Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Quick question regarding assassins creed chat: I don’t generally like this style of games, but I really enjoyed shadows of Mordor, and enjoyed the Witcher 3 (for the experience, not for the combat)- do you think I would enjoy assassins creed?

For reference, I haven’t played games like far cry or call of duty or even saints row, GTA, or the new tomb raider because I generally don’t enjoy the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ClothHat posted:

I would pass, or maybe play for a little while and refund it through gog like I did. For me the focus on taking your creatures out to pillage meant the dungeon design was pretty irrelevant, and without that all you have left is a mediocre RTS. And yes the jokes are beyond terrible.

I tried to like it, but it seems like the only games the developers had ever played were the warcraft games, so all the humor revolves around parody of those, and it just feels like a bad wc3 mod.

In other words: not good.

Also, after asking about assassins creed, I saw that there was an Ubisoft game pass equivalent for $15 a month, so will probably just get that and play the AC games and Anno 1800 for a month (or more I guess, if I need to). Seems like a good deal if you haven’t played many Ubisoft games, like me.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Earlier this month some people were posting about Horizon's Gate, the rather pixelated SRPG. Can anyone give and/or repost their thoughts on it? It seems like it'd be up my alley, but there's not much in the way of reviews.

I did not like it at all. The combat is very clunky, with keyboard and mouse at least, in that you have to select the character to move, select a square to move to, select an ability, select a square to attack, then select a direction to face at the end of your turn. It’s extremely cumbersome. The grading part is bare bones- you will always make a profit from yrading, it just increases with distance. Skill accumulation is too slow, and by the time the game was almost over (I couldn’t even bear to slog through to the finish) I still didn’t have any interesting skills or abilities to use even though I had traded my way to a large trading fleet.

It’s just not very interesting or compelling at all. Just to see if I was missing something, I went back to one of the dev’s other games that I had forgotten about previously buying and the same combat control system was just as bad there. I have read some reviews of people liking it, so maybe I am just missing the fun.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

What's the current state of all the various Transport Tycoon/Railroads style games? I've been looking at Mashinky and Railway Empire recently and considering maybe picking one up later.

I tried LOGistICAL a while back and just didn't really find it engrossing, felt more like a idle clicker.

I really liked railway empires. I think it’s fairly simple compared to what I’ve read about Transport Tycoon (haven’t played it) but you can go hog wild tediously building switches and signals and all that if you want to, or there is an option to turn that off, which I did. It is a supply chain/ research game with scenarios, but I like the maps, and on higher difficulties the AI can put up a challenge, though it’s pretty passive on lower difficulties.

I also liked rise of industry, which is a similar logistics/supply chain game that is not as pretty and generally not as good, but still worth a play.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

If I want a fun Tycoon game, should I grab Megaquarium or Two Point Hospital? Leaning towards the latter.

Haven’t played mega aquarium, but two point hospital is great, and I had a lot of fun with it. Also, the radio stations are some of the best content of this type I’ve ever encountered- I haven’t played for a while, but I still get the “two point raaaaaaaaadio” jingle stuck in my head.

I think I played the base game for free on Xbox game pass, then bought it with all the DLC on steam because I liked it so much.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on CORRUPTION 2029? I have an Epic coupon to use up and I like the new Xcoms, but on the other hand I still have Mutant year zero sitting unplayed.

Play Mutant Year Zero- it’s good! Sure it has flaws, but if you like tactical games, it’s well worth the time.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Sentinels of Freedom looks interesting, but how the gently caress does a super hero themed xcom-like game not ship with mod support?

It’s very fun so far, but I really want more customization options.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I just watched the dev play this for a few minutes and it looks rad as hell. Lot of variation in how you can get in and out of trouble while solving cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VuFu3xGKgo

This look amazing!

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 16, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I really like two point hospital, and I hope they never stop making DLC for it, which is more than o would say for most paradox games.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Iverron posted:

Chronicon rocks

Quoting this because it does!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

The judge just straight up muting the Apple lawyer on Zoom call after he interrupted her made me chuckle. What a time to live in. :allears:

This exchange happens in almost every trial, almost exactly like this, at least once. Usually many more times. Though the zoom mute aspect is something I think all judges wish for in normal trials- it’s exceedingly rare to have a judge cut an attorney’s microphone.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah likewise judges don't want to seem favourable to one party over another so they'll press further on the side with a stronger legal argument than the side half-assing things as a general rule, since the one half-assing will try to make a point of judge bias at appeals

Claims of judge bias would be very unusual in a case like this, barring blatant external factors like investments or family ties. And absolutely neither side is “half-assing” in this case- legal costs are absolutely not a factor here, and litigation costs will easily reach into at least the tens of millions of dollars on both sides. This is absolutely a “bet the company” case because the precedent here will have massive implications. See, for example, the Qualcomm v. Apple patent litigation that concluded last year.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/25/apple-can-block-fortnite-but-not-epics-unreal-engine-judge-says.html

“Epic’s problem is entirely self-inflicted.”

