Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Middle Earth Shadow of War

They removed all the micro transactions and the grind points online to unlock single player stuff right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky Route 0 is done. 7 years of "Yeah it's not finished but what is there is outstanding" can finally end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

haldolium posted:

yeah, it is surprisingly OK to play if you like shooting Terminators (and not much else). For a low budget shooter it does a lot of things right you wouldn't expect (or even be in a game like that). I don't think it's worth 40€ though, maybe 15-20.

If you like shooting terminators and want a low budget shooter the only correct choice is Binary Domain.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

RAGE 1 is bad. There are people who will tell you, nay insist that it has good enemy AI but they are perfidious knaves and should not be trusted.

Just skip it.

If you got RAGE for $5 play it on easy and quit the moment it is no longer fun. There have been so many other good FPS games since then, Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, Borderlands 2/3 I guess. If you really are hard up for a post apocalyptic wasteland game then Mad Max could fit the bill.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It is ethically acceptable to take bad people's free stuff so long as you don't thank them for it.

On the ethically acceptable note, are the Hatred devs alt right toxic poo poo heads? I remember a massive dust up at the time about Hatred being a school shooter, cop shooter simulator but it pretty much dropped off the map after a few months,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

if you have a backlog of actually good games, lords of the fallen simply is not worth the time.

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Okami HD

_LKE9-DKAT9-BPWQ_

Number of kingdoms in Westeros+1

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zombie Game Review Time

Dead Rising: I'm growing to like it as I disregard the time limit.... is what I want to say, but goddamnit frank stop dying to a zombie just grabbing your sleeve and eating you! I can't even make it past the first boss/shooting section because I haven't figured out how to navigate zombie crowds yet. At least I'm leveling up in the process!

Dead Rising as a franchise is more miss then hit. The games were big at the time for "huge open world zombie game" but by now they're decent at best, with Dead Rising 2 OTR as the clear best of the first 3. Dead Rising 3/4 have this weird mental overlap in my head as being identical because in the time between DR3 came out and DR4 I can't remember hearing anything special or interesting about them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

If you happen to be good at games, be sure to die sometimes, lots of things happen when you die and it's okay.

Dying has literally no consequences in the game besides a few minutes wasted on a current mission if active.

It has many fun and enjoyable benefits thanks to the overall design of the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That is an amazing collection of games and if I didn't own all the ones from it I like then I'd be buying them now.

It's basically a best of the last 8 years of novel crpg games from the Kickstarter era. Shadowrun and Pillars of Eternity.

Pillars of Eternity is what you get from a bunch of modern devs trying to encapsulate what made the early 2000s crpgs some of the all time greats. A bit of a learning curve but the difficulty settings are super generous and there's tons of flexibility and you can retrain any character at any time just by finding an inn.

The sequel is more of the same with some core game mechanics changed, also a optional turn based mode that completely changes everything about how combat works that some people think is the greatest thing ever and some hate it killed their entire family.

The Joe Man posted:

Great if you don't have the base game already, really lovely sale if you just need DLC or the season pass.

However, buried deep down in the store is Torment Numenara for like 80% off, so that's decent. I'd wait until the Humble Monthly drops tomorrow though before picking anything up.

That game is kind of the dog of the bunch. Torment Numenara has a lot of interesting and unique things going on but in general doesn't translate to a good game. I've repeated seen people point out that the game basically railroads you into a certain path despite all the possible choices.

Also, given that years ago it was hailed as a great game that shows how you don't need combat for an rpg and now Disco Elysium exist? Yeah Torment can go back to the $5 sale impulse purchase zone.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 6, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

goferchan posted:

The article says it exceeded sales goals, they just spent way too much money developing it and the bonus is based on profits, not sales. 95 million for the base game, $140 million for the game + DLC, and if I'm understanding correctly they didn't even have to pay for licensing UE4 because they went Epic exclusive. 140 million is crazy, that's like GTA or Red Dead money.

