Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
More then a little solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish the new steam client wasn't so slow. I don't know if it is just because I own a lot of games or if it is the client itself being poorly optimized or what but it can take upwards of a minute for the client to update and let me interact with it and search/scroll/etc. It wasn't a problem with the old version :(

Try throwing some of these in your Steam shortcut "-noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser"

So it ends up looking like this and see if that speeds things up, -no-browser will disable some chromium stuff, but for me it's no loss, I use the client to launch games in small mode and that's it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser

Also make a Steam.cfg and put in there.

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wasteland Remastered is out, and looks like a cool version of an old game. Reviews are good, but it's mixed because????

IIRC, reviews aren't counted unless you buy directly from Steam, so all those positive reviews you see are of offsite keys activated/devsofgame/friends&familyofdevs who got the game as far as Steam is concerned, for free and it won't go towards the percentage.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

explosivo posted:

I know I don't need a $150 physical collector's edition of a $20 game however I would very much like a tiny obelisk of light to sit on my desk at work :ohdear:

I'm sure someone on eBay will be parting pieces. Alternatively, that looks easy enough that you could just get a 3D printed one.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anyone get that Command & Conquer Remaster? What does it mean by "Account (Supports linking to Steam account)"?

Am I going to need more then just Steam to play this?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hub Cat posted:

Its not out yet but at a guess they are going to force you to log into an EA account for multiplayer. Outside chance you'll have to launch Origin when you play it but I think they've given up on that.

Account I can stand, but if I need to install another client and have it run in the background, then I'm just not gonna bother.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep, that's what they require. Do NOT buy any ubisoft games if you can't handle running two clients at once, they're all uplay mandatory.

And I mean I don't mind using origin or uplay, but c'mon companies, play nice

Who comes up with this poo poo, ask yourself one thing companies who do this, what does this add for the customer, any benefits? Nope. Then maybe don't do it.

Hey here's have another client! to go on top of that other one you have, it doesn't do anything Steam doesn't do, but it's ours...

Okay ending /minirant

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I like Dungeon Crawls and consider Wizardry8 one of the best games ever, easily an all time favorite of mine, but also thought Legend of Grimrock sucked total poo poo, where does game lean more towards?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Xaris posted:

I'm still not quite sure I get the difference between Creative and Journey really, I guess Journey is just a slightly more restricted Creative in that you do have to find things first and still occasionally fight* *if you want to.

This explains it pretty well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01jQ2XRqfE

Basically there's a built in cheat menu.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
n/m, just don't have time anymore.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 17, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Zesty posted:

I noticed Sims 4 is now on Steam. Don't want to spend a hundred bucks getting all the DLC. But let's check anyway and maybe they'll surprise me.

Sims 4 Launch price. 50% off from 40. So $20. Okay fair.

DLC:

Haha gently caress off, EA.

You better jump on that Holiday Celebration Pack before they notice.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's really cool how there's a huge fuckoff banner on every single page telling me I can save $6 on every $35 spent, thanks Gabe Gorhill!

So what's the gimmick this sale? Is there a badge?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's good about no gimmick, I have no time for that poo poo anymore, I just want to check my wishlist once, then move on without feeling like I'm missing out on some "event".

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Shrecknet posted:

Just noticed Warhammer Mechanicus is more than 50% off; at :10bux: this game is an absolute steal. It's XCOM (the good new kind) but with legitimately good, funny writing that nails the bleakly humorous death-cult that is the 40k universe. It's just a joy to play and looks gorgeous. Strong, strong recommend.

I've not got around to playing this one yet, but man I just need to say that it has one amazing soundtrack worth checking out if Dark Ambient / Psybient is your thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsX9WUdYnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKPWItNkeBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irTbS_uinw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlP8cUlPwvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksH2sIQdJ8

Alright, so I need suggestion help for something chill to play late at night (like 4am, gently caress me) because I'm stressed as gently caress and can't sleep proper anymore, out of Oxygen Not Included / Monster Train / DemonCrawl, which of these is the more "chill-out" game I can play and maybe relax and dump a ton of time in, play with one hand or controller, slouched back on a chair. Think late night Jazz listening, I don't want something that needs my reflexes and APM at 200+ to play.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, looks like I'll go with DemonCrawl for my insomnia, which I'll pick up exactly right after the Humble Monthly drops tomorrow (err today, 3:30am... gently caress me!), in case you know, DemonCrawl's in there (just kidding it wont) but maybe something else will, that fits my needs exactly, so who knows.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I need help remember the name of a game on Steam, long ago I played this mobile to PC port of a "snakes" game (you know, where your line gets bigger and bigger as you progress until you pretty much just running into your own tail), but the line was made out of little guys instead, like one guy had a sweeping sword, another was a litte red demon dude that shot fire, etc. You killed rats and stuff in a sewer level and knights and mages on a castle level, I want to say the game's name had "Hero" or "Quest" in it, but that's super drat generic.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

That's exactly it! Thanks a ton, and apparently I reviewed the game way back when... should have just checked that... And that feeling of getting old man memory, sucks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's such a letdown of a bundle, my God. Those are literally my only "gaming" purchases anymore and I'll usually find 2 or 3 games in them that I'd at least give a try on to justify the cost, it's like cool, one or two games look interesting or I've been eyeing and this third one I'd never normally buy on it's own, but since it's added there why not, but this one just has Fae Tactics I'd play, and that's mostly because I consider FFTactics and Tactics Ogre to be so drat high up on the "Classic list of games", but sadly nothing even comes close to those two games nowadays. :/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Fell Seal?