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

How's the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos? Is the fantasy XCOM stuff fun, and is the story at least entertaining (I'm not expecting a good story, but is it at least fun to follow)
I posted this in the fresh release thread when somebody asked about it there:

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except there is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 22, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I had a bad feeling that it was going to be that kind of humour from the trailer.

Still kind of tempted though if the actual combat/gameplay is good though...
The gameplay has a lot of problems currently. It is absolutely frustrating- not in an “that’s XCOM” way, but in a way that makes you think, “OK, I’ve got a 75% chance to hit. That means that it’s going to be a miss, get dodged, or have a critical failure and damage myself. Which sucks because I’m outnumbered 2-1, the enemies all have AoE’s while I have no good ones until maybe 25 hours in, and the enemies are going to do twice the damage that I do.” That’s on the normal default difficulty.

These are problems that can be sorted out with time, but currently make the game an unfun experience that I uninstalled after the third combat in a row where the game controls became unresponsive, forcing me to alt-F4.

If that sounds tempting, more power to you! Report back of you have a different experience. Otherwise, probably need to wait a few months on this one.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Glazius posted:

Hey Steam thread. I wanted to talk about a little game called Tenderfoot Tactics, which launched with approximately no fanfare (and certainly none here) about a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGL0gDMsrgI

I've been playing it on and off since then and while I freely acknowledge it's not for everyone, for me it's a fun little blend of Final Fantasy Tactics and... X-Com 2?

And Firewatch or some other orienteering game. You have no minimap, so you have to orient yourself on the world map based on the geometry you can see. At the start you get a map with the goblin towns and two towers, one west and one east. Each town has a map of the local area but the central citadel that's spitting out weird magic fog is always "north" on the town maps. Your opening quest, traveling from the starting east tower to the west will give you another map with the locations of the tier 3 class unlocks, and then stuff gets really wild.

Like, here's me just playing around with tier 2 classes, growing bushes on the map to slow down advancing bog trolls (and dropping a meteor on the one that got past, creating a pit).

Tier 3 stuff is, like, opening magma fissures, calling down rainstorms, flash-boiling or electrifying an entire body of water. The melee guys have some fun too, darting through brush for assassination, getting madder as they take damage and letting it out in a bull charge, creating and exploiting height differentials (and healing when they catch fire), and wielding a sword that is actually a plowshare, striking a vast arc and planting seeds to grow brush to slow down the enemy advance.

Of course by then you're not just fighting corrupted goblins, you're fighting frost giants and shadow witches, so you kind of need the firepower. And at least one of the many variations on Solar Flare, because turn delay wins games.

It launched in a pretty rough but workable state and it's been getting worked on over the past month, and most of the issues I had with it have been ironed out, to the point that I'm comfortable recommending it to random goons on the internet. It's not for everyone and you might bounce off it pretty hard (but hopefully inside the refund time) but if you've ever wanted to flashbang a bunch of fire giants, drop them in a pit, knock the stragglers in with a wave, and then grow trees around it so they can only barely climb out, this might be your jam.

I don’t know how I missed this game completely, but thanks for the heads up!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Morter posted:

Actually give it a whirl and you'll forget most of your prejudices about it. Like any aRPG it starts off slow but it's not long before the skills come in quick, and the level ups are pretty frequent. Most skills are very functional and there are oodles of unique items and gear sets.

It's a good game.

I don’t generally like ARPGs and I don’t really care for pixel graphics, but Chronicon is a very good game and I enjoyed it a lot.

If absolutely nothing else, it is worth it to be exposed to creativity by one person (the solo chronicon dev) that exceeds the creativity of multi million dollar teams on games like Diablo or world of Warcraft.

Chronicon is something special, and I’m asking you, as someone who would be turned off by this game by looking at the store page, to give it a shot- you won’t regret it.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Now I engage in my semi-annual exercise of looking at my wishlist and failing to remember why I added most of the games I have on it. In doing that, one jumped out at me that actually looked like it could be interesting -- Fort Triumph. Possibly I am just falling under the spell of the magic words in the summary -- "turn-based combat of XCOM with the world exploration of HOMM" -- which words check some pretty big boxes for me.

Anyone have actual hands on experience with this and thoughts about whether it's worth picking up?

I loved fort triumph, it’s a fantasy xcom where you can use the environment to set up some pretty game-breaking galaxy brain combo attacks. I highly recommend it. It won’t give you as many hours of fun as xcom, but well worth the money spent.

But your post makes me wonder- what ever happened to HOMM, did they just kill it after deciding that it absolutely had to have a AAA budget, laughably bad story, and unlockable artifacts using proprietary currency in their proprietary web store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this. Like not keeping those sort of metrics is really interesting.

You’d think they’d want to know that stuff.

It’s not that they don’t keep them, it’s that they don’t want to give them to Apple . It would be trivial for someone to put together a report like this (in reality), but the legal argument is that 1) it is unduly burdensome; and 2) Apple doesn’t get to ask for internal corporate data for no reason.

Frankly, the request is bullshit and valve is 100% correct in its response.