Yeah that make sense. BL1 was a massive hit out of nowhere, Gearbox blew up and expectations for high for BL2. It's was decent and fun but had ton of problems but Gearbox i.e Pitchford got so high off his own farts the idea that BL3 was going to be a AAA GTAV-esque mega hit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I actually quite liked the real world sections in AC2 (or Brotherhood, it's been a while) because they were decidedly okay and gave the impression of Desmond actually learning through the Animus which would obviously pay off with a really cool modern day Assassins Creed right?

Nah. All buildup, no payoff.

I never finished the AC2 trilogy but the first 2 were loving amazing at the time and haven't been matched by most games shy of Breath of the Wild or the newer AC games.

All that hype and then AC3, being set in revolutionary America was the biggest wet fart of a franchise I can think of, and the only reason the series kept going was AC4 was wildly different and it was pirates and open seas adventure which everyone loved.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What Remains of Edith Finch is really amazing. I've been aware of "walking simulators" since Gone Home made a splash way back but never actually played one. It completely drew me in from minute 1 all the way to the end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Picayune posted:

Maybe a weird question, but: does What Remains of Edith Finch have multiple endings, or is it always the same one?

I saw it best described as a magic realism novel in game form. There's not a surplus of hidden objects or trinkets to find and a small handful of achievements. It's a game meant to be experienced in a single sitting.

This quarantine hell-world is finally breaking me of by crippling backlog anxiety and I'm getting to play some good games.

The Legend of Korra
is nice, if pretty short and has at best 10 minutes of story material. It's clearly a time attack/score attack arcade type game and the combat definitely keeps pace with the game to remain fun up until the last level.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is a low budget 80s action movie game where something is exploding almost every few seconds while you murder your through armies of mining corp security and giant bugs. It's clearly made on a very tight budget but is just goofy enough to maintain a sense of enjoyment especially with all the trash talking from the death mask to the main character.

Prey 2017 was outstanding one of the best games in recent years and Doom 2016 was a fun murder-fest that started to drag on in the last 1/4 but kept up the momentum to make it worth beating.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone played Resident Evil 6 lately?

You start as Leon Kennedy after a virus has swept through the area killing everyone and the president, end up going to track down the source of the virus and destroy the secret lab producing it. The other pov characters discover more along the same.

It's called the C-virus and the source is a secret lab in China.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

I loved it, even if I don't think the overarching story sticks the landing as well as the individual vignettes do. YMMV, though.

I can see how some of those scenes hit super hard for anyone personally affected by something similar, enough to make them put the game down and never want to play again. The whole thing with the cannery story probably spoke to a lot of people who knew someone who went down a similar life path or struggled themselves.

It'd be like playing a game where you watch someone cutting themselves repeatedly for self-harm, having suffered through it or seen a loved one do the same it just hits a certain emotional trigger and becomes too much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

It does have a lot of child death in it. I've definitely had times in my life when that would have been a big nope.

The bathtub chapter starts and you immediately know what is going to happen and that you are going to watch it go down; I can see someone sensitive to that topic immediately quitting and uninstalling the game. Similarly for people who had abusive childhoods there's a lot going on in general that might be too much.

The cannery was the point where I was completely drawn in to what was going on. However looking back it definitely seems like that was clearly the most developed and built out story and some of the others just existed to take up space. Little Billy's peach eating adventures and make daughter learn hard scrabble survival skills felt kind of forced in there to pad out the ones they really spent time on, little girl animal warg, comic book horror cliche, and the aforementioned cannery.