Na, not yet, it's been on the back of my mind for a while too, but sometimes "researching" whether I want to even try it takes more time then it's worth for me... Hows the story/what's it about/themes? Gaming for me now is more for the story then lovely game-play loops and hooks, so that's usually my main criteria here.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Awesome! posted:

is there a gunfire reborn thread or something for joining up with goons playing it?

There is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937414

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So this game ( Astrox Imperium ) has been on my radar for a while now and I'm wondering if it is any good, since it's currently 50% off and I'm bored as gently caress, it claims to be a single player EVE Online, which totally sounds awesome if it is actually good, but so many of these types of games and claims just kinda fail to deliver on the end result with over promises.

Any goons with EVE or X3 experience know anything about this game? Does it actually live up to what it says, or since it's still in EA should I just wait a bit more.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

nessin posted:

I'd urge caution, it looks like EVE Online and even plays like it in a lot of ways, but has some weird underlying mechanics that really make it feel very different. For example, heat, radiation, and oxygen exist such that your time limited on how long you can spend in space and the game is segmented by that. Certain areas will have effects that cause huge drains on your heat dissipation or oxygen reserves that you can't cross them until upgrading your ship. Ultimately the game felt like it was a grindy and dull as EVE PvE, but with all these extra annoyance tacked on. If you legitimately enjoyed missing running in EVE but didn't care for just about everything else, it might be worth looking into.

Sounds like a hunger mechanic, i hate those in games. Still kinda sound fun though, I've never played EVE because of huge time commitment, as it is an MMO after all, oh and with a monthly sub, then there's that sunk cost that will inevitably make you hate life... But the huge fleet stories you hear are always fascinating, PVE not so much but that just kinda the MMO thing, I'm probably going to watch some let's plays on it before I (if I) get it, it's only $8CAD so not a huge deal.

BTW, What the hell are people voting for? I haven't been gaming much let alone new stuff this year, I can't even nominate Bad Rats, I'm literally out of ideas here.

Game of the Year Award: Cannot do Batman despite that cover literally telling you it's GotY 500 times, so maybe Frog Fractions: Game of the Decade Edition, because it's Game of the Decade apparently.

VR Game of the Year Award: Half-Life whatever from Valve.

Labor of Love Award: Warsim, because the dev for that game is awesome passionate, Terraria isn't indie anymore with like 50 billion sales.

Better With Friends Award: No idea, literally anything is better with friends, sniffing glue is better with friends.

Outstanding Visual Style Award: I dunno.

Most Innovative Gameplay Award: I dunno.

Best Game You Suck At Award: I'm a GOD at vidya games obviously, there all piss-easy, no-scope'n all day, so I dunno, I do remember sucking at Spelunky, never played the new one, so I probably suck at that.

Best Soundtrack Award: I dunno, all the good ones are old and don't qualify, like Blade Symphony or Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus, gently caress that.

Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award: I dunno, maybe the newest Dragon Ball Z game.

Sit Back and Relax Award: Pooping (I dunno).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Could we have a separate GOTY thread? I like reading it, but I'd like it separated from general game recs.

No, sorry. There's going to be 5 pages of nomination lists now, guess you'll just have to deal. But don't worry, I'm sure some twitter SJW poo poo will happen soon enough and then we can go back to the regular Steam general gaming daily activities.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Palpek posted:

I'm on the lookout for hidden gems so here are some smaller titles on sale under $10 that look interesting to me. Anybody has any thoughts on any of them?

The Procession to Calvary

I have no idea what this game's about, but it's a shame it doesn't have Steam Trading Cards™ because I would insta buy whatever wallpapers they come out with.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Sam and Max remaster is out, for anyone who has been waiting on it!

Apparently it's another bad "Remaster". As in, they censored a bunch of jokes and recast even Bosco's voice actor too, things like "sissypants" and some crossdressing jokes are too edgy and offensive for 2020 I guess, but then again I'm not really surprised anymore what with how some people love to flip the gently caress out over the word Ion Fury in this very thread nowadays either...

So yeah, buyers beware. But then again, why the gently caress would anyone buy this remaster anyways? The original ones work completely fine and look the same. Nobody plays Sam & Max for cutting edge graphics...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Veotax posted:

The sound is loving terrible in the original version because each episode was super compressed to be like less than 200MB and the resolution tops out at something like sub-1080 and it only runs in 4:3.
The new lighting looks great and the sound is crisp and clear.

