at this as a kid.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Well, 171 deaths and 8 hours later I beat Shovel Knight! Only missed some of the music, and the last two Magic Upgrades. :whee:

Really fun game! I can see how it'd scratch that nostalgia itch if you really played lots of older NES/SNES games. I could hear the Castlevania and Megaman soundtracks at certain points I swear. Only complaint was Relic mechanic was a bit too fiddly. I constantly found myself casting something when I meant to just basic attack, though I assume this might just be a trigger issue more then anything.

I also couldn't figure out the last boss mechanic despite it being super obvious!

Think I'm going to wait a while before doing the Expansions, since it sounds like they are less DLC and more entirely fleshed out Shovel Knight campaigns, some of them being larger then the core game. Give myself a few months between them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was so pleasantly surprised to find that King Knight ended up being the best of the whole Shovel Knight suite. A truly rock solid game in its own right.

Does it end the package on a solid enough note? Curious how they handle that since it's a prequel and all.

Trying to figure out if I want to play them in release order, or just play King Knight/Specter Knight first, then end on Plague since it's more of a side story.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fallom posted:

What's the faction I want to roll with in Elex? The druggies?

Depends on what you care about.

Storywise the Clerics will always suck, the Beserkers kinda suck, and the Druggies suck but you can kill the sucky people and turn them into a great faction.

Gameplaywise, the Clerics focus on energy weapons/mechs ( which I never found great ), Beserkers handle magic ( which is generally ok ), and Druggies focus on drugs/guns/rocket launchers. All of which are laughably broken.

I've only ever done a Beserkers and Druggies run tbh. Maybe Clerics become with it with their path. Magic was fun, and the Beserker characters are neat, albeit it's a little to uh, focused. Druggies is hilarious because of the aforementioned you can just challenge all the dicks and kill them and the game adapts stuff.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
eh.

Beserkers ending basically starts on the path of healing the planet.. Outlaws is more rebuilding society. Clerics have more ties to the Albs/stuff that happens in the end, but it doesn't really matter considering how

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Pyre is really winning me over.

I had some initial issues with the uh, I guess gamification of the whole Rite business, especially in how you finagle the other Triumvirates around. But I'm nearing the end now and it might be my favorite of the three Supergiant games I've played?

I love the characters, the story is really well told, the Rites are extremely fun. I can't wait to see how my ending plays out, and I've got 3 Rites left.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I initially slept on Pyre because the whole "sports game" gimmick didn't really appeal to me, but that was stupid, I liked it a lot and couldn't put it down when I started playing it. Music owns bones, which is no surprise for a supergiant game, obviously, and the gameplay is basically fantasy NBA jam, so that owns too.

I want so badly to like transistor but after 3 tries to get into it, I just don't like the combat at all. Maybe I'll try the homing missile thing and ignore planning too, because I really do want to see the game through, I just don't particularly enjoy playing it. I suppose there's always youtube, too.

Hades looks great and I hear nothing but praise for it, but I'm stubbornly waiting for it to come out of early access before I get invested in it.

Yeah, I just beat it, and still love it quite a lot. Especially as I started using Titan Stars, the basketball got INTENSE. The AI was able to set up moves, whip the ball around, etc etc. Really impressive and a real challenge. While the actual moves never got more complicated, I needed to better master them to succeed in a lot of the later fights, and it was super satisfying pulling off some real rear end in a top hat plays.

Still have a few complaints though that dragged it down. I felt they could have done a lot more with the Rites if they had dropped the upgrade mechanic and instead encouraged having multiple Talismans. There was this move a lot of the enemies did lategame of basically tossing the ball to my teammate, then instacasting an attack while I tried to attack them and now couldn't that caught me several times. Or the chaos dunk move the Demons could do, mixed with an instantly from behind Imp grabbing the ball and running off. I couldn't really play with any of that because I didn't buy those Talismans earlier.

I also kind of wish they leaned heavier into the failure aspect. There was basically 3 people that I felt needed to make it out of the Downside and everyone else basically didn't care at all. Jodariel would have been happy staying if Rukey/Hedwyn got out ( but had a better ending in the Commonwealth at least ). *ae never cared. Gilman never seemed to have any connection to anything. Pamitha just wanted her sister to get out, didn't care after that. Bertrude didn't care. Ti'zo didn't care. I reached a point where it stopped being big choices and instead it felt like if I had sent anybody else up it'd have actually been bad, because they were all happy in the Downside together and sending up one would have meant they'd have left their friends for nothing.