The overall story, family curse w/weird creepy house, was a nice framing device but had tons of missed potential. the whole curse thing was mental illness right? And just plain bad luck

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

Yeah and I absolutely hate this trend. Clever AI things, terrain destruction and interactivity has absolutely stagnated for over a decade now and in fact regressed in a lot of games. Think like Bad Company 2 there was nothing more :smug: feeling than steamrolling through a village and just leaving behind a burning rubble husk as you move onto the next point, DICE significantly treaded that back to the point of BF3/4 were virtually completely static outside of some scripted destruction, and it sucked. Hell even Red Faction had pretty neat proof-of-concept terrain destruction nearly 20 years ago that was better than most anyone has attempted since. I guess Control is kind of similar to RF and does some neat things but it's like largely 99% static and iirc non-permanent and regenerates next time you walk through. Why can't I just set a forest on fire in FC4 and let it burn and stay burnt? Why can't I blow up some roadside shacks? RAM, hard drive space, and all that poo poo is super cheap and bountiful these days, a slightly larger save file doesn't mean much.

Graphic fidelity is pretty much at it's relative limitation for hardware power with not much reward for a lot more budget to produce incremental improvements. There's some fuckery like RTX which kind of helps but it's still just a few around-the-perimeter tweaks. Like it seems a no brainer to instead focus efforts on engine deformations, interactions and little details, some more clever AI-y stuff (without resorting to wallhacks-type) and stuff like that as a way to improve things.

If I had to guess its probably expensive and time consuming in a way that leads to little perceived benefit. Its got to be exponentially more difficult as you increase the game's complexity both in graphics and functionality.

Red Faction Armageddon did that, and in early development their designed buildings would collapse when put into the game engine. They had to hire some real life architectural engineers to show them how to design stable buildings based around the game physics.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's wild how they seemed to have gotten things right in JC2 and have stumbled ever since.

To this day I have not heard of a single game with the sheer amount of fun potential as JC2. The demo alone would been worth an easy $10-20 to play around in. That wire grappling hook was the most versatile game tool of the decade.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tripwood posted:

The graphics haven't aged well at all but it is a very good DND 3.5 simulator with pausable real-time gameplay. Non magic-using classes are pretty boring to play though, but Rogues aren't TOO bad because they can use scrolls. If you're a DND nerd, you'll probably like it. I got obsessed with it as a teenager and played a lot of online coop, there even was a site to old school match-make roleplay games with an in-game DM that can play behind the scenes, spawn monsters, NPCs, etc. Never seen anything like that since then. There are a lot of user-made modules out there which go from not bad to excellent.

Every early D&D game since the days of the gold box were wildly impressive at the time because they represented a massive leap in quality and potential given the core playerbase were people playing pen and paper. I imagine Baldur's Gate was borderline revolutionary because it captured the go anywhere do anything spirit of the genre. Having a outstanding follow up that improved everything drastically created a legacy still in play today.

NWN and NWN2 hit right around the mid -aughts when the frenzy seemed to peak and the pattern of adapting PnP very literally to a video game was seen as the less optimal way to do it. Being built around 3.5 Ed which was rapidly collapsing under the weight of its own bloat made it more niche then its potential and being bug ridden messes (Obsidian and the standard excuses) turned a lot of casual players off.

Before gamergate outed a lot of "well actually its about ethics" people in gaming communities there were a lot of really, really toxic aspects to the user made fanbases treated like it was normal that could easily turn people off the idea of getting involved.

That, and since Dragon Age tried to be a classic PC WRPG then tied a noose and hung itself to poo poo out 2 more games a lot of games in that style recently have been either poo poo games, to grognard-y, or cheap attempts to cash in on nostalgia.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

Okay I'm genuinely not trying to pick on you here but that post doesn't actually say anything useful about NWN or am I losing my mind.

As for the person asking is NWN SotU and HotUD are worth your time, probably. They're not perfect and even the EE of NWN is in some ways a chore to play but also I'm not exactly unbiased here because I like the vanilla NWN campaign (parts of it anyway) so probably don't listen to me.

It was great for what it was when it was made but anyone used to recent PC RPGs might find it obtuse as hell. Learning 3/3.5 Ed rules is like trying to make sense of a new language while drunk. And I find myself replaying the Baldur's Gate games and realizing how confusing some much of it can be even with all the details and needing trial and error attempts to make sense of what does and doesn't work. And this is for the EE editions where much more is spelled out directly for you.