The 'censorship' isn't a reason to skip the remaster unless you're the kind of psychopath who spams every thread on the Steam forums about how the developers should be fired.

Jake Rodkin, one of the developers on the original games and the remaster posted about the dialogue changes over in the Adventure Games Megathread:
I just don't like "censorship", especially when it's a big whatever like something you'd find in a Sam & Max game. Maybe others don't either, so I was just giving a heads up.

The 7th Guest posted:

those jokes sucked no matter what year it was

but then sam and max largely is funny primarily on the strength of the interplay between sam and max and not any of the telltale-created characters, which range from sometimes quirky enough for a smile to dull as dirt (this was generally the case for the TV show as well)

also recasting a black NPC to be played by a black VA is not censorship lol

i'm curious to see them get through the other seasons since seasons 2 and 3 are each exponentially better than their predecessor
Never said it was, nice try at a strawman trying to start something though!

Hwurmp posted:

I'm sorry if they disrespected your feelings
I'm sorry I hurt yours.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Steam thread should go back to talking about games, oh hey I hear Humble has a pretty good one.

And no need to keep quoting me, I'm out/don't care.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

What are y'all playing currently?

Oh, I dunno. Let me ask this guy. :asoiaf:

I wonder how long Steam takes to boot up as it verifies all those files. Can Steam even function?

re: Gunfire Reborn & SYNTHETIK, I need "in short burst/little brain power" games nowadays, so these have been my go-tos for the last week or so.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
From today's Humble Monthly, does anyone have a copy of ELEX they'd be willing to sell to me for a few bucks (Paypal)? I'm a huge fan of the Gothic and Risen series and so this one is entirely my jam here, and as an added bonus it looks like it comes with a lot of euro jank! But for the rest of this bundle, it is not my jam or even worst, jam with seeds in it, like raspberry... yuck!

Thanks John!

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 3, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Big shout out to John Lee for the game ELEX!, and rip my PM box, hours of nothing, then 3 PM's all within minutes... in other words Burning Rain, The Joe Man thanks but it's been solved.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

The Joe Man posted:

No problem; enjoy it! It's basically the real Gothic 3 (or a decent sequel to Risen).

That's what I'm hearing and reading, and I'm super pumped to play it actually. Basically it's a must have for Gothic/Risen fans, and Gothic II is one of my all time favorites so I think I'm in for a treat here, the only negative I generally see about the game is that at times it can be a bit buggy and comes with a lot of "jank", but I'm not sure if those complaints were mostly for when it launched and have since been smoothed out by now...? Also luckily I have a high tolerance for "jank" in games, I find that poo poo charming. :)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This video made me lol when I first saw it. Love at first sight, pretty much.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Triarii posted:

I was a fan of Gothic and Risen back in the day, but I'm afraid that revisiting anything like them would be unbearable because games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls have come along that scratch a similar itch but are just so much better.

These game all serve different niches though, Gothic and Risen are for story, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are for combat, and the most recent Valheim is for building, no one's playing Gothic or Valheim for the combat gameplay...

Personally I've bounced off on both Monster Hunter and Valheim super hard because I found them needlessly grindy, the story to Monster Hunter was good enough to string you along, but once done, super hard bounce.

Souls games are A++ though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
:siren::siren: Humble Stellaris Discovery Bundle :siren::siren:

Stellaris for a dollar seems pretty good.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 10, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oof, that's a really rough bundle, like there's not even something in there I'd want to watch a trailer for. Double Oof.

Too many other games to play, and with so little time, also still plucking away at ELEX from last month's monthly (awesome Gothic-like game BTW!), this is such a hard pass (for me, not that anyone cares, lol).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
:siren:

Hey so, if you're one of the still saddened by the recent monthly being bad, and so no new games are getting added to your account today, or just one of HUGE Overfall fans because it was being talking about for pages and pages here a few days ago, well apparently Fanatical are sending out emails for replacements, I got mine, so check 'em.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

repiv posted:

edit: the creator of SteamDB also says valve paid him for an exploit but never actually fixed it

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Does anyone have any nice (or bad) things to say about Blood Card? I see that it's currently 80% off which is pretty darn cheap for a Slay the Spire clone type game, I also love the hell out of Slay the Spire, so I'm just wondering if Blood Card is worth playing?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Acerbatus posted:

I'm super dumb how do I delete cloud saves? I want to show a friend a game with a fresh save.

Very late on this post, and cannot help you about deleting :smithcloud: stuff unfortunately, but thought I'd share something I learned today about Steam :yaycloud:. You can actually view and download all your :yayclod: stuff from this page.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage

Neat huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Jarvisi posted:

The last time I played a game on the windows store it installed itself to essential windows files and required me to delete it from the command line

Windows store games literally install themselves as partitions on your drive, God help you if something goes wrong during the uninstall process. Cool DRM huh.