Also the fiddly "try and play the other Triumverates to face off against the ones you want." system really didn't work that well.

I'm not sure they really connected the two modes as well as I'd have liked. I wanted more sportsball with more stuff and more players, but that'd have taken away from the visual novel. But I also wanted a more complex visual novel with more choice/consequence but that would have taken away from the sportsball. Felt a bit more uneven then Bastion or Transistor in that right, where the core gameplay loop was far more entangled with the actual story. Still it worked well enough, and I do want to go back eventually and fiddle with a few things now to get a more "final" ending for my playthrough now that I know a few things. I wonder if I'd have liked the game a lot more if it was significantly longer, with more time for people to grow on you/expand on why it'd be best for them to go back, and more time to flesh out the actual play sessions.

The Liberation Rite song is gorgeous though, like all Supergiants music.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

zedprime posted:

This is an incredibly important irony for building the theme up. The best candidates to send home from the Downside are the ones least likely to outwardly show they should go home from the Downside. Should they use their newfound zen center to live their best Downside life, or bring the enlightenment to the crumbling commonwealth? I didn't pick anyone because they are personally better off back home. I picked people who would fill the best holes in the commonwealth.

Which to me in a lot of ways is still the core four.

*ae is a really good choice cause she'll help center the Commonwealth around the Scribes again, but honestly gently caress the Scribes. Also she's never going to be as happy there as she would with Ti'zo, Pamitha, and Gilman.

Ti'zo is an Imp.

Gilman could do some work on the Wyrms, but that's frankly an entirely different can of worms, and I don't think he alone can fix their culture problems.

Pamitha and Tamitha shouldn't go back together, and Pamitha legitimately doesn't care as long as her sister makes it back. Her sister will mellow out and eventually reconcile with Pamitha if you have them fight a few times in the Downside. The opposite is very one way, with Pamitha/Hedwyn bringing the Harps closer to the rest of the Union, but also Tamitha suffering for eternity in the Downside.

Bertrude just wants to make sure Sandlewoods plan goes off. Afterwards is it really better for her to be up there with him? Nothing is ever going to happen. In the Downside she can at least help people.

Meanwhile Hedwyn fixes the Harp problem and gets to be with his girlfriend. Jodariel fixes a lot of the issues with community service/community. Rukey helps connect the Downside/Union. Sandlewood brings the various people together.

Like I want to change my playthrough a bit, but it's all minor stuff. I want to spend more time having Pamitha/Tamitha reconcile before I send Tamitha up. I want to lose to Oralech so I can convince him of the Plan and then send him up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has anybody beaten Troubleshooter yet? I know it ended up having some late development issues, so kinda wanna see if the ending is uh, an actual ending or not.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, it's astounding how much better the Far Cry 5 storyline is with New Dawn. It actually gives it a chance to breath and commit to what it's doing, without kicking the player in the gut at the "end", because New Dawn lets you actually finish saving the region.

It's also really funny to be black lady Jesus slaughtering hordes of weird cultists now that they've confirmed that plotline vis a vis New Dawn. Why yes, the reincarnation of Jesus Christ is a black woman wearing a shirt that says Testy Festy on it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

aas Bandit posted:

This makes me almost tempted. I swore I would never buy another Far Cry game after the ending to 5 was so terrible. That kick in the gut you refer to hit me really bad; I don't typically play games to feel like poo poo. (Yeah, I know the plot is sorta cartoony and silly and all over the place anyway--we're not talking serious cinematic drama here or something, but still...I was pissed. It was like "oh...as a player, you want to be a hero and save everyone? Go gently caress yourself.")

So they did a few things to fix it, from what I've seen.

Pastor Jerome now has a line talking about how you reclaiming the Prepper Stashes will be useful if things go bad.

At the end, you get a line from Jerome/Mary/Eli talking about how people need to head to their bunkers, go go go as you fight Joseph.

And then you have New Dawn.