If you don't know the leveling and game system going in its very easy to make a useless character. A straight class character is mediocre-good because so much of the meta-gaming has you taking a random class level here and there for an amazing synergy.

NWN 2 was especially brutal because if you go in blind you'll more likely to end up missing out on everything if you aren't setting your stats at level 1 for planning to take a specific feat at level 8 so you are eligible for a level of X class at level 11. I loved that game but it basically required a bunch of UL and QoL mods to make sense of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep. It’s why it has a freak out and crashes on loading screens so easily on modern hardware. Various things don’t play nice with the ionlauncher.exe it runs in the background to reboot the game.

There's quite a few legacy old games on steam with depressing problems trying to run on modern systems that will never get fixed. Just from my experience

Jade Empire: have to mess with where the .exe is located in the steam folder, make a workaround to get it to load

Jet Set Radio: doesn't create saves properly,

Fallout 3: Big warning about not compatible with windows 7

And in general a lot of old or slapped together PC ports that didn't make changes to menu or UI so some of them won't even let you quit a game without having to alt-f4.

i've seen quite a few others that have massive warnings on the discussion pages about broken this or that and developers have checked out and it'll never get fixed. Most of them are "ran out of money game done" but there's assholes like Stardrive where he gave up on making MP work after promising for years and started promoting Stardrive 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s why I’m building a retro PC I can slap windows XP on and play some old stuff that doesn’t work well with multi-core processors or windows 7. That and I need a project and am out of upgrades I can make to my gaming PCs. I’ll probably have to either dig up my CD’s or find GoG versions of the games, though. I can’t imagine Steam and something made of 2005 parts would work well together at all.

And seriously, gently caress the Stardrive guy. That game was nowhere near done when he abandoned it for the sequel, and my understanding is he never finished the sequel, either! The thread for that game was loving amazing just for his meltdowns though.

The retro PC is a good idea but gently caress the new steam UI it chugs and stutters on my PC that can run Witcher 3 fairly well at low settings. I cant imagine it would even load on windows XP.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Det_no posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1253292802005491715

Aah. It's good to see that even in this new world we live in, some things will never change.

Only Bethesda could make a radiant AI so bad it looped back around to good and started trying to destroy the game to experience the sweet relief of death.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm buying Chimera Squad on principle now since it both sounds like a fun chill Xcom-lite and gamer chuds are losing their poo poo over it.

I saw the post for installing the qol mods for xcom 2, I remember seeing a lot of mentions of disabling a "timer" in game to make it more relaxed and feasible is that pretty much what it is? A bunch of minor stuff to make the fine details less stressful?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the timer is mostly there to prevent XCOM 1's problem of the best solution to almost any situation being very, very slow movement of the entire team in order to trigger enemy patrols one by one. There are mods to relax or remove it if you feel stressed by it but it's not that bad and makes for more exciting missions.

I thought it was because once you trigger an enemy they all immediately get to move next and if you arent turtling your way forward suddenly a wave of plasma descends onto the most visible soldiers.

Yeah. The Bureau had much more interesting writing in that regard. It's a shame it was saddled with a mediocre game.

I loved The Bureau. Its a Mass Effect clone and its biggest issues is you have to be really hands on with your team to work effectively but when it works its great fun.

The plasma pistol DLC also made a lot of things much easier then they would've otherwise been.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explosivo posted:

The XCom 2 bundle is a fantastic deal and I highly recommend checking that out if you've played the first game already. XCom 2 on it's own was kinda meh but WOTC really makes it a complete game.

So, any actual reason the DLCs have such intensely negative reviews?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I finished episode 1 of Life is Strange and aside from wanting to guillotine almost every single character I get the feeling I play the game 'wrong' by not rewinding every choice.

I feel like the game expects you to do this so a normal 1-2 hour episode is supposed to be 3-4 instead.

I don't really care about the other side of the coin and all the "x will remember this" and "this will cause consequences" hits pretty hollow since Telltale beat the idea to death and in reality it doesn't change all the much.

I like it enough as a VN/walking simulator to keep playing and saw someone once basically describe it as Crunchy Hipster Manic Pixie Twin Peaks so I'm wholly invested in seeing that play out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Is it like mandatory that every games poster be this perpetually miserable shitlord who doesn't recall what it was like to be young and stupid or something? Or were y'all just the "smarter than everyone else" insufferable shitheads when you were that age?

I guess if nothing else you can have a couple points for not describing it as "twee"

I was more referring to the fact that it's set in a private boarding school for art and photography.

Literally the only people are 1% failsons/daughters or passionate cool weirdo scholarship kids.

Saying "hella" a lot is less annoying then rich kids treating everyone else like human scum.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This is an insane amount of great games. Sleeping Dogs alone is easily worth $20, Just Cause 2 is basically the perfect destruction simulator, and the nu-Tomb Raider games are pretty fun action adventure games. The Soul Reaver series is a Zelda-esque exploration game with a pretty good story and decent gameplay even with Soul Reaver 1 fairly rough and unpolished but there's a massive mod project slowly finishing up to fix it and restore the massive amount of on disc content that was cut from the original game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I can’t praise sleeping dogs enough. I replayed it recently, including all the dlc and side missions, and I kind of already want to play it again. This edition includes all the dlc, and there’s quite a bit of it.

Really sucks we’ll never get a sequel, that game did so many things right.

It was during S-E desperate shuffling to claim to their investors that games like CoD selling 10 million copies was something S-E could easily do as well, or maybe it was just outright lying about sales projections to cover their asses.

In a sale cycle where they launched a new Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping dogs, the two franchise games had their best sale numbers ever and Sleeping Dogs was a massive hit for a new IP and the games missing the sales projections by almost half. They couldn't kill their franchise series without looking really bad so Sleeping Dogs took the blame as underperfoming as their excuse for their "terrible" sales year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life is Strange Episode 2 is better then 1. Once all the intro tutorial mechanics wear off you get a pretty engaging story focused around the main character, her personal relationship(s), and the town as a whole. I'm seeing some blatant Twin Peaks easter eggs which is a good sign I hope that the game devs took their cues from that series for building out a narrative.

The forced gameplay is decent to boring as poo poo. Roaming around a junkyard to find some bottles and stuck on finding the last one isn't fun when the core aspect of this game is engaging in character interactions and choice making.

The choices so far really do seem like you can play it back and experience a very different story. There was a lot of hype over Episode 2 having a shocking moment but it wasn't a surprise at all. I get that feeling for a lot of what is going on, I think I have a good idea of what will happen and make choices on that assumption. However, all I remember about that is after The Wolf Among Us episode 1 dropped and people raved about it a ton of people were posting that they were almost certain they had figured out the mystery (they had?) and as a result the developers scrambled to throw a bunch of poo poo into the game to change the original reveal because they wanted a surprise ending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Silk truk has arrive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life is Strange seems like a team was working on episodes 1-4 and a entirely separate team had no contact with them other then scawled messages on a napkin and worked on episode 5.

I still liked it, but god drat did it kill any desire I had to go back and replay the game.

edit: Great soundtrack though, really helped set the mood and tone.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 12, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

The weirdest thing about PoE2 is that it is unquestionably a better game than the first. Absolutely everything is better executed.

And yet it still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I still really like it, but I've never finished it. I obsessively played the first, griped about its flaws, saw the flaws get rectified in the sequel, but the sequel left me less…whelmed? How does that even work? It's completely asinine.

Still a good game though. I'm a bit sad that they didn't put a character as repulsive as Durance into the sequel.

Also, everyone should play Tyranny. Like, right now.

Huge bummer that Poe2 and Tyranny were low sellers. It kind of killed the idea that a single player party based heavily narrative focused rpg is a good idea for a big studio to back.