And New Dawn also isn't like the best written thing ever, but it pulls the plot threads you want forward. Almost all the old companions are there, Nick and Kim's kid is there as a Gun For Hire, the landmarks are still there, and you get to see what happened after the events of 5 until now. And the reveal is the Rook really did save the region. Without the cult most people survived the ending, and were able to rebuild this new society in this new world. One that is also now under threat.

Considering the state of the various cult leaders, this is a significantly better ending then either of the potential endings offered by Far Cry 5 base ( those being let the Cult be awful, or let everyone die. ).

It "redeems" the end of 5 in some neat ways. Like for example more plainly stating/leaning on the fact the Rook was Jesus/the Lamb, and that you were saving your flock before Armageddon, and that Joseph was probably the Antichrist, albeit one who regrets his actions.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess? New Dawn also shows that the Rook becomes a weird Joseph follower after getting captured. The Rook is The Judge in New Dawn.

If you read around in New Dawn, you can find that Rook/Judge have no memory of the events of Far Cry 5. They basically last remember getting on the chopper to arrest Joseph, then their next memory is being in the bunker with Joseph.

They felt a presence though

Considering biblically the only person who is capable of lifting the Seals is the Lamb/Jesus, and the Seeds are presented as the 4 Horsemen, then yeah. Especially as you look at stuff like the 12 Guns for Hire/Disciples, and the other tieins to Revelations. Or the constant "no MORTAL MAN could do this" stuff like the stunts. Or why you were the only one who could shake off the Jacob stuff, or shake off the Bliss stuff. Most people got fully taken over by it. It's because the whole game is a Revelations allegory and the PC is a standin for the Reincarnation.

Which I view as hilarious because my PC was a black woman wearing a Testy Festy shirt.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia but I feel like taking camps used to be way more interesting and engaging than it is in current games. I dunno if it's because the enemy AI has suffered, or because they make you too OP or what. Like, finding ways to chain takedown kills actually used to have a purpose. Now it's just this weird relic in the level up menu.

Nah, it's an actual huge problem I had with 5. The AI stands around more after gunfire starts, the outposts are more single buildings and encourage you to snipe/pick off dudes, all the weapons have suppressors, the AI reacts to suppressors poorly. Leads to a lot of really odd situations.

3 and 4 really didn't have that problem. A lot of the guns had weaknesses, suppressors/silent stuff was difficult to come by, and the outposts were more puzzly. Guards would be far more keen to spot you.

( Yet another thing I think New Dawn did better! Goes back to you having to be smart about taking apart Outposts. )

Cardiovorax posted:

It shouldn't be. "Clumsy" doesn't come close to describing how bad it is. I don't play games for their stories and I still couldn't keep going after a while.

It's definitely had some changes since I last played it. More radio chatter building stuff out, etc. I think they removed one of John/Faith's kidnapping sequences which helped limit that a bit. Faith's region was smoothed out.

I actually never found the plot particularly awful though. The kidnapping stuff yes, but broken people trying to do good things but failing because their broken is an interesting enough trope, and everyone in that game had problems attached to them holding them back. Mix in the religious undertones and it's got better beats then "bratty kid is actually a murder god." or "how do you feel about DRUGS though.". Each Seed/Horsemen having genuine pathos and twisting each other into failure is a neat take on the rather formulaic Revelations structure. Separately they may have actually been saveable, but because they built this thing amidst all their pain they built it into something far worse, and far too tied to them. Really on the Jacob stuff felt kind of forced, but his zone is also the shortest so whatever.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Queen's Wish is on sale, I remember people talking up about some very neat mechanics re:levelling not being by randomly killing but by completing actual tasks, but how is the rest of the gameplay? I've never played a Spiderweb game but I do know they lean towards a very specific 'classic' game feeling that often also ends up being a bit of a pain to play.

Here's the beauty of Spiderweb games.

They lean on that classic feeling, but never make it a pain to play. Constantly smart QoL features that just work, great design, fun choices, lots of focus on well designed encounters.

Spiderweb stuff has flaws for sure. It's obviously a one man job. The UI just works, it's not flashy. Story beats and companions are sometimes less reactive then you might expect from an AAA title. Art is obviously a bit more indie.

But if you like RPGs, they put in the work for cheap.

Queens Wish is a great start. It's the most feature rich of them all, although I found the core plot somewhat goofy.