Larian are the only other major game company doing that, and it looks like Baldur's Gate 3 is drawing from their style of Divinity Original Sin 1&2.

edit: As a follow up to going nearly the entire day dazed after the ending of Life is Strange, I bought Before the Storm and started it up. I'm probably going to buy LiS2 as soon as I finish that. I know Telltale ate poo poo with their rapid expansions and license grabbing but Dontnod struck gold and I can't imagine them not making LiS into a continuing franchise or possibly expanding the original game out more.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luxury handset posted:

i really appreciated that in LIS you had magical time bending powers but in LIS:BTS your super power was being the most seventeen year old teen on the planet

Those really aren't spoilers since they're described as core gameplay mechanics in promotional literature.

The original Life is Strange games benefit from being episodic adventures stories where you develop a deep connection to the characters, the locations, and the town itself is practically a character. The 'powers' in each game suffer from being used as a central part of driving the story in terms of the player's choices but in LiS as a gameplay mechanic that seemed more wasted potential then anything else. Being able to re-do a decision/choice based game events without save scumming is a great idea but it diminishes the impact of the choices and outcomes. If you don't get invested in the game as a whole you sort of go through it without really connecting emotionally or personally to any of the choices since the "fix-it" button was always an option and you aren't dealing with the later effects of a decision you made that had immediate and dramatic consequences.

I'm thinking about buying Life is Strange 2, but reading through the game thread (which ironically was maybe 12-15 regular posters several of who have been perma'd since then) paints a pretty clear picture that while the core idea is the same it takes a very different approach to the narrative improving in many ways but losing a lot of the charm from the first game. Dontnod's next game has dropped the Life is Strange title so maybe they learned from it.

I really can't praise enough how much I enjoyed LiS and Before the Storm. I haven't had a gaming experience like that in years and it'll probably remain as an all time great.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Did you actually play beyond Chapter 1? The game does play with that a fair bit.

I did, I was more referring to certain things where you make a choice but the immediate outcome is wildly different then you expected. All the long term stuff that builds up like "X will remember this" or there's a consequence like 30 minutes later are much better as far as the story developing from the player's actions.

Similar thing happens in BTS, but I was stuck with the lovely outcome and just ran with it rather then save scumming because the game plays out more like a visual novel or show where the decision effects are more significant to the experience then getting the optimal route (like you could try for in LiS).

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I started my first run months ago and just kinda bailed mostly bc the Steam update or the game itself totally boned my game pad control mapping each time I loaded it up.

Its a very simple work-around to fix. If you do it right when you connect the controller you should get a notification in steam that it's loading the controller config for "USER"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Oh and also, all the little decisions they made pushing the game towards realism by making poo poo more tedious and annoying and requiring unnecessarily extra travel time, unskippable animations, and button presses for every little thing you do made the experience of actually playing the game suck along with the depressing plot. Yay.

There's the venn diagram of realism vs fun to play and way too often devs think focusing heavily on realism is enough to overcome lovely game design and unfun levels/sections all because of a "deep" narrative.

You can tell a deep and meaningful story, but also make a fun game; they aren't mutually exclusive and forcing the PC into monotonous game play for story purpose is either going to work really well in small doses or just make everyone talk about how much they hated that part.

Also, not every deep and serious game has to compete for the title of that years best misery porn. Things happen bad and good and if you don't balance them properly its just angst for the sake of angst.

Last of Us 2 I'm really expecting to have some divisive reactions if the leaks are at all accurate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk: if you have no idea about the current state of GTA5, this recent USGamer piece explains a whole lot about the fact that SP was just abandoned outright and the cash/power creep the MP has turned into. It's a wild read if you're like me and didn't touch the thing.

It's pretty insane but isn't Rockstar making like $100 mil a month off the the MP at this point? Why the gently caress would you spend any dev time on the SP when you're making more per month then most games ever make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Walking Simulator's sure came a long way since Dear Ester.

It's literally just walking, non stop, the entire time, no interactivity at all just monologues that trigger once you reach certain points.

I'm honestly surprised they're even charging money for it. It feels like at best a tech demo or proof of concept for some actual game.