Avadon is the most "modern". It attempted to bring in the Bioware fanbase. Also a good start. It has actual companions for example, with companion quests.

Avernum now that its fully remade is the best, really good story, lots of choice, great locations.

Geneforge is the next set to be remade, but is up there with Avernum. If you start getting into Spiderweb stuff now, you could do Queens Wish > Avernum and be ready for the Geneforge remakes as they come out!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is the Civ VI base game okay or is it garbo? (Yes, I just got it for free on EGS.)

Base game is pretty eh.

With the expansions it's a pretty great Civ.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I've bought a bunch of the new EA Steam games now.

The "requires Origin" thing is really weird?

So I had to log into Origin when I started Jedi. From that point on it auto logged on for each game.

If I turn off Origin after the fact its fine. Just seems to need it for that first check.

In some games that "require Origin" it doesn't even do the check. All the smaller games like Fe don't seem to actually care.

The few games that have Origin running.....don't. It's not in my system tray. Its not the actual Origin client. It's even called a different thing in Task Manager. It's a weird psuedo client attached to the individual game that also turns off when the game turns off. Like a psuedo old DRM.

I feel like the games have an old DRM to look for an Origin.exe or something and they were lazy enough not to rip it out of each game. Instead they just made a weird little floater "Origin" program that doesn't even need a login most times that just runs alongside the games for 100mb.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anno posted:

Anyone have strong feelings about Spellforce III? I remember liking the original a long time ago, and this looks very pretty/seems decently well received.

It's great, all Spellforce is great. Everyone should buy all the Spellforce games.

Spellforce 1 is still the winner for craziest video game plot, and the Spellforce 3 plot almost manages to match it. Not in it's craziness, but what they did without making any mention of it.

Seriously please someone ask me about the Spellforce 1/3 plots because they are incredible.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I am asking you about the Spellforce 1/3 plots.

oh boy are you in for a treat.

( Sorry, I ended up having to go back into work. )

So Spellforce 1 starts out pretty banal for a 90s RTS/RPG. You are the byproduct of horrible horrible magic warcrimes, and the game makes this very clear to you early on. You see there were these great Mages who called themselves the Circle Mages. Who used to be the guardians of the world, but went mad with power, and figured they should run the world instead. They did this by SUCKING THE SOULS OUT OF UNWILLING SOLDIERS BODIES AND PUTTING THEM INTO RUNES. Basically magical stones they could then summon armies of slaves from. They used these Rune Warriors to conquer the entire world. The game starts out by telling you this, while also explaining you are a Rune Warrior!

Except see, you've been freed from being a Rune Warrior by a kindly old man named Rohen. Who'd really love it if you could help him with his problems. See the Circle Mages after conquering the world turned on each other, and then blew up the world while trying to become gods in an act known as the Convocation. This led to everything becoming islands, which is also how they explain every level in this RTS game also existing in an RPG. You jump from island to island, and can jump back to previous islands. It's levels, but made to look like an RPG open world. Rohen wants to put everything back together, and after finding your Rune set you free to help him as his lead general/warrior/etc.

And so you agree, and help him out. You start bringing various kingdoms back into the fold, help refugees, all this good stuff. Until eventually you meet this crazed psychopath who starts trying to kill you. This very edgy looking goth mage dude with an army of mechs who is rolling around slaughtering people. At this point Rohen pulls you aside and lets you in on his big secret. See, Rohen was a Circle Mage. And so is this other mage. And Rohen realized what he did was wrong, and is now trying to stop the other Circle Mages so the people can get on with their lives without crazed demigods running around.

The game continues, and then a big event happens. Rohen loving dies. He and the other mage fight, and Rohen gets wiped out.

You go after him, and chase him to his lair, where the biggest, craziest reveal happens. You confront him and demand answers. And he explains them. He tells you his name is Rohen, he's a Circle Mage. And he's going to wipe everything out and rebuild his new mech kingdom.

Then you realize what happened. Old man Rohen is this dude ??? in the future after he severely mellowed out and felt awful for what he did. He then came back in time to kill his younger self to stop him from committing horrible crimes.

You kill Rohen and save the day.

The other Spellforce games have OTHER PEOPLE dealing with various other Circle Mage nonsense, or demons, or all sorts of weird hilarious poo poo ( like an entire faction of people who cannot stop loving dragons. and are not trusted for their dragon loving problems. ), but nothing is as insane as that.

So then Spellforce 3 is announced. It's been 20 odd years, a totally new dev team, it looks/plays well, but has zero connection to the other games. The Kingdom names are all different, it's a solid landmass, there are very few similarities. It totally feels like they just pulled Spellforce out and decided to make their own RPG within the setting. And they make zero claims to the contrary. This is a new THQ property, using an old name. It's a soft reboot of Spellforce, because who remembers Spellforce anyways. It's just a genre type.

It comes out, and I play it. It's got nothing to do with the old games. It's weird giant floating cities, and an Empire, and all sorts of stuff that's not at all connected to Spellforce. There's a weird plague, and it's playing like it's almost trying to be a Dragon Age/Bioware style game with companions that chime in during conversations, companion romances, companion quests, etc. Not poorly written or anything, but just kinda very much so Eurojank and I keep wondering why it's called Spellforce 3 outside of just obvious branding.

But throughout I keep recognizing small things. A characters name sticks out to me. I can't figure out why but it does. And then I clear the intro and find this Holy City that's in the old Spellforce games, and clear it out/turn it into my Stronghold. And that's interesting, because in the old games it was the seat of the Circle Mages, but they must just be using it as a callback here.

I'm given quests to meet with and unite the various races. To talk to the human refugees/side kingdoms and get this mercenary company on my side, talk to this Orc and get his people on my side, etc etc. So I of course go after the humans first cause that's an army I understand well and want to use on all these side quests. So I go visit their town to meet with their leader, and he introduces himself to me! His name is Rohen. He's totally down to join my crew and add his people to my army.

And that's the point where the loving dots all tie together. This isn't a spinoff. It's a loving prequel. I'M BUILDING THE CIRCLE MAGES.

I instantly go google the Circle Mages and yup. The two party members I have are the people I killed years ago in the old Spellforce games. Rohen is here. The Orc I'm chasing down helped me out in the old Spellforce games. That's why I'm holed up in their main city, because I AM THEM.

The best part is the game makes no mention of this at all throughout it's entire campaign. At no point do they say it, or even reference it. The devs didn't say anything referencing it. In fact they marketed it as a reboot.

I hopefully didn't spoil too much Spellforce for people who might get interested after this. I promise all the campaigns are equally nutty and amazing, and the RPG aspects of all of them are actually super fun! The entire franchise ( outside of the two THQ expansions to Spellforce 2 ) are totally worth the time/effort spent into them.

To add to the insanity of Spellforce. 2 comes with a free play mode, where you aren't tied to the main quest. Instead you play as the main general of the MC, and run around fighting wars for them. Your actions are actually called out in the MC, and you have your own 30-40 hour campaign just dicking around in the free play campaign.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Qtamo posted:

Can you elaborate on what's wrong with the THQ expansions? I beat both Spellforce 2 and the first expansion ages ago, and the other expansions have been pretty high on my "up next" list but it'd be good to know if there's no point playing them.

Couple reasons.

- They are both really short. Faith in Destiny is maybe 10 hours? Demons of the Past is maybe 20. Compare this to the 100 or so hours you can get out of 1, the 60ish of 2, and the 50ish of 3. It's just not enough time to develop a real plot.

- Faith in Destiny feels like a demo for Demons more then an actual game.

- Faith has some....ok quests? But some really weird choices. You can't make a female character anymore, but there is zero story reason given as to why this is a thing. Demon has a LOOOOOOT of really basic fetch quests.

- Several of the Demon levels are just the Faith levels, but you start at a different point and the level looks slightly different. To the point it felt like they saw the "too short" response, and fleshed out Demon by having you run back through those levels again rather then making new content.

Both games also suffer from a uh. Like the Spellforce storyline ends pretty well with Dragon Storm I felt. By that point you'd dealt with most of the problems in the world, things were going back to normal, congrats. Franchise done. Spellforce 3 subverts that in some smart ways. FiD and Demons don't! They basically just say, ah yeah, gotcha though, there was actually another force that was barely mentioned in any of the other games, and now you have to deal with that also! It's a sequel for the sake of being a sequel, rather then fleshing stuff out.

At $7? or so it's probably worth it if you liked Spellforce, and treat them as just a weird little side thing, especially because they have good free play modes. But in my case I replayed 3/1/2/Dragon Storm beforehand, and remembered how good the franchise was, and they somewhat disappointed.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I never did! I thought I heard it was bad? I THINK I own it on Origin let me boot that up and see. I'll be happy to visit it and see Tim Curry's SPACE in context.

Also thank you!! They are my favorite bird, and when I was thinking of a username to use on SA (back in 2012) I didn't want to use my livejournal/fanfic one because I was afraid of the cool guys on SA finding out that I wrote fanfic. Now I don't care but I like being Strix anyways.

CnC 4 was bad. CnC 3 and RA3 were both A++ very cheesy hilarious games that really modernized the formula in some smart ways.

Be warned, CnC 3 base has a very difficult mission. They changed how the construction system worked ( due to multiplayer ), which kinda broke one of the missions. Originally you had multiple cranes so you could hotbuild a base quickly because they'd be sending tons of dudes at you ASAP. But with the changes you only get one crane, so it's extremely extremely tight to complete. Doable, but very difficult.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sloppy posted:

I was a WC2 junkie too. I've always sucked horribly at them multiplayer. However the campaign I loved more than anything ever was the bonus content on Frozen Throne. The exploration and quests were almost like WoW, but the controls were all RTS and the units were all like little RPG heroes. I've never played anything quite like it and I'm curious if such a game even exists.

Spellforce!

Not really, but it's the closet thing I've ever found to WC3. Spellforce 3 mainly, it's a weird psuedo Dragon Age/WC3 hybrid done on a budget. The older games are more RTS games with light RPG mechanics, similar in some ways, but different in others. Lot of islands with an enemy force you needed to overcome through RTS army battles, but also you had heroes that could level up to buff your army/fight armies/fight heroes/randomly quest/heal/etc etc. And then lots of random quests on each map to go do. And then big cities/hero only zones where you wander around and chat with people and pick up quests before going back to the RTS sections.

Black Griffon posted:

Couple of other questions: Is My Time at Portia kind of simplistic? I like to get down into the weeds and systems and greebles, but also a lot of people seem to love it.

I've had EDF5 on my wishlist forever, because even though it's the best game ever according to literally everyone, it looks janky and off putting. What am I missing? I'd love to just go for it finally.

No more simplistic then something like a Stardew. It just does building rather then farming.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:eyepop:

holy poo poo Nals, thank you so much

totes. It's my favorite franchise and you reminded me why. Figured you should keep being able to go down the nostalgia road!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
On the topic of weird RTSes. More people should.....attempt to play Achron.

It's the weird time travel RTS. I beat it somehow, and by the end that game was more puzzle then RTS. I reached a point mid game where I wasn't sure I was enjoying myself anymore.

But man is it unique.

Or Original War. The other time travel RTS. Where America went back in time to mine unobtanium from the Dinosaurs, only to find the Soviets there. Every single unit was a character in the story, had stats they could level up. Lot of weird story twists. Originally was going to have a third faction where Saudi Arabia also went back in time they thankfully cut because it probably would not have been as cheerfully goofy as the Soviet/Americans premise.

Did anyone else play the Perimeter games? What the gently caress were those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Achron is 20$ otherwise I'd buy it RIGHT now. Original War meanwhile is a dollar so yeah that's getting vacuumed up.

e: Oh and I have 3 minutes in Perimeter, which means I installed the game and closed it. This was from years back too so.... wow. A bounty!

Original War is a huge hidden gem RTS. It's the Russian RA2, if RA2 was made by a single Russian dude in his basement while he was coked out of his mind.

No FMVs but insane drawings instead for cutscenes.

The plot is that after beating an alien invasion humanity found time travel, but used all the good alien rock they needed for it. Then we realized it there was some in Siberia, but obviously that's owned by Russia.

Then some smartass realizes we have enough time rock left to send people back in time to steal the time rock before Russia existed and bring it across the Bering land bridge to Alaska, which'll eventually be American territory.

The plot goes off the rails considerably after that.

There are talking monkey troops the Allies eventually form who also have stats and level up.

It's a crazy game in that styling. Well worth